1970 Dodge Monaco

Started by cawimmer430, August 02, 2012, 05:26:00 AM

cawimmer430

First a question: what is the round circular hole on the driver's side next to the two frontal lights. My best guess is that this was some sort of automatic light dimming device that sensed the headlights of oncoming cars at night and switched the Monaco's lights from high beam to low beam. Anyone else think this could be it?

Second, check out the description of the reverse lights and how they're hidden behind those slits in the metal in the rear of the car: brilliant. What an awesome design. The whole car looks awesome by the way.

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Payman

If you read the ad, you would know what they are.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Rockraven on August 02, 2012, 05:28:38 AM
If you read the ad, you would know what they are.

I did. I read the whole ad and the brochure from which this is from, but there's no description of what this device is.

I don't think it's an "optional cornering light" because the ad speaks of "optional cornering lights" (plural).

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Payman

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 02, 2012, 05:34:03 AM
I did. I read the whole ad and the brochure from which this is from, but there's no description of what this device is.

I don't think it's an "optional cornering light" because the ad speaks of "optional cornering lights" (plural).

Huh... so it does. I dunno then.

3.0L V6

This is a factory brochure for the Super Lite - it's an auxiliary driving lamp.

http://www.fuselage.de/dod69/69dod_superlite_large.jpg

ChrisV

It's called the Super Lite, a quartz iodine driving light. A very rare option. The cornering lights are the little rectangular lights ahead of the front wheels.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

ChrisV

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Atomic

Nice era in car design for sure... Some novel ideas for their day... Like those supplementary turn singnals on the far front end of car hoods of some models of that time...

shp4man

Being a 1970 model, that was actually a pretty decent car. I always liked that era of Chrysler design. You don't see too many Monacos like that, even here in no rust California.

Atomic

Quote from: shp4man on August 02, 2012, 11:17:08 AM
Being a 1970 model, that was actually a pretty decent car. I always liked that era of Chrysler design. You don't see too many Monacos like that, even here in no rust California.

There was the Polaris, too, eh? Differences between the two. The Plymouth variety was the Fury, right? Amazing how many large, beautiful and stately cars from Chrysler-Plymouth-Imperial and Dodge there were in the good old days. GM and FMC had a lot of cars with similar to those favorites from Chrysler Corporation.

2o6

Quote from: Atomic on August 02, 2012, 11:23:48 AM
There was the Polaris, too, eh? Differences between the two. The Plymouth variety was the Fury, right? Amazing how many large, beautiful and stately cars from Chrysler-Plymouth-Imperial and Dodge there were in the good old days. GM and FMC had a lot of cars with similar to those favorites from Chrysler Corporation.

You mean Dodge Polara?

BENZ BOY15

That is one huge car.

LOL

Quote from: ChrisV on August 02, 2012, 06:16:29 AM
It's called the Super Lite, a quartz iodine driving light. A very rare option. The cornering lights are the little rectangular lights ahead of the front wheels.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on August 02, 2012, 06:16:28 AM
This is a factory brochure for the Super Lite - it's an auxiliary driving lamp.

http://www.fuselage.de/dod69/69dod_superlite_large.jpg

Quote from: ChrisV on August 02, 2012, 06:16:29 AM

Thanks.  :cheers:

Amazing the advanced technology this car had at the time. Extra lighting only seems to be making a comeback in todays cars.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: shp4man on August 02, 2012, 11:17:08 AM

Agreed. Chrysler had some gorgeous designs in the '60s and '70s. The Fuselage styling of the '60s and early '70s is gorgeous. Very simple, yet extremely classy. I love it. Even most of the late 1970s Chrysler products like the '74 Dodge Monaco, '76 Plymouth Volare, Plymouth Fury, Dodge St. Regis, Dodge Magnum etc. look really good to me.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

dazzleman

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 02, 2012, 05:26:00 AM
First a question: what is the round circular hole on the driver's side next to the two frontal lights. My best guess is that this was some sort of automatic light dimming device that sensed the headlights of oncoming cars at night and switched the Monaco's lights from high beam to low beam. Anyone else think this could be it?

Second, check out the description of the reverse lights and how they're hidden behind those slits in the metal in the rear of the car: brilliant. What an awesome design. The whole car looks awesome by the way.

Automatic light dimmers?  I don't think anything like that existed in 1970.  

I love your fetish for 70s cars.  My brother had something similar.  He got hold of our great aunt's 1972 Chevy Impala when she died.  But he ran it into the ground pretty quickly.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

3.0L V6

Quote from: dazzleman on August 03, 2012, 09:04:53 PM
Automatic light dimmers?  I don't think anything like that existed in 1970. 

I love your fetish for 70s cars.  My brother had something similar.  He got hold of our great aunt's 1972 Chevy Impala when she died.  But he ran it into the ground pretty quickly.

Actually, GM had "Autronic Eye", an automatic headlight dimmer in 1952 Cadillac and Oldsmobile models. I'm not sure how well it worked, but GM during 1950-1970 had a lot of cutting edge/experimental stuff - however, the inherent conservatism of the company prevented them from further refining the ideas. They'd introduce something and if it didn't take off right away, or had teething problems, they'd distance themselves from it and go back to tried and true methods.

Galaxy

You know for a 1970s American car that is quite good looking. Still generally speaking your taste for US cars is off by at least a decade.  :lol:

You need to post pictures of cars like:

1961 Chrysler Imperial Custom 4 door:

Chrysler Imperial Crown cabrio:

1960 Oldsmobile Super 88:

1958 Ford Thunderbird:

1931 Duesenberg J

1940 Cadillac 16:

1959 Cadillac Series 62 cabrio:

:clap:  :wub:

dazzleman

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on August 04, 2012, 05:56:00 AM
Actually, GM had "Autronic Eye", an automatic headlight dimmer in 1952 Cadillac and Oldsmobile models. I'm not sure how well it worked, but GM during 1950-1970 had a lot of cutting edge/experimental stuff - however, the inherent conservatism of the company prevented them from further refining the ideas. They'd introduce something and if it didn't take off right away, or had teething problems, they'd distance themselves from it and go back to tried and true methods.

That's really interesting.  Thanks for the information.  I assumed that such technology existed at the time, but wasn't deemed economically feasible to deploy.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Atomic

Wow, what a sweet collection of pics. All of these cars look incredible.

dazzleman

Here are a few I took today:

shp4man

dazzleman

Quote from: shp4man on August 04, 2012, 01:14:16 PM
Is that yours?

No.  I wish it were, but it's a car I saw on the street.

Galaxy

What is is with old American cars and dice on the mirror?

shp4man

Quote from: dazzleman on August 04, 2012, 01:16:13 PM

You could afford that or one like it. The other guy got the "fuck" boat, so you get a vintage car. Consider it an investment if you want.  :lol:

hotrodalex

Quote from: Galaxy on August 04, 2012, 01:20:28 PM

"The practice of fuzzy dice originated in the U.S. in the 1950s and is considered one of the first items sold specifically to be hung from a rear-view mirror. The exact meaning and origin of fuzzy dice is unclear, but one theory holds that U.S. pilots in World War II used dice in their cockpits for good luck, and they continued the practice when they came home from the war."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzzy_dice

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Galaxy on August 04, 2012, 01:20:28 PM

Originally, from what i've been told: it was a sign you were willing to race and put up some money for it too. (Dice= ready to gamble)
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Secret Chimp

I really like early 60s Pontiacs. Their ad art was awesome too:

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Galaxy

Another favorite of mine is the Dodge Custom Royal Lancer. The thing even had a record player!

The US makes were very good at making 2 tone paints jobs work back then imo.

Atomic

Quote from: dazzleman on August 04, 2012, 01:16:13 PM

Amazing condition and that green is spectacular!

Atomic

That Pontiac ad above really makes you feel like you are right there. Exquisite artistry. The Dodge Royal Lancer is pristine, too, and I agree about those stunning two tone paint jobs and pairing of colors.

Great tastes all of you!