ZL1 Tests are coming in.

Started by 68_427, January 17, 2012, 12:53:06 PM

SVT666

Quote from: LonghornTX on March 12, 2012, 11:38:59 AM
Listening to the video, it sounds like most of the difference was made up in the braking zones. Randy had no good things to say about the LS's brakes
Braking, and cornering speeds and confidence were higher in the ZL1.  Those shocks are amazing man.  No denying that.  But like I said, I would still take the Mustang since I have to drive it in the real world and the Mustang is much easier to live with in the real world....and that exhaust note gives me a stiffy.

Note to Cougs (1:45 into the video):  "While the current generation Camaro has always been a step behind the Mustang in handling..."

LonghornTX

Quote from: SVT666 on March 12, 2012, 11:45:33 AM
Braking, and cornering speeds and confidence were higher in the ZL1.  Those shocks are amazing man.  No denying that.  But like I said, I would still take the Mustang since I have to drive it in the real world and the Mustang is much easier to live with in the real world....and that exhaust note gives me a stiffy.

Note to Cougs (1:45 into the video):  "While the current generation Camaro has always been a step behind the Mustang in handling..."
It certainly helps with that much rubber on the road (the ZL1 sports 285s in the front). And the shocks definitely help when you like to jump curbs (which Randy seemed to do fairly often).

I am interested to see if they go with wider rubber for the GT500 as a result. Also, I will be curious to see how well the new brake package works out.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

SVT666

By Drew Johnson

Chevrolet is spicing up its Camaro lineup for the 2013 model year with the addition of a new 1LE performance package. The 1LE package adds several goodies from the top-spec Camaro ZL1 while keeping the overall bottom line in check.

Aimed at the road racing crowd, the 1LE package can be added to SS coupe models equipped with a six-speed manual transmission. However, 1LE cars ditch the SS? standard Tremec TR6060-M10 in favor of a performance-tuned Tremec TR6060-MM6 with a numerically higher 3.91 final-drive ratio.

The 1LE also replaces the twin-tube dampers found on standard SS cars with monotube rear dampers, which Chevrolet says provides better body-motion control while maintaining a comfortable on-road ride.

Other 1LE performance upgrades include larger stabilizer bars, a strengthened rear end, strut tower brace and a ZL1-derived high capacity fuel pump. A dual-mode exhaust system will stand as a 1LE option.

Although those improvements don?t change the Camaro SS? 426 horsepower rating, Chevy says the car can pull 1g in the corners.

In order to visually set the 1LE apart from its SS counterparts, the package includes a matte-black hood, front splitter and rear spoiler, as well as 10-spoke alloy wheels borrowed from the ZL1.

Inside the 1LE borrows even more content from the ZL1, including a flat-bottomed steering wheel and shift knob. The 2013 1LE also ushers in a color touch radio with MyLink infotainment, which will be available on Camaro LT, SS and ZL1 models.

?The Camaro 1LE combines the best elements of the SS and ZL1 to take road-racing performance to a whole new level,? said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. ?That the 1LE breaks the three-minute lap at VIR puts it in the upper echelon of performance cars.?

Chevrolet has yet to announce official pricing for the 2013 Camaro 1LE, but the automaker promises a starting price of under $40,000, making it ?one of the most affordable, most capable track-day cars offered by any manufacturer.?

Xer0

It doesn't get the trick shocks, but it still gets some serious goodies.  Its still a porker, unfortunately, but at least GM isn't afraid to go toe to toe with the Mustang.