Court Date

Started by CALL_911, March 06, 2012, 09:56:51 PM

CALL_911

So I have a court date for a speeding ticket I got in November, on the 21st of March. I was caught doing 41 mph in a 25. Apparently I can get this reduced to a "Failure to Obey a Traffic Control Device." (V.T.L. 1110(a)).

A couple of things:
1. Is it worth it, or should I just pay it up? This court date is during class time (and a lab at that), which is something of a pain in the ass.
2. What do I even say in court?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

AutobahnSHO

wrong area. :lol:   This is in the garage.  :thumbsup:

1- Dress nice. They know you're taking them (judges) seriously.
2- You'll have to go to a hearing first and probably plead, possibly get it dismissed/settled then, or have to go back.
3- The fine is nothing- it's the insurance that will kill you. If you already have a ticket or two it's more worth your time to fight it rather than pay it.

Will

2o6

Are court fees even worth it? I know in OH, you have to pay a court fee whether you're right or wrong.

Byteme

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 06, 2012, 09:56:51 PM
So I have a court date for a speeding ticket I got in November, on the 21st of March. I was caught doing 41 mph in a 25. Apparently I can get this reduced to a "Failure to Obey a Traffic Control Device." (V.T.L. 1110(a)).

A couple of things:
1. Is it worth it, or should I just pay it up? This court date is during class time (and a lab at that), which is something of a pain in the ass.

Why not see if you can take defensive driving to wipe the ticket off the books.  Plus you get a bonus of a small reduction in insurance fees when you tell them you've takent he course. 

68_427

A couple of things:

1110A is pretty much the standard.  Either the DA will will knock your ticket down to 1110A in court, or you'll get lucky and the cop will do it when he pulls you over.  Just say you're guilty and pay up.  That's what I did for my first ticket.  Barring you aren't the first in the court room, you'll see what others do and say.  You'll be ready by the time your name is called.  I think I paid $90 on the spot for court fees or whatever.

I'm hoping to get let off just as easy for my second one.  Although I'm doubtful.  Unless I get a frequent flyers discount.  1110A is 1 or two points on your license, I don't remember which though.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

The Pirate

A couple of things:

Meh, you're going to be fined regardless.  NY just wants (needs) money.  I've plead down to the 1110(a) a number of times.  Last I knew, it carried 2 points and was a lesser fine.  I'd take it personally.  Court is certainly worth going for an issue where you'd lose your license or be facing a serious fine, but for shit like this, it's not worth the time.  

Take the deal, pay up and be done with it.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on March 06, 2012, 10:38:48 PM
Are court fees even worth it? I know in OH, you have to pay a court fee whether you're right or wrong.

In PA, it's like $6.

Definitely worth it if you can get no points.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

The Pirate

Quote from: Raza  on March 07, 2012, 01:09:27 PM
In PA, it's like $6.

Definitely worth it if you can get no points.

The court surcharge on my roommate's last speeding ticket was $85.  Yay, NY.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

CALL_911

Is there any way I can get out of the points?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

The Pirate

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 07, 2012, 01:40:12 PM

Take your chances on getting it reduced further or thrown out completely in court.  But a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Raza

By getting it down to a 5 over (again, in PA).
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

Good luck, Ro.  You can wipe points off your record by going to Bad Boy Driving School.  Adam knows how things work in that state, given his extensive experience with the courts, so I'd listen to his advice.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

J86

Not to mention the "Driver Responsibility Assessment " ($300) you get in NY if you have more than 6 points on your license.  Get that reduced!

dazzleman

Quote from: J86 on March 07, 2012, 07:18:25 PM
Not to mention the "Driver Responsibility Assessment " ($300) you get in NY if you have more than 6 points on your license.  Get that reduced!

Did you get hit with that, Josh?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

J86

Quote from: dazzleman on March 07, 2012, 07:20:33 PM
Did you get hit with that, Josh?

Yup.  Wasn't aware of its existence at the time.  $600 later thanks to NYS highway patrol...

dazzleman

Quote from: J86 on March 07, 2012, 07:24:40 PM
Yup.  Wasn't aware of its existence at the time.  $600 later thanks to NYS highway patrol...

Did that come from one ticket or two?

J86

Quote from: dazzleman on March 07, 2012, 07:26:41 PM
Did that come from one ticket or two?

One, I think.  It was a few years back now.  Speeding in a work zone (on a goddamn Sunday when there's not a bloody soul in sight!)- mustha put me over the threshold.  Wasn't too excited about that one, let me tell you...  Thank god it never got back to my insurance company.

dazzleman

Quote from: J86 on March 07, 2012, 07:28:06 PM
One, I think.  It was a few years back now.  Speeding in a work zone (on a goddamn Sunday when there's not a bloody soul in sight!)- mustha put me over the threshold.  Wasn't too excited about that one, let me tell you...  Thank god it never got back to my insurance company.

Your license was Rhode Island, right?  Out of state tickets are much better than in-state tickets.

J86

Definitely, and RI is so backwards, none of my tickets- from NH, NY, one or two other states (I think), and Namibia (:lol:) ever showed up.

As to the OP: I've never even got to say anything to the judge.  Usually I find the officer ahead of time, he signs something, I go pay the clerk and jet.

dazzleman

Quote from: J86 on March 07, 2012, 07:37:30 PM
Definitely, and RI is so backwards, none of my tickets- from NH, NY, one or two other states (I think), and Namibia (:lol:) ever showed up.

As to the OP: I've never even got to say anything to the judge.  Usually I find the officer ahead of time, he signs something, I go pay the clerk and jet.

I didn't realize you had such an impressive record.  :praise:  Namibia?  Seriously?  :lol:

J86

Quote from: dazzleman on March 07, 2012, 07:43:50 PM
I didn't realize you had such an impressive record.  :praise:  Namibia?  Seriously?  :lol:

I drove the wrong way down a one way, woops :lol:  And got pulled over by a cop sitting in a lawn chair on the side of the road.  He was too lazy to process me and gave me directions to the police station.  Like I followed those...

dazzleman

Quote from: J86 on March 07, 2012, 07:46:41 PM
I drove the wrong way down a one way, woops :lol:  And got pulled over by a cop sitting in a lawn chair on the side of the road.  He was too lazy to process me and gave me directions to the police station.  Like I followed those...

Haha, thst's a good one, man.... :lol:

J86

That summer was full of some absolutely fantastic adventures.

dazzleman

Quote from: J86 on March 07, 2012, 07:52:08 PM
That summer was full of some absolutely fantastic adventures.

I get the sense that most of your life has been that.

J86

I try! :lol:

Lovely digression we've taken this thread in, isn't it

dazzleman

Quote from: J86 on March 07, 2012, 07:59:31 PM
I try! :lol:

Lovely digression we've taken this thread in, isn't it

Sure is..... :ohyeah:

68_427

If you're a AAA member, they offer an online course for free that removes up to 4 points off your license.

I' do it, but my judge, and I'm assuming your judge, would say no to the online course.  They want people to sit through classroom hell.
'racecar is die'
no

Byteme

Quote from: 68_427 on March 07, 2012, 08:58:42 PM
If you're a AAA member, they offer an online course for free that removes up to 4 points off your license.

I' do it, but my judge, and I'm assuming your judge, would say no to the online course.  They want people to sit through classroom hell.

Deferered ajudication ma also be an alternative.  It's worth asking about.

68_427

$235 and 3 point court day today.

fml
'racecar is die'
no

dazzleman

Quote from: 68_427 on March 09, 2012, 06:54:51 AM
$235 and 3 point court day today.

fml

Well, you got one freebee.  You can't expect another so close to the first.  I imagine they ran a rap sheet and saw that you had pleaded down your last ticket, and presumably hadn't learned your lesson.