Chipping....what's the worst that could happen?

Started by Raza , February 26, 2012, 09:10:46 AM

Raza

It's no secret that working on cars and modifying cars isn't my area of expertise.  But, there's a place 30 minutes from my office that will do an ECU reflash (APR program) and get me to 254bhp and 297lb-ft.  Which, really, is too much power for FWD, but it's the Stage 1 and there's nothing that gives you less power (230 would be ideal for this car, I think). 

Here's the link:
http://www.ngpracing.com/store/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=4411

So, realistically, what kind of long term life would I be looking at if I got this?  If I decide to keep the car beyond a year or so, obviously, I'll take a hit in resale, as all modified cars do, but reliability is my main concern.  Am I going to chip it and then a week later the engine will blow up?  I have about 75K on the car right now. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Reflashes can be undone and the car can be returned to its original state pretty easily.  That said, I wouldn't do it if the car is still on lease.  I'm sure it would violate your lease agreement.  If you were to take the car into the dealer for service and they happened to plug into the ECU (perhaps to download some update as part of a TSB or whatever), they'd find that it had been tampered with.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Cookie Monster

Quote from: MX793 on February 26, 2012, 10:44:58 AM
Reflashes can be undone and the car can be returned to its original state pretty easily.  That said, I wouldn't do it if the car is still on lease.  I'm sure it would violate your lease agreement.  If you were to take the car into the dealer for service and they happened to plug into the ECU (perhaps to download some update as part of a TSB or whatever), they'd find that it had been tampered with.
The link in Raza's post says it's undetectable by the VAGCOM thingy. I don't know if it's worth the risk, though, so I'd probably do it after the lease is up as well.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

GoCougs

As I read that, it's not only a flash but a hardware mod to the ECU. Returning it to stock may mean a new ECU (which would be WAY more than the $599 upgrade) if you truly want to erase the evidence/history of the modification.

I look at these things this way, if this mod is all that (more power, more smoothness, more throttle response) why didn't VW do this from the factory? Call me a cynic, but the techs at a boutique mod shop ain't going to outwit the army of power train engineers of VW.

So, IMO, by definition, something will suffer. Could be only gas mileage and a bit of long term life. I wouldn't do it on a primarily/only car simply because turbo engines are much more sensitive to engine management. Also, of course, if there's a problem good luck having the shop or the chip manufacturer backup their work.

rohan

Quote from: GoCougs on February 26, 2012, 11:45:34 AM
As I read that, it's not only a flash but a hardware mod to the ECU. Returning it to stock may mean a new ECU (which would be WAY more than the $599 upgrade) if you truly want to erase the evidence/history of the modification.

I look at these things this way, if this mod is all that (more power, more smoothness, more throttle response) why didn't VW do this from the factory? Call me a cynic, but the techs at a boutique mod shop ain't going to outwit the army of power train engineers of VW.

So, IMO, by definition, something will suffer. Could be only gas mileage and a bit of long term life. I wouldn't do it on a primarily/only car simply because turbo engines are much more sensitive to engine management. Also, of course, if there's a problem good luck having the shop or the chip manufacturer backup their work.

:facepalm:

http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on February 26, 2012, 10:44:58 AM

Well, the warranty is long gone.  What could they do?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on February 26, 2012, 06:09:19 PM
Well, the warranty is long gone.  What could they do?

If the car is still on lease, you'd have to look at your lease agreement and see what is allowed and what the penalties are.  When you lease a vehicle, you do not legally own it.  The leasing company owns the car.  If you modify the car and that violates the lease agreement and Lessor finds out, they may well be able to terminate the lease immediately.  What does lease termination mean?  I don't know, you'd have to look at your agreement.  It may mean repossession of the vehicle.  It may mean that they force you to buy out the lease immediately.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CALL_911

Quote from: rohan on February 26, 2012, 04:03:57 PM
:facepalm:

Despite the fact that I'd probably chip my car if it weren't for its warranty, he brings up valid points.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

Better question: why would you do this to a car that isn't yours?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

rohan

Sure- if you're a post menopausal woman who collects cats and hairballs and garden knomes.  :huh:

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

CALL_911

Wow, thanks a lot. I'm now stupider than I was before I read that post.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

rohan

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 26, 2012, 06:45:49 PM
Wow, thanks a lot. I'm now stupider than I was before I read that post.
Wow- I had no idea that was possible.

