BRZ gets slammed by EVO and comes in last in comparo...

Started by 565, April 21, 2012, 07:41:56 AM

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 22, 2012, 11:48:01 AM
Buying a car in the hopes of impressing people who know nothing about you is ridiculous.

I can understand if you work in a field where you have to drive clients around a lot. But for the avg Joe Blow who gives a shit? My next car is gonna be cheap and fun to drive, and thats gonna be the end of it.

Not gonna argue otherwise, especially since EoT pointed out that most people have a negative view of drivers of those particular brands. My argument was that a lot of people-- most people, even-- actually can tell cars apart enough to form an opinion of their drivers.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

TurboDan

Quote from: 68_427 on April 22, 2012, 12:07:18 AM
Tons of Subarus in the wealthy areas around here.  Doctors and dentists love them.

Funny, the dentist who lived a few houses away from me growing up always drove a Subaru. Weird.

r0tor

Seems like an enterprising individual with suspension setup knowledge could make some serious money on coilover kits for the brz...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Lebowski

Quote from: Raza  on April 21, 2012, 05:50:48 PM
Yeah, that's why I said "not to be".  I know it's not right, but the idea of buying and driving a Scion makes me feel dirty.  I'm an adult, I want to drive a car made for adults, not one marketed to the sideways hat crowd. 

+1

I don't consider myself a brand snob (hell I have a plastic Chevy and a Toyota) but I would be reluctant to buy a scion.  It just seems like a 16 year olds' car to me.

thewizard16

Quote from: S204STi on April 21, 2012, 11:30:20 PM
:lol:

I suppose I should clarify that too; lots of the yuppy set around here buy either BMW, Audi, or Subaru.  (Yuppies, to clarify, are the young wealthy set, definitely more into collared shirts than saggy pants).
I live in the yuppie/rich hippie/young professional part of town and it's decidedly a Lexus (they love the IS it seems), Audi, BMW, and Prius (yes, they are prevalent enough to qualify as a brand group) predominance. Subarus aren't as common. I think they'd rather buy a Subaru than a Scion though.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 22, 2012, 11:48:42 AM
Then who is of your concern?

Don't you have your own standards that you want to live up to?  There's a reason I don't dress like a slob, act like a jackass, et al. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

I'm just confused as to how a BRZ is classy and an FR-S is trashy. They are literally the same car.

Plus its not like the avg Scion buyer is some backwards cap 16 year old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scion_%28automobile%29#Target_market

Just seems silly. Yes I have standards. But there is a difference between having standards that are appropriate to where you are in life, and being crippled by your image.

Lebowski

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 23, 2012, 08:53:20 AM
I'm just confused as to how a BRZ is classy and an FR-S is trashy. They are literally the same car.

Just seems silly. Yes I have standards. But there is a difference between having standards that are appropriate to where you are in life, and being crippled by your image.

That link says its buyers have the lowest average age in the industry :huh:

True they're not all literally 16 y/o but it's no secret that scion is geared towards younger buyers.

sportyaccordy

Younger than the 62 year olds that are Toyota's avg buyer, but again, not backwards cap wearing high schoolers.

Lebowski

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 23, 2012, 09:34:47 AM
Younger than the 62 year olds that are Toyota's avg buyer, but again, not backwards cap wearing high schoolers.

No, not just younger than Toyota, the youngest in the entire industry.

Eye of the Tiger

It is a fact that 87% of Scion buyers over the age of 40 bought the cars for their teenage kids.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

ifcar

Quote from: Lebowski on April 23, 2012, 09:32:22 AM
That link says its buyers have the lowest average age in the industry :huh:

In part, though, that's because it's not a full-line brand. In general, young people are going to buy more small, inexpensive cars, so a brand that only sells that gets an automatic advantage.

MrH

There was an interesting article on TTAC about how the younger drivers out there want a sophisticated car that people take seriously, not something that's marketed with Monster energy drink. I'll post a link when i get my computer back from IT.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CALL_911

Quote from: MrH on April 23, 2012, 09:47:55 AM
There was an interesting article on TTAC about how the younger drivers out there want a sophisticated car that people take seriously, not something that's marketed with Monster energy drink. I'll post a link when i get my computer back from IT.

I knew I'd have the GTI for at least 10 years, so I should probably get something that wouldn't look too ridiculous in that much time. That's why I didn't really consider the Mini Cooper S.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on April 23, 2012, 09:47:55 AM

For every younger driver that wants a serious car, there's a younger driver that desires to look like a Monster douche...

2o6

There is no difference between a Scion Dealer and a normal Toyota dealer. When I went to drive the xD, it was exactly the same as the Toyota dealer, but with the addition of "no haggle pricing". You guys are being total retards.

Seriously, there is nothing different. They will try to sell you a Yaris or Corolla if they think that would suit you better.

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 23, 2012, 08:53:20 AM

Dude.  Minpin drives a Scion.  Need I say more?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27269.msg1708376#msg1708376 date=1335199602
Dude.  Minpin drives a Scion.  Need I say more?

You drive a Volkswagen. I think that's worse.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27269.msg1708382#msg1708382 date=1335199718
Do tell.

They are known for treating you like crap, and the whole reputation for the entire make are for rich, stupid girls.

Does it mean anything to me? No. I just see the end product.

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

2o6

Quote from: HotRodPilot on April 23, 2012, 10:53:39 AM

Example two. They're either stupid white girls, or stupid "stretch and poke" stance guys.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on April 23, 2012, 10:51:13 AM
They are known for treating you like crap, and the whole reputation for the entire make are for rich, stupid girls.

Does it mean anything to me? No. I just see the end product.

I would say the reputation is more that they're for yuppies who pretend to care about the environment, vote Democrat, wear black rimmed glasses, and do yoga.  That's at least how I saw it.  And I'm three out of four.  So the stereotype fits.  :lol:

(And my customer service has been excellent; though I am coming from Mercedes, where they treated customers with disdain for interrupting their day with their often broken down cars, so take that however you will)

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

I looked at a used Beetle Turbo (before I bought my Yaris) and they turned me away.

Raza

Oh man, the stretch and poke guys.  They make us all look bad.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27269.msg1708396#msg1708396 date=1335200440
I would say the reputation is more that they're for yuppies who pretend to care about the environment, vote Democrat, wear black rimmed glasses, and do yoga.  That's at least how I saw it.  And I'm three out of four.  So the stereotype fits.  :lol:

You do Yoga?

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on April 23, 2012, 11:31:54 AM
You do Yoga?

Is that so surprising?  How do you think I'm able to stay so fucking mellow and zen?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27269.msg1708438#msg1708438 date=1335204395
Is that so surprising?  How do you think I'm able to stay so fucking mellow and zen?

I just thought you drank a lot.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27269.msg1708376#msg1708376 date=1335199602
Dude.  Minpin drives a Scion.  Need I say more?
Yea I am not so sure you want to hear the stereotypes associated with VW drivers.

I had a coworker who had a GTI 337 for a while. The way he talked about the car you would think it was a Porsche. It was a fucking turbocharged MKIV for christ's sake, didn't even have VR6 pedigree.

In my experience the worst of VW owners tend to fall into two camps. Airhead rich daddy college girls, or dudes who feel they are too good to buy Japanese, but can't afford a Bimmer/Benzie. The worst. It is def strange to scoff at Scion for its image but own a VW. The VW scene is prob the worst of them all.