Should I upgrade the exhaust on the G37?

Started by GoCougs, September 04, 2012, 01:07:05 AM

Should I upgrade the exhaust on the G37?

Yes
No

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 04, 2012, 11:47:10 AM
If its a performance car why is its exhaust so quiet

Suggest driving in one, riding in one, or getting a drive by. It definitely has the telltale VQ rumble, albeit quelled a bit WRT the coupe and FX35.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on September 04, 2012, 12:01:10 PM
You have made the comment I posted.  I have read it.  I'm not looking for it right now, but I will find it later when I'm not at work.

Ha, ha. I so own you.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on September 04, 2012, 12:02:32 PM
It's a Nissan (remember, it was developed as the Skyline 370GT in Japan first) and is at best "near" luxury.

Only hardcore car enthusiasts even know that,.  The image is that of a entry-luxury sport sedan.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on September 04, 2012, 11:41:42 AM
Though not a fail the "character" of the car is as a performance Nissan. Oh, and your fail is you somehow you latched onto this lol:

You lose.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

I think it fits the existing bumper cutout well:

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on September 04, 2012, 12:09:12 PM
Only hardcore car enthusiasts even know that,.  The image is that of a entry-luxury sport sedan.

What counts - image, or what it actually is?

A ricey uncorked exhaust doesn't fit too well but just a bit more a la G37C and FX35 will be perfect. This Tanabe exhaust is only a few DB above stock, which is unlike most aftermarket exhausts.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 04, 2012, 11:47:10 AM
If its a performance car why is its exhaust so quiet

My favorite exhaust ever was a 8series in Germany. LESS THAN WHISPER quiet at idle and up to about 2500rpms. Above that it ROARED.
Will

CALL_911

LOLWUT, Cougs wants an aftermarket exhaust on his car? What is the world coming to?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

r0tor

Mufflers that stick out beow the bumper are so rice
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on September 04, 2012, 06:44:41 PM
Mufflers that stick out beow the bumper are so rice

Stock mufflers do so as well. Stockers are painted dark gray so not too visible (and why some paint their aftermarket mufflers as mentioned):

GoCougs

Quote from: CALL_911 on September 04, 2012, 06:39:27 PM
LOLWUT, Cougs wants an aftermarket exhaust on his car? What is the world coming to?

I've had MANY cars with aftermarket exhaust; including headers, full piping, etc., (some of it installed and welded myself actually).

CALL_911

I'm a fan of the move. I think aftermarket exhausts look pretty cool on G37s, actually.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

Painted mufflers. Looks much more like what I'd want:

FlatBlackCaddy

I've heard of the G's burning up valves with some exhaust mods, I hope you did ALOT of research. Apparently stricter emissions, the search for "class leading" fuel economy has led to some low flow hot bypass catalyst that nissan in particular is very fond of using. Adding higher flowing exhaust without altering the ENTIRE exhaust system will lead to higher exhaust gas temps and damage the head. Of course this will NOT BE COVERED by any warranty(manufacturer or aftermarket).

GoCougs

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 04, 2012, 07:25:23 PM
I've heard of the G's burning up valves with some exhaust mods, I hope you did ALOT of research. Apparently stricter emissions, the search for "class leading" fuel economy has led to some low flow hot bypass catalyst that nissan in particular is very fond of using. Adding higher flowing exhaust without altering the ENTIRE exhaust system will lead to higher exhaust gas temps and damage the head. Of course this will NOT BE COVERED by any warranty(manufacturer or aftermarket).

Once you get some experience under your belt the knowledge will come but be weary of the automotive enthusiast community's unbridled penchant for automatic knowledge; IOW, "hear" less and do and research more.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: GoCougs on September 04, 2012, 07:29:48 PM
Once you get some experience under your belt the knowledge will come but be weary of the automotive enthusiast community's unbridled penchant for automatic knowledge; IOW, "hear" less and do and research more.

It's all over the internet.

GoCougs

Onslaught

You could always try it and if you don't like it sell them used on craigslist or something. You'll be out some cash but you'll know once and for all if it's what you want.

I looked really hard at the G37s 3 years ago. I thought it sounded good.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: GoCougs on September 04, 2012, 07:35:37 PM
That you regurgitate without knowledge and experience?

Maybe we are looking at a different internet?

S204STi

Cougs, to get your car dyno tuned by a reputable shop.  Will yield better results than either a CAI or Catback.

If dude wants a cat-back dude, can have one.  I'm not a fan of VQ engines on loud pipes, but w/e.

ergodic

It's all Cougs internetry - neither the exhaust, nor the car actually exists. Why are you looking at a shiny bling on a white car, when yours is what, dark blue???

LonghornTX

The car is already pretty loud as is. I wouldn't have done it personally, but I am all for modifying cars, so good luck and hopefully it turns out well!
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

2o6

Quote from: S204STi on September 04, 2012, 08:48:49 PM
Cougs, to get your car dyno tuned by a reputable shop.  Will yield better results than either a CAI or Catback.

If dude wants a cat-back dude, can have one.  I'm not a fan of VQ engines on loud pipes, but w/e.

Dynos are highly inaccurate, remember?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: ergodic on September 04, 2012, 09:16:39 PM
It's all Cougs internetry - neither the exhaust, nor the car actually exists. Why are you looking at a shiny bling on a white car, when yours is what, dark blue???

Yep.

I kep imagining Coug's response if this question was floated by anybody else.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Quote from: S204STi on September 04, 2012, 08:48:49 PM
Cougs, to get your car dyno tuned by a reputable shop.  Will yield better results than either a CAI or Catback.

Gas in this area is notoriously inconsistent though. It wreaks havoc with cars tuned on the edge. I'm really only looking for wee bit more sound; and this should do it as it's only an axle back.

GoCougs

Quote from: LonghornTX on September 04, 2012, 09:32:05 PM
The car is already pretty loud as is. I wouldn't have done it personally, but I am all for modifying cars, so good luck and hopefully it turns out well!

You're probably thinking the coupe, which has a different and noticeably louder exhaust. I wouldn't go any louder than the coupe either.

GoCougs

I has the sads. I see my chronic attempts at education have failed.  :(

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on September 04, 2012, 10:12:41 PM
You're probably thinking the coupe, which has a different and noticeably louder exhaust. I wouldn't go any louder than the coupe either.
The coupe also sounds worse than the sedan.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on September 04, 2012, 11:37:58 AM
Am still looking for a set of split 7-spoke 18" rims so perhaps a partial trade is on the horizon.

Quote from: SVT666 on September 04, 2012, 11:44:41 AM
I remember you stating several times that you "purposefully" didn't buy the Sport because the ride quality trade-off of the 18" wheel package isn't worth it.  You are so full of shit.

Quote from: GoCougs on September 04, 2012, 11:57:53 AM
Ha, ha. FailSPIN x 2. Sorry for the ItotallyownyouSPIN but you had it coming, as you always do. You should have learned from sporty and his now-cured penchant for InventedpremiseSPIN. (The audience will note I bought the the car the day before the below post):

Quote from: SVT666 on September 04, 2012, 12:01:10 PM
You have made the comment I posted.  I have read it.  I'm not looking for it right now, but I will find it later when I'm not at work.

Quote from: GoCougs on September 04, 2012, 12:05:27 PM
Ha, ha. I so own you.

Really?  You own me?  I think I own you.  You're a lying hypocrite.  And I have the proof.

I present to you......

Quote from: GoCougs on June 12, 2012, 06:20:32 PM
About the "sport" model. The ground effects hang down low, which was a bit of a  :facepalm:  for the AWD model and ride quality (and snow prowess) decreases with the 18" wheels (I passed on the S model because of this). Other than this maybe bigger brakes all you get is the paddle shifters.