Do we sometimes have unrealistic expecations?

Started by 2o6, November 15, 2011, 01:01:09 PM

2o6

I was reading the comments on autoblog how some users don't like the 500 because it's too slow. (I don't really think it is)

I sometimes question the need for all this HP. I drove a CVT automatic Versa, rated at 106HP and before I knew it, I was cruising along at 75MPH. Didn't take no time at all, and I really didn't have more than say 30% throttle down to get there. Not much throttle to maintain that speed, either. I'm by no means against extra power, but in context of daily drivers, I don't understand the need for so much more HP (if the smaller engine provides adequate performance, better MPG and a lower cost).

Heck, a new Kia Rio comes standard with 138HP. My old Ford Focus when new came standard with 130HP, and the SPI model only had 107-110HP. People didn't seem to complain back then, and the car sold well.

The new Optima/Sonata 2.4L comes standard with 200HP. I drove one a few weeks ago. I really question the need for the turbo model.

My brother bought a four-cylinder Camry because he thought the V6 was unnecessary (and the fact he got a great deal).

I'm by no means against extra HP, and I am aware that there is a finite balance between gearing, weight, aerodynamics and such that affect fuel economy. But sometimes I wonder if we can find a "sweet spot" between these categories to produce more fuel efficient cars. I think the Cruze "Eco" hits the mark pretty well, as well as maybe new 40MPG cars like the Focus and "Sky activ" Mazda 3.

Maybe I just expect these small subcompacts to get substantially better MPG then they do. Seems like we could trade of HP for a few MPG, but maybe I'm wrong.

It seems like Americans want their cars to accelerate to 60 in 2 seconds, yet still get 40MPG. I don't know if this is a good thing, especially since driver skill seems to be rapidly deteriorating, and speed limits stay the same.

Eye of the Tiger

I get into plenty of trouble with my 110hp Accent. More power would be fun, and less power would be almost unacceptable.
I think mundane, family popu-cars, like Camries, are getting too fast.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Vinsanity

I know I don't need a bunch of HP. 200 hp in a 3500-lb car would be enough to keep me satisfied, if not thrilled. But I'm always in search of the most bang for my buck, and what kind of enthusiast would I be if I didn't get the most HP for my hard-earned dollar?

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 15, 2011, 01:35:22 PM
I know I don't need a bunch of HP. 200 hp in a 3500-lb car would be enough to keep me satisfied, if not thrilled. But I'm always in search of the most bang for my buck, and what kind of enthusiast would I be if I didn't get the most HP for my hard-earned dollar?
Would it make you any less of an enthusiast if you were looking for the most fun for your dollar instead of just flat out HP?

I'd much rather take a lower power, lighter, more balanced car than just looking at simple HP figures to decide which car I'd rather get.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

NomisR

From what I see from the way most people drive, they don't need more power.  They don't even bother using what little power they have in their cars.

I've never owned a car over 240hp.. but all my vehicles are plenty quick.  Good enough for me.

Speed_Racer

I do think some people have unrealistic expectations. What we end up with are perhaps cars that do a lot of things OK, but excel at none. If you want a luxury sedan with a good engine note but quiet at cruising, sporty handling without a rough ride, and quick acceleration but easy on gas, you get a car that compromises on all of them. Then you complain.

Human nature I guess.

Xer0

If automakers can make compact cars that pack 150hp and get 40mpg to the highway, it doesn't matter if we need it or not, we will buy it.  That is just the march of progress and when you begin to talk about how compact and economy cars have too much excess is when we know we are doing a pretty damn good job. 

SVT666

I get to very illegal speeds with just 170 hp and 2700 lbs, but it takes a while to get there and when going uphill on a freeway, accelerating requires dropping three gears.  If my car had 250 hp it would be perfect.  If it had 300 hp, it would be extra perfect.

