My new car: 2011 Infiniti G37x sedan.

Started by GoCougs, March 14, 2012, 11:44:21 PM

Atomic

Quote from: thecarnut on March 15, 2012, 09:24:03 AM
Lets not get carried away here.
love the infiniti, especially in that gorgeous blue! i agree, too, about the accord. such an easy car to love and live with. after owning 8 maxima's, the logical move would be an infiniti... will certainly look for updates to see how the "G" is running. sweet car!. AWD/4WD is a must for me and is not that much more expensive. a neighbor has a new infiniti FX and he loves it, as well as the service from infiniti. was hoping to see a new EX before buying a post-accident crossover. if not for wanting to be on stilts (lol!), the "G" from infiniti would be right up there with the audi A4.

Raza

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on March 15, 2012, 11:49:33 AM
AWD has its advantages in the rain also

Ehh......it's debatable whether or not it's worth the trade-off.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Seattle is fairly temperate but can get some snow, and a lot of the area immediately surrounding the city sees significant snowfall. There's a fricking glacier on Mt Ranier for Pete's sake.

Do you know where Seattle is?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on March 15, 2012, 12:10:38 PM
Seattle is fairly temperate but can get some snow, and a lot of the area immediately surrounding the city sees significant snowfall. There's a fricking glacier on Mt Ranier for Pete's sake.

AWD is not necessary, but it's nice to have.

S204STi

I agree with Craig.  While I love having it, there are some people for whom it's a turnoff.  And no, it's not necessary.  In the recent Snopocalypse there were plenty of vids showing 4wd cars sliding all over the place in the slick stuff too, so it's not a cure-all.  Tires and driving skill will get you out of many scrapes.

GoCougs

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on March 15, 2012, 11:49:33 AM

AWD has its advantages in the rain also

~50% reason was mountain snow driving. I?m skiing once a week and the passes periodically have chains/AWD requirement and very often snow tires required. The Accord does okay with dedicated snows but it?s a far cry from AWD with dedicated snows. This season I?ve also had many a close call in ski area parking lots (in getting stuck). All in all there is relatively little penalty for AWD (cost, performance, MPG, reliability, etc.) so I figure why not?

The other ~50% is indeed wet weather performance. This area is wet 50-60% of the time and powerful 2WD cars easily lose traction. The Accord was easily bumping into traction control with moderate throttle; add a bit of slope or curve and loss of traction was pronounced. I can?t get any slip with full throttle launches on the G37x. Hit the throttle and it just grips and shoots. In the wet from a start or lower speeds the G37x is literally twice as quick as the Accord.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on March 15, 2012, 11:51:44 AM
Well, now I can't get one.  BMW 335i it is.

Ha, ha. Glad to know I have such a profound effect on your real life.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on March 15, 2012, 12:21:30 PM
~50% reason was mountain snow driving. I?m skiing once a week and the passes periodically have chains/AWD requirement and very often snow tires required. The Accord does okay with dedicated snows but it?s a far cry from AWD with dedicated snows. This season I?ve also had many a close call in ski area parking lots (in getting stuck). All in all there is relatively little penalty for AWD (cost, performance, MPG, reliability, etc.) so I figure why not?

The other ~50% is indeed wet weather performance. This area is wet 50-60% of the time and powerful 2WD cars easily lose traction. The Accord was easily bumping into traction control with moderate throttle; add a bit of slope or curve and loss of traction was pronounced. I can?t get any slip with full throttle launches on the G37x. Hit the throttle and it just grips and shoots. In the wet from a start or lower speeds the G37x is literally twice as quick as the Accord.

:hesaid: I agree with this.

Fuck.

SVT666

Quote from: S204STi on March 15, 2012, 12:17:51 PM
I agree with Craig.  While I love having it, there are some people for whom it's a turnoff.  And no, it's not necessary.  In the recent Snopocalypse there were plenty of vids showing 4wd cars sliding all over the place in the slick stuff too, so it's not a cure-all.  Tires and driving skill will get you out of many scrapes.
I will buy RWD every time, but my wife wants nothing but AWD.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on March 15, 2012, 12:26:09 PM
Ha, ha. Glad to know I have such a profound effect on your real life.
You don't really, I just think it's fun to play it up.  Once I drove the BMW 3er, I was sold, so my decision was already made.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on March 15, 2012, 12:10:38 PM

Washington. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Atomic

Quote from: SVT666 on March 15, 2012, 12:28:28 PM
I will buy RWD every time, but my wife wants nothing but AWD.
i would love not having to worry about horrible NY weather, yet not that bad this year. RWD would open up far more options and allow me to save some money for things like the premium stereo and other non essentials.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26986.msg1685812#msg1685812 date=1331836219
Washington.  

GoCougs

Here's the wheels I wanted - 18" upgrade (I have the standard 17" wheels, which look really really plain to me). They can be had from Infiniti for $400/per which is a bit expensive, plus they'd need new tires so I'd be looking at ~$2,400 to upgrade. Have been looking at eBay but probably wouldn't do that (and they're not a whole lot cheaper used).

CJ

Th standard wheels are a bit plain, but they mean a better ride and cheaper tire costs.

SVT666

Just get after market rims that look similar for much less.  They're kinda similar to the wheels I have on my Focus and I paid $125 per wheel on Tire Rack.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on March 15, 2012, 12:29:30 PM
You don't really, I just think it's fun to play it up.  Once I drove the BMW 3er, I was sold, so my decision was already made.

I am the way and the light.

GoCougs

Quote from: CJ on March 15, 2012, 01:12:50 PM
Th standard wheels are a bit plain, but they mean a better ride and cheaper tire costs.

Very true, and why I'm not too busted about it. The car already looks very good as is.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on March 15, 2012, 01:12:59 PM
Just get after market rims that look similar for much less.  They're kinda similar to the wheels I have on my Focus and I paid $125 per wheel on Tire Rack.

I hate aftermarket rims, and would never ever buy 'em for any vehicle I'd ever own.

68_427

Would you consider rims off other Infiniti models?
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

sportyaccordy

I'm seeing OEM wheels on Ebay for much, much cheaper. $1000 a set for 18s. Tires prob another 600 or so.

CJ

Quote from: GoCougs on March 15, 2012, 01:15:02 PM
Very true, and why I'm not too busted about it. The car already looks very good as is.

That it does. You picked out an excellent color.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on March 15, 2012, 01:15:26 PM
I hate aftermarket rims, and would never ever buy 'em for any vehicle I'd ever own.
Why do you hate aftermarket rims?  That seems very....silly.

S204STi

Quote from: GoCougs on March 15, 2012, 01:15:02 PM

Bigger is rarely better, when it comes to wheel size.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: SVT666 on March 15, 2012, 01:36:37 PM
Why do you hate aftermarket rims?  That seems very....silly.
:popcorn:
Quote from: GoCougs on March 15, 2012, 12:21:30 PM

Nice car!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Rich

Quote from: GoCougs on March 15, 2012, 09:09:47 AM
I'm serious when I say the Accord is not embarrassed by the G. Some of the finer details on the Accord are even a bit better engineered IMO. The Accord is a very 'enthusiastic' vehicle.

So what's next after this?
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

AutobahnSHO

AWD pwns anything. Unless you're trying to do burnouts or DRIFTAROO.
Will

GoCougs

Almost done accessorizing. Luckily the ski racks fit. Got a lot of the settings and other stuff such as the iPod interface set. Have an appointment tomorrow to get the hitch receiver installed (for my bike rack).

GoCougs

Quote from: 68_427 on March 15, 2012, 01:22:39 PM
Would you consider rims off other Infiniti models?

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 15, 2012, 01:23:30 PM
I'm seeing OEM wheels on Ebay for much, much cheaper. $1000 a set for 18s. Tires prob another 600 or so.

Quote from: S204STi on March 15, 2012, 01:37:13 PM
Bigger is rarely better, when it comes to wheel size.

Thought about it for a bit - I'll just stick with the current setup for now.