My new car: 2011 Infiniti G37x sedan.

Started by GoCougs, March 14, 2012, 11:44:21 PM

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on March 15, 2012, 01:36:37 PM
Why do you hate aftermarket rims?  That seems very....silly.

I'm not sure - I just have never like the look.

GoCougs

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 15, 2012, 09:55:02 PM
AWD pwns anything. Unless you're trying to do burnouts or DRIFTAROO.

Driving around a bit more today and over my typical routes where the Accord would lose all sorts of traction the G just grips and shoots. I'd say it's more than twice as quick...

GoCougs

Stupid question time with - with keyless entry how does one do the hidden key thing? Obviously hiding the 2nd keyless fob on the car would simply leave the car unlocked at all times yet there are not key slots on any of the doors. I don't lock myself out a lot but I manage to do it once every few years it seems...

SVT666

Can you take the battery out and put it in the same Hidden Key container?  On second thought, that might erase the programming.

Rupert

Uh, how does one lock themselves out if, by leaving the key near the car, the car is always unlocked?  :hammerhead:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on March 15, 2012, 10:36:54 PM
Can you take the battery out and put it in the same Hidden Key container?  On second thought, that might erase the programming.

There is no key on the fob (or keyhole on the doors). Only the keyless fob can unlock anything - so no battery = no work.

GoCougs

Quote from: Rupert on March 15, 2012, 10:42:25 PM
Uh, how does one lock themselves out if, by leaving the key near the car, the car is always unlocked?  :hammerhead:

I see what you did there.

There's the scenario if the key fob discharges (it needs to be periodically charged in the car).

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on March 15, 2012, 11:07:30 PM
There is no key on the fob (or keyhole on the doors). Only the keyless fob can unlock anything - so no battery = no work.
No kidding.  You put the battery in the keybox with the fob and if you need it you put the battery back in.  But like I said, the fob may lose it's programming.

GoCougs

I got it solved. There is actually a key in the fob (it's small, and in a hidden compartment, and there is indeed a keyhole on the driver's door). Put only the key in the magnetic hidden key thingy. Saved.

Laconian

Congratulations, looks like a sweet car. Afty broke my G cherry a few months ago. Nice ride. :mrcool:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on March 15, 2012, 10:13:06 PM
I'm not sure - I just have never like the look.

I'm not sure if all aftermarket wheels have the same look, though; you can get ones that look very OE.  Hell, BBS, for example, used to be the manufacturer of some Volkswagen wheels (like the Passat W8s), I'm pretty sure.  And my current car's wheels ape that BBS style.  So there's a good bit of variety in the aftermarket.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Morris Minor

Congratulations, good choice. Late in the model cycle it should be nice & reliable; all the bugs have been sorted.

I'm wondering if one of these would work for me later this year. The 2013 redesign should be coming out, so I might get a deal on the outgoing 2011/12.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: GoCougs on March 15, 2012, 11:59:32 PM
I got it solved. There is actually a key in the fob (it's small, and in a hidden compartment, and there is indeed a keyhole on the driver's door). Put only the key in the magnetic hidden key thingy. Saved.

Got the same thing on mine.

With the new push start love by manufacturers, you see this a lot. They do a clever job hiding the key part. What I find cool on mine is that there is a release for the key so it always stays locked in unless I need it. The cool thing about keyless systems like our is that I actually tried to intentionally lock my keys in the car. When the fob is in the car, it CANNOT be locked by the door handle on the outside. I'm not sure if your Infiniti does the same thing, but it probably does.

1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

WookieOnRitalin

PS: Great ride! Enjoy! Always liked the G.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

AutobahnSHO

If you unlock with a metal key, does it still deactivate the alarm??
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: GoCougs on March 15, 2012, 10:15:02 PM
Driving around a bit more today and over my typical routes where the Accord would lose all sorts of traction the G just grips and shoots. I'd say it's more than twice as quick...

Yup- I would like to get an AWD minivan next time, I hate getting in the Sienna and punching it only to spin a tire around a corner (from a stop) or on wet or sandy roads..

You get so used to the AWD it's just 'normal'. I've never slipped a tire in the Subaru, even in the Great Georgia Snowstorm of 2010. (We got 6 inches. First time in 20years.)
Will

AltinD

In this forum most of the people think that AWD/4WD neither improves handling, nor traction in bad weather condition .....

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Hachee

Congrats, nice car!  Enjoy it.  And nice color combo.  A friend of mine has the same one, and he loves it.

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Xer0

I was kind of hoping that you would get the manual TL as it is a pretty unique car.  But the G is pretty solid too.  Hope it treats you well!

Tave

Quote from: AltinD on March 16, 2012, 06:26:23 AM
In this forum most of the people think that AWD/4WD neither improves handling, nor traction in bad weather condition .....

Not true. Even the most ardent 2WD'er argued nothing more than that the tradeoff wasn't worth it, not that traction didn't increase.

BTW, how many inches of snow did Dubai get last year, oh wise one?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Xer0 on March 16, 2012, 09:03:19 AM
I was kind of hoping that you would get the manual TL as it is a pretty unique car.  But the G is pretty solid too.  Hope it treats you well!
Yeah, I think I could look past the fuglyness of the TL for that sweet AWD + 6 speed. Plus cougs loves the J series engine (I have to admit, it is a pretty sweet engine) and he'd get that too.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Xer0

GoCougs

Quote from: HotRodPilot on March 16, 2012, 08:12:22 AM
Next car!!

I held onto the Honda ~2 years too long. 5 years was enough. I'll be getting something else 4-5 years from now. No clue what that will be.

GoCougs

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 16, 2012, 04:20:30 AM
Congratulations, good choice. Late in the model cycle it should be nice & reliable; all the bugs have been sorted.

I'm wondering if one of these would work for me later this year. The 2013 redesign should be coming out, so I might get a deal on the outgoing 2011/12.

My research showed that much as the 2nd gen the couple will debut first (MY2013) with the sedan to follow (MY2014). Even so, there are lot of 'em in my area under 30k miles and under $30k. They're fantastic deals.

GoCougs

As to the TL, I thought about it but the styling just sucks too much. Plus, it's a much bigger car than the G sedan and I would have been waiting a while to find one.

68_427

Quote from: GoCougs on March 16, 2012, 01:51:18 PM
I held onto the Honda ~2 years too long. 5 years was enough. I'll be getting something else 4-5 years from now. No clue what that will be.

It'll most certainly be a Cadillac.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

TurboDan

Quote from: GoCougs on March 15, 2012, 01:06:11 PM
Here's the wheels I wanted - 18" upgrade (I have the standard 17" wheels, which look really really plain to me). They can be had from Infiniti for $400/per which is a bit expensive, plus they'd need new tires so I'd be looking at ~$2,400 to upgrade. Have been looking at eBay but probably wouldn't do that (and they're not a whole lot cheaper used).

Might be a little too out there for you, but I might hit that thing up with black rims that have chrome highlights. I could see it looking hot on a G.

Either way, awesome, awesome decision. I always really liked the G35/37 from the time it came out. Had I bought a car instead of my recent SUV, I would've either gotten another Passat, a 3er or a G. It was on my list until Hurricane Irene came and made me want ground clearance/towing. But I wouldn't mind a G coupe to play around in after the LR is paid off.