850CSi's E90 Thread (old Cooling Issues thread)

Started by 850CSi, December 17, 2011, 05:13:19 PM

850CSi

Quote from: SVT_Power on December 19, 2011, 12:27:13 AM
How does one "program" a battery?

Not the battery itself, the car's adaptive charging system. First, if it's had a wet cell battery and you're switching to an AGM, it needs to know because AGMs are easily ruined if overcharged. Same goes if you're just switching CCA. Even if you're switching to the same type/specs it needs to be reset to adjust to a new battery from a worn out one.

850CSi

My dad is pushing hard for me to get a new car - says this is my last chance before Obamacare kicks in and his salary gets cut in half. :lol:

Some things have happened that have made it less likely I'm doing any long distance driving this winter, though. So for now, plan of action is to go back to NC and have a pressure test done, then figure things out. If the water pump needs replacement or there's another major repair in the works, my hand might be forced because at the end of the day it's my dad footing the bill for repairs at this point.

But I really don't want to sell this car. The only cars that I want are older than it. Unless someone can convince me that E36s are more reliable/much easier to work on/cheaper to repair...

CALL_911

How much $ would your dad want to shell out?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

850CSi

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 20, 2011, 12:15:33 AM
How much $ would your dad want to shell out?

He'd be willing to buy me a brand new 3er. (I'm not willing to accept that. It was probably kind of wrong IMO when I was in HS and It's probably wrong-er now given the fact that I'm hopefully less than 16 months removed from making more money than he did until he was like 35) If I end up having to change the car I really wouldn't feel comfortable taking more than $5kish MAX on top of the value of the current car from him. The irony is that my car breaking down would probably annoy me less if it wasn't his money I was using to fix it...

TL;DR:
1) My car is annoying me, but (2) I'm attached to my car partially for sentimental reasons but also because it's basically perfect for me, thus (3) I don't want to sell my car, and (4) even if I did I wouldn't know WTF to buy.

Byteme

Quote from: 850CSi on December 20, 2011, 01:11:37 AM
He'd be willing to buy me a brand new 3er. (I'm not willing to accept that. It was probably kind of wrong IMO when I was in HS and It's probably wrong-er now given the fact that I'm hopefully less than 16 months removed from making more money than he did until he was like 35) If I end up having to change the car I really wouldn't feel comfortable taking more than $5kish MAX on top of the value of the current car from him. The irony is that my car breaking down would probably annoy me less if it wasn't his money I was using to fix it...

TL;DR:
1) My car is annoying me, but (2) I'm attached to my car partially for sentimental reasons but also because it's basically perfect for me, thus (3) I don't want to sell my car, and (4) even if I did I wouldn't know WTF to buy.

Most young men would be thrilled to death if their dad bought them a new BMW 3 series.  Why wouldn't you be too? 

GoCougs

Quote from: MiataJohn on December 20, 2011, 06:11:15 AM
Most young men would be thrilled to death if their dad bought them a new BMW 3 series.  Why wouldn't you be too? 

Because he's one smart guy knowing it's not what you have that make you feel good, it's earning what you have that makes you feel good (= being spoiled is a curse).

Byteme

Quote from: GoCougs on December 20, 2011, 09:00:04 AM
Because he's one smart guy knowing it's not what you have that make you feel good, it's earning what you have that makes you feel good (= being spoiled is a curse).

I hope you are right and the reason isn't that he thinks he deserves his dad to buy him more than a new 3.  It's hard to tell from his post. 

Rich

Quote from: MiataJohn on December 20, 2011, 09:08:23 AM
I hope you are right and the reason isn't that he thinks he deserves his dad to buy him more than a new 3.  It's hard to tell from his post.  

QuoteIf I end up having to change the car I really wouldn't feel comfortable taking more than $5kish MAX on top of the value of the current car from him.

[cougs]Reading comprehension fail [/cougs]
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

850CSi

Quote from: MiataJohn on December 20, 2011, 06:11:15 AM
Most young men would be thrilled to death if their dad bought them a new BMW 3 series.  Why wouldn't you be too?  

