My Paint Project From Hell

Started by Rupert, May 14, 2012, 12:48:56 AM

Rupert

When I got the 944, there were a number of small spots of clear coat that were starting to blister, most of them small. I flaked off the loose stuff and just covered them all with new clear. The one large spot on the passenger rear fender turned out looking like ass, of course, but at least it wasn't going to get bigger, right?

Well, enter my sander. I had intended to simply sand down and repaint a very small area, and then clear coat the whole panel. Within moments, I knew that was a fantasy. Down to the original primer, and even the metal in some places, I realized this was not going as planned, so I went out for some primer. Primed, sanded, primed sanded, still a depression where the old paint was worn away. So I went out for some putty. Putty, sanded, primer, sanded, oh fuck now the clear is coming off in a new spot. Primer, sanded, putty, sanded, primer, waiting for it dry. I noticed more blistering on the gas cap. Flake it off, sanded, oh fuck now it's a different color. And a new blister spot next to the gas cap, flake off way too much, fuck.

Whenever I go to work on this project, I leave it looking worse than it already did. :rage: The condition of the original paint is pretty poor, with the blistering clear coat and sun damaged paint in some places. I think I am determined to finish it myself. When (if) I ever get everything even and smooth, I'll try to just spray over the actual damaged area, and then clear the whole panel as originally planned. I'm not painting the whole car (yet).

Lesson: Don't do dumb shit with paint. :facepalm:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

mzziaz

Paint the whole car - or in your case - have your whole car painted.
Cuore Sportivo

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

shp4man

I did a similar thing to my pickup. It ended up costing almost $200 bucks- I did the roof and most of the hood. It looks better than the previous cracked out mess, but it's not as good as factory paint. A Porsche deserves better than an old pickup, though. :huh:

Byteme

Quote from: HotRodPilot on May 14, 2012, 08:42:37 AM
Maaco

I had Maaco do my 69 Fiat Spider.  I did the body prep, sanding, trim removal, etc.  The finished product came out very good.  The name on the sign out front is not nearly as important as the skills of the people in the building.

hotrodalex

Quote from: MiataJohn on May 15, 2012, 07:26:25 AM
I had Maaco do my 69 Fiat Spider.  I did the body prep, sanding, trim removal, etc.  The finished product came out very good.  The name on the sign out front is not nearly as important as the skills of the people in the building.

That's the important part. Maaco can do a decent job of painting, they just don't do much prep work.

r0tor

Clearcoat did the same thing on my friends old 944.. ugh
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Rupert

Quote from: mzziaz on May 14, 2012, 07:55:28 AM
Paint the whole car - or in your case - have your whole car painted.

$$$ and/or timetimetime to do it right. Give it a few years.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: r0tor on May 15, 2012, 06:43:16 PM
Clearcoat did the same thing on my friends old 944.. ugh

Yeah, at least I'm doing something about it. I see a lot of 944s with totally hopeless clear coat and paint.

Rupert

Quote from: shp4man on May 14, 2012, 11:51:34 AM
I did a similar thing to my pickup. It ended up costing almost $200 bucks- I did the roof and most of the hood. It looks better than the previous cracked out mess, but it's not as good as factory paint. A Porsche deserves better than an old pickup, though. :huh:

Yeah, well... :lol:

mzziaz

Quote from: Rupert on May 15, 2012, 08:41:34 PM
$$$ and/or timetimetime to do it right. Give it a few years.

I'll say it again. You're too poor to own a Porsche.

:lol:
Cuore Sportivo

Rupert

Bah, who isn't?

I'll say one thing, though. If you aren't too poor when you buy it, you will be soon! :lol:

Speed_Racer

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 15, 2012, 02:27:22 PM
That's the important part. Maaco can do a decent job of painting, they just don't do much prep work.

I hear that's key - have your car completely prepped before hand: sanded, low spots filled, trim pieces off, etc. Then it can turn out really nice for the cost.

Byteme

Quote from: Speed_Racer on May 16, 2012, 08:28:03 PM
I hear that's key - have your car completely prepped before hand: sanded, low spots filled, trim pieces off, etc. Then it can turn out really nice for the cost.
When I took the Fiat in the lights were all off, the windscreen and windscreen frame were off, all chrome trip was off, even door handles and locks. All they had to do was mask and spray.  They did do a final fine sand and go over the car with wax and silicone remover though.

Rupert

That is the cheaper way to do it right, I hear, but it takes so much time, and I want to drive the thing. I would maybe be into it in a couple of years as a winter project.

Byteme

Quote from: Rupert on May 17, 2012, 09:22:11 PM
That is the cheaper way to do it right, I hear, but it takes so much time, and I want to drive the thing. I would maybe be into it in a couple of years as a winter project.

The cost to me was the same.  The outcome was superior though.  Removing all that stuff took maybe 4-6 hours, reinstallation the same amount of time.

Rupert

Rupert

Quote from: MiataJohn on May 18, 2012, 06:09:28 AM

The cost to me was the same.  The outcome was superior though.  Removing all that stuff took maybe 4-6 hours, reinstallation the same amount of time.

Well, if I'm going to bother repainting the whole car, I'm gonna fix a bunch of dings and stuff, too. I would probably really want to take it down to metal to get rid of all the crappy paint and clear that's on there now.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rupert on May 18, 2012, 07:47:20 PM
Don't even joke about that.

Wasn't joking, I think it could look good. Haven't looked at their color selection though.
Will

Rupert

No fucking way am I putting that shit all over my car. Not to mention the non-stock color.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 19, 2012, 10:08:45 AM
Wasn't joking, I think it could look good. Haven't looked at their color selection though.
It does look pretty good, and they have tons of different colors on dipyourcar.com

However, I don't think I'd want to spray it all over my car either and I'm filing a paypal dispute with DYC to get my money back.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Rupert

Yeah, if there was trim or something... Not the whole car.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: thecarnut on May 19, 2012, 03:02:37 PM
and I'm filing a paypal dispute with DYC to get my money back.

What happened there??
Will

Cookie Monster

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 19, 2012, 05:36:37 PM
What happened there??

Been close to 3 weeks since I paid for the stuff, and haven't gotten any shipment notice since then. I even emailed twice asking about where the paint was, and got no response, which is kinda dumb considering when I emailed them asking what I should buy before placing an order, they got back to me in less than 12 hours. I'm tired of waiting and I'll end up moving out of my house in the next few weeks (plus finals are coming up). From looking online, it seemed that other people were getting their stuff within a week or two, so I ordered it thinking I'd have time to actually spray the wheels but it looks unlikely at this point.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Rupert

Threaten to file a complaint with their local BBB, then do it after another day of no response. You might call them, too. I would just ask for your money back.

sportyaccordy

I have heard people having a lot of success with foam roller paint jobs. If you have the time to do the prep they come out looking phenomenal. Prep is the key.

Byteme

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 22, 2012, 09:34:11 AM
I have heard people having a lot of success with foam roller paint jobs. If you have the time to do the prep they come out looking phenomenal. Prep is the key.

It's all the post roller sanding that makes it look good. 

Secret Chimp

I'm pretty sure you need a real deal catalyst/hardener nasty-type car paint if you want it to adhere and hold up to weather and washing over time.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.