Defense for LEO tailgating?

Started by r0tor, August 31, 2012, 03:15:10 PM

r0tor

Ok, I'm completely tired of getting tailgated by police officers.  Today I had an officer completely on my ass for over 5 miles to the point that all I saw out of my rear view mirror was the Ford badge and grill from his new Explorer.

If the roles would have been reversed, there is no reason to believe he wouldn't have pulled my ass over for aggresive driving.  If I would have sped up to get him off my ass, he would have pulled my ass over for speeding.  If I would have grabbed my phone and filmed his ass I would have also been pulled over for distracted driving.  All I could do was set my cruise control for the speedlimit and hope I didn't have to make any emergency stops and wind up with an explorer in my trunk.

WTF can an average civilian driver do to avoid such reckless endangerment from tailgating cops???
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

speakerphone- put it in your lap and call the police.
Will

S204STi

As much as I respect my LEOs, i'vs called in shifty driving. If you're in a hurry, turn on the overheads.

TurboDan

You could always file a complaint, I guess. Or call the chief and just ask what was up.

Maybe he just wanted to go faster. Unfortunately, you don't know what the result would've been. Could've been some free speeding or could've been a ticket.  :huh:

Eye of the Tiger

Brake check. Gotta make sure they still work. Also, a black cat ran into the road so suddenly.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

r0tor

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 31, 2012, 05:22:00 PM
Brake check. Gotta make sure they still work. Also, a black cat ran into the road so suddenly.

Too bad though an accident involving an officer is always YOUR fault
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on August 31, 2012, 05:27:51 PM
Too bad though an accident involving an officer is always YOUR fault

Yep.

Even if you get t-boned in your own driveway.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

dazzleman

Quote from: r0tor on August 31, 2012, 03:15:10 PM
Ok, I'm completely tired of getting tailgated by police officers.  Today I had an officer completely on my ass for over 5 miles to the point that all I saw out of my rear view mirror was the Ford badge and grill from his new Explorer.

If the roles would have been reversed, there is no reason to believe he wouldn't have pulled my ass over for aggresive driving.  If I would have sped up to get him off my ass, he would have pulled my ass over for speeding.  If I would have grabbed my phone and filmed his ass I would have also been pulled over for distracted driving.  All I could do was set my cruise control for the speedlimit and hope I didn't have to make any emergency stops and wind up with an explorer in my trunk.

WTF can an average civilian driver do to avoid such reckless endangerment from tailgating cops???

I had this happen to me once.  In my case, it was late at night, and I think he was testing me to see if I was drunk.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: dazzleman on August 31, 2012, 06:55:50 PM
I had this happen to me once.  In my case, it was late at night, and I think he was testing me to see if I was drunk.

That's when you're supposed to weave back and forth within your lane to show him you are keeping your tires warm.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 31, 2012, 06:59:30 PM
LOL...?

Years ago, to my next door neighbor. who was at the end of he driveway but not yet on the road, and the cop went around a stopped car to the right.

She got ticketed, but as I recall, the case did get dismissed.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

TurboDan

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 31, 2012, 07:11:55 PM
Years ago, to my next door neighbor. who was at the end of he driveway but not yet on the road, and the cop went around a stopped car to the right.

She got ticketed, but as I recall, the case did get dismissed.

Few people know that anyone, including civilians, can issue summonses, at least in my state. If something as blatant as that happened, I would most certainly issue a summons to the other driver.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: TurboDan on August 31, 2012, 08:43:51 PM
Few people know that anyone, including civilians, can issue summonses, at least in my state. If something as blatant as that happened, I would most certainly issue a summons to the other driver.

I don't know all the particualrs first hand, but I do know that the ticket was dismissed for one reason or another.

I do know that the paper ran the story that she had hit the cop, and that there was absolutely no way that could have happened, as i saw the car afterwards, and the skid marks where the impact happened.

bing_oh

So, do you want us to speculate why this particular LEO was riding your ass or are you just bitching? I mean, I can rattle off a list of potential reasons, any (or none) of which might be true.

Raza

I'd pull over and let him pass.  No need to invite a roadside swine visit. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rich

Quote from: Raza  on August 31, 2012, 10:14:12 PM
I'd pull over and let him pass.  No need to invite a roadside swine visit. 

This

Whenever I get a tailgater, I just let off the gas and see how far they take it.  Had one guy still on my ass all the way down to 30mph on the freeway.  lols
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HotRodPilot on August 31, 2012, 11:31:52 PM
This

Whenever I get a tailgater, I just let off the gas and see how far they take it.  Had one guy still on my ass all the way down to 30mph on the freeway.  lols

Somehow, I don't see playing "who can be the bigger asshole" works well with most cops.

Rich

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 01, 2012, 12:42:44 AM
Somehow, I don't see playing "who can be the bigger asshole" works well with most cops.

About the only thing he could get you for at that point would be failure to maintain minimum speed, if there is one on that highway in Washington.  Then I'd be able to at least confront the dick about the tailgating, get his badge number, and then if the cop was a dick, call the department and report it. 
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

r0tor

Quote from: bing_oh on August 31, 2012, 09:05:57 PM
So, do you want us to speculate why this particular LEO was riding your ass or are you just bitching? I mean, I can rattle off a list of potential reasons, any (or none) of which might be true.

Speculate away...

dazzleman

Quote from: TurboDan on August 31, 2012, 08:43:51 PM

r0tor should issue a summons to the cop, and see how that turns out.... :lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

MX793

Quote from: dazzleman on September 01, 2012, 08:49:33 AM

Citizen's arrest!
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

Quote from: dazzleman on September 01, 2012, 08:49:33 AM

I think I would then need to change my daily work route...

I wouldblike a programmable license plate holder though so I could type messages to officer assclown

GoCougs

Chances are you did something to attract undue attention. What this was who is to know.

The only real choice is to signal and pull off the road as if you're going somewhere. Taking revenge or trying to "get his badge number" is asking for trouble. The strategy is to minimize contact and time invested, not seek revenge or go on an altruistic quest.

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on September 01, 2012, 11:28:49 AM
Chances are you did something to attract undue attention. What this was who is to know.

The only real choice is to signal and pull off the road as if you're going somewhere. Taking revenge or trying to "get his badge number" is asking for trouble. The strategy is to minimize contact and time invested, not seek revenge or go on an altruistic quest.

I'm guessing the cop became suspicious of r0tor for some reason, and decided to have a closer look.  As I said earlier, this has happened to me.  I do think the tailgating thing is obnoxious, though.  If a cop is suspicious and wants to follow, I think that's perfectly legitimate, but do it at a safe distance.  To be cynical, I think the tailgating for a noticeable distance is a tactic meant to provoke the driver into doing something that will give the cop a pretext to pull him over.  I think r0tor played it right, and didn't give the cop a pretext to check him out further.

TurboDan

Quote from: dazzleman on September 01, 2012, 11:50:44 AM
I'm guessing the cop became suspicious of r0tor for some reason, and decided to have a closer look.  As I said earlier, this has happened to me.  I do think the tailgating thing is obnoxious, though.  If a cop is suspicious and wants to follow, I think that's perfectly legitimate, but do it at a safe distance.  To be cynical, I think the tailgating for a noticeable distance is a tactic meant to provoke the driver into doing something that will give the cop a pretext to pull him over.  I think r0tor played it right, and didn't give the cop a pretext to check him out further.

It happened to me once years back. Turthfully, I'd rather he just pull me over if he thinks I'm doing something wrong or has a question for me. Playing games like the tailgating nonsense is juvenile, dangerous and unprofessional in my opinion.

I must say that most police officers in my area do not engage in such tactics and actually tend to drive very cautiously.

dazzleman

Quote from: TurboDan on September 01, 2012, 11:54:16 AM
It happened to me once years back. Turthfully, I'd rather he just pull me over if he thinks I'm doing something wrong or has a question for me. Playing games like the tailgating nonsense is juvenile, dangerous and unprofessional in my opinion.

I must say that most police officers in my area do not engage in such tactics and actually tend to drive very cautiously.

Yes, I agree about the tailgating.  It's really not safe, and it gives the impression that the cop is on a power trip.  Plus, I don't know what additional information he could gather by doing it; it seems a more surreptitious surveillance would be more effective if he's legitimately suspicious.

I've heard of the NJSP using this tactic to entrap speeders on the Palisades Parkway.  I don't think it's official policy, but there were some rogue cops who were doing it.  A guy I know (not 100% credible, IMO) said he was on the Palisades and a cop came racing up behind him, tailgated really close, and then when he sped up to move out of the way, the cop pulled him over and gave him 4 tickets for speeding, unsafe lane change, reckless and something else.

dazzleman

Quote from: TurboDan on September 01, 2012, 11:54:16 AM

It tends to happen most to young males.

giant_mtb

Quote from: GoCougs on September 01, 2012, 11:28:49 AM

Pretty decent overall life philosophy there, too.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HotRodPilot on September 01, 2012, 03:25:36 AM
About the only thing he could get you for at that point would be failure to maintain minimum speed, if there is one on that highway in Washington.  Then I'd be able to at least confront the dick about the tailgating, get his badge number, and then if the cop was a dick, call the department and report it. 

Obstructing traffic. Or the dude suddenly notices a brake light is burnt out, or that you've painted over your reverse lights. Maybe the parking pass sticker on your windshield constitutes obstructed vision as well. maybe your muffler's too loud; who knows?

If a cop wants to pull you over, he's going to find a reason one way or the other. Once he pulls you over, he doesn't have to find much cause to search your car.

In other words: playing "who can be the bigger asshole" with a cop is pretty much always a losing proposition.