First Comparo. All your base belong to the new 328i

Started by MexicoCityM3, March 05, 2012, 08:21:57 PM

MexicoCityM3

Motor Trend: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1205_sport_luxury_sedan_comparison/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Excerpt:

"We spent all of three minutes declaring the BMW best in test and best in class. This is not just a win for the 328i; it's a massacre. A slaughter. Doomsday. Armageddon. I say this with a straight face: There is no competition. Not only was the BMW's first-place finish never in question, but I can't remember a comparison test with such lopsided results. Honestly, we had a hard time finding bad things to say. Aside from the as-tested price (see above!), the worst anyone could come up with is that the new 2.0-liter twin-scroll I-4 sounds like a diesel. But, as Evans logs, "That's hardly a complaint," and you only hear the clatter-clatter-clatter at idle. Let's call it the sound of efficiency. As for the good stuff, well, our notebooks were boiling over.
Here's a sampling. Kiino: "Does everything well. The epitome of a luxury sport sedan." Evans: "What a car. There really isn't anything this car does wrong." Jurnecka: "Last week I was telling a buddy (and huge BMW fan) that there isn't a single new BMW I'd even consider buying these days. I was wrong. I'd buy this car." Febbo: "Maybe the most impressive thing about the BMW is that there is no superfluous stuff. They just built a really solid car." Martinez: "Seriously, where's the M badge?" Kong: "BMW wants to make my life difficult with a shocking product that is as good as it's been hyped." Nishimoto: "BMW does what it does best with this new 328, and thus the bar is raised yet again." And from me, "They picked the appellation F30 for a reason. Like the E30, the new 328i is the ideal blend of engine, transmission, and chassis." Seriously, folks, I'm awed."
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

CALL_911

The F30's finish doesn't surprise me, but the G25s does, actually.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

TurboDan

I skipped to the 328i part (read the S60 portion too) and will go back read the rest later.

I agree the 328i has to be the best out of all of those cars tested. But let's face it – the price is absolutely outrageous. I hope BMW knows what they're doing - effectively replacing the 5er with the 3er, and the 3er with the 1er. The thing was, everyone loved the 3er just as it was. I feel like they may be killing the goose that laid the golden egg by taking an entry-lux staple and moving it so upmarket that many of the people who would've bought it will give the competition a closer look.

BMW has a unique position in the marketplace. When people think of Mercedes, Audi or the Japanese lux brands, they think of luxury interiors, snob factor, etc. BMW was always about being the "ultimate driving machine" first and foremost - and, oh yeah, it is also a pretty luxurious car, too. A lot of the people who didn't mind spending some extra dough on the BMW for its performance, handling and driveability may now be driven away from the brand by its high price tag. And at the same time, the people who buy Beamers for the snob factor won't want to be seen in a "lowly" 3er even though it's approaching $50K in some trims.

In my humble opinion, they shouldn't have messed with a good thing. I hope it doesn't blow up in their faces.

Also, the Cadillac ATS is going to be a wildcard in this segment. They are openly stating that they're gunning for the 3er. I wish that MT held off on this comparo, in some ways, since what could be the strongest competitor to the #1 car hasn't been released yet.

MexicoCityM3

From the article:

"The point I want to make is that, using BMW's online configurator, you can spec out a mechanically identical 328i Sport Line for $41,095 that would have beat up on and choked out the competition just like the one in our test did."
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

TurboDan

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on March 05, 2012, 08:40:17 PM
From the article:

"The point I want to make is that, using BMW's online configurator, you can spec out a mechanically identical 328i Sport Line for $41,095 that would have beat up on and choked out the competition just like the one in our test did."

True, but breaking the $40K barrier is going to psychologically turn a lot of people off. If you can spec out an ATS in the low-mid 30s and get similar performance, more standard features and (I really, really hate to bring this into it, but...) superior reliability and less expensive parts/repairs, that's going to add up to fewer sales for the 3er.

Will the 328i still be the best car at the end of the day? Of course it will. But everyone has their price limit. And a 3er that approaches $50K when you include taxes/title/interest will have a lot of people running to the competition, IMO. If I was looking for a car in this segment right now, I'd test the 3er, test the A4 and then hope my current car doesn't blow up while waiting for the ATS to emerge.

68_427

Pretty sure the red 328i sport at the Rochester show was like $36K or $38K.  I really dug the car.  I want one.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CJ

I was actually very surprised at how well the S60 did.  I've driven a T5 like the one they tested and found it very good.

Vinsanity

Well, damn. Now after reading this, I don't think I could settle for an E92. I might have to hold out for when used F30 convertibles start falling into my price range. Then again, I bought my car off the clearance rack as the superior-in-every-way 2nd-gen CTS started hitting the lots, so I suppose I wouldn't be miserable with an E92, if the necessity ever arises. Good thing I'm in no rush at the moment.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 05, 2012, 10:50:45 PM
Well, damn. Now after reading this, I don't think I could settle for an E92. I might have to hold out for when used F30 convertibles start falling into my price range. Then again, I bought my car off the clearance rack as the superior-in-every-way 2nd-gen CTS started hitting the lots, so I suppose I wouldn't be miserable with an E92, if the necessity ever arises. Good thing I'm in no rush at the moment.

Don't forget to drive for 15 km when you want to check your oil levels! :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Wow, the 3er handles? I can't hide that bulging erection in my pants. Think of all the girls I'll bed when I tell them I drive a car that handles on the track!  :rockon:

Auto Motor und Sport BMW 335i vs Mercedes C350

BMW 335i
2979cc inline-6 turbo, 306-horsepower, 400 Nm @ 1,200 RPM
0-100 km/h = 5.1 seconds
Top speed: 250 km/h
8-speed A/T
1610 kg weight

Fuel Economy
Urban: 10.2 L / 100 km
Rural: 5.5 L / 100 km
Average: 7.2 L / 100 km

Mercedes C350
3498cc V6, 306-horsepower, 370 Nm @ 3,500 RPM
0-100 km/h = 5.5 seconds
Top speed: 250 km/h
7-speed A/T
1624 kg weight

Fuel Economy
Urban: 9.4 L / 100 km
Rural: 5.3 L / 100 km
Average: 6.8 L / 100 km

SCANS

BMW wins naturally since the editors do want to get laid.  :devil:

Final score is BMW 335i 494 points, MB C350 491 points.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Xer0

Well, that was an interesting test.  The Benz put up a pretty good showing considering how old the basic car is (it was released in what, 07?) shame the engine isn?t up to par with the other German turbocharged engines.  Speaking of those two, to the surprise of no one the Audi and BMW 2.0?s put up way better performance figures than their numbers would suggest.  Really Audi, you?re one of the weakest engines in the group in one of the heaviest cars and you?re second fastest?  We?re on to you.

Another surprise was how much they liked the TSX.  If manuals were allowed in this test I imagine that the TSX would have probably scored even higher.  The G25 was a disappointment considering the pedigree and the GS really doesn?t surprise me, the Regal has been an underachiever since launch.

The BMW sounds like a winner but there is a new ATS around the corner and I can?t imagine a new C-class, A4, IS, or G being much longer now.  So far good showing BMW.

Cookie Monster

Damn, the F30 sounds amazing. I really want to test drive one.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

93JC

Quote from: TurboDan on March 05, 2012, 08:47:08 PM
True, but breaking the $40K barrier is going to psychologically turn a lot of people off.

Inflation's a bitch, eh?

The people of the U.S. are going to have to get used to higher car prices. I suspect, given how far the U.S. dollar has fallen in value with respect to the Euro over the last ten years, that BMW would have a hard time making money off the 3-series without increasing prices.

By comparison a 328i sedan starts at C$46,341 in Canada (US$46,245), and US$41,400 in Mexico. (BMW Canada also sells the 320i for $38,000-$39,000.)

SVT666

I'm not surprised by this.  After driving a 2008 323i, I'm a BMW believer now.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: TurboDan on March 05, 2012, 08:33:36 PM
I skipped to the 328i part (read the S60 portion too) and will go back read the rest later.

I agree the 328i has to be the best out of all of those cars tested. But let's face it ? the price is absolutely outrageous. I hope BMW knows what they're doing - effectively replacing the 5er with the 3er, and the 3er with the 1er. The thing was, everyone loved the 3er just as it was. I feel like they may be killing the goose that laid the golden egg by taking an entry-lux staple and moving it so upmarket that many of the people who would've bought it will give the competition a closer look.

BMW has a unique position in the marketplace. When people think of Mercedes, Audi or the Japanese lux brands, they think of luxury interiors, snob factor, etc. BMW was always about being the "ultimate driving machine" first and foremost - and, oh yeah, it is also a pretty luxurious car, too. A lot of the people who didn't mind spending some extra dough on the BMW for its performance, handling and driveability may now be driven away from the brand by its high price tag. And at the same time, the people who buy Beamers for the snob factor won't want to be seen in a "lowly" 3er even though it's approaching $50K in some trims.
You are right to observe that there is room at the bottom of BMW's lineup. IMO all that means is they will expand on the 1 series lineup in the US, which will be a good thing. I know people find the sneaker shape of the hatch ugly, but w/e. Maybe they will make a conventional sedan to complement the coupe, and offer some smaller engines. A return to the basics. Couldn't hurt

TurboDan

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 06, 2012, 12:19:49 PM
You are right to observe that there is room at the bottom of BMW's lineup. IMO all that means is they will expand on the 1 series lineup in the US, which will be a good thing. I know people find the sneaker shape of the hatch ugly, but w/e. Maybe they will make a conventional sedan to complement the coupe, and offer some smaller engines. A return to the basics. Couldn't hurt

Couldn't hurt at all. There is absolutely no reason for BMW to continue to refuse to offer 4cyl engines in the U.S. market. None. Gas prices are going through the roof. People are looking for alternatives.

Vinsanity

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 06, 2012, 12:19:49 PM

A while back someone did a photochop of a 1-series sedan, based on the coupe, and posted it on autoblog, I believe. It actually looked very good, IMO. The boxy shape gave it a very endearing and classic look.

sportyaccordy

Well they did just release a whole slew of new turbo 4 bangers.

2o6

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 06, 2012, 02:00:06 PM
A while back someone did a photochop of a 1-series sedan, based on the coupe, and posted it on autoblog, I believe. It actually looked very good, IMO. The boxy shape gave it a very endearing and classic look.

http://www.theophiluschin.com/?p=3349

This one was better, IMO

http://www.theophiluschin.com/?p=1734

Vinsanity

Quote from: 2o6 on March 06, 2012, 02:03:02 PM
http://www.theophiluschin.com/?p=3349

This one was better, IMO

http://www.theophiluschin.com/?p=1734

Yeah, it was the second one I was referring to. I haven't seen the chop of the newer model before now. I think it'd be a very neat idea, and a perfect car for the new turbo-4 motor.

sportyaccordy

For some reason manufacturers aren't hip to very small luxury cars. There was talk of Audi bringing over the A3 in sedan format

Note the eerie resemblance in general shape, size and details to the car that saved Audi, the B5 A4

but I'm not sure that will materialize. They're stuck in the US, as the current 1-series overlaps a little too much for comfort, but on the flip side, while a bare bones 1 series would actually more accurately recall BMW's humble beginnings in the US, the price gouging that came with them won't fly in these value driven times. A 120i sedan? I shudder to think how much they'd have to decontent to start the pricing around $20K. And as much as we love the idea, the reality is nobody is gonna pay a premium for nothing more than a badge and RWD at the low end of the market, at least in the US.

Vinsanity

$20k? BMW doesn't need to be price-compeitive with the Hyundai Sonata (in which case they might as well just partner up with Mazda). They'd be fine if they can do a 128i sedan priced just under a comparably-equipped IS250.

Also, that A3 sedan looks too much like every other A4 ever made, which in turn looks like a runt version of the bigger Audi sedans.

sportyaccordy

The base IS and 3 are within spitting range of each other price wise. And the gulf has to be big. Base 3 is 35K. I think for the 1 to be a significant volume model it would have to be at least 10K cheaper, otherwise I'm not sure it would be worth the effort. The current 1 doesn't move too many units, because BMW tried (but didn't try hard enough) to make it a "baby 3". When it should really offer a totally different experience (and a corresponding price point)

Colin

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 06, 2012, 02:00:06 PM
BMW started development of a 4 door 1 series (E83 or some such), but decided not to productionise it. It would barely have sold in western Europe, but Asian markets like the genre.

There almost certainly will be a 4 door sedan version of the new A3, again aimed largely at the ever more important Chinese market.

Vinsanity

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 06, 2012, 02:44:01 PM
The base IS and 3 are within spitting range of each other price wise. And the gulf has to be big. Base 3 is 35K. I think for the 1 to be a significant volume model it would have to be at least 10K cheaper, otherwise I'm not sure it would be worth the effort. The current 1 doesn't move too many units, because BMW tried (but didn't try hard enough) to make it a "baby 3". When it should really offer a totally different experience (and a corresponding price point)

It didn't occur to me that the 3 and IS are priced that close to each other (though at similar price points, the 3 is equipped like Fred Flintsone's car), but I don't think the price gap has to be that big. If BMW can sell a 128i with the token luxury items for just under $30k, that would make a great proposition. BMW intended the 1-series to be a baby-3 because the 3-series is obviously a huge icon, and continues to define to buyers what BMW is, and stands for.

Quote from: Colin on March 06, 2012, 02:44:21 PM
BMW started development of a 4 door 1 series (E83 or some such), but decided not to productionise it. It would barely have sold in western Europe, but Asian markets like the genre.

There almost certainly will be a 4 door sedan version of the new A3, again aimed largely at the ever more important Chinese market.

meh. I'd be 100x more excited about a 1-series sedan than an A3 sedan. But it's nice that Audi's planning one, now that the Jetta's moved from "premium" to mainstream.

Hachee

There's no question that there's room now for the A3 sedan and a 1-Series sedan.  I have no problem with the A4 and 3 Series priced the way they are, because they've really moved up a class and are sized and equipped accordingly.  Now I think they need to bring in the A3 and 1 Series and realistically start the pricing at $28K. 

MrH

$25k is too far down market.  BMW won't do that.

Current 128i starts at $31k pretty stripped.  And all their cars are moving up in price faster than a lot of other companies.  Somewhere around $33k for a stripper 1-series sounds about right.

I'm with everyone else though, I wish they held off on this comparison until they got a hold of the ATS.  If GM can provide 90% of the driving dynamics at 75% of the cost, they've got a chance at making a dent.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Vinsanity

If the ATS is 90% as good, I'd buy it at 90% of the F30's price. Unsurprisingly, I'm partial to the Caddy's styling.

2o6