worst post-2000 automobile?

Started by BENZ BOY15, September 15, 2012, 04:01:12 PM

BENZ BOY15

2o6

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on September 15, 2012, 04:01:12 PM
I'm going to say the Aztec.

Aztek isn't that bad. It's ugly and the starting point sucked, but I don't outright hate it. I wouldn't buy one, and I try to stop anyone I know from buying Aztek or Rendezvous, but it's really not that bad. People get hung up on the styling and don't consider the rest of the car (which sucked)

I nominate the Aveo

I have a strange relationship with this car; I actually think it looks good for what it is. It also has some merits; the interior is screwed together decently enough, and the interior quality is OK. It's also pretty roomy for it's size.

But it's slow without good fuel economy, it rides and handles like crap and they never stay together. These Aveos are always falling apart and having catastrophic failures on pretty much every component of the car.

2o6

You know, even though I halfheartedly defended the Aztek, I have far more disdain for the Rendezvous

For starters, it looks like crap. Yes, I think it looks worse than the Aztek.

It performs like crap; those old pushrod motors sound and feel like crap especially considering that the Rendezvous was aiming for the Lexus RX.

It drives like crap. I drove an Uplander a couple days ago, and it's clear that those cars are platform mates. It's bouncy on glass-smooth roads, and crashy over bumps. It has no confidence in the curves whatsoever.

The interior is total junk; cheap nastiness everywhere you look, no effort to hide the GM parts bin stuff all over the interior.

And to top it off, they're known for being fairly unreliable.

On the plus side, it is quiet and it is roomy....sort of.

Soup DeVille

I think both the Suzuki Aerio and the Toyota Echo were somewhat worse than the Aveo, although i'm not sure either of those were the worst.

Lincoln Aviator perhaps?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 15, 2012, 04:38:38 PM
I think both the Suzuki Aerio and the Toyota Echo were somewhat worse than the Aveo, although i'm not sure either of those were the worst.

Lincoln Aviator perhaps?

Echo is at least reliable, and it stays together fairly well. Also, Europe loves the Echo (Yaris). Aerio wasn't bad, either, it was just funky looking.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on September 15, 2012, 04:10:59 PM

Aztek isn't that bad. It's ugly and the starting point sucked, but I don't outright hate it. I wouldn't buy one, and I try to stop anyone I know from buying Aztek or Rendezvous, but it's really not that bad. People get hung up on the styling and don't consider the rest of the car (which sucked)

I nominate the Aveo

I have a strange relationship with this car; I actually think it looks good for what it is. It also has some merits; the interior is screwed together decently enough, and the interior quality is OK. It's also pretty roomy for it's size.

But it's slow without good fuel economy, it rides and handles like crap and they never stay together. These Aveos are always falling apart and having catastrophic failures on pretty much every component of the car.

A guy here at work has a bright metallic orange aveo with license plates that read '2fst4u'.

He has serious problems with reality.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Payman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 15, 2012, 04:39:46 PM
A guy here at work has a bright metallic orange aveo with license plates that read '2fst4u'.

He has serious problems with reality.

He must be referring to pedestrians.

Laconian

Many Dodges made in the Cerberus era. Caliber, Nitro, Avenger.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rockraven on September 15, 2012, 04:41:30 PM
He must be referring to pedestrians.

No, he thinks its fast. He tells me from time to time about the cars he's raced and beaten.

2o6

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on September 15, 2012, 04:39:42 PM

Echo is at least reliable, and it stays together fairly well. Also, Europe loves the Echo (Yaris). Aerio wasn't bad, either, it was just funky looking.

I can't aegue about the Echo too much, I know it only from repytation: but the Aerio was a seriously flawed automobile.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: 2o6 on September 15, 2012, 04:39:42 PM

The echo is trash....how could I forget that.

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 15, 2012, 04:43:43 PM
I can't aegue about the Echo too much, I know it only from repytation: but the Aerio was a seriously flawed automobile.

Echo had a lot of things going for it; the 1NZ FE is bulletproof reliable and returns great economy. Echo also provided space that beat out Corolla, and the center-mounted gauge cluster (shockingly) many people actually like (I'm indifferent to this). It also feels far more refined and stable than Aveo, Rio and Accent of the day.

It was just ugly.

And I'm not sure about the uglyness, either, the hatchback IMO is a tidy looking vehicle.

Laconian

Laconian

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 15, 2012, 04:43:43 PM
It was an odd duck. The engine was remarkably powerful for its segment. Also, it had AWD.

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on September 15, 2012, 04:48:01 PM
We didn't get the Echo hatch.

That's true, but the Echo sedan is the same car but ugly.

Yaris is pretty similar (same powertrains) but with a stiffer, roomier chassis.  I don't mind ugly cars if they have merits (which the Echo did). I mind ugly cars that are crap inside and out, and are unreliable and have no merits whatsoever.

Like the Saturn ION. Somehow, it manages to be worse than the Cobalt. I don't have much love for the Astra, either.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on September 15, 2012, 04:48:35 PM
It was an odd duck. The engine was remarkably powerful for its segment. Also, it had AWD.

Which obliterated the main reason why people buy those cars: fuel economy. it was also unreasonably cramped inside. and the whole thing gave the impression of being glued together by a 3rd grader with a massive supply of Elmer's.

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 15, 2012, 04:50:52 PM
Which obliterated the main reason why people buy those cars: fuel economy. it was also unreasonably cramped inside. and the whole thing gave the impression of being glued together by a 3rd grader with a massive supply of Elmer's.

I remember the Aerio being the opposite of cramped. (For it's size). IIRC, it was roomier than the Focus and friends.

2o6

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on September 15, 2012, 04:52:26 PM

I remember the Aerio being the opposite of cramped. (For it's size). IIRC, it was roomier than the Focus and friends.

I could sit up in the Focus. I could not in the Aerio.

2o6

FoMoJo

It would be pretty hard to beat the Aztek for ugly...
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Laconian

Quote from: 2o6 on September 15, 2012, 04:54:24 PM

Reliable, and nothing else.
WTF, it might be boring but definitely not the worst.

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on September 15, 2012, 04:56:36 PM
WTF, it might be boring but definitely not the worst.

Exceptionally cramped, terrible to drive, and with that comedy 3-speed automatic......

Maybe I'm exaggerating, but I don't like that Corolla, either.

Even worse than Avenger, IMO

Soup DeVille

2o6

I don't think I need to explain this one :

Vinsanity

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 15, 2012, 04:42:38 PM
No, he thinks its fast. He tells me from time to time about the cars he's raced and beaten.

I would love to see some dashcam vids of this guy cruising around for some "kills". Maybe with a buddy sitting shotgun egging him on, and the Fast & Furious soundtrack playing through the system.

ifcar

I'd say the Dodge Nitro: everything that was bad about the Jeep Liberty on-road, which was a lot, but without off-road ability.

In terms of simple penalty-box wretchedness, it would probably be hard to beat a Daewoo Lanos, though.

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 15, 2012, 04:42:38 PM

Does he ever tell the cars he's racing that they're racing?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.