NomisR

Quote from: SVT666 on November 15, 2011, 03:23:49 PM
I get to very illegal speeds with just 170 hp and 2700 lbs, but it takes a while to get there and when going uphill on a freeway, accelerating requires dropping three gears.  If my car had 250 hp it would be perfect.  If it had 300 hp, it would be extra perfect.
2700lb + 300hp + 4 door wagon with 40+ mpg sounds like a good proposition. 

Raza

200 horses and 3200 pounds here; what I want is more grip off the line, not necessarily more power. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

I'm usually happy with ~270hp.  Probably a bit less than that up here at 5k feet.  But in general I have no problems accelerating in any situation, unless I happen to be in the wrong gear and catch the turbo napping.

cawimmer430

There are some great comments on that site. I get the feeling that most of those guys think every friggin car is designed for competitive track performance. It gets so bad over there that they even discuss 0-60 and slalom times of minivans!

"DUDE, GET THE NEW NISSAN QUEST!!! 306-horsepower, 0-60 faster than a Ferrari 348 (and cheaper to!) and 10 mpg!!!"

Dear god...  :facepalm:  :lol:

The funniest people on Autoblog are the ones with these comments:

"I would never buy a car that does 0-60 in 7 seconds but 6.5 seconds are ok."  :nutty:

"I'm paying $ 1 million for a Veyron and it can't even outdo a $ 70K Nissan GT-R on the track? No thanks!"  :nutty:

"Man, car A sucks. 35 mpg? Pathetic. Car B does 35.2 mpg. Now that's class leading!"  :nutty:

More power is never bad, but all in all most modern cars aren't underpowered and do quite well in daily driving.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

hotrodalex

What's wrong with wanting more? If it's possible, why wouldn't I want a better car?

Onslaught

I just want them to go on a diet. Cars are to big and fat these days. But I understand why this is and I know it won't change.

I have a feeling that in the future all my fun cars will be from the 90's back and my A-B car will just be something modern with a warranty.

2o6

Quote from: hotrodalex on November 15, 2011, 03:56:31 PM
What's wrong with wanting more? If it's possible, why wouldn't I want a better car?

I'm questioning the need for that, especially if more economy can be had for it.

NomisR

Quote from: Onslaught on November 15, 2011, 04:11:02 PM
I just want them to go on a diet. Cars are to big and fat these days. But I understand why this is and I know it won't change.

I have a feeling that in the future all my fun cars will be from the 90's back and my A-B car will just be something modern with a warranty.

Yeah, the heavier the cars are, the more they need to do to make it safe and the heavier they because.. it's a never ending vicious cycle. 

sportyaccordy

I'd rather have less power to be honest. I enjoyed banging through the gears of my 160HP, 2900lb car more than any other car I've driven... including the SL55 AMG I had the fortune of driving.

I live on mainly flat ground though, so I could see needing more power in the hills. But for every day driving, give me something like a Versa. Nothing comes close to a bike so there's no point in even trying IMO.

Vinsanity

Quote from: thecarnut on November 15, 2011, 02:00:37 PM
Would it make you any less of an enthusiast if you were looking for the most fun for your dollar instead of just flat out HP?

I'd much rather take a lower power, lighter, more balanced car than just looking at simple HP figures to decide which car I'd rather get.

I guess it's just a personal preference. Passing power is more useful to me than cornering prowess. Some of my passengers already get mad at me for going 15-20 mph faster than the recommended offramp speed, and that's in a 3600-lb sedan.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 15, 2011, 05:46:32 PM
I guess it's just a personal preference. Passing power is more useful to me than cornering prowess. Some of my passengers already get mad at me for going 15-20 mph faster than the recommended offramp speed, and that's in a 3600-lb sedan.
That was my point - it's just personal preference. I'd take a smaller, more flickable car that can rip around corners than a faster car that sucks in the corners (which I did). Doesn't make me any less of an enthusiast.

