My Paint Project From Hell

Started by Rupert, May 14, 2012, 12:48:56 AM

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Secret Chimp on May 22, 2012, 11:04:59 AM
I'm pretty sure you need a real deal catalyst/hardener nasty-type car paint if you want it to adhere and hold up to weather and washing over time.

+1

It's not even that much more expensive.

sportyaccordy

O yea you need real car paint. I don't know the details, just that folks call it the "$50 roller paint job" and that they come out great. If you can deal with the prep + finish work that's def an idea.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 23, 2012, 06:53:27 AM
O yea you need real car paint. I don't know the details, just that folks call it the "$50 roller paint job" and that they come out great. If you can deal with the prep + finish work that's def an idea.

Those paint jobs use rustoleum or tractor paint and they look like shit. They will always be gummy/soft and never shine like real car paint applied properly.

Its better to have maaco shoot it.

Byteme

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 22, 2012, 08:05:39 PM
+1

It's not even that much more expensive.

The last auto paint I bought, about 6 years ago, was well over $200 for a quart of colorcoat and clearcoat and reducer and hardner for each.

A can of Rustoleum is about $15.

See:  http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?40341-My-quot-rustoleum-50-roll-on-paint-job-quot  for an example of a rustoleum paint job. 

Byteme

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 23, 2012, 07:29:34 AM
Those paint jobs use rustoleum or tractor paint and they look like shit. They will always be gummy/soft and never shine like real car paint applied properly.

Its better to have maaco shoot it.

Why would it be gummy/soft?  Rustoleum isn't that way when used on anything else.

Rupert

Yeah, pretty sure I've addressed the repaint-whole-car option a couple times...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

:lol:

I saw a guy walking his sheep through a town yesterday. It was bleating happily. Awesome.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on May 24, 2012, 11:25:05 PM
:lol:

I saw a guy walking his sheep through a town yesterday. It was bleating happily. Awesome.

So... the stories are true then?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

280Z Turbo

Quote from: MiataJohn on May 23, 2012, 09:51:26 AM
Why would it be gummy/soft?  Rustoleum isn't that way when used on anything else.

Yes it is. All cheap enamel paint is.

Rupert

Got the paint on. Looks OK for not having clear on the panel.

Rupert

Got the clear on.

It's a rough surface, so I need to make it not rough. Buffing compound? Wet sanding?

Rupert

Psh, never mind. I had to re-do the color coat.

I dunno, the paint shop is looking pretty good.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rupert on June 03, 2012, 05:29:03 PM
I dunno, the paint shop is looking pretty good.

LOL    Sorry it's such a hassle. My thread would be 3x longer trying to fix the paint on subie though.... 

(Front bumper cover has been scratched a few times, paint is starting to flake off.)
Will

Rupert

Yeah...

I put clear on (again) today, and it looks better. I think it needs one more good wet coat, and then I can move on to the side trim thing. That should be a lot easier.

Also got the rest of the gaskets on the door handles/mirrors replaced. That's cool.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Rupert

'Cause it looks like shit!

I'll post one when it's done. I'm bad at remembering to take photos. :P

Rupert

Alrighty, it's done, and it doesn't completely suck! I'd call it a solid 10 foot job, at least in the right light. I bet most people won't be able to find the spot without getting up really close. The color turned out to be pretty good.

I definitely learned a lot about painting and stuff, particularly that it's gonna look a lot worse before it gets better. It would have been easier with a non-metallic color. I should have dove in two-feet first and just removed a bunch more paint than I did.

Secret Chimp

Damn, that looks good. Was it on the outer edge/corner of the top of the rear quarter? I'm having trouble seeing it at all in the pics.

Rupert

Green was the original damaged area, orange is what ended up getting painted, roughly:

Thanks! I think it great at 10 ft in the sun. We'll see what it's like under street lights and stuff.

Rupert

Secret Chimp

Oh, now I can tell... :P

How much polishing work have you done on it? That might blend it in more...

Rupert

Well, it's got a clear coat on it, and it's a metallic paint, which apparently shouldn't be polished. Like I said, it would have been a lot easier with non-metallic paint.

I'm at least happy with it for a while, before I go crazy and paint the whole car.

CJ

I've polished many metallic cars, but not with fresh paint. I feel like it helps the metallic flake really pop.

Rupert

Which is fine if it's the whole car and not just one panel.

CJ

Quote from: Rupert on June 27, 2012, 11:51:36 AM
Which is fine if it's the whole car and not just one panel.

So...polish the whole car?

Rupert

The rest of the was already under clear coat.

CJ

Quote from: Rupert on June 27, 2012, 07:39:26 PM
The rest of the was already under clear coat.

Do it anyway to make it look better and get rid of the swirls?