Your next car?

Started by 2o6, September 30, 2012, 08:28:15 PM

SVT666

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Quote from: dazzleman on October 13, 2013, 10:22:44 AM
Do you guys think I should consider a diesel?

If only to annoy Cougs.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on October 13, 2013, 12:50:20 PM
I don't think there are many risks inherent to diesels as a whole, besides diesel availability. The engines tend to fare better over time than gas engines. Whether or not Audi biffed it on this is another matter, but I know a lot of happy VWAG diesel owners. :huh:

The primary benefit of diesel in passenger vehicles is great fuel economy. Given that you only drive to and from the bus stop, and you're loaded, fuel economy is probably not high up on your list of priorities.

They also provide great torque down low, which if you like feeling the sensation of acceleration, can be a really good thing.

For me, the availability is the big issue.  It would force me to think a lot more about the logistics of filling up than I am accustomed to doing, particularly away from home.

You KNOW I like the sensation of acceleration, so that is definitely a plus.  I remember the older generation of diesels had a reputation for being sluggish, so that's interesting to hear.  I think I'll try to test drive one.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: SVT666 on October 13, 2013, 01:36:23 PM
F-350 for Dave

That's a no-go.  I hate those fucking things.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: dazzleman on October 13, 2013, 03:12:40 PM
For me, the availability is the big issue.  It would force me to think a lot more about the logistics of filling up than I am accustomed to doing, particularly away from home.

You KNOW I like the sensation of acceleration, so that is definitely a plus.  I remember the older generation of diesels had a reputation for being sluggish, so that's interesting to hear.  I think I'll try to test drive one.

You know, they sell diesel everywhere, right?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

dazzleman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 13, 2013, 03:16:31 PM
You know, they sell diesel everywhere, right?

No, I don't really know that.  I'm pretty sure the gas station I go to regularly doesn't sell diesel.  I have to research it more.  I'm asking you guys 'cause you're smart and know more about some of this stuff than I do.  Thanks for the information.

dazzleman

Rupert

I knew you were a bowtie guy.

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on October 13, 2013, 03:33:04 PM
I knew you were a bowtie guy.

Bowtie?  WTF...I don't even own one.  I used to wear one when I worked in a restaurant 100 years ago.

MX793

Not every gas station sells diesel, but I'd wager more than half do.  The bigger problem is that many don't keep their diesel pumps very clean.  A co-worker who recently purchased a diesel Touareg told me he keeps some disposable rubber gloves in his car in case he comes across a pump that is all scummy and covered in fuel residue.  He's also pretty picky about what stations he goes to locally, favoring those he knows frequently clean their pump handles.

That said, since his Touareg has the same size tank as the gas version (which is like 25 gallons or more) and he easily gets mid 20s for mileage, he has something like a 600 mile range before he needs to fill up.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rupert

Quote from: dazzleman on October 13, 2013, 03:34:50 PM
Bowtie?  WTF...I don't even own one.  I used to wear one when I worked in a restaurant 100 years ago.

No you doof:

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on October 13, 2013, 03:38:53 PM
No you doof:

OK.  You know it.  I'm a Chevy man all the way.  I actually did own one once.  A 1986 Chevy Nova, basically a twin of the Toyota Corolla.  Pretty unexceptional car, but it got the job done.

Rupert

Ha, yeah, I had an '88 as my first car. I liked it a lot. Tough little thing.

(As my sig says).

280Z Turbo

They also run out of revs really fast, but Dazzle probably accelerates like a grandpa anyway.

dazzleman

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 13, 2013, 04:01:37 PM
They also run out of revs really fast, but Dazzle probably accelerates like a grandpa anyway.

I bet in drive a lot faster than you do.  You may be physically younger but I'm mentally younger.

280Z Turbo

I said accelerate. ;)

Have you ever even turned your DSC off? :evildude:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: dazzleman on October 13, 2013, 03:26:07 PM
No, I don't really know that.  I'm pretty sure the gas station I go to regularly doesn't sell diesel.  I have to research it more.  I'm asking you guys 'cause you're smart and know more about some of this stuff than I do.  Thanks for the information.

Probably close to 80% of stations have diesel; even urban stations. Its usually just one pump though, out on the end.

280Z Turbo

Unless I was hellbent on saving polar bears, I probably wouldn't get a diesel passenger car.

Soup DeVille

Besides, forget this diesel stuff, Dave.

I've found your next car for you.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/bentley/6_1_2_litre/1605271.html

Too bad its only a replica.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 13, 2013, 04:51:08 PM
Besides, forget this diesel stuff, Dave.

I've found your next car for you.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/bentley/6_1_2_litre/1605271.html

Too bad its only a replica.

It needs a cow catcher for running over poor people.

dazzleman

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 13, 2013, 04:20:23 PM
I said accelerate. ;)

Have you ever even turned your DSC off? :evildude:

Yes, actually.

280Z Turbo

I didn't think you were a hoonigan. :pullover:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 13, 2013, 05:27:26 PM
I didn't think you were a hoonigan. :pullover:

While sitting with the car idling in its designated parking spot, Dave extends one trembling finger towards the "DSC off" button. He hesitates, and then in a moment of pure, boundless exhillaration, he presses, and as the blood rushes to his extremities in a classic, primordial fight-or-flight respnse, he sees the amber glow of the DSC-off warning light, teasing him with the curling S-shapes emanating from the little glowing car icon.

In that moment: that little icon is his car, the instrument panel is his boundless black horizon, and those little s-shapes are his mark upon that bleak, unforgiving world.

Then, he exhales, presses it again, and watches the fantasy fade from view as he puts the car into drive.

Rupert

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

dazzleman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 13, 2013, 06:12:57 PM
Sounds about right.

You were the one who said Ron and I were driving like maniacs on I-93 leaving Boston.....

dazzleman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 13, 2013, 05:34:21 PM
While sitting with the car idling in its designated parking spot, Dave extends one trembling finger towards the "DSC off" button. He hesitates, and then in a moment of pure, boundless exhillaration, he presses, and as the blood rushes to his extremities in a classic, primordial fight-or-flight respnse, he sees the amber glow of the DSC-off warning light, teasing him with the curling S-shapes emanating from the little glowing car icon.

In that moment: that little icon is his car, the instrument panel is his boundless black horizon, and those little s-shapes are his mark upon that bleak, unforgiving world.

Then, he exhales, presses it again, and watches the fantasy fade from view as he puts the car into drive.

:lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: dazzleman on October 13, 2013, 06:59:38 PM
You were the one who said Ron and I were driving like maniacs on I-93 leaving Boston.....

I blame Ron
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)