Chipping....what's the worst that could happen?

Started by Raza , February 26, 2012, 09:10:46 AM

r0tor

from a complete unthusiast accord appliance driver perspective - cougs is right...

From the perspective of a person with a passion for automobiles and driving enjoyment... not so much
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on February 28, 2012, 03:47:52 PM
from a complete unthusiast accord appliance driver perspective - cougs is right...

From the perspective of a person with a passion for automobiles and driving enjoyment... not so much

Even the complete unthusiast pragmatic bore may find it useful to chip away from the OEM program. Chipz may also be used to increase fuel economy, and lengthen automatic transmission life. OEM is always a compromise.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CJ

My suspension is completely not stock, and I will be turbo'ing the 940 during spring break. It will be completely reliable. Just depends on how you do it, I suppose.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CJ on February 28, 2012, 03:57:06 PM
My suspension is completely not stock, and I will be turbo'ing the 940 during spring break. It will be completely reliable. Just depends on how you do it, I suppose.

I modded my new Accent with a strut bar, short shifter, leather steering wheel, aftermarket rimz, and a hacked up intake. It has been trouble-free for 29k miles, aside from a broken sun visor... maybe it was strut bar's fault... :mask:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CJ

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 28, 2012, 04:00:37 PM
I modded my new Accent with a strut bar, short shifter, leather steering wheel, aftermarket rimz, and a hacked up intake. It has been trouble-free for 29k miles, aside from a broken sun visor... maybe it was strut bar's fault... :mask:

:mask:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on February 27, 2012, 07:32:37 PM
You go in with engine problems and they find you're chipped, of course it will be denied. No difference if it were a cam or head swap.

Nope, not quite.

There's no reason to violate the warranty for the replacement of, oh: a water pump. If you burn out the injectors or throw a piston? Sure.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

hotrodalex

Cougs is against chips because then Raza's Jetta might be able to keep up with the almighty Accord.

CJ

Plus, the warranty is expired. Not sure why that matters anymore.

giant_mtb

Quote from: hotrodalex on February 28, 2012, 04:45:53 PM
Cougs is against chips because then Raza's Jetta might be able to keep up with the almighty Accord.

BUT WHY DIDN'T VW JUST MAKE IT FASTER TO BEGIN WITH IF THEY SO OBVIOUSLY COULD?! :rolleyes: :lol:

sportyaccordy

Quote from: hotrodalex on February 28, 2012, 04:45:53 PM
Now you're getting somewhere

GoCougs

Ha, ha, the 'SPIN has yet another one for the books:

The drunken bifecta scary-that-they-are/were-cops rohan and hounddog...
Sporty and his ignorant strawmanism...
r0tor and his incessant emoism...
Naive peanut gallery that is HRAlex and others...

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on February 28, 2012, 07:39:11 PM

You must be a real hit at parties.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 28, 2012, 07:47:21 PM
You must be a real hit at parties.

Chicks dig it, especially when I wear a tight shirt and my fancy jeans.

sportyaccordy

One can judge a man by his enemies and his peers...

What does it say of you that you've spent 5+ years in the company of such people?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on February 28, 2012, 08:39:32 PM
Chicks dig it, especially when I wear a tight shirt and my fancy jeans.

I'm gettin' randy just thinking about it.

omicron

Quote from: GoCougs on February 27, 2012, 07:07:10 PM
Why would an automaker spend hundreds of millions $$$ (or more) to develop an engine to only neuter it? They don't do that. Ever. Designing and building cars is a cutthroat business like any other.

Holden strangled the LS1 something awful when they first installed it in Commodores - Corvettes had 257kW from '97, but the '99 VT II Commodore LS1 managed only 220kW. Prior to the LS1, the top HSVs fitted with the highest-output Holden V8 made 230kW for ~$80k - it certainly would not do to have those customers suddenly beaten at the lights by a humble $30k Commodore with a 257kW LS1.

Then came a series of nice little jumps for each successive model update - 225kW for the VX, 235kW for the VY, 245kW for the VY II and finally 250kW for the VZ (or in the case of HSV, 250kW for the VT II, 255kW for the VX, 260 for the Y, 285 for the Y II and 297 for the Z). That sort of behaviour sounds very much like marketing-led neutering behaviour to me - a sort of drip-feed of upgrades, if you will.

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 28, 2012, 08:41:33 PM
One can judge a man by his enemies and his peers...

What does it say of you that you've spent 5+ years in the company of such people?

Just because I have disagreement doesn't mean I take it personally - such a thing exists you realize...

hotrodalex

Quote from: omicron on February 29, 2012, 06:59:14 AM
Holden strangled the LS1 something awful when they first installed it in Commodores - Corvettes had 257kW from '97, but the '99 VT II Commodore LS1 managed only 220kW. Prior to the LS1, the top HSVs fitted with the highest-output Holden V8 made 230kW for ~$80k - it certainly would not do to have those customers suddenly beaten at the lights by a humble $30k Commodore with a 257kW LS1.

Then came a series of nice little jumps for each successive model update - 225kW for the VX, 235kW for the VY, 245kW for the VY II and finally 250kW for the VZ (or in the case of HSV, 250kW for the VT II, 255kW for the VX, 260 for the Y, 285 for the Y II and 297 for the Z). That sort of behaviour sounds very much like marketing-led neutering behaviour to me - a sort of drip-feed of upgrades, if you will.

For another example, Ford magically found another 10 HP and 65 lb-ft in their Powerstroke so they could leapfrog the Duramax's power rating.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/03/official-ford-6-7-liter-powerstroke-gets-800-lb-ft-as-of-next-w/

hounddog

Cougs and his remarkably complete lack of knowledge with respect to automobiles....

and probably women...
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Onslaught

Quote from: r0tor on February 27, 2012, 07:20:16 PM
I've tuned my engine myself and tuned a few others and actually know what the fuck I'm talking about, how about you?
To be fair, aren't you on your 2nd motor now? Perhaps you shouldn't "tune" it so much.

For the record I know it probably wasn't anything to do with stuff you did.

Secret Chimp

Cougs doesn't know anything about actual automotive mechanics. He's just good at pretending.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

93JC

Really? Shit. Now my entire perception of him has changed. What if he doesn't know anything about women too?

SVT_Power

Did anyone mention anything about emissions in here?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

Most likely won't be an issue, but I highly doubt companies that make tunes even bother looking at emissions changes.

Also I guess it depends on the emission testing regulations of your state. Probably kill your cat earlier, but that could be a long time either way.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

r0tor

Quote from: Onslaught on February 29, 2012, 10:01:37 PM
To be fair, aren't you on your 2nd motor now? Perhaps you shouldn't "tune" it so much.

For the record I know it probably wasn't anything to do with stuff you did.

If anything, I made it last longer as I increased the oil injection rates and lowered the temps the radiator fans kicked on at...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

That's not necessarily a good thing...

If that would make the engine last longer, and Mazda had such an issue with the Renesis dying that they had to increase the warranty to 100k miles, why wouldn't they have just done that from the factory?  It would have been infinitely cheaper to just recall the damn thing and reflash them to "your" engine settings than replace tons of engines.

The fact you think you know more than the hundreds of engineers that do it at Mazda is the fucking pinnacle of arrogance.  It's mind blowing how you could even suggest such a thing and actually be serious.  I'd like to believe that a supposed engineer isn't that stupid, and that you're just trollin hard, but sadly I don't think that's the case.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

93JC

It's all relative to the goals you want to achieve and the parameters within which you have to work. He probably significantly increased emissions from the tailpipe, something the Mazda engineers didn't have an option of doing.

r0tor

Quote from: MrH on March 01, 2012, 06:27:39 PM
That's not necessarily a good thing...

If that would make the engine last longer, and Mazda had such an issue with the Renesis dying that they had to increase the warranty to 100k miles, why wouldn't they have just done that from the factory?  It would have been infinitely cheaper to just recall the damn thing and reflash them to "your" engine settings than replace tons of engines.

The fact you think you know more than the hundreds of engineers that do it at Mazda is the fucking pinnacle of arrogance.  It's mind blowing how you could even suggest such a thing and actually be serious.  I'd like to believe that a supposed engineer isn't that stupid, and that you're just trollin hard, but sadly I don't think that's the case.

Actually, Mazda reflashed my car at least with 6 different settings over the first few years- most of which were to continually increase the oil injection rates and one of which did change the radiator fan activation.  Their initial screw ups led to my extended warranty that I exercised.

My oil injection rates didn't care about the lowest common denominator having to add oil a bit more frequently - theirs did.  My oil injection didn't care about the catalytic converter since it was removed anyway - theirs did.  Series 2 cars have an extra oil injector i dont have because it took them 4 years to realize their screw up in its entirety.  

My air fuel ratios dont care about health of my non existent cat, theirs did to the point that they gave me $500 because they neutered the power output with their first ill advised flash at port.

OEM setups are complete compromises.  The all knowing OEM isn't any better tuning then a well informed private party.  Would you like to continue to troll further?