My current top ten possible Jetta replacements

Started by Raza , January 12, 2012, 11:57:25 AM

Raza

Just about 7 months until it's time to take the Jetta off lease and do with it what I please.  While the car still feels and drives like new, I'd be doing myself a disservice if I didn't think about replacing it.  Below are my top 5 used and top 5 new choices to replace it, in order of likeliness.

Top Five Used Choices:

1.  BMW M5 (E39) BMW Z4 M Coupe
2.  BMW Z4 M Coupe Chevrolet Corvette (C6)
3.  BMW M3 (E46) BMW M5 (E39)
4.  Porsche 911 (996) BMW M3 (E46)
5.  Mitsubishi Evo X

Top Five New Choices:

1.  Subaru BRZ
2.  Subaru Impreza WRX
3.  Volkswagen Golf R
4.  Audi A5 2.0T Ford Mustang V6 (305bhp version)
5.  Fiat 500 Abarth

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  What should I go with?  Am I overlooking something?  

EDIT:  The list has been a little updated.  The 996 is still in consideration, but no longer in the top 5.  Corvettes register as simpler than many cars, which appeals to me, and the coupe models have a removable roof panel, and when the panel is on, it's got a relatively large amount of cargo space.  And the gas mileage, while I said is not a main concern, the highway mileage can't be ignored.  A5 2.0T is bumped out of the top 5 as well, in favor of the Mustang V6.  I think you guys are right, it's not a very good value. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

I'd guess you'll be more happy sticking with something German. If you can spring for an A5 with the V6 and whatever sport suspension package they offer, that'd be my choice for you.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Vinsanity

My brother's got probably over 90k on his E46 M3 without too many major hitches, but he's had some pretty pricey maintenance items done at an indy BMW shop. I don't know if I would buy a used high-end German car if you're going to be racking up the miles on it, but I also wouldn't want to eat the depreciation cost of a brand new car if you're going to be racking up the miles on it. (edit: though I'd guess that the FRSBRZ86 wouldn't depreciate too much during at least the first few years)

Used G37 Coupe?

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26477.msg1648242#msg1648242 date=1326394645
Just about 7 months until it's time to take the Jetta off lease and do with it what I please.  While the car still feels and drives like new, I'd be doing myself a disservice if I didn't think about replacing it.  Below are my top 5 used and top 5 new choices to replace it, in order of likeliness.

Top Five Used Choices:

1.  BMW M5 (E39)
2.  BMW Z4 M Coupe
3.  BMW M3 (E46)
4.  Porsche 911 (996)
5.  Mitsubishi Evo X

Top Five New Choices:

1.  Subaru BRZ
2.  Subaru Impreza WRX
3.  Volkswagen Golf R
4.  Audi A5 2.0T
5.  Fiat 500 Abarth

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  What should I go with?  Am I overlooking something? 
I think you would be doing yourself a disservice if you don't test drive the following:

- 2011-2013 Mustang GT
- Used Porsche Boxster
- CPO Audi TT Roadster

MexicoCityM3

I couldn?t agree more with your used choices.

For the new choices, I?d probably add a manual 125i or a new 3er (maybe 4er) coupe which will be arriving a couple of months after your lease is finalized and with a 2.0T engine similar to that A5 you like.

I?d also consider a Mustang for the new car choices.

Seems to me you are really into AWD. 1 out of the used and 4 out of your new choices are AWD. Why?
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

SVT666

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 12, 2012, 12:06:39 PM

For the new choices, I?d probably add a manual 125i or a new 3er (maybe 4er) coupe which will be arriving a couple of months after your lease is finalized and with a 2.0T engine similar to that A5 you like.

Seems to me you are really into AWD. 1 out of the used and 4 out of your new choices are AWD. Why?
3 of the new are AWD.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

hounddog

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 12, 2012, 12:03:38 PM
I'd guess you'll be more happy sticking with something German. If you can spring for an A5 with the V6 and whatever sport suspension package they offer, that'd be my choice for you.
He lives in the East coast, northeast area?  (I can't keep track of you all)

I would agree if that is where he is living, otherwise go with a certified M3 coupe.

Our dealership currently has a triple black convertible M3 with red seats.   :wub:

If the M3 was only the size of the M6...