~Chief Seattle

CALL_911

Quote from: rohan on February 26, 2012, 06:47:10 PM
Wow- I had no idea that was possible.

Neither did I. You learn something new everyday.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

rohan

The point of the other post- mr. dumber than before which is a fairly spectacular trick considering...- is that he's on a car forum trying to talk down a guy who wants more power on a car that he only wants to enjoy even more then he already does enjoy.  
That = fail

BlowCougs might as well go find himself a scrapbooking forum if he feels driving an Accord without any mods is enjoyable and wants others to experience daily the same thing.  ;)

~Chief Seattle

GoCougs

Oh, gods am I ever restraining myself on that nice pile of Ironical Internetryism just sitting there all nice and moist...

rohan

Quote from: GoCougs on February 26, 2012, 06:58:59 PM
Oh, gods am I ever restraining myself on that nice pile of Ironical Internetryism just sitting there all nice and moist...
You are the most ridiculous car enthusiast forum member of all time. 

/thread

~Chief Seattle

r0tor

I flash my car with my own programming and then when its dealer time I just flash it back to stock...

No reason to worry, just do it and enjoy
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CALL_911

Quote from: rohan on February 26, 2012, 06:58:30 PM
The point of the other post- mr. dumber than before which is a fairly spectacular trick considering...- is that he's on a car forum trying to talk down a guy who wants more power on a car that he only wants to enjoy even more then he already does enjoy.  
That = fail

BlowCougs might as well go find himself a scrapbooking forum if he feels driving an Accord without any mods is enjoyable and wants others to experience daily the same thing.  ;)

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Cookie Monster

Quote from: rohan on February 26, 2012, 06:58:30 PM
That = fail

BlowCougs might as well go find himself a scrapbooking forum if he feels driving an Accord without any mods is enjoyable and wants others to experience daily the same thing.  ;)

There is more to modifying a car than just fun and enjoyment; otherwise, Raza wouldn't have made this thread.

Cougs brings up some valid points. I don't know anything about the reliability (and he just stated, neither does he), but I would also think that there might be some reliability concerns. He even just said nothing could go wrong other than some increase in fuel consumption. And as MX793 said, the company leasing the car probably has rules against it.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

rohan

~Chief Seattle

J86

sparkplug

Sure a reflash sound good. But do so only if the lease is up and the car is your. This isn't like putting changing the exhaust system out or something bad like that.

Is the chip and intel or amd.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

Raza

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 26, 2012, 06:42:07 PM
Better question: why would you do this to a car that isn't yours?

I'm buying it at the end of the lease.   I'm 35,000 miles over my lease allotment, no way I'm paying them $5,000+ to take it back.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

CALL_911

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26841.msg1675789#msg1675789 date=1330313668
I'm buying it at the end of the lease.   I'm 35,000 miles over my lease allotment, no way I'm paying them $5,000+ to take it back.

Oh, okay.

Yeah, I'd chip it. I want to chip mine very badly. Sucks to be broke. Apparently (as per some fishy codes my car threw up recently) my ECU has been tampered with and is currently in "stock" mode. If this is actually true, I'd love to find out how to get it out of "stock" mode.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Onslaught

If you're going to keep it and want it chipped then do it.
If you're not keeping it then don't.

For the record I kind of agree with some of the things Cougs said.

Eye of the Tiger

Chip it, but do it for regular unleaded. Also, big exhausts.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

rohan

Quote from: 2o6 on February 26, 2012, 09:45:42 PM
I don't think he's wrong at all.
Coming from you that means- well it means nothing at all.  :huh:

Sorry.  :evildude:

~Chief Seattle

Soup DeVille

Raza, don't listen to these fools. Chip the damned car. Yes, if they find out it MAY violate the lease. How are they going to know? Do guys come into your garage at night and scan your ECM?  It won't void the warranty unless the know about it AND can make a case that your modifications caused the failure.

But, you already know this.

So just do it already.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

I'd probably want to hear from people with Jettas who had their chip modded at that particular place. Cougs was (amazingly) correct that some guys in a shop have nothing on VW's engineers, and so there is bound to be a trade-off. My guess, as with almost anything that gets more power out of the engine, is that there will be an impact on long-term durability and gas mileage.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA