"Oh what a feeling!" (2o6's Yaris)

Started by 2o6, March 13, 2012, 07:27:33 PM

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 24, 2012, 04:25:16 PM
Yes, if it wasn't for the badging, it could very easily be mistaken for a Chevy Citation. Much more beautiful than a Khamsin, Bora, or a Ghibli.

What was I thinking?

I like the Ghibli and Khamsin. The Bora I've always found ugly.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ifcar

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 24, 2012, 04:25:16 PM
Yes, if it wasn't for the badging, it could very easily be mistaken for a Chevy Citation. Much more beautiful than a Khamsin, Bora, or a Ghibli.

What was I thinking?

You forget that '80s General Motors Generica is Wimmer's favorite design scheme.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: ifcar on June 24, 2012, 07:26:24 PM
You forget that '80s General Motors Generica is Wimmer's favorite design scheme.

I don't forget, I just try to repress that knowledge because I find it disturbing.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 24, 2012, 03:37:17 PM
The Maserati Biturbo is to me the most beautiful Maserati ever made. Just a simple, yet totally elegant and classy/lovely design. Just look at it!  :wub:

Auto Classic magazine promised me that if they ever have a Citroen SM or Maserati Biturbo owner in town, I'll be the photographer!  :rockon:

:confused:  :nutty:

Do you just love any car designed with a ruler?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

2o6

There's a reason why the E30 succeeded, and the Biturbo failed.

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on June 24, 2012, 07:26:24 PM

If your parents gave you this baby for your birthday, would you say no?  :wub:

Actually I'm not a big fan of GM in the '80s. The only 1980s GM cars I think really looked awesome are:

And the Caprice Classic sedan/wagon which your parents will be giving you for your next birthday. Lucky bastard!!!

And I kind of think the Citation looked pretty cool to.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Raza  on June 25, 2012, 07:28:24 AM
:confused:  :nutty:

Do you just love any car designed with a ruler?

Cars with straight lines can look awesome. The Biturbo and 1st gen. Lancia Delta are just a few of those cool cars that feature lots of straight lines.

But I generally love the Biturbo from a design point of view. A very elegant car. I recently saw a convertible Biturbo in Munich a few weeks ago. Looked awesome.  :wub:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on June 25, 2012, 10:51:39 AM
There's a reason why the E30 succeeded, and the Biturbo failed.

The Biturbo didn't fail. It actually sold very strongly because it was priced to be affordable. It was a "mass market Maserati" if you will.

Also, the problems of the Biturbo can be fixed and cured [permanently] with a modern overhaul. The weakspots are known and there are solutions to the problems that aren't even that expensive. The classic car magazine I shoot for has already done a report on that in the past and as I found out on Sunday from the chief editor, the two Biturbo owners who participated use them as reliable daily drivers. A Biturbo can be made reliable with a little investment and IMO that's a good thing. They're such sexy cars.

If they ever do a story on a Biturbo again I'll be called on to photograph them. Man I love that car.  :wub:

^Put a Yaris next to that and then talk about design!^  :evildude:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

SVT666

I might be in the minority, but that's not awesome.  It looks like a Chrysler Lebaron with Maserati logo.

Rupert

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 25, 2012, 06:22:45 PM
If your parents gave you this baby for your birthday, would you say no?  :wub:

Yes, I absolutely would. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

cawimmer430

Quote from: SVT666 on June 25, 2012, 06:29:32 PM
I might be in the minority, but that's not awesome.  It looks like a Chrysler Lebaron with Maserati logo.

What about the latter versions of the Biturbo family?

Ghibli II

Maserati Shamal

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Rupert on June 25, 2012, 06:32:31 PM
Yes, I absolutely would. ;)

I think those are awesome. I grew up with those cars in the '80s watching...action movies. :lol:

But seriously, I think the '80s Caprice is a very elegant design. Simple, yet classy. Very elegant. I know people must think I am nuts, but I am honest about my feelings for those cars.  :praise:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Rupert

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 25, 2012, 06:33:29 PM

Ghibli II

Maserati Shamal

Those cars are to the Biturbo what the 944 and 951 were to the 924.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Rupert on June 25, 2012, 06:46:32 PM
Those cars are to the Biturbo what the 944 and 951 were to the 924.

Yeah, pretty much. And they were also better built and more reliable than the original Biturbo. A client of mine has a blue Ghibli II which I hope to shoot soon.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Rupert

Well, I'd rather have a 924 than a Biturbo, I can tell you that.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Rupert on June 25, 2012, 06:54:38 PM
Well, I'd rather have a 924 than a Biturbo, I can tell you that.

Why own a 924 when you can own a 944? Which you already do! :lol:

One of the classic car owners yesterday has a 924 S. He claims that he can do 200 km/h (125 mph) on the Autobahn all day and that his 924 S will only consume 12 L / 100 km (19.6 mpg). I find that very hard to believe.

http://www.carspin.net/forums/index.php?topic=27652.msg1739662#new

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Rupert

Why have a Biturbo when you can have a Ghibli II?

125 is pretty optimistic, but it's within believable range.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Rupert on June 25, 2012, 07:13:28 PM
Why have a Biturbo when you can have a Ghibli II?

PWNED.  :lol:

I'd rather have a Biturbo, though. Looks simpler and better IMO.  :wub:

Quote from: Rupert on June 25, 2012, 07:13:28 PM125 is pretty optimistic, but it's within believable range.

Well he has the 924 S and the German version might have different gear ratios that enable a top speed of 200 km/h (he said it was his top speed anyway). But the fuel consumption seems way to optimistic. When I'm blasting down the Autobahn at 200 km/h+ in my 1er it'll suck down gas at the rate like a Ford Excursion 6.8 V10 does while idling in traffic!  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Rupert

Yeah, sounds like he measured his mileage wrong.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: SVT666 on June 25, 2012, 06:29:32 PM
I might be in the minority, but that's not awesome.  It looks like a Chrysler Lebaron with Maserati logo.

That's not fair.

This IS a Chrysler lebaron with a maserati logo, and it looks better.

The Lebaron those years was a decently good looking car though, but the TC was such a piece of ridiculous badge-engineering BS I can't look at one without getting the heebie jeebies.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 25, 2012, 06:33:29 PM

I actually like them a little better. I wouldn't mind having a Shamal actually, but I don't see it as a good design on its own merits. its interesting because it nails down a certain late '80s performance sedan look.

Rupert

Yeah, I agree with that. Actually, both of the last two posts.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 25, 2012, 07:55:43 PM
That's not fair.

This IS a Chrysler lebaron with a maserati logo, and it looks better.

The Lebaron those years was a decently good looking car though, but the TC was such a piece of ridiculous badge-engineering BS I can't look at one without getting the heebie jeebies.

And a Mitsubishi engine!  :lol:

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 25, 2012, 07:57:30 PM
I actually like them a little better. I wouldn't mind having a Shamal actually, but I don't see it as a good design on its own merits. its interesting because it nails down a certain late '80s performance sedan look.

When I was growing up in the late '80s and early '90s, I thought the Shamal was one of the hottest cars on the road. Nowadays I think the design is awful. I think they took the beautiful basic shape of the Biturbo and added on weight in the form of thick plastic.

The Biturbo remains my favorite.  :wub:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Uh oh, there goes the quality!  :devil:

Toyota to build Yaris in France for North America

Toyota has already made it abundantly clear the company intends to scale back production in Japan in an attempt to combat the ever-strengthening Yen, and now it looks as if we know one of the ways the automaker plans to do so. Toyota has announced it will manufacture U.S. and Canadian-spec Yaris models in its Onnaing-Valenciennes facility in France. The plant has been producing the Yaris hatchback for European buyers since 2001, though this marks the first time in Toyota history that the automaker has built a vehicle in Europe and imported the model to the States.

North American-spec Yaris models differ slightly from their European counterparts. In addition to using different fascia designs front and rear, the NA model comes available with an automatic transmission and a market-specific 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine. There is some differentiation in safety equipment between the two models as well.

Japanese automakers have recently revealed that building cars in Japan and exporting them around the globe is quickly becoming a money-losing proposition. Honda has made it clear the company is seeking alternatives to producing models like the Fit and CR-Z in Japan due to the high costs associated with exporting the vehicles.

Link: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/25/toyota-to-build-yaris-in-france-for-north-america/

www.wimmerfotografie.de

nickdrinkwater

We have 2 French-built Yarises, one of which has been owned since 2002, and both very reliable and tight. 

cawimmer430

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on June 26, 2012, 10:13:04 AM
We have 2 French-built Yarises, one of which has been owned since 2002, and both very reliable and tight. 

I was being sarcastic...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

nickdrinkwater

I thought you were being serious -- you'd have a point since I think a lot of French cars feel cheap

cawimmer430

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on June 26, 2012, 10:21:08 AM
I thought you were being serious -- you'd have a point since I think a lot of French cars feel cheap

Those from the '80s and '90s maybe, not the new ones. Love the new Citroens and Peugeots I've sat in at the dealerships. When you close the doors they feel solid to.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on June 26, 2012, 10:21:08 AM

French cars are the best.  Renaultsport.   :wub:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.