"Truly Overrated"

Started by 2o6, May 06, 2012, 10:02:38 PM

MrH

Quote from: SVT666 on May 07, 2012, 02:48:26 PM
Cadillac CTS

You proclaimed it one of the greats after you first test drove...just like every car you test drive :lol:

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on May 07, 2012, 03:07:22 PM
You proclaimed it one of the greats after you first test drove...just like every car you test drive :lol:

It's a really good car, and I like it a lot.  But when you drive it back to back with it's competitors like I did this weekend, it falls short by quite a bit.  The interior being it's biggest weakness.  It's cheap and the center console squeaks and groans in corners, and the seats offer next to no lateral support.  It's definitely a step down, and it did not deserve to be on C&D's 10 Best Cars list.

MX793

Quote from: SVT666 on May 07, 2012, 12:20:32 AM
I think two of today's most overrated vehicles are from South Korea.

Hyundai Genesis sedan
It's got a big bad V8, but so what.  It's boring.  It has no sporting intentions whatsoever.

If it's not supposed to be a sporting car, how does that make it over-rated?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Northlands

Quote from: MX793 on May 07, 2012, 03:27:16 PM

I guess maybe the problem is that it's competition has sporting attributes. Cars like the 5 series, Infiniti M, E Class , Caddy CTS.

I don't have my own overrated pick yet. This is a tough question for me.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

MX793

Quote from: Northlands on May 07, 2012, 03:41:48 PM
I guess maybe the problem is that it's competition has sporting attributes. Cars like the 5 series, Infiniti M, E Class , Caddy CTS.

I don't have my own overrated pick yet. This is a tough question for me.

But it isn't really aimed at those (other than in price).  Those are all midsize (well, the Infiniti may be full-size) while the Genesis is full-size.  The Genesis is really more of a poor-man's Lexus LS or S class.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

Quote from: MX793 on May 07, 2012, 03:45:47 PM
But it isn't really aimed at those (other than in price).  Those are all midsize (well, the Infiniti may be full-size) while the Genesis is full-size.  The Genesis is really more of a poor-man's Lexus LS or S class.
The Equus is aimed at those cars.

SVT666

Quote from: MX793 on May 07, 2012, 03:27:16 PM
It's overrated in enthusiast circles.  Anytime anyone says they want a big V8 powered sport sedan, people jump on the Genesis bandwagon.  I've had it happen to me on this site.  It's not a sport sedan in any way.

Payman

Quote from: SVT666 on May 07, 2012, 03:50:39 PM
It's overrated in enthusiast circles.  Anytime anyone says they want a big V8 powered sport sedan, people jump on the Genesis bandwagon.  I've had it happen to me on this site.  It's not a sport sedan in any way.

:huh:

2o6

Quote from: Colin on May 07, 2012, 01:18:59 PM
You can't honestly answer this question unless you have driven the car in question....... otherwise how can you possibly know? there are far too many armchair experts who either replay what they've read that someone else wrote, or applying their own prejudices to what other people write. 

I'm not vouching for the performance of the Turbo model (I have driven the 2.4L NA, and I honestly don't understand the performance complaints at all....) but from what I have read, I remember many people (including Hyundai, IIRC) saying gearing was among the reasons that the cars don't turn the same numbers as the competition.

I think the Sonata/Optima is a great car.

2o6

Of the same token, I can chalk one up to the Sonata and Optima being slightly overrated. After driving one (Optima), although it does everything well, there are other competitors that do things better. It's not that sporty, and not that quiet.

2o6

Especially in 2.5L guise.

CJ

Laconian

The Optima's looks are the best in the segment IMO. I don't think that they are overrated.

Sonata, a wee bit too fussy with the creases...
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CJ

I love the rear 3/4 look of my dad's car in person.  It all just works.

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on May 07, 2012, 08:43:34 PM
The Optima's looks are the best in the segment IMO. I don't think that they are overrated.

Sonata, a wee bit too fussy with the creases...

I love the Optima's styling.

I don't really like the Sonata, but I know people who think the opposite of me, so good for Hyundai.

Northlands

Quote from: CJ on May 07, 2012, 08:44:39 PM
I love the rear 3/4 look of my dad's car in person.  It all just works.

+1

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Raza

No offense intended, but I think the Sonata is hideous.  From the horrible grille to the stubby and abrupt rear end, including everything in between, it's just terrible.  Not a single thing attractive about it. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CJ

Quote from: Raza  on May 07, 2012, 08:52:58 PM
No offense intended, but I think the Sonata is hideous.  From the horrible grille to the stubby and abrupt rear end, including everything in between, it's just terrible.  Not a single thing attractive about it. 

None taken.

Eye of the Tiger

I am offended. That is like Accent's fat little brother.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Vinsanity

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 07, 2012, 09:39:00 PM
I am offended. That is like Accent's fat little brother.

More like Accent is Sonata's fat little brother?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Vinsanity on May 07, 2012, 09:45:00 PM
More like Accent is Sonata's fat little brother?

Accent is older than Sonoata :rolleyes:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Onslaught

God, I could list so many cars both current and past. But to me Overrated doesn't always = bad. It's just that I don't think a car is as great as so many other people think it is.
I could say the 911, MX-5 and Mustang are overrated. Not bad but overrated.

The only ones that come to mind that are both overrated and suck at the same time are the Mustangs and Camaro's of the 80's and 90's. Total junk cars. 

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

Rupert

I can second the 911. Actually any modern Porsche, save the Boxster and Cayman.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Colonel Cadillac

I've read in multiple articles that the steering in the 911 and Boxster is less inspiring and worse than before to save a fraction of a gallon in fuel mileage.

2 things:

1) Fuck Europe
2) Good job?

ChrisV

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 06, 2012, 10:24:41 PM
I could take a zero off that. $7500 will buy a whole pile of used fun, or practicality. Spending more is just showing off.

Now you're dissin on my cars. :rage:

I like cars. I don't like or dislike any car due to where it came from, how much it cost, or who else likes/dislikes it. Hype means nothing to me, and if I like a car that is "overhyped" so be it. So for me, there are no overhyped or overblown cars.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

SVT666

GoCougs

Hard to qualify "overrated." Cars that sell well but suck? Cars that militant enthusiasts hate? For me, it's simply cars I see on the road and think, Wow, there are better cars to buy than that:

1. CTS - expensive, last-in-class performance (the 2nd gen does look nice though).
2. Ford Super Duty and Dodge Ram (diesel variants) - Chevy Silverado HD has been the better truck for some time and otherwise isn't a ridiculous caricature.
3. C-class - simply a cheaper less capable MB; a poser for people who can't afford the E-class.

Raza

The E class is for poseurs who can't afford an S class, the S class is for poseurs who can't afford a Rolls Royce, Rolls Royces are for poseurs who can't afford to be flown in chauffeured helicopters, and chauffeured helicopters are for poseurs who can't afford their own teleportation devices.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

(That generation, specifically)

It's just as dull as all the rest of the other Midsized sedans. And if you don't really need AWD, I find the whole vehicle to be pointless.