Infiniti World Takeover continues with steer-by-wire

Started by Laconian, October 17, 2012, 09:40:29 AM

Laconian

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/17/3515844/nissan-first-steer-by-wire-mass-produced-automobiles-next-year

"According to Reuters, Nissan has announced plans to introduce a new "steer-by-wire" system in its Infiniti line of automobiles by the next model year. This will be the first time that a steer-by-wire system will be available in a mass produced automobile..."
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

SUCK ON THAT, BMW! INFINITI ALL THE WAY!!! YEAH! YEAH!
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

SVT666

Steer by wire?  Fuck that shit.  Infiniti has some of the best steering I've ever driven and they're going to fuck with it? 

Oh.  So if my alternator packs it in while I'm driving down the road, do I lose steering ability? 

GoCougs

YES. Not long ago "they" said that fly-by-wire was a disaster for all sorts of reasons. It wasn't as it was more reliable, easier to maintain and was higher performance.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on October 17, 2012, 11:31:31 AM
YES. Not long ago "they" said that fly-by-wire was a disaster for all sorts of reasons. It wasn't as it was more reliable, easier to maintain and was higher performance.
I can see it in a plane, but not in a car.  Steering feel will be absolutely zero.  With no mechanical connection to the wheels you fuck up everything.

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on October 17, 2012, 11:56:25 AM
I can see it in a plane, but not in a car.  Steering feel will be absolutely zero.  With no mechanical connection to the wheels you fuck up everything.

It's like using a racing wheel on GT5 or Forza. It's a lot harder to stay on line in those games than in real life.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on October 17, 2012, 11:56:25 AM
I can see it in a plane, but not in a car.  Steering feel will be absolutely zero.  With no mechanical connection to the wheels you fuck up everything.

Steering feel will be zero only if Nissan wants it to be so. The closed loop electronic feedback system used to control the mechanical system will also give feedback into the mechanical system. How much and the exact feel of feedback Nissan will allow to be transmitted to the driver is TBD but if Nissan wants it to happen it will happen. Such a system also allows for near infinite variability on steering ratio which will be a boon to both performance and feel.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on October 17, 2012, 12:38:33 PM
Steering feel will be zero only if Nissan wants it to be so. The closed loop electronic feedback system used to control the mechanical system will also give feedback into the mechanical system. How much and the exact feel of feedback Nissan will allow to be transmitted to the driver is TBD but if Nissan wants it to happen it will happen. Such a system also allows for near infinite variability on steering ratio which will be a boon to both performance and feel.
Fake steering feel /= steering feel

sportyaccordy

Quote from: SVT666 on October 17, 2012, 10:37:53 AM
Steer by wire?  Fuck that shit.  Infiniti has some of the best steering I've ever driven and they're going to fuck with it? 

Oh.  So if my alternator packs it in while I'm driving down the road, do I lose steering ability? 
When is the last time an alternator "packed it in" while you were driving? There is probably an equal possibility of your PS pump "packing it in", w/potentially more dangerous implications.

People had the same damn freakouts when DBW throttles, ABS and ESC came out, and lo and behold, many of those very same folks are driving cars equipped with all that shit and enjoying the HELL out of them. This knee jerk boy cried wolf reaction w/every new automotive safety tech is getting so damn tired.

sportyaccordy

I forget what arcade game it was but it was old as hell. Had a steering wheel that you had to damn near wrestle sometimes, the feedback was so strong. I am sure they will be able to calibrate the hell out of it in an actual car.

CJ

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 17, 2012, 01:03:04 PM
I forget what arcade game it was but it was old as hell. Had a steering wheel that you had to damn near wrestle sometimes, the feedback was so strong. I am sure they will be able to calibrate the hell out of it in an actual car.

Hard Drivin' by Atari. My favourite arcade game ever. It's how I learned to drive stick.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 17, 2012, 01:00:41 PM
When is the last time an alternator "packed it in" while you were driving? There is probably an equal possibility of your PS pump "packing it in", w/potentially more dangerous implications.
3 years ago.  The one and only time I have ever had an alternator pack it in was while I was doing 50 mph down the highway.

QuotePeople had the same damn freakouts when DBW throttles, ABS and ESC came out, and lo and behold, many of those very same folks are driving cars equipped with all that shit and enjoying the HELL out of them. This knee jerk boy cried wolf reaction w/every new automotive safety tech is getting so damn tired.
Not even close to the same thing.  DBW throttles and ABS don't take away feel and I never opposed them.  ABS is technology I rather like.  The reason steering feel is so good in the Infiniti G and other performance cars is because of the mechanical connection.  No steer by wire is going to be able to allow you to feel the different road surface textures and road imperfections.  It's going to suck.  That's my prediction.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 17, 2012, 01:03:04 PM

I think that was a Ferrari F40 game or something. You could go around a loop-de-loop or something? I felt like the tuffmaster playing that thing.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Secret Chimp

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

280Z Turbo

giant_mtb

Interesting.  It'd be cool to be able to have a "highway" mode...steering wheel inputs are much more relaxed, making cruising down the highway a lot easier.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: SVT666 on October 17, 2012, 01:36:19 PM
3 years ago.  The one and only time I have ever had an alternator pack it in was while I was doing 50 mph down the highway.
Not even close to the same thing.  DBW throttles and ABS don't take away feel and I never opposed them.  ABS is technology I rather like.  The reason steering feel is so good in the Infiniti G and other performance cars is because of the mechanical connection.  No steer by wire is going to be able to allow you to feel the different road surface textures and road imperfections.  It's going to suck.  That's my prediction.
ABS, eh. But people were definitely crying when DBW throttles came out. They have the calibrations down pretty well now which is why you don't notice, but either way there is still definitely a difference, especially with older cars.

And honestly I think the "road imperfection" deal is a little overrated. Yes, its good to have if it doesn't interfere. But bump steer is never cool, and I've never driven a car w/high feedback that didn't also wrestle me at the wheel. You can get quality grip and load feedback (which is of value WRT controlling the car) w/o wrestling the wheel over every rock and rut in the road. My bike has crazy bump steer and I hate it, I would have more control + confidence without that element of feedback.

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 17, 2012, 02:45:34 PM
And honestly I think the "road imperfection" deal is a little overrated. Yes, its good to have if it doesn't interfere. But bump steer is never cool, and I've never driven a car w/high feedback that didn't also wrestle me at the wheel.
You haven't driven the cars I've driven then.

hotrodalex

I don't think it would eliminate bumpsteer. Might be able to counteract it without sending the feedback through the steering wheel, but that would be weird.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 17, 2012, 03:48:22 PM
I don't think it would eliminate bumpsteer. Might be able to counteract it without sending the feedback through the steering wheel, but that would be weird.
If the steering wheel isn't directly connected to the wheels there's no reason to have bumpsteer. At most they could limit the amplitude of feedback from the wheel, so youd get some kickback w/o that wrist snapping action. Thats the beauty of an electronic interface.

hotrodalex

You can also design suspension/steering systems that have little-to-no bumpsteer.

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 17, 2012, 04:27:22 PM
If the steering wheel isn't directly connected to the wheels there's no reason to have bumpsteer. At most they could limit the amplitude of feedback from the wheel, so youd get some kickback w/o that wrist snapping action. Thats the beauty of an electronic interface.
When the hell was the last time you had bumpsteer like that?  You're just being ridiculous.

2o6

But there's a back-up physical linkage. What's the point, then?