(edit; I guess it would not be "exactly" triple black if it has red seats.  OOPS :lol:    does it count if the rest of the interior is black?)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: SVT666 on January 12, 2012, 12:08:03 PM
3 of the new are AWD.

You are right. The previously all-AWD Subaru tradition threw me off.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Raza

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 12, 2012, 12:03:38 PM

The A5 doesn't currently come with the V6.  2.0T and then the S models. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on January 12, 2012, 12:03:53 PM
I think you would be doing yourself a disservice if you don't test drive the following:

- 2011-2013 Mustang GT
- Used Porsche Boxster
- CPO Audi TT Roadster

Ah, the Mustang!  That's what I was forgetting.  But I don't know where to put it.  5.0L used or V6 new?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 12, 2012, 12:06:39 PM

It's funny, but I'm not really what I'd consider to be an AWD guy.  Four of the top 10 are AWD, but that's certainly not by design.  I think I'm looking for a little more power, and other than the BRZ and MX-5, affordable RWD doesn't really exist.  I think my Jetta is currently close to maxing out what I feel FWD is capable of handling, so if I want any more power, I have to go AWD in the new arena. 

The new 1 series and 3 series are a little too ugly for me to put my money down on one, honestly. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: hounddog on January 12, 2012, 12:11:58 PM
He lives in the East coast, northeast area?  (I can't keep track of you all)

I would agree if that is where he is living, otherwise go with a certified M3 coupe.

Our dealership currently has a triple black convertible M3 with red seats.   :wub:

If the M3 was only the size of the M6...

(edit; I guess it would not be "exactly" triple black if it has red seats.  OOPS :lol:    does it count if the rest of the interior is black?)

Yup, I'm in the northeast.  Philadelphia, to be exact. 

And if the M3 were the size of the M6, I wouldn't want it!  I considered a 6 speed 645i, but they're hard to find and I think I'd have more fun in a lot of my other choices, barring the novelty of throwing around a big car like that. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  on January 12, 2012, 12:31:34 PM
Ah, the Mustang!  That's what I was forgetting.  But I don't know where to put it.  5.0L used or V6 new?

V6 new. Plenty of power already, and no prior abuse.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26477.msg1648273#msg1648273 date=1326396627
The A5 doesn't currently come with the V6.  2.0T and then the S models.  
I thought there was a 3.2 or something. Dammmmit, Audi! :lockedup:

500 Abarth Essesse, it is. We are getting the SS, right?

S204STi

Raza, you have too many awesome cars on your list.  If the options were like Renault Fuego, Dodge Neon, and Evo X the choice would be easy.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: S204STi on January 12, 2012, 12:49:14 PM
Raza, you have too many awesome cars on your list.  If the options were like Renault Fuego, Dodge Neon, and Evo X the choice would be easy.

Fuego!

Raza

Quote from: S204STi on January 12, 2012, 12:49:14 PM

:lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26477.msg1648276#msg1648276 date=1326396694
Put them both on the list.  The new V6 is just as fast as the old GT so it's really a great compromise for someone who isn't hooked on the V8 rumble that some others may be.  The 5.0L though, is world class and competes pretty evenly with the M3.

Mustang GT vs. M3 Competition

68_427

I wouldn't buy the GT, because then I'd feel like shit every time I saw a Boss.  The V6 isn't really close to the Boss though so I wouldn't care as much.
'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

Quote from: 68_427 on January 12, 2012, 01:02:33 PM
I wouldn't buy the GT, because then I'd feel like shit every time I saw a Boss.  The V6 isn't really close to the Boss though so I wouldn't care as much.
But you will never see a Boss.

I'm the other way, I could never drive the V6 knowing the V8 is there regardless of what other more powerful V8s are available.  Though, part of me wants to buy a 2007 Shelby GT500 and fix the suspension and put in a bigger intercooler.

sportyaccordy

Its a good list, but at the same time, many caveats on the used side.

1.  BMW M5 (E39) - Solid, but 12-15MPG anywhere off the highway.
2.  BMW Z4 M Coupe - Brilliant, but rare (expensive)
3.  BMW M3 (E46) - Hard to argue against.
4.  Porsche 911 (996) - Would be great... if not for engine failures.
5.  Mitsubishi Evo X - I don't think you will ever get used to the interior.

