So is it worth it?

Started by GoCougs, December 20, 2011, 12:55:46 PM

GoCougs

As some have gathered I'm sorta in the market for a new ride. The Accoridan is racking up miles (~146k) and I'm a bit bored with it.

I'm pretty much looking all up and down the spectrum of performance vehicles, but after a relatively low threshold, maintenance items become substantial; tires, DSG service, etc., depending on the car of course; from a $25k GTI or WRX to a $30k Mustang GT or Camaro SS. Suffice it to say I've never owned a car that needed this sort of attention (beyond a timing belt change every 100k, but that's not cheap).

For example, an S4 is shod with P255 35R19 summer performance tires. Such tires don't last long (20k miles) and depending on replacements, it's $1,000+ (all-seasons, though hard to find, I imagine would last longer, but not much). Dedicated studless snows are even more - up to $1,300 for a set.

As to what I'm looking at, is the maintenance costs worth the surcharge over a plebeian vehicle? Rhetorical I guess, but uncorking a car like an S4, TL, 335i, etc., on public roads is by definition a rare event.

r0tor

Id have more heartburn with $150 oil changes at the bmw/audi dealer then $1k for tires
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MexicoCityM3

I think there is no "right" answer to your question. Like most pleasures in life, the relevant question is if the cost is worth it to YOU.

Anyone who spends the money in a sports/premium car is by definition answering yes, as in my case.

I am not sure that I would spend the money on a car like that if I lived in the US and did not plan to track it. The "uncorking" in public roads is much easier down here. And if you track then you have to start multiplying those regular maintenance costs by 2x or more easily.

Conclusion: personal choice. A car like that is a luxury, never a truly justifiable, rational decision.

Get it.

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Galaxy

In terms of winter tires it is not necessary to go with the 19s. There are other sizes certified as well, though US may be different.

http://www.motor-talk.de/bilder/a4-8k-b8-zulaessige-felgen-reifen-und-reifendruck-g16459316/audi-s4-8k-reifenfuelldruck-jpg-i203282944.html

SVT666

It depends how much you value driving enjoyment over the occasional maintenance cost.  For me, there's no question.  It's totally worth it.

Byteme

Quote from: GoCougs on December 20, 2011, 12:55:46 PM
As some have gathered I'm sorta in the market for a new ride. The Accoridan is racking up miles (~146k) and I'm a bit bored with it.

I'm pretty much looking all up and down the spectrum of performance vehicles, but after a relatively low threshold, maintenance items become substantial; tires, DSG service, etc., depending on the car of course; from a $25k GTI or WRX to a $30k Mustang GT or Camaro SS. Suffice it to say I've never owned a car that needed this sort of attention (beyond a timing belt change every 100k, but that's not cheap).

For example, an S4 is shod with P255 35R19 summer performance tires. Such tires don't last long (20k miles) and depending on replacements, it's $1,000+ (all-seasons, though hard to find, I imagine would last longer, but not much). Dedicated studless snows are even more - up to $1,300 for a set.

As to what I'm looking at, is the maintenance costs worth the surcharge over a plebeian vehicle? Rhetorical I guess, but uncorking a car like an S4, TL, 335i, etc., on public roads is by definition a rare event.

Honestly and sincerely?

It depends on the person and the car.  I've owned cars that were high maintenance money pits and loved every minute of it and wouldn't have traded that experience for anything.  I've owned cars that required nothing other than routine maintenance and tires for 100,000 miles and loved those too.    It simply depends on what your priorities are.  The main thing is know what you are getting into beforehand. I'd imagine nothing is more depressing than buying a car and then finding out an oil change is $150, and new tires are $1,200 a set and the timing belt needs replacement every 20,000 miles, or it needs a $4,000 Ferrari like service visit every 10,000 miles.   As a friend of mine said of the E-type; "you pour money in the gas tank and smiles come out the tailpipe". 

Rich

Yeah, Cougs... 19s are an odd size (IME w/ the Mustang)... go down to 18s and save a bundle or go up to 20s and save a little too.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Onslaught

I can't give you that answer. Is it worth it for me? Yes, hands down. I'd rather walk and carry a performance car alloy then drive a dull car.
Now to some people what just sounds crazy however. I say give it a try and see if you like it and find the extra cost worth it. If not then
trade it in on something else in a year or two. Probably not the best way to spend your money but you can't take it with you.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: HotRodPilot on December 20, 2011, 01:47:32 PM
Yeah, Cougs... 19s are an odd size (IME w/ the Mustang)... go down to 18s and save a bundle or go up to 20s and save a little too.
20s and 18s are always cheaper than 19s!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Lebowski

Yes, but I don't put that kind of miles on my car.

You could also compromise a bit and get something like a 328i w/ 17s, would still get most of the enjoyment on public roads.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Lebowski on December 20, 2011, 06:53:43 PM
You could also compromise a bit and get something like a 328i w/ 17s, would still get most of the enjoyment on public roads.
Yea a 328i with the Sport Package would make more sense, plus prob still deliver the thrills dude needs.

If you have to wonder at all if it's worth it, it's probably not

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 20, 2011, 07:55:19 PM
If you have to wonder at all if it's worth it, it's probably not

Disagree. Good decisions are made when all the options are properly taken into consideration.

And yeah man, totally worth it!

GoCougs

The Acura TL SH-AWD, a legit front runner, also has 19s  :facepalm:  ...

328i Xdrive w/sport pkg is above $40k; the F30 328i will be turbo-4 as well, and that is a LOT of coin to pay for 4 cyl.

