My friend passed on the 968

Started by BMWDave, October 20, 2005, 04:16:32 PM

BMWDave

Hey Everyone,

I just got back from TKX Performance (the Huntington branch of RPM Racing).  They did a full check on the Porsche 968 that my friend was looking at.

http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=1...g=en&cardist=40

I had called Russel Whalers previous to the PPI and he told me that the car was maintained mechanically by this owner very well.  In 2002, he had brought it in for a full scheduled maintenance, including timing belts, the works.  I had therefore assumed that the PPI would come out with few, if any problems.

What Richard discovered blew my mind.  The car was in a MAJOR accident.  

Here is the full PPI:

?   Car has been smoked in heavily.  (My friend cannot tolerate this BTW)
?   The drivers out seat bolster was heavily worn.
?   Roof cracks extend into sunroof channel
?   Sunroof motor/transmission damaged
?   Front Valance Insert Shattered
?   Sunroof Bubbles up, also root antenna
?   All rims are damaged
?   Right front fender misaligned and damaged
?   Left front inner tie rod is bent
?   Right right suspension shows heavy indication of being damaged and sloppily repaired
?   Front main seal, rear main seal, and pan gasket are all leaking
?   Transmission output shaft seals are sweating

The Compression was as follow:
1)   180
2)   190
3)   185
4)   185

Right when I introduced myself to Richard he told me this isn?t the car to buy.  He stopped the PPI short because he saw there was so much damage, it wasn?t even worth going the full two hours (which is why he only charged me 150 instead of 210 :) )

Richard said that if the car was 3500 he would buy it, but at 12,900, its way too expensive for a very damaged 968.  He did say that the engine has been regularly maintained though.
I got the feeling when I first talked to this guy that he didn?t know much about 968s.  I think he was duped when he bought the car in 2002, and didn?t know the car was in a serious accident.  Richard told me to explain to him that my friend cannot buy the car because it?s a smokers car, and my friend is an asthmatic.  

That?s my story, let me know what you guys think.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Fire It Up

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

BMWDave

Quote:(
Better I found this out now, than after he had bought the car. :)  I'll keep looking, hopefully I'll find another 968, if not, he'll get a 944 :)

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

I think it's a bummer!   :(  :angry:  Good thing you did this before he bought it though...that would have been a mess.  :o  :ph34r:  :P  

Fire It Up

Quote:(
Better I found this out now, than after he had bought the car. :)  I'll keep looking, hopefully I'll find another 968, if not, he'll get a 944 :)
Well its both good and bad.  

BMWDave

Fire it Up, remember you asked me a while back for exotics in NYC backgrounds?  Well, I found a Ferrari 360 today just chilling on the street, I have it in HI Res if you want :)

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

Man, this is a time when the PPI was actually worht it. Too bad for the current owner. better luck next time dude.

Fire It Up

QuoteFire it Up, remember you asked me a while back for exotics in NYC backgrounds?  Well, I found a Ferrari 360 today just chilling on the street, I have it in HI Res if you want :)
Yes please.  :o  :lol:  

BMWDave

QuoteFire it Up, remember you asked me a while back for exotics in NYC backgrounds?  Well, I found a Ferrari 360 today just chilling on the street, I have it in HI Res if you want :)
Yes please.  :o  :lol:
Here it is :)

http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/5134/tk...tures0416ga.jpg

I have some of a GT3 as well, if you want those :)  I also have hi res of all the pictures in the other thread, pm me if you want hi res of those :)

2007 Honda S2000

SaltyDog

Good thing you got it checked!  

There are tons of Porshes out there.  Only I wouldn't limit myself to ones that are priced lower.  Sometimes the best deal imo is paying full price for a car that's in good shape.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

BMWDave

QuoteGood thing you got it checked!  

There are tons of Porshes out there.  Only I wouldn't limit myself to ones that are priced lower.  Sometimes the best deal imo is paying full price for a car that's in good shape.
Of course, the real expensive ones are the ones which are usually maintained by enthusiasts, who dont want to let the car go, hence the high price.  But sometimes, just sometimes, theres a good deal for a low price.

2007 Honda S2000

SaltyDog

QuoteGood thing you got it checked! 

There are tons of Porshes out there.  Only I wouldn't limit myself to ones that are priced lower.  Sometimes the best deal imo is paying full price for a car that's in good shape.
Of course, the real expensive ones are the ones which are usually maintained by enthusiasts, who dont want to let the car go, hence the high price.  But sometimes, just sometimes, theres a good deal for a low price.
Not too often.  You get what you pay for imo.  If you want a Porsche you got to pay up.  That's why it's a Porsche.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

BMWDave

QuoteGood thing you got it checked!?

There are tons of Porshes out there.? Only I wouldn't limit myself to ones that are priced lower.? Sometimes the best deal imo is paying full price for a car that's in good shape.
Not too often.  You get what you pay for imo.  If you want a Porsche you got to pay up.  That's why it's a Porsche.
Yup, but I am sure there is always some person who prices below, simply because he is uninformed.  

I dont think the guy who owns this 968  is knowledgeable about Porsches.  I think he was duped when he bought the car in 2002.  If he knew about the accident, why would he consent so readily to a PPI?  So lets just assume for a moment that if the car was perfectly fine, this guy would be selling a very good car for a below average price.

Thats how you can get the occasional (but rare) good deal on a Porsche.

2007 Honda S2000

SaltyDog

There are tons of Porshes out there.? Only I wouldn't limit myself to ones that are priced lower.? Sometimes the best deal imo is paying full price for a car that's in good shape.
Yup, but I am sure there is always some person who prices below, simply because he is uninformed.  

I dont think the guy who owns this 968  is knowledgeable about Porsches.  I think he was duped when he bought the car in 2002.  If he knew about the accident, why would he consent so readily to a PPI?  So lets just assume for a moment that if the car was perfectly fine, this guy would be selling a very good car for a below average price.

Sure, the occasional good deal will come by, but I would think most Porsche owners are fairly knowledgeable on their car.  Did you get to drive it btw?

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

BMWDave

Sure, the occasional good deal will come by, but I would think most Porsche owners are fairly knowledgeable on their car.  Did you get to drive it btw?
No, my friend and I were running very late, so we told the guy that he should just go, and we'd call him when we got to TKX.  Of course, the car was a smokers car (my friend cant stand that) and had so many troubles, so I didnt bother to summon the guy back.  I called him up, and said that my friend is asthmatic and cannot have a car that was smoked in, and thank you very much for your time, good luck with selling the car.

2007 Honda S2000

SaltyDog

Well good luck on finding the right one.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

BMWDave

QuoteWell good luck on finding the right one.

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

Well, it's bad that it didn't work out, but it's good that you found out without draining several thousand dollars, and it's good that he's looking into a 944 (turbo, I hope.  When I get mine, we can hang), which I like better than 968s anyway.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

QuoteWell, it's bad that it didn't work out, but it's good that you found out without draining several thousand dollars, and it's good that he's looking into a 944 (turbo, I hope.  When I get mine, we can hang), which I like better than 968s anyway.
I'm also going to seriously look into getting a 944tt perhaps in a little over a year.  I can make th 6-9K needed for a 944tt in a little under 2 years, and then you and I can 'hang'.

Before you get your Porsche, and during ownership, become a member to rennlist.
Its an amazing website, with the largest online community, composed all of Porsche fans.  When it comes close to getting my 944, I'm going to subscribe for 32 dollars for 2 years, and then you get invited to track events, certain 'garage' sales (like 25 dollars for a porsche wheel-used parts).  Its pretty cool.

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

CARFAX estimates that this 1994 PORSCHE 968 (WP0AA2961RS820609) had 1 owner(s). CARFAX analyzed this vehicle's title history and other supporting events to identify potential ownership transfers. In compliance with the U.S. privacy laws, CARFAX does not collect or report owner names or addresses.
Estimated Owners: Date: Location:
1st owner 04/17/1995 New York
CARFAX AdvisorTM
The cost of ownership varies by vehicle. Go to Edmunds.com to check the recommended service schedule and estimated costs for this vehicle.

Types of Owners:
This 1994 PORSCHE 968 (WP0AA2961RS820609) was checked for 8 types of registrations.
Personal Use Registration Reported No Fleet Registration Reported
No Lease Registration Reported No Commercial Registration Reported
No Rental Registration Reported No Non-Profit Registration Reported
No Taxi Registration Reported No Built to Non U.S. Standards Record Reported
Do you have information about how this vehicle was used or driven? Tell us what you know.
Register FREE Guarantee | CARFAX Help Center
Heading Graphic
This 1994 PORSCHE 968 (WP0AA2961RS820609) has no recalls that still require repair.
Date: Source: Description:
10/21/2005 Porsche Cars North America No recalls open for repair
Heading Graphic
For your convenience, CARFAX has estimated the remaining original manufacturer warranty coverage based on information reported to us on this 1994 PORSCHE 968 (WP0AA2961RS820609). Please confirm remaining factory warranty and extended warranty options with your dealer. Interested in an extended warranty?
Estimated start date of warranty: 03/15/1995
Last reading reported on 06/29/2004: 72,172 miles Recalculate with current mileage
Today's Date: October 21, 2005
Type of Coverage: Original Warranty: Estimated Remaining Coverage:
Basic 24 months or unlimited mileage Coverage expired
Drivetrain 24 months or unlimited mileage Coverage expired
Emissions 60 months or 50,000 miles Coverage expired
Corrosion 120 months or unlimited mileage Coverage expired
Transferable Transferable at no cost. Same
Roadside Assistance No data reported to CARFAX
Safety Belt & Inflatable Restraint No data reported to CARFAX
Specific Components No data reported to CARFAX
Notes: Manufacturer covers emissions components under basic warranty. Emissions coverage may vary by state. Refer to owners manual for specific details. Transferable: not cost, unlimited owners covered.

CARFAX Warranty Check provides an estimate of this vehicle's remaining warranty coverage. It does not take into account some vehicle history events. For example, major accidents resulting in Salvage or Junk titles that may void the original manufacturer warranty or ownership transfers that may decrease warranty coverage. This warranty information is only valid for vehicles manufactured for sale in the US. Complete warranty coverage information is available for this vehicle at the PORSCHE web site.

Heading Graphic
CARFAX searched more than 3 billion records from over 7,600 sources and found 26 record(s) for this 1994 PORSCHE 968 (WP0AA2961RS820609).
Date:
Mileage Reading:
Source:
General Comments:
03/15/1995 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Patchogue, NY
Registered as
personal vehicle
04/17/1995 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Rosedale, NY
Title issued or updated
First owner reported
09/12/1995 8,229 Inspection Co.
New York
Vehicle Inspected
Anti-theft device present
at the time of inspection
05/19/1996 New York
Police Report
Case #6-347013
Accident Reported
Vehicle involved in crash
with another motor vehicle

09/30/1996 17,138 Inspection Co.
New York
Vehicle Inspected
03/13/1998 33,189 New York
Inspection Station
New York City Area
Passed safety inspection
Passed emissions inspection
04/01/1998 33,393 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
Transmission serviced
Suspension system serviced
Lubed oil and filter changed
09/29/1998 38,754 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
01/07/1999 41,387 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
05/24/1999 44,214 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
12/13/1999 49,357 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
Cooling system serviced
02/14/2000 50,495 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
03/30/2000 51,944 New York
Inspection Station
New York City Area
Passed safety inspection
04/11/2000 52,154 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
Engine serviced
12/15/2000 58,515 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
04/03/2001 61,010 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
State inspection completed
04/03/2001 61,012 New York
Inspection Station
New York City Area
Passed safety inspection
06/13/2001 62,151 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
02/22/2002 66,200 New York
Inspection Station
New York City Area
Passed safety inspection
04/19/2002 New York
Police Report
Case #30518076
Accident Reported
Vehicle involved in crash
with a guide rail

05/28/2003 71,350 New York
Inspection Station
Passed safety inspection
02/07/2004 71,831 Inspection Co.
New York
Vehicle Inspected
02/12/2004 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Islip, NY
Title issued or updated
Registration issued or renewed
Registered as
personal vehicle
Loan or lien reported
Passed safety inspection
04/02/2004 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Islip, NY
Registration issued or renewed
Correction to record
Registered as
personal vehicle
Passed safety inspection
06/29/2004 72,172 New York
Inspection Station
Passed safety inspection
10/21/2005 Porsche Cars North America No recalls open for repair
Tell us what you know about this vehicle
Detailed Vehicle History Definitions:
* Accident
CARFAX receives information on accidents in most states when an official police report is filed. The level of detail in the accident record varies by state depending on the state's accident report requirements. CARFAX recommends you obtain a vehicle inspection from your dealer or an independent mechanic for any car involved in an accident.
* First Owner
When the first owner(s) obtains a title from a Department of Motor Vehicles as proof of ownership.
* Personal Use
Vehicle was registered by the owner for private or personal use.

The check shows that it was involved in a crash with another motor vehicle in 96, and then crashed into a guide rail in 2002.

Very interesting to know, and Richard said the car was repaired very badly.

Interesting, Carfax reports one owner, but this guy told me he bought the car in 2002....

And if he did buy it in 2002, he would probably know about the second crash with the guide rail (that was in April 2002).

2007 Honda S2000

SJ_GTI

You should have run the carfax before you paid someone 150 bucks to check it out.  :P  

BMWDave

QuoteYou should have run the carfax before you paid someone 150 bucks to check it out.  :P
But Carfax still reported the car like this:

Total Loss Check:

GOOD NEWS! No severe damage events were ever reported by a DMV for this 1994 PORSCHE 968 (WP0AA2961RS820609). If you find that any of the following severe problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back. You must register to activate this free guarantee!

So even though the car was in 2 accidents, Carfax still said that no major damage was done. So if I was remaining only on the Carfax, I would not know how well the "slight" damage was repaired, or anything like that.

You always have to do a PPI, carfax or not, IMO.  :)

2007 Honda S2000

SJ_GTI

QuoteYou always have to do a PPI, carfax or not, IMO.  :)
I agree, but as a general rule I would never buy a car that had even been in a slight accident.

Raza

Accidents are bad.  I wouldn't buy a car that's been in one, let alone two, either.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Catman

I've always loved the 968's.  I would be patient as I'm sure you'll find a nice one.  Many Porsche owners take pretty good care of their cars.

Catman

How about this one?  I'd love to have this car, very nice with low mileage! :rockon: Some day. :(

Ebay

280Z Turbo

I'd love to drive a Porsche someday...I'd hate to own one. :o ;)

Raghavan

QuoteI'd love to drive a Porsche someday...I'd hate to own one. :o ;)
:lol:  

J86

Driving one just makes you want to own one that much more.

Raghavan

Driving one just makes you want to own one that much more.
Until your cheap side takes over. :devil: