Chipping....what's the worst that could happen?

Started by Raza , February 26, 2012, 09:10:46 AM

hotrodalex

Quote from: r0tor on March 01, 2012, 07:07:45 PM
OEM setups are complete compromises.

Andddddd we have a winner. Aftermarket tunes are still compromises (obviously any car set up is), but you can shift the priorities more towards your liking and ignore things you don't care as much about.

If the OEM knew all, why would there be such a huge aftermarket business? Some customers aren't very bright and will bite on anything, but there are lots of knowledgeable folks that still upgrade their cars. Plus, it's not like aftermarket companies don't have a roster full of engineers as well.

S204STi

Chips from disreputable companies exist, but in general there are thousands of chipped or reflashed cars on the road that have had no reliability issues whatsoever.  My specific flash has been in use by hundreds of users, with millions of miles of proof without complaint.  Seems safe to me, and likely to be fairly rewarding in terms of driveability and power.

S204STi

One of the big Subaru/Evo/BMW tuners, a guy named Shiv Pathak of Vishnu Tuning was apparently an OEM tuner for a time before going to the aftermarket.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: S204STi on March 02, 2012, 12:22:23 AM
Chips from disreputable companies exist, but in general there are thousands of chipped or reflashed cars on the road that have had no reliability issues whatsoever.  My specific flash has been in use by hundreds of users, with millions of miles of proof without complaint.  Seems safe to me, and likely to be fairly rewarding in terms of driveability and power.

Speaking of your brand, I recall reading that a lot of recent Subarus are set to run very lean under boost for emissions' sake.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

S204STi

Quote from: Secret Chimp on March 02, 2012, 12:55:45 AM
Speaking of your brand, I recall reading that a lot of recent Subarus are set to run very lean under boost for emissions' sake.

Great point.  It is in fact generally better for Subarus to get tuned, particularly STIs, but all of them in general tend to have a safer tune once reflashed.

GoCougs

Quote from: Secret Chimp on March 01, 2012, 12:34:35 AM
Cougs doesn't know anything about actual automotive mechanics. He's just good at pretending.

Falling off at ~4000 rpm is she?