"Truly Overrated"

Started by 2o6, May 06, 2012, 10:02:38 PM

2o6

What cars do you think are truly overrated, or are so overblown you don't even like them?

2o6

Journalists overlook the crap fuel economy, cheap interior and slow performance because it "drives well" and they continue to hand it the driving victory over cars like the Fiesta, 2 and Sonic.

I've driven one. It's not all that special. Doesn't feel all that much sharper than my car to drive.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

When examined in context, it's simply not a good car.

2o6

And my beef goes on.

There are other cars out there that are fast. Not only that, but the guys who get them don't seem to actually do anything to them, but turn up the boost and put them on the dynamometer.

Soup DeVille

Basically anything over about $75,000.

I just don't see that there's anything I want available on any car anywhere that I can't get for less than that.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 06, 2012, 10:18:32 PM

I just don't see that there's anything I want available on any car anywhere that I can't get for less than that.

I could take a zero off that. $7500 will buy a whole pile of used fun, or practicality. Spending more is just showing off.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 06, 2012, 10:18:32 PM

No way. Ferrari GT cars are basically the best thing ever, and you can't get that for cheap!

Though diminishing returns does sort of make them seem a bit overpriced, which I guess is like overrated..
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on May 06, 2012, 10:30:54 PM
No way. Ferrari GT cars are basically the best thing ever, and you can't get that for cheap!

Though diminishing returns does sort of make them seem a bit overpriced, which I guess is like overrated..

You can get a lot of very lightly used Ferraris for under $75K: as well as new Corvettes and all kinds of other crazy fast machines.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SVT666

I think two of today's most overrated vehicles are from South Korea.

Hyundai Genesis sedan
It's got a big bad V8, but so what.  It's boring.  It has no sporting intentions whatsoever.

Kia Optima

No argument on the looks.  It's a sexy thang that's for sure.  But the driving experience is severely lacking in certain aspects.  It's not nearly the sporting machine Kia's ads would have you believe or that the styling would suggest.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Lebowski

Byteme

Quote from: 2o6 on May 06, 2012, 10:02:38 PM
What cars do you think are truly overrated, or are so overblown you don't even like them?

The Toyota line, including big brother Lexus.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on May 06, 2012, 10:10:53 PM

Journalists overlook the crap fuel economy, cheap interior and slow performance because it "drives well" and they continue to hand it the driving victory over cars like the Fiesta, 2 and Sonic.

I've driven one. It's not all that special. Doesn't feel all that much sharper than my car to drive.

It's not great because it drives well. It's great because it's so incredibly useful.

Quote from: SVT666 on May 07, 2012, 12:20:32 AM

Hyundai Genesis sedan
It's got a big bad V8, but so what.  It's boring.  It has no sporting intentions whatsoever.

Kia Optima

No argument on the looks.  It's a sexy thang that's for sure.  But the driving experience is severely lacking in certain aspects.  It's not nearly the sporting machine Kia's ads would have you believe or that the styling would suggest.

I don't think not being sporty counts as automatically being overrated. It's not like these cars get great reviews for being sports sedans.

Raza

Hyundai Sonata.  I don't get it.  Lots of horsepower, but not that fast, and ugly as all hell. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on May 07, 2012, 07:17:32 AM
Hyundai Sonata.  I don't get it.  Lots of horsepower, but not that fast, and ugly as all hell. 
Lots? IDK about that. I agree though that Hyundai/Kia need help with their dynamics + details. The Elantra/Sonata are competent and well styled, but they need the exciting driving experience to really seal the deal.

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 07, 2012, 08:01:30 AM
Lots? IDK about that. I agree though that Hyundai/Kia need help with their dynamics + details. The Elantra/Sonata are competent and well styled, but they need the exciting driving experience to really seal the deal.

274 horsepower is a lot.  It's especially a lot when Motor Trend gets it to 60 in 7 seconds, lagging far behind cars with a lot less power. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Payman

Quote from: SVT666 on May 07, 2012, 12:20:32 AM

Hyundai Genesis sedan

Kia Optima

If anything, these cars are underrated because of their badges.

Laconian

All recent Saabs except maybe the Viggen.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Quote from: Rockraven on May 07, 2012, 10:05:50 AM
If anything, these cars are underrated because of their badges.
+1
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

68_427

My list is seriously too long to list.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27377.msg1715770#msg1715770 date=1336399782
274 horsepower is a lot.  It's especially a lot when Motor Trend gets it to 60 in 7 seconds, lagging far behind cars with a lot less power. 

IIRC, the gearing is the reason.

Colin

You can't honestly answer this question unless you have driven the car in question....... otherwise how can you possibly know? there are far too many armchair experts who either replay what they've read that someone else wrote, or applying their own prejudices to what other people write. 

ifcar

More to the point, the MT number is the outlier for the Sonata's performance. Even Consumer Reports, whose numbers are almost always among the slowest, got 6.6 seconds with both its Sonata and Optima.

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on May 07, 2012, 01:38:21 PM
More to the point, the MT number is the outlier for the Sonata's performance. Even Consumer Reports, whose numbers are almost always among the slowest, got 6.6 seconds with both its Sonata and Optima.

Still kind of slow for that much power and weight.  And for full disclosure, I checked two comparison tests at Car and Driver, and neither listed the 0-60 time online (only said it relative to the others in the test).  Motor Trend was just the first I could find.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MrH

Quote from: Colin on May 07, 2012, 01:18:59 PM
You can't honestly answer this question unless you have driven the car in question....... otherwise how can you possibly know? there are far too many armchair experts who either replay what they've read that someone else wrote, or applying their own prejudices to what other people write. 

:clap:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quote from: Colin on May 07, 2012, 01:18:59 PM

I suppose that's true.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on May 07, 2012, 10:11:46 AM
All recent Saabs except maybe the Viggen.

The Viggen is severely underrated. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Payman

Drove a Camaro SS, very overrated. Drove a Challenger R/T, very underrated.

SVT666