Cause I already feel like a dick having one my dad bought me. :lol:

(I only "earned" this car by coming through on my part of a bet based on standardized test scores [so I didn't really earn it]. My dad was going to get me a car to replace the A4 as my HS graduation present but I don't think he otherwise would've spent this much. I'm definitely spoiled and if I sold this thing would ideally want to actually pocket some money and put the difference right back into my tuition for next semester)

Shop called, said I was right about the Battery and that they'll swap in a World Source One AGM once I get back to NC. I trust them for being up front about this so I'll probably just have them do a pressure test on it as well while I'm there.

Byteme

Quote from: 850CSi on December 20, 2011, 10:23:03 AM

(I only "earned" this car by coming through on my part of a bet based on standardized test scores [so I didn't really earn it]. My dad was going to get me a car to replace the A4 as my HS graduation present but I don't think he otherwise would've spent this much. I'm definitely spoiled and if I sold this thing would ideally want to actually pocket some money and put the difference right back into my tuition for next semester)

Shop called, said I was right about the Battery and that they'll swap in a World Source One AGM once I get back to NC. I trust them for being up front about this so I'll probably just have them do a pressure test on it as well while I'm there.

I was hoping that's what you meant.  Makes perfect sense now, thanks for clarifying.  

And I know the feeling.  My parents bought me a very nice car when I was in high school and all I wanted was a $100 beater like a 57 Ford Fairlane or something.

GoCougs

Quote from: HotRodPilot on December 20, 2011, 09:36:21 AM
[cougs]Reading comprehension fail [/cougs]

True, it's not a new 3er but $5k + residual is still having someone else buy your car.  :huh:

CJ

Quote from: GoCougs on December 20, 2011, 12:16:27 PM
True, it's not a new 3er but $5k + residual is still having someone else buy your car.  :huh:

This matters because...?

hotrodalex

Quote from: MiataJohn on December 20, 2011, 10:38:35 AM
And I know the feeling.  My parents bought me a very nice car when I was in high school and all I wanted was a $100 beater like a 57 Ford Fairlane or something.

:lol:

shp4man

If you have a guilty conscience, I know of a really good deal on a beat to shit old Hyundai that would make you feel great!  :lol: :ohyeah: 

GoCougs

Quote from: CJ on December 20, 2011, 12:26:05 PM

This matters because...?

[cougs]Reading comprehension win[/cougs]

MrH

What about getting a new 3er, and then paying him back $10k of it or something when you get a job?

Or what about the new Toyotabaru?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Cookie Monster

Quote from: MrH on December 20, 2011, 08:49:21 PM
What about getting a new 3er, and then paying him back $10k of it or something when you get a job?

Just sell him your Miata so you can get the Toyobaru. :huh:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

850CSi

Quote from: MrH on December 20, 2011, 08:49:21 PM

Eh he wouldn't let me do that.

I really don't want to take the depreciation hit on a new car, either.

Thread:
http://www.carspin.net/forums/index.php?topic=26347.msg1636230#new

850CSi

Anyone know how much a pressure test should reasonably run?

Rupert

On most cars, about $3. On yours, $300?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Quote from: 850CSi on December 20, 2011, 10:23:03 AM

(I only "earned" this car by coming through on my part of a bet based on standardized test scores [so I didn't really earn it]. My dad was going to get me a car to replace the A4 as my HS graduation present but I don't think he otherwise would've spent this much.

What do you mean you didn't earn the car?  I'm a firm believer that in this world, standardized tests play a role in a person's future (whether it is right or not), and clearly for your father, your future was way more important than the price of a BMW to him.  If he didn't want to take the bet, then he wouldn't have taken the bet. You winning the bet and thus the BMW was not only your desired outcome, but also his desired outcome as well.  He never wanted to "win" his bet. You winning is totally win win.  I went to a high school with a lot of rich kids that got a lot of free BMW's and I was jealous at the time, thinking they didn't earn their cars.  Now I realize that if I had children I'd much rather them "earn" nice cars from me with academic accomplishments in school rather than "earning" them by trying to work 2 jobs at the Gap and letting academics slip.  You have an accomplished father that cares about your future, you did well on a test that aids your future, and you got a bitching car, that's like the trifecta of awesome.  Don't let the presumed jealously of less intelligent kids with less accomplished fathers spoil that.  Despite what they claim, they would all trade their Mcdonalds money POS for your SAT money BMW in a heartbeat.

