Lincoln MKZ.....

Started by 2o6, April 02, 2012, 11:06:46 PM

2o6

The design committee needs to be fired.

2o6

God, this car looks so horrible. The profile is absolutely horrible....super high belt line for no reason at all. Wheels look tiny, character line has this odd cresting effect near the B-piller, front fascia is scaled totally wrong, interior is a copy-paste from the Fusion.....the Lexus ES will eat this alive.

hotrodalex

Some design elements look awesome, but overall it needs a lot of tweaks to make it look right.

TurboDan

Interior and rear end look really, really good. The rest... ouch.

SVT666

I don't even mind the front so much.  It's the profile that bothers me, but otherwise I think it looks rather good.

Raza

I don't mind the profile, it's the front that ruins it.  I like the back and the rear 3/4s, but the front is so bad.  It looks bad when you see it, and it looks bad in profile; it's too high and too blunt for how sharp the rear is.  It's 70% a good looking car.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Atomic

Quote from: SVT666 on April 03, 2012, 12:06:36 AM
I don't even mind the front so much.  It's the profile that bothers me, but otherwise I think it looks rather good.
we have been agreeing a lot lately. the front looks great. it says "lincoln" and i can understand the importance of the car being easily recognizable. the interior is elegant while even showing a sportier side. the profile is hideous, except when squinting your eyes, but that is it. i think the rear is interested and i think will grow on me.

the c-pillar needs the most work but its too late for such major tweaks. the last chrysler sebring sedan (now chrysler 200) garnered a similar response, but years later chrysler made significant improvements and a name change was another critical (but risky) move. lincoln does not have the luxury of time.

Atomic

great pics, nice and clear, 2o6... here it is in red and a video of its unique roof, plus additional text:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2012/04/2013-lincoln-mkz-unveiled-in-style/1

Xer0

I think its pretty good looking actually, not amazing, but not bad.  And besides, the Sonata is proof that striking works far better than beautiful in the car world and this is certainly not boring.  It?s a mid cycle refresh away from being pretty attractive.

pendyman

I think it?s all right. In some views there?s a little too much Lexus ES in it, but overall not bad. Can?t wait to see it in person at the NY Auto Show next week.

FoMoJo

I saw the concept at the local auto show...

It looked pretty good.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Submariner

Yup, another bloated, ugly Lincoln.  At least they're committed to that theme. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

WookieOnRitalin

I like it. Which means it won't sell well.

I don't see the gripes about the profile in that color. In White its not so hot, but in that grey metallic it looks good. I'm giving Lincoln some credit for making an effort, but I am not sure what customer base Lincoln is really going after. My guess is comfort, but at that price point, wouldn't you rather sit in a Lexus?
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

sportyaccordy

Looks like a JDM Toyota Avalon concept that had an allergic reaction to something

Cookie Monster

Besides the huge grille, I like it a lot. :mask:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

I'm surprised at the reaction of you guys. I think it looks horrible.

SVT666

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 03, 2012, 08:59:54 AM
I saw the concept at the local auto show...

It looked pretty good.
It looks awesome in that colour.

93JC

I like it, but I predict it will do horribly. The proportions are a little weird but overall I think it looks 'nice'.

Perception > reality, particularly in the luxury car game. Seems about half of you hate it already because it's a Lincoln.

Vinsanity

It's not the styling that I have a problem with; I like that Lincoln is getting progressively more bold and confident in styling. The reason I wouldn't buy this car is the same reason I wouldn't buy the Cadillac XTS. They're both unremarkable products hiding humble underpinnings beneath their skin. Heck, they're even very similar in profile. I agree with Rob in saying that if I wanted to spend this kind of money on this kind of car, why not get a Lexus?

93JC

Quote from: Vinsanity on April 03, 2012, 03:13:46 PM
The reason I wouldn't buy this car is the same reason I wouldn't buy the Cadillac XTS. They're both unremarkable products hiding humble underpinnings beneath their skin.

Quote from: 93JC on April 03, 2012, 02:58:48 PM
Perception > reality, particularly in the luxury car game.

FoMoJo

It's not the styling that I have a problem with; I like that Lincoln is getting progressively more bold and confident in styling. The reason I wouldn't buy this car is the same reason I wouldn't buy the Cadillac XTS. They're both unremarkable products hiding humble underpinnings beneath their skin. Heck, they're even very similar in profile. I agree with Rob in saying that if I wanted to spend this kind of money on this kind of car, why not get a Lexus?
A comparable Lexus has the underpinnings of a Camry.  The MKZ has the underpinnings of a Fusion.  The best that can be said for the Lexus is that it has a comfortable ride and seating, otherwise, it's quite bland.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

FoMoJo

Quote from: SVT666 on April 03, 2012, 02:08:24 PM
It looks awesome in that colour.
It's very pleasing to behold.  Until I saw it in person, I didn't think much of it.

SVT666

The comparable Lexus is a Camry.

Colonel Cadillac

I agree with Raza. It's 70% a good looking car. Hopefully it steals a Lexus ES buyer or two, I quite like Ford and I don't enjoy watching Lincoln do so poorly.

Vinsanity

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 03, 2012, 03:39:10 PM
A comparable Lexus has the underpinnings of a Camry.  The MKZ has the underpinnings of a Fusion.  The best that can be said for the Lexus is that it has a comfortable ride and seating, otherwise, it's quite bland.
Quote from: SVT666 on April 03, 2012, 04:17:35 PM
The comparable Lexus is a Camry.

I'm aware of that. The most compelling reason to buy a luxury car based on a mainstreamer would be lower operating costs, which is where the Camry's reputation helps favor the Lexus. The biggest selling point of the Fusion would be a sportier driving dynamic, which somewhat disappears in its transformation into a luxury car (and pales in comparison to the RWD competitors)

cawimmer430

I find the exterior to be actually very generic. You can see "similar designs" in the current Buick sedan and Kia lineup. It just doesn't excite me. In terms of designs the Lincolns from the '60s, '70s and '80s are the best IMO. Lincoln should go retro. I'd love to see a new retro-designed version of the boxy '80s Town Car or '60s Continental.

The interior on the other hand is very nice. Futuristic and yet simplistic, which gives it a pleasing, elegant appearance.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FoMoJo

Quote from: Vinsanity on April 03, 2012, 04:50:39 PM
I'm aware of that. The most compelling reason to buy a luxury car based on a mainstreamer would be lower operating costs, which is where the Camry's reputation helps favor the Lexus. The biggest selling point of the Fusion would be a sportier driving dynamic, which somewhat disappears in its transformation into a luxury car (and pales in comparison to the RWD competitors)
How does the Camry's reputation favour the Lexus regarding lower operating costs.  Mpg is pretty well a wash and I expect that maintenance at a Lexus/Camry dealership would be higher than at a Ford/Lincoln; based on notional information. 

LonghornTX

Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

CJ

Definitely like it.  It's much better than the new ES, which just screams dull.

2o6

Quote from: Submariner on April 03, 2012, 09:13:49 AM
Yup, another bloated, ugly Lincoln.  At least they're committed to that theme. 

I don't understand, Acura has a slightly less ugly styling language, and they get derided at every turn. However, this car gets a pass!?