Infiniti's goofy new naming scheme

Started by afty, December 17, 2012, 11:08:00 PM

TurboDan

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 23, 2012, 05:48:27 AM
Mitsubishi has always enjoyed a reputation here for building affordable, well-made and reliable cars.

As far as I know, they've had pretty much the same reputation here. Just nobody wants to buy their cars for some reason.  :huh:

EDIT: At least over the past several years. I used to see tons of Eclipses, Galants and even Monteros (Pajeros) at one point.

MX793

Quote from: TurboDan on December 23, 2012, 06:19:00 PM
As far as I know, they've had pretty much the same reputation here. Just nobody wants to buy their cars for some reason.  :huh:

EDIT: At least over the past several years. I used to see tons of Eclipses, Galants and even Monteros (Pajeros) at one point.

2nd generation Eclipses were notorious for nickle-and-diming owners with myriad small problems as they got older.  IIRC, they are typically below average in most quality and reliability surveys and have been for years.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

LonghornTX

Quote from: Char on December 23, 2012, 03:58:19 PM
You want to know the truth?

It's because I don't get it. I don't understand the fervor for a subpar brand that has never built anything significant or even legendary, or achieved any engineering feat worthy of my attention. The entire range of cars across all their brands represent what I consider the most revolting compromise of style over substance.

Hear me out for a moment - I can't recall one Audi branded product that I could justifiably own over any of its counterparts, as they had nothing of substance to hold as beacon to potential buyers. A brand that 'small' engines with small output that produced just adequate acceleration and fuel economy, consistently bested by their Japanese counterparts, (Remember, this is the same company that still produces an engine with 8 valves, and 115hp. It's pathetic.) Priced higher than arguably cars that are better equipped and coupled extremely spectrums of styling (early 2000s Audi styling was very conservative, current styling is very extremely loud. And ugly.) And this would all be ok, if it weren't for the presumptuous owners who keep them afloat.
These people I despise the most, arrogantly parading around a brand whose crowning achievement is being almost as good as a BMW.  This is very unlike Lexus, a brand that was unknown 30 years ago, is now a segment leader offering daring style, technological innovation, reliability and extreme quality, and doesn't settle for being "almost." It is. Sure, the A4 might be an ok car, but why would you buy one over a Lexus? Is it more luxurious than a Lexus ES, more sporty than an IS, does it offer a better balance than a 3 series? Probably not. Essentially, true quality, engineering and substance are overlooked in the name of "style." The antiestablishment niche of these cars has essentially become the establishment, and if there ever was a brand that was the poster child of hipsters, Audi/VW would be the embodiment of it.

Wow.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

MX793

It's because I don't get it. I don't understand the fervor for a subpar brand that has never built anything significant or even legendary, or achieved any engineering feat worthy of my attention. The entire range of cars across all their brands represent what I consider the most revolting compromise of style over substance.

Hear me out for a moment - I can't recall one Audi branded product that I could justifiably own over any of its counterparts, as they had nothing of substance to hold as beacon to potential buyers. A brand that 'small' engines with small output that produced just adequate acceleration and fuel economy, consistently bested by their Japanese counterparts, (Remember, this is the same company that still produces an engine with 8 valves, and 115hp. It's pathetic.) Priced higher than arguably cars that are better equipped and coupled extremely spectrums of styling (early 2000s Audi styling was very conservative, current styling is very extremely loud. And ugly.) And this would all be ok, if it weren't for the presumptuous owners who keep them afloat.
These people I despise the most, arrogantly parading around a brand whose crowning achievement is being almost as good as a BMW.  This is very unlike Lexus, a brand that was unknown 30 years ago, is now a segment leader offering daring style, technological innovation, reliability and extreme quality, and doesn't settle for being "almost." It is. Sure, the A4 might be an ok car, but why would you buy one over a Lexus? Is it more luxurious than a Lexus ES, more sporty than an IS, does it offer a better balance than a 3 series? Probably not. Essentially, true quality, engineering and substance are overlooked in the name of "style." The antiestablishment niche of these cars has essentially become the establishment, and if there ever was a brand that was the poster child of hipsters, Audi/VW would be the embodiment of it.

The original VW Type 1/Beetle wasn't significant?  It was only one of the best selling, longest lived cars ever produced.  How about Audi Quattro?  That pretty much changed the face of rally racing with its dominance.  Bugatti Veyron (a VWAG product) is the most powerful, fastest road-going production car ever made.  The VR6 engine, which allowed for an inline-6 to be crammed longitudinally into a compact FWD car.  The Audi R10 TDi race car, which won Le Mans 3 years in a row, the first and only diesel-powered car to ever win the event.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: NomisR on December 21, 2012, 04:21:39 PM
But Acura only sells their cars in US, Canada, Mexico and China while Audi is global.