TurboDan

Quote from: 565 on December 25, 2011, 07:50:07 AM
What do you mean you didn't earn the car?  I'm a firm believer that in this world, standardized tests play a role in a person's future (whether it is right or not), and clearly for your father, your future was way more important than the price of a BMW to him.  If he didn't want to take the bet, then he wouldn't have taken the bet. You winning the bet and thus the BMW was not only your desired outcome, but also his desired outcome as well.  He never wanted to "win" his bet. You winning is totally win win.  I went to a high school with a lot of rich kids that got a lot of free BMW's and I was jealous at the time, thinking they didn't earn their cars.  Now I realize that if I had children I'd much rather them "earn" nice cars from me with academic accomplishments in school rather than "earning" them by trying to work 2 jobs at the Gap and letting academics slip.  You have an accomplished father that cares about your future, you did well on a test that aids your future, and you got a bitching car, that's like the trifecta of awesome.  Don't let the presumed jealously of less intelligent kids with less accomplished fathers spoil that.  Despite what they claim, they would all trade their Mcdonalds money POS for your SAT money BMW in a heartbeat.

All very true. My parents bought me a very nice car in my senior year of HS (I also went a HS where there were a lot of 'free' BMWs and Benzes for kids) because I did well and got into a good college. I got the car shortly after I was accepted to my #1 choice school.

There were some kids who "earned" their pricey cars by absolutely killing themselves working three jobs. Most of them did relatively poorly in school. They got by, but not well, and because they didn't want to give up the money they got accustomed to making (or because they had a gigantic car payment) they wound up "taking a couple courses" here and there and never completed their college degrees. Most of them, at least from what I can glean off Facebook, would have done far better if they made some different choices. Truth be told, I'm not a very big proponent of kids having jobs during the school year. Their job is to be a student. Summer employment is one thing, but even then I'd rather see some type of an internship or something that would be educational rather than working on the boardwalk or at a jet-ski rental stand.

I always tend to think that I'll "return the favor" someday, if I ever have a child, by making sure that they'll have a cool car to drive to school in as well.  ;)

Now that we're sufficiently diverted from the topic of the cooling system on the E90 3-Series, carry on...

850CSi

***UPDATE***

There is nothing wrong with the car's cooling/HVAC system, according to the shop. I took it back there to get the new battery swapped in and had them check out the cooling system. The pump isn't shooting off error codes and there are no visible leaks. Engine sounds normal to them as well. I'm happy because it would've been really easy for him to BS me about the pump - he knew I was in a bit of a bind.

He told me he could pressure test it, but the problem was he doesn't stock hoses and that a pressure test might make an existing [tiny] leak worse, with the chance that it wouldn't be fixed until Tuesday (I NEEDED my car today). I figure it's either burning off coolant or that there's a leak - either way it's happening at a very slow pace because it overheated literally 3 months apart and when I filled it up last it probably took less than a quart of coolant (it took a good half gallon of water when it overheated the first time). I've been checking the level every morning and it's at the max.

I've driven around 500 miles since it last overheated (450ish over the last 24 hours, and it's been driven hard in some twisties during that time period) and it's running like a champ. I've got distilled water and coolant along with my spare tire in the trunk, so if anything goes wrong I'll just let her cool down and fill her back up - even if any existing leak gets a bit bigger I shouldn't be too far/more than 1-2hrs drive from a BMW shop at any point during this trip.

The water pump is going to fail eventually, and I want to figure out what I'm going to do in advance. The water pump +  tstat goes for around $600; labor is typically another $4-500. I wanna DIY this (apparently it's not too complicated and I've got to start working on this car myself if I don't want it to cost me an arm and a leg long-term), and apparently the dealers mark up the price a lot so I figure I might be able to DIY this for $500ish.

hotrodalex

Are there any aftermarket water pumps available that might be more reliable?