Yeah, it's not wondering that is the harbinger of "probably not" - buyers' remorse after the fact would be though.

2o6

I dunno, modern wheels and tires are pretty large now. The Kia Soul Sport comes with 18's as standard, and I believe that the new Kia Rio has 17" or 18" standard on upper level trims.

68_427

Maybe wait for the ATS as well?
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Payman

Take $12,995, buy a Factory Five Cobra. Spend $5000 on a used Mustang GT, another $5000 on new parts. End result on a classic sports car you created... priceless.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: HotRodPilot on December 20, 2011, 01:47:32 PM

20s belong on earth moving equipment.

Onslaught

Quote from: Rockraven on December 21, 2011, 01:32:08 AM
Take $12,995, buy a Factory Five Cobra. Spend $5000 on a used Mustang GT, another $5000 on new parts. End result on a classic sports car you created... priceless.

If he's not sure if these kinds of cars are worth it or not for himself then I'm 100% sure that this kind of thing is not for him.

r0tor

swap them with an S4 owner that wants 19's but only has 18's... i'm sure it would be pretty easy to arrange
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Lebowski

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on December 20, 2011, 08:22:10 PM
Disagree. Good decisions are made when all the options are properly taken into consideration.

And yeah man, totally worth it!

Yeah, I always think big decisions through and get a few opinions.  Sporty has it backwards IMO, its the people who don't take the time to think about the costs who shouldn't be moving forward w/ a decision.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Lebowski on December 21, 2011, 09:07:52 AM
Yeah, I always think big decisions through and get a few opinions.  Sporty has it backwards IMO, its the people who don't take the time to think about the costs who shouldn't be moving forward w/ a decision.

Not necessarily, the "emotional" brain is much smarter than you think when considering complex decisions with lots of factors - like buying a car. It is, after all, the largest part of the brain.

I recently finished a great book about this: "How we decide"  by Jonah Lehrer. Excellent book. It actually cites getting a car as a specific example of the emotional brain being capable of making better decisions than the rational brain. So, go with what "feels" right to you.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Lebowski on December 21, 2011, 09:07:52 AM
Yeah, I always think big decisions through and get a few opinions.  Sporty has it backwards IMO, its the people who don't take the time to think about the costs who shouldn't be moving forward w/ a decision.
There's a diff between figuring out if you can afford something and figuring out if something is worth parting with your money for

If you're agonizing over the former you have champagne tastes on a PBR budget

If you're agonizing over the latter you're prob not 100% committed to the idea to begin with

Buying a new car is taking a bath every single time. Hell buying used can be if you already have a perfectly good running car. Cougs doesn't seem like the kind of guy to do anything on a whim... and no matter how much you rationalize it, there is an element of impulsiveness that has to be present in buying a new car. ESPECIALLY a new car beyond what's necessary (i.e. not a Honda Accord)

If I was him... I would get an old S2000 and keep the Accord. Or trade for a new 4 banger Accord  and an S200

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 21, 2011, 09:57:48 AM
There's a diff between figuring out if you can afford something and figuring out if something is worth parting with your money for

If you're agonizing over the former you have champagne tastes on a PBR budget

If you're agonizing over the latter you're prob not 100% committed to the idea to begin with

Buying a new car is taking a bath every single time. Hell buying used can be if you already have a perfectly good running car. Cougs doesn't seem like the kind of guy to do anything on a whim... and no matter how much you rationalize it, there is an element of impulsiveness that has to be present in buying a new car. ESPECIALLY a new car beyond what's necessary (i.e. not a Honda Accord)

If I was him... I would get an old S2000 and keep the Accord. Or trade for a new 4 banger Accord  and an S200
I don't think Cougs is an S2000 kind of guy.  I think he should buy a Camry SE and be done with it.

Lebowski

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on December 21, 2011, 09:24:13 AM
Not necessarily, the "emotional" brain is much smarter than you think when considering complex decisions with lots of factors - like buying a car. It is, after all, the largest part of the brain.

Right, that's why so many people can't figure out how to live within their means.

Emotional side of the brain might be big and might be good at figuring out likes and dislikes but that doesn't mean it draws up a budget.

Byteme

Quote from: Rockraven on December 21, 2011, 01:32:08 AM

For a variety of reasons I can't see him doing that.

FoMoJo

Quote from: MiataJohn on December 21, 2011, 10:27:37 AM
For a variety of reasons I can't see him doing that.
He'd want to put a Mopar engine in it :nutty:...and that would be sacrilege :(.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SVT666

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 21, 2011, 10:31:13 AM
No he wouldn't.  He doesn't like pooprods, so he would put a Honda 4 cylinder in it.

Byteme

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 21, 2011, 10:31:13 AM

No, he strikes me as someone who has little interest in building and driving something like that and I don't think he has or wants to learn the skills necessary to build one.  That's not necessarly bad, building a kit car like that isn't for everyone.   

FoMoJo

Quote from: MiataJohn on December 21, 2011, 10:53:11 AM
No, he strikes me as someone who has little interest in building and driving something like that and I don't think he has or wants to learn the skills necessary to build one.  That's not necessarly bad, building a kit car like that isn't for everyone.   
That too :huh: ;).
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MX793

Quote from: SVT666 on December 21, 2011, 10:33:35 AM
No he wouldn't.  He doesn't like pooprods, so he would put a Honda 4 cylinder in it.

A Super 7 replica with a Honda K20 would be pretty sweet...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5