Those were US sales only, sorry if that was not clear.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Char on December 23, 2012, 04:23:06 PM
Great product by what standard? What niche, a vehicle with nice styling that is an epic pile of shit? You sould like a woman. 
Do you want to drive a shitty car because it looks nice?
You are the worst type of consumer.

You really don't know shit about shit, do you?  Talk about Audi and Volkswagen as having no significant accomplishments?  The Germans are the innovators in the car world; the Japanese simply take their ideas and work on them.  There's no GT-R if there weren't ever an Audi Quattro.  The Golf GTI created the fast, fun, and affordable small car. 

Have you ever been in an Audi?  You really think a gussied up Camry is more luxurious than the superbly well put together A4?  Have you ever driven a German car?  Or do you just parrot things you've heard?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

^has never driven a single vag^
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Char

Quote from: MX793 on December 24, 2012, 07:17:45 AM
The original VW Type 1/Beetle wasn't significant?  It was only one of the best selling, longest lived cars ever produced.  How about Audi Quattro?  That pretty much changed the face of rally racing with its dominance.  Bugatti Veyron (a VWAG product) is the most powerful, fastest road-going production car ever made.  The VR6 engine, which allowed for an inline-6 to be crammed longitudinally into a compact FWD car.  The Audi R10 TDi race car, which won Le Mans 3 years in a row, the first and only diesel-powered car to ever win the event.

VW Beetle, the most sold car in the world, after the Corolla, I'll grant you this is an iconic car, if only for how amazingly simple and inexpensive it was. The rest of the list doesn't warrant me addressing when you make comments about the VR6 motor being a notable achivement.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

Char

Quote from: Raza  on December 24, 2012, 08:01:23 AM
You really don't know shit about shit, do you?  Talk about Audi and Volkswagen as having no significant accomplishments?  The Germans are the innovators in the car world; the Japanese simply take their ideas and work on them.  There's no GT-R if there weren't ever an Audi Quattro.  The Golf GTI created the fast, fun, and affordable small car. 

Have you ever been in an Audi?  You really think a gussied up Camry is more luxurious than the superbly well put together A4?  Have you ever driven a German car?  Or do you just parrot things you've heard?

I knew you would poke your head in here eventually; you're Exhibit A, the presumptuous douchebag I was eluding too. Note how this pompous fool in his frenzy completely disregards the original point I made. VAG isn't BMW, Mercedes (and until recently Porsche) and attempting to unite them under the banner of being "German" diminishes the accomplishments of other manufacturers in order to conceal how little they have contributed on their own. 

Honestly, I don't even like arguing with you namely because you're rash and predictable. The Quattro is responsible for the MID 4 concept? The MID4 was supposed to be Nissans foray into supercar territory, and though it was never made it into production, many of the MID4s ideas, the ATTESA AWD system and Twin Turbocharged engine, were directly implemented into production vehicles, namely the 300ZX and the GT-R.  The Audi Quattro and its antiquated engine and AWD system never was a consideration for the GT-R, evidenced by the fact that it leapfrogged the competition in motorsports, and sharing nothing in design save for they both were all wheel drive. 

You have your opinion on A4s, I have mine. I feel they are nothing more than garbed up VW rabbits, with a hefty price increase. It's a brand built to attract women and posers (I'm assuming such as you) for the cachet of owning German engineering, even if it is a cut rate second class effort. Why have the best when you can settle for good?

I also LOL'd at you stating Audi's being put together well. I assume we aren't speaking long term?
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

2o6

Raza

Quote from: Char on December 24, 2012, 10:08:51 AM

I knew you would poke your head in here eventually; you're Exhibit A, the presumptuous douchebag I was eluding too. Note how this pompous fool in his frenzy completely disregards the original point I made. VAG isn't BMW, Mercedes (and until recently Porsche) and attempting to unite them under the banner of being "German" diminishes the accomplishments of other manufacturers in order to conceal how little they have contributed on their own. 

Honestly, I don't even like arguing with you namely because you're rash and predictable. The Quattro is responsible for the MID 4 concept? The MID4 was supposed to be Nissans foray into supercar territory, and though it was never made it into production, many of the MID4s ideas, the ATTESA AWD system and Twin Turbocharged engine, were directly implemented into production vehicles, namely the 300ZX and the GT-R.  The Audi Quattro and its antiquated engine and AWD system never was a consideration for the GT-R, evidenced by the fact that it leapfrogged the competition in motorsports, and sharing nothing in design save for they both were all wheel drive. 

You have your opinion on A4s, I have mine. I feel they are nothing more than garbed up VW rabbits, with a hefty price increase. It's a brand built to attract women and posers (I'm assuming such as you) for the cachet of owning German engineering, even if it is a cut rate second class effort. Why have the best when you can settle for good?

I also LOL'd at you stating Audi's being put together well. I assume we aren't speaking long term?

You really don't know a damn thing, do you?  And as far as rash and predictable, I think you're looking into a mirror, because 90% of your posts are anti-VW whether or not it's relevant to the discussion. And you clearly don't