850CSi

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 31, 2011, 12:11:15 AM
Are there any aftermarket water pumps available that might be more reliable?

No. That's the question everyone asks me when I mention it, and there aren't any. The [bullshit] reason it's so expensive is that it's an electronic pump - it's not belt-driven.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587943

Water pumps have apparently always been a maintenance item on BMWs.

Actually, now I'm thinking of buying an extended warranty if I can find a decent one. But like I said I think I'd rather start working on the car myself, especially since I don't think I'm going to be living in an apartment anymore starting this summer.

ETA: looks like I have approx 10 months / 15k miles left during which I can still buy a BMW extended warranty. Might be worth calling some dealers and seeing who will give me a decent deal. there's a 3yr/36k mile one that I would jump on for like $2-3k - that's basically peace of mind + water pump + clutch, no? Though I doubt the clutch will fail before 150k unless I really suck at driving and I don't know it.

Cookie Monster

I would just do everything yourself. It's good to learn.

I'm trying to convince my friend to let me replace the crank bearings on his car... :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

850CSi

Yeah, I'd like to do things myself. The problem is, I really won't have time to - especially after I graduate. Though there's an argument to be made then for buying another car with the $2-3k and hope they don't break down at the same time. :lol:

TurboDan

Quote from: 850CSi on December 31, 2011, 12:21:58 AM
ETA: looks like I have approx 10 months / 15k miles left during which I can still buy a BMW extended warranty. Might be worth calling some dealers and seeing who will give me a decent deal. there's a 3yr/36k mile one that I would jump on for like $2-3k - that's basically peace of mind + water pump + clutch, no? Though I doubt the clutch will fail before 150k unless I really suck at driving and I don't know it.

I don't think an extended warranty should be THAT high. I was quoted $1,900 for a 3/36 bumper to bumper on my LR2, which I may end up buying. The thing is, you can buy it up to 50K miles and mine came with 39K on the clock. So I'm probably going to end up waiting 'til I'm at the max so I can stretch the warranty out, conceivably, til 86K.

TurboDan

Quote from: thecarnut on December 31, 2011, 02:42:32 AM
I would just do everything yourself. It's good to learn.

I'm trying to convince my friend to let me replace the crank bearings on his car... :lol:

It's good to learn, but by the time you buy equipment, diagnostic software, etc., you're in the hole for a handsome amount. Even if you know what you're doing, if you have to bring the car back to the stealership after performing maintenance or repairs, it's a big hassle. If you want to avoid that and buy the software yourself, it's probably over a grand right there.

MX793

Quote from: 850CSi on December 31, 2011, 12:21:58 AM
No. That's the question everyone asks me when I mention it, and there aren't any. The [bullshit] reason it's so expensive is that it's an electronic pump - it's not belt-driven.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587943

Water pumps have apparently always been a maintenance item on BMWs.

Actually, now I'm thinking of buying an extended warranty if I can find a decent one. But like I said I think I'd rather start working on the car myself, especially since I don't think I'm going to be living in an apartment anymore starting this summer.

Bear in mind that if the water pump is considered a "maintenance item", it is likely not covered by any extended warranty plan.  You'd be surprised how little some of these plans cover.  Even "factory" plans from the manufacturer.  My brother had a Neon which he sold to our cousin.  It was still under its 7 year factory powertrain warranty when the transmission cooler failed (pumping tranny fluid into the adjacent radiator and thus into the engine).  Guess what Dodge didn't include in its powertrain warranty?  The transmission cooler.

Likewise, looking at the warranty on my Mustang, for 3/36 everything but wear items (clutch, brakes, wipers, belts...) are covered.  It also has a 5/60K powertrain warranty, but this doesn't actually cover everything and anything in the powertrain.  It only covers certain engine and transmission parts.  Basically, the parts that would only fail due to major manufacturing defects like the engine block, crankshaft or camshafts.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5