Steering Feel

Started by 2o6, October 23, 2011, 07:09:02 PM

hotrodalex

Tail happy is easier for me to drive than under steering pig.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 26, 2014, 10:24:40 AM
Tail happy is easier for me to drive than under steering pig.

Kind of a blanket statement... I'd rather take a progressively understeering car than a snap oversteering car.

My car used to snap oversteer like crazy. I think the alignment was messed up to the point where it had toe out in the front, plus shitty tires. New suspension, new alignment and new tires helped all of that. The one time the back started sliding at Laguna Seca it was so easy to control.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on August 25, 2014, 06:27:27 PM
Yeah. You can't run 3 degrees and a ton of toe in.

I'm running stock top mounts just fine. Pillow ball mounts with camber plates ride like shit for the most part. Not worth it for most daily drivers IMO.
Lol struts.

It's fun seeing all the different options for my car. If I keep it as a money pit... mite try spherical bushings :mask: Roads are glass smooth around here
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

12,000 RPM

Quote from: thecarnut on August 26, 2014, 07:01:28 PM
Kind of a blanket statement... I'd rather take a progressively understeering car than a snap oversteering car.

My car used to snap oversteer like crazy. I think the alignment was messed up to the point where it had toe out in the front, plus shitty tires. New suspension, new alignment and new tires helped all of that. The one time the back started sliding at Laguna Seca it was so easy to control.
Yea understeer is good for the street. A 1 way diff is also good for the street.

12,000 RPM

I love the feeling of the tension in the wheel and ashphalt chewing up tires at the limits of adhesion. I don't know what you guys are talking about with this no steering feel business.

r0tor

Quote from: thecarnut on August 25, 2014, 08:22:46 PM
I'm at 2.7 degrees in the front, 2.4 in the back. The Miata can get crazy amounts of camber. I was apparently too low when I went to get my car aligned because the guy could only get 2.7 degrees minimum in the back. I raised it a tiny bit (gotta keep it looking nice, yo) and told him to min out the camber in the back, then added a bit more in the front. I've got 0 toe all around, as well, and even on my 200 treadwear RS3's I'm not seeing any wear problems. I also asked the guy to give me max caster, and he got the caster to like 9.5 degrees in the front. I couldn't turn my wheels lock to lock because the wheels would hit the fender liners. :lol:

I think I'm at around 7.5 degrees caster.

Also, with 2.8 degrees in the front and ~2 in the back you must get crazy oversteer when pushed, unless you've got no rear bar or soft rear spring rates compared to the front (although there are probably other factors I'm not taking into account).

The RX8 and NC suspension geometry is such that it gains camber with suspension compression faster in the front then the rear and also loses toe with suspension compression.  So I have -2 deg camber in the rear, -1 deg in the front, and a smidge of toe in on both axles (pretty much the stock setup).
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Secret Chimp

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 29, 2014, 11:11:24 AM
I love the feeling of the tension in the wheel and ashphalt chewing up tires at the limits of adhesion. I don't know what you guys are talking about with this no steering feel business.

They are the height of unthusiasm. It is the most direct connection you can have with the road.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Raza

Quote from: Secret Chimp on September 11, 2014, 12:43:22 AM
They are the height of unthusiasm. It is the most direct connection you can have with the road.

Because steering feel cannot be quantifiably measured and compared in magazines, it doesn't matter. What can steering feel tell me that 0-60 can't? 0-100? 1/4 mile? Lateral g? 0-100km/h? HP/L? Automatic transmission shift speed? Rear leg room? Front shoulder room? Fifth passenger hip room? Number of cupholders? Whether or not I have to commit the sin of taking my key out of my pocket to start the car? Nothing.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rich

Ariel Atom and Elise have steering feel, precision, and feedback owned.  Nothing else I've driven comes close.

Quote from: Raza  on August 18, 2014, 09:02:45 PM
Elise is best at everything.

Except shifting.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT