Cadillac ATS.

Started by sportyaccordy, January 08, 2012, 12:43:56 PM

sportyaccordy

2.0T 4 banger base motor

Interior looks like a Buick Verano

QuoteWhat is it?
2013 Cadillac ATS

What's special about it?
The 2013 Cadillac ATS is the company's latest attempt to build a better BMW 3 Series. Just about every luxury manufacturer has tried to do the same before and none of them have cracked the code with any great success.

This time Cadillac isn't trying the bigger car/smaller price formula it used with the original CTS. Instead, the ATS is nearly identical in size to the latest 3 Series. In fact, the ATS is not even a half inch longer at 182.8 inches and fractionally shorter and wider at 55.9 and 71.1 inches, respectively.

More importantly, Cadillac says the ATS is lighter than a comparable 3 Series, too. It hasn't provided any final numbers yet, but Cadillac says the ATS will weigh less than 3,400 pounds. We assume that's for the lightest configuration possible. In the 3 Series lineup that means a 328i with a manual transmission and it tips the scales at 3,406 pounds. Let's hope Cadillac does better than 3,399 pounds.

No matter how far under the 3,400-pound threshold Cadillac gets, the ATS will be well-equipped to outrun the 3 Series, provided you choose the right engine. Three different engines will be available, the least powerful of which is a 2.5-liter four-cylinder rated at 200 horsepower and 188 pound-feet of torque. We suspect this is the bottom-feeder special, or the car Cadillac will use to drop the price under $30,000 and suck in a few extra step-up buyers who might otherwise opt for a loaded non-luxury sedan.

The real fun starts with the optional turbocharged, direct-injected 2.0-liter four-cylinder. It develops 270 hp and 260 lb-ft of torque, a significant bump over the 240-hp 2.0-liter engine found in the base 3 Series. Then there's the V6 option, which delivers 318 hp and 267 lb-ft of torque. Both a six-speed manual and a six-speed automatic transmission will be offered, although Cadillac hasn't specified in which configurations.

An all-new rear-wheel-drive platform underpins the ATS. Cadillac says the new chassis delivers a nearly 50/50 front-to-rear weight balance. The front suspension is a multilink, double-pivot MacPherson strut design, while the rear suspension is a five-link, fully independent setup. An optional "FE3" suspension will be available that adds driver-adjustable Magnetic Ride Control similar to the larger XTS sedan. A set of 17-inch wheels will come standard, while 18-inch wheels and Brembo brakes will be optional.

As far as interior features go, the ATS will offer all the safety and convenience features you would expect in an entry-level sport sedan. Its one ace in the hole is the company's new CUE (Cadillac User Experience) system. It pairs a touch-sensitive screen with the ability to connect with up to 10 Bluetooth devices to deliver music, phone and navigation integration, with a minimalist design that keeps the button count to a minimum. Like so many other aspects of the ATS, we'll have to try it out before we'll know for sure if it's an improvement over the competition or not.

Inside Line says: Cadillac finally goes after the BMW 3 Series head-on in terms of size, power and features. It looks good on paper. We'll see how it feels on the road later this year.

Meaningful specs:

Length: 182.8
Weight: <3400lbs
Magnetorheological shocks standard
270HP/260lbft (specs make no sense. they claim 270HP @ 5300 RPM. Mathematically impossible with only 260lbft. GM :facepalm: )
Mechanical LSD
255 width 18s

We'll see what happens.

Tave

That is very sharp. I thought the early renderings and test mules were far too upright and narrow. They looked like someone decided to shrinkwrap the CTS.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

2o6

ifcar

Next step: Move the CTS up a clearer notch from entry-level. It's due for a redesign anyway; it's a shame Cadillac didn't time it with the ATS to reduce the overlap time.

Xer0

This sounds like a winner.  The interior does seem a little blah, maybe it?s the color combination, but otherwise I like it.  I also really like that there are 3 engines available and I suspect the 2.0 will be the enthusiast choice.  Although, if it really is under 3,400 lbs then even the 2.5 should prove to be decent.

68_427

Give me one with the 3.6L PLEASEEEEEE.

Also this should be Coug's and Dave's next car, or anyone looking for an entry level luxury car.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MrH

Love it. Any guesses on price?

The 2.0 with a stick could be a screaming deal with my discount. This is the first car in awhile GM has made that I'm interested in.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

68_427

Quote from: MrH on January 08, 2012, 01:42:12 PM
Love it. Any guesses on price?

The 2.0 with a stick could be a screaming deal with my discount. This is the first car in awhile GM has made that I'm interested in.

I'm guessing the base 2.5L will be ~$31-32K?  Sounds reasonable?
'racecar is die'
no

TurboDan

I like it, but I'd have to drive one to see how it handles. If it handles like a wet noodle, as most American cars do, there's no reason to buy this over a 3-Series. Also, no view from the rear. I hope it doesn't look like an old man car from the back, as Caddies often do.

Interior looks great, though. Better than the "spartan" 3er or the oddly laid out C-Class, IMHO.

68_427

Quote from: TurboDan on January 08, 2012, 02:02:56 PM
I like it, but I'd have to drive one to see how it handles. If it handles like a wet noodle, as most American cars do, there's no reason to buy this over a 3-Series. Also, no view from the rear. I hope it doesn't look like an old man car from the back, as Caddies often do.

Interior looks great, though. Better than the "spartan" 3er or the oddly laid out C-Class, IMHO.

Your wish is my command.

This car will give the 3 series all it can handle in every way, as it was designed to.
'racecar is die'
no

sportyaccordy

If they keep the weight down, make good on horsepower claims and do decent gas mileage numbers I think it will be a hit. The CTS should def move up to 5 series world.

The problem with that though is it's hard to compete with the 3 series price wise. So unless they ramp up the CTS' content they could be uncomfortably close in price. For people like us the ATS makes sense but for a normal American "bigger = better"

It will be interesting to see what they do.

68_427

It's been know for a long ass time that the CTS is getting larger.

Also the low curb weight of this car bodes well for the next gen Camaro, which will be on this platform.
'racecar is die'
no

MrH

Quote from: 68_427 on January 08, 2012, 01:50:09 PM
I'm guessing the base 2.5L will be ~$31-32K?  Sounds reasonable?

I'm thinking they'll price it at 29,990 or something like that. Just wondering where a sport level 2.0 would come in at. Think 35-36k would be reasonable?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

68_427

Quote from: MrH on January 08, 2012, 02:38:36 PM
I'm thinking they'll price it at 29,990 or something like that. Just wondering where a sport level 2.0 would come in at. Think 35-36k would be reasonable?

I think so, yes.  I'm getting all hot an bothered by the 3.6L though.  320hp on regular gas.  Even if it weighs 3500lbs it's 0-60 (Yeah yeah I know, it's not important to everyone, but the roads here are strait and flat) could dip into the high 4 second range.
'racecar is die'
no

sportyaccordy

It will weigh more than 3500lbs, I'm pretty sure of that.

68_427

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 08, 2012, 02:46:21 PM
It will weigh more than 3500lbs, I'm pretty sure of that.

Why would the 3.6 be more than 100lbs heavier than the 2.0T?
'racecar is die'
no

Rich

It won't get into the high 4s. The 370Z weighs less and has more power and barely cracks below a 5
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 68_427 on January 08, 2012, 02:50:11 PM
Why would the 3.6 be more than 100lbs heavier than the 2.0T?
Higher trim, more shit, plus more chassis bracing.

SVT666

The ATS-V should be powered by the LS3.

Xer0

Quote from: SVT666 on January 08, 2012, 03:02:33 PM
The ATS-V should be powered by the LS3.

I thought it was going to be a Turbo V6?

But I think the LS3 would be a better fit for it.

68_427

I hope it's a Gen V V8. 
'racecar is die'
no

850CSi

Ugh just can't stomach that styling, especially from the rear.

hotrodalex

I don't like how the exhaust pipes are almost in the middle of the car, but other than that I think it's a beautiful design. The exhaust is seriously my only complaint about the whole car (without driving it, of course)

Cookie Monster

Damn, the upgraded engine'd car has 255's??!
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Atomic

price is a huge factor. take any small luxury sports sedan (i.e., BMW 3-series, cadillac STS), add a few packages and an option and see the cost skyrocket :cry: if they keep the price with navi, sunroof, leather, AWD and other essentials (well, for me) and i would consider one.

TurboDan

Quote from: Atomic on January 08, 2012, 04:50:34 PM
price is a huge factor. take any small luxury sports sedan (i.e., BMW 3-series, cadillac STS), add a few packages and an option and see the cost skyrocket :cry: if they keep the price with navi, sunroof, leather, AWD and other essentials (well, for me) and i would consider one.

True. A lot of carmakers really jump the shark with the price of options packages. Why can one get a Garmin touch screen GPS unit for $100 at K-Mart, but an OEM unit costs $3,500? Reminds me of the "CD Player" option in cars for so long. Hundreds of dollars for a CD player that probably was worth about $20.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 08, 2012, 02:06:45 PM
If they keep the weight down, make good on horsepower claims and do decent gas mileage numbers I think it will be a hit. The CTS should def move up to 5 series world.

The problem with that though is it's hard to compete with the 3 series price wise. So unless they ramp up the CTS' content they could be uncomfortably close in price. For people like us the ATS makes sense but for a normal American "bigger = better"

It will be interesting to see what they do.
That makes sense! But With the recent demand for smaller cars this lil stinker should do pretty well.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

TurboDan

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on January 08, 2012, 05:21:22 PM
That makes sense! But With the recent demand for smaller cars this lil stinker should do pretty well.

I agree. It should do well, and it'll probably be a great car. My issue, as with all Caddies (save the Escalade), is the rear end. Makes it look like a stuffy senior citizen car from that angle, which I hate, because the rest looks great. I like Art & Science as a whole, but these cars need to be made to look a little youthful.

68_427

Back seats looks comfy.

'racecar is die'
no

68_427

"Well below 3400lbs"

"60-0 in under 110ft"

"3.6L makes more than 320hp"

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f63/naias-cadillac-ats-unveil-livestream-108062/

'racecar is die'
no