IMO, I agree with Onslaught. All cars sold today could really go on a diet, lose some weight and also lose some power to gain even more fuel economy while not sacrificing performance.
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

hotrodalex

Quote from: thecarnut on November 15, 2011, 06:39:39 PM
That was my point - it's just personal preference. I'd take a smaller, more flickable car that can rip around corners than a faster car that sucks in the corners (which I did). Doesn't make me any less of an enthusiast.

IMO, I agree with Onslaught. All cars sold today could really go on a diet, lose some weight and also lose some power to gain even more fuel economy while not sacrificing performance.

I agree with the lose weight part, but not the lose power part. They'll gain fuel economy by just losing weight, so why waste the performance gain?

Cookie Monster

Quote from: hotrodalex on November 15, 2011, 07:15:57 PM
I agree with the lose weight part, but not the lose power part. They'll gain fuel economy by just losing weight, so why waste the performance gain?
To get even better fuel economy? They'll gain performance just by being lighter...
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Payman

Having driven my brother's Viper and 911, plus raced stockcars for a few years, power is addicting. Smoking a Viper's tires through the first 3 gears is something to be experienced, and carving the 911 through a winding road at illegal speeds is better than any drug out there. I ache to build a 2300 lb FF Cobra with around 400 hp. Perhaps you don't understand it because you haven't experienced it yet?

hotrodalex

Quote from: thecarnut on November 15, 2011, 07:19:52 PM
To get even better fuel economy? They'll gain performance just by being lighter...

You'll get better fuel economy and performance by losing weight. If you lose power as well, you'll just gain double the fuel economy. I'll take the option that gives me a little of both rather than just fuel economy.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rockraven on November 15, 2011, 07:34:11 PM
Having driven my brother's Viper and 911, plus raced stockcars for a few years, power is addicting. Smoking a Viper's tires through the first 3 gears is something to be experienced, and carving the 911 through a winding road at illegal speeds is better than any drug out there. I ache to build a 2300 lb FF Cobra with around 400 hp. Perhaps you don't understand it because you haven't experienced it yet?

To be honest thougjh, nobody is expecting to lay rubber through three gears wih a Fiat 500. Small, FWD cars provide their entertainment through different means.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Payman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 15, 2011, 08:14:49 PM
To be honest thougjh, nobody is expecting to lay rubber through three gears wih a Fiat 500. Small, FWD cars provide their entertainment through different means.

Oh, absolutely. One of the most entertaining cars I've owned was a '73 Karmann Ghia. 0-60 in 25 seconds, but a blast to drive. You'd have to take a Corvette to 160 to get the same thrills of driving the Ghia at 60.

Vinsanity

Quote from: hotrodalex on November 15, 2011, 07:15:57 PM

I agree. Asking for less power is like asking for less money. Pointless.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 15, 2011, 08:54:12 PM
I agree. Asking for less power is like asking for less money. Pointless.
No, asking for less power is asking for more money.

I already cry at the pump filling up my car. Anyways, as I said, it's all just IMO.
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Speed_Racer

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 15, 2011, 03:51:49 PM
There are some great comments on that site. I get the feeling that most of those guys think every friggin car is designed for competitive track performance. It gets so bad over there that they even discuss 0-60 and slalom times of minivans!

"DUDE, GET THE NEW NISSAN QUEST!!! 306-horsepower, 0-60 faster than a Ferrari 348 (and cheaper to!) and 10 mpg!!!"

Dear god...  :facepalm:  :lol:

I have that same beef. I think a car should excel at its niche, and not every car needs to be a sports car or have sports car qualities.

Onslaught

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 15, 2011, 05:46:32 PM
Fuck them. They can walk.

Do they get pissed when you use that power in passing?

Onslaught

Quote from: Rockraven on November 15, 2011, 07:34:11 PM
Thing is after you drive a fast car for sometime it seems slow after time. And you need to try and have more speed to get that addicting power feeling again.