I think a fully loaded BRZ is what you need. Abarth... bleeaaaghhcchchhh. WRX... maybe. Golf R... shows promise. A5 2.0T... imagine your Jetta, but less roomy and slower. I don't know if you would be able to live with the Mustang's interior either.

68_427

Quote from: SVT666 on January 12, 2012, 01:03:51 PM
But you will never see a Boss.

I'm the other way, I could never drive the V6 knowing the V8 is there regardless of what other more powerful V8s are available.

False.  I've seen 3 already.
'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

Quote from: 68_427 on January 12, 2012, 01:05:05 PM
False.  I've seen 3 already.
Are you serious?  That's awesome.  I haven't seen one yet.

68_427

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 12, 2012, 01:03:55 PM
Its a good list, but at the same time, many caveats.

1.  BMW M5 (E39) - Solid, but 12-15MPG anywhere off the highway.
2.  BMW Z4 M Coupe - Brilliant, but rare (expensive)
3.  BMW M3 (E46) - Hard to argue against.
4.  Porsche 911 (996) - Would be great... if not for engine failures.
5.  Mitsubishi Evo X - I don't think you will ever get used to the interior.

I think a fully loaded BRZ is what you need.

There is a company that LS swaps 996s... 
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 12, 2012, 01:03:55 PM
Its a good list, but at the same time, many caveats.

1.  BMW M5 (E39) - Solid, but 12-15MPG anywhere off the highway.
2.  BMW Z4 M Coupe - Brilliant, but rare (expensive)
3.  BMW M3 (E46) - Hard to argue against.
4.  Porsche 911 (996) - Would be great... if not for engine failures.
5.  Mitsubishi Evo X - I don't think you will ever get used to the interior.

I think a fully loaded BRZ is what you need.

Gas mileage doesn't concern me too much, which is why the M5 is at the top of the list.  I thought the M coupe would be hard to find, but there are actually a lot on Autotrader, and priced competitively with the good years of the M5 and the E46 M3.  The E46 M3 is a great choice, and probably the best all-rounder on the list.  I know I've been in cars with good interiors thus far, but it's about the lowest thing on the list for me when it comes to importance.  A few engine failures in 996s isn't worrying either, but repair costs are what drop this amazing car down the list. 

The BRZ is a very attractive car though.  Very.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

S204STi

I'd also argue that the Evo's interior isn't nearly as bad for what is basically a freakin' amazing performance car.  It' just not fake, soft-touch leather like everyone else.  But the seats and steering are amazing, and frankly those are the most important bits.

SVT666

Quote from: S204STi on January 12, 2012, 01:19:08 PM
I'd also argue that the Evo's interior isn't nearly as bad for what is basically a freakin' amazing performance car.  It' just not fake, soft-touch leather like everyone else.  But the seats and steering are amazing, and frankly those are the most important bits.
I used to think that way too.  Now that I'm in my mid 30s I'm starting to crave luxury more and more to go along with the performance and great seats and steering.  That's why I'm starting to lean towards the CTS and G37.

S204STi

I could see that being a concern for different states of life.

Xer0

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26477.msg1648242#msg1648242 date=1326394645
Just about 7 months until it's time to take the Jetta off lease and do with it what I please.  While the car still feels and drives like new, I'd be doing myself a disservice if I didn't think about replacing it.  Below are my top 5 used and top 5 new choices to replace it, in order of likeliness.

Top Five Used Choices:

1.  BMW M5 (E39)
2.  BMW Z4 M Coupe
3.  BMW M3 (E46)
4.  Porsche 911 (996)
5.  Mitsubishi Evo X

Top Five New Choices:

1.  Subaru BRZ
2.  Subaru Impreza WRX
3.  Volkswagen Golf R
4.  Audi A5 2.0T
5.  Fiat 500 Abarth

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  What should I go with?  Am I overlooking something? 

They will probably be uber rare, but have you thought about a slightly used 1M?  BMW didn't bring many over and I don't know how well they're likely to hold their value (probably very well) but it?s supposed to be excellent.

+1 on the Mustang and the Camaro is supposed to be getting some significant upgrades soon IIRC.  I personally wouldn't bother with the WRX or R (WRX is very meh, and the R just seams needlessly more expensive then the GTI) or the E39, E46, and 996 (all three will be really, really old and probably abused one way or another by their 2nd/3rd owner who will probably be some young 'meet me at White Castle to street race' punk)