Holden Efijy Concept

Started by GMPenguin, October 19, 2005, 04:49:11 PM

GMPenguin

A wild 21st Century hot rod reincarnating Australia?s most famous car, the FJ Holden, was unveiled at the 2005 Australian International Motor Show in Sydney. Efijy is a radical pillarless custom coupe boasting V8 Supercar power under the bonnet, Chevrolet Corvette underbody and state-of-the-art automotive technology throughout.

The ?Soprano Purple? paintwork highlights its curvaceous 201.3-inch body, reinterpreting the classic design cues of the iconic 1953 FJ Holden. It delivers retro, mumbo and gizmos in one glorious package.

Design Philosophies

Holden Chief Designer and Efijy project leader Richard Ferlazzo, who sketched the first Efijy designs in 1989 and is a long-time custom car fanatic, said the car existed purely for automotive entertainment. ?Invariably, people smile when they see it for the first time. Efijy is our accolade to the talented designers who cut loose with some fantastically flamboyant styling in the post-war 1940s and 1950s,? Ferlazzo said. ?Ask the question, ?what would these people have created using all the skill sets and technology we have now?, and Efijy might be the all-Australian answer to that question."

Exterior and Interior Highlights

The design team has cleverly incorporated FJ design cues into Efijy?s radical custom coupe body, acknowledging the most important aspects of the iconic 1953 release. The famously familiar FJ grille looms larger than life, fronting a low, wide and handsome body extravagantly elongated and brimming with retro chic style.

The Corvette rolling chassis was lengthened to accommodate the Efijy body, which is more than 27.3 inches longer than the FJ by which it was inspired.

The Soprano Purple paint has multiple layers of translucent pigmented topcoats which creates the rich, deep effect.

All brightwork on the vehicle is hand-made billet aluminum to maximize its authentic look, nowhere more evident than the stunning grill salute to FJ?s distinctive front. A proximity sensor opens the door automatically as the driver approaches, revealing deep cream leather twin tombstone-shaped seats equipped with integral belts.

The drop-down, touch control LCD screen and an instrument cluster glowing with the number ?53?? another FJ gesture ? are set in the body-colored metal dash and pulsate with a radiogram retro orange glow.

There are pearlescent, Bakelite-look push button controls for the electronic automatic transmission and the hard curved floor is finished in figured maple timber veneer with aluminum inserts.

Efijy?s prowling appearance can be accentuated by the air-adjustable suspension. At the touch an LCD screen, At a touch of the LCD screen, Efijy can hunker down to just 1 inch from the ground or rise to a more practical drive height.

Like any great showcar, Efijy is stocked with a cutting edge entertainment system featuring hard drive audio and video storage driven through a major amplifier and speaker setup.

The Engine and Other Mechanical Highlights

The 6.0-litre LS2 V8 engine has been supercharged and modified by Ron Harrop, well known throughout the Australian automotive and motorsport industry and an ex-FJ Holden racer.

Driven by a Roots-type supercharger, the engine delivers peak power of 645 horsepower at 6,400rpm and peak torque of 560 foot-pound at 4,200rpm. Such performance figures are equal to the stated output from 2005 Series V8 Supercars, and almost 11 times greater than the 60 horsepower offered in the 1953 FJ Holden.

Efijy?s engine is mated to a rear-mounted four-speed automatic transmission featuring push button electronic control. Limited slip differential has been fitted for obvious reasons.

The custom designed exhaust is a stainless steel 2.5-inch dual system with customized compact headers and billet aluminum exhaust tips.

The power output is transferred to massive 22-inch by 10-inch billet aluminum wheels with fluting which echoes the FJ?s more modest original 15-inch by 4-inch wheels. Reflecting its street sled heritage, the front wheels are 20-inch by 9-inch.

Obviously not intended for production, Efijy has been a passionate side project for some Holden Design team members otherwise dedicated to creating the all-new 2006 Commodore.

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/holden_efijy.asp

BMWDave

Its very old school, I like the design.  How much will it weigh?

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

GMPenguin

QuoteIts very old school, I like the design.  How much will it weigh?
It says not available, maybe someone more knowledgable than I can give you an estimate, though. ^_^

Secret Chimp

Man, I can't decide between this and that Buick Blackhawk thing from a few years ago.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Raghavan

Catman

Raghavan

Is that the gear select lever on the right?

Fire It Up

That's like two tons of solid STYLE.  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Catman

QuoteThat's like two tons of solid STYLE.
:rockon:  

Raghavan

:rolleyes:  

GMPenguin

GMPenguin

:praise:  

Raghavan

NO SMILIE WHORING! :angry:  

GMPenguin

NO SMILIE WHORING! :angry:

I personally think it's very good looking, and a very nice and interesting interior as well.  The idea is a bit extreme and I wouldn't think for a second of actual production, although I'm sure it would sell pretty well as far as this type of vehicle goes.

Catman

No one can deny the extraordinary craftsmanship involved in building that piece.  Beautiful work.

Secret Chimp

QuoteIs that the gear select lever on the right?
That's the brake pedal.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Raza

It looks like a Buick from the 1940s.  Man, is there no creativity left anywhere?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

They spelled "effigy" wrong.  <_<  

Raghavan

QuoteIs that the gear select lever on the right?
That's the brake pedal.
Ok, nevermind then. There's no depth of field in that picture.

Raghavan

QuoteThey spelled "effigy" wrong.  <_<
I think they spelled it like that on purpose. ;)  

giant_mtb

QuoteThey spelled "effigy" wrong.  <_<
Why would I want to buy a car from a company who can't even spell correctly?

Raghavan

QuoteThey spelled "effigy" wrong.? <_<
Because Efijy looks cooler, and besides, it's a friggin NAME. It doesn't have to be spelled correctly. :rolleyes:  

giant_mtb

Because Efijy looks cooler, and besides, it's a friggin NAME. It doesn't have to be spelled correctly. :rolleyes:
Why would the name of a car that probably cost millions to create not have the name spelled correctly?  And naming it effigy is quite weird...

SaltyDog

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Raghavan

Why would the name of a car that probably cost millions to create not have the name spelled correctly?  And naming it effigy is quite weird...
Because it's the name of a car. It's based on the word 'effigy', but they changed it to 'efijy' because it probably looks cooler. See, it's not supposed to be spelled like the word 'efigy' because it's the NAME of a car. ;)

giant_mtb

Because it's the name of a car. It's based on the word 'effigy', but they changed it to 'efijy' because it probably looks cooler. See, it's not supposed to be spelled like the word 'efigy' because it's the NAME of a car. ;)
Maybe you'd understand what I'm trying to say if you knew what the word effigy means...  ;)

ef?fi?gy
n. pl. ef?fi?gies

A crude figure or dummy representing a hated person or group.

Raghavan

Maybe you'd understand what I'm trying to say if you knew what the word effigy means...  ;)

ef?fi?gy
n. pl. ef?fi?gies

A crude figure or dummy representing a hated person or group.
that's an even better reason of why not to spell the name right. :lol:  

giant_mtb

And it's also the reason why I'm confused on why someone would even give a car that name, even if they do spell it differently.

Raghavan

QuoteAnd it's also the reason why I'm confused on why someone would even give a car that name, even if they do spell it differently.
Well, the car does look a bit crude... :D  

giant_mtb

QuoteAnd it's also the reason why I'm confused on why someone would even give a car that name, even if they do spell it differently.
Well, the car does look a bit crude... :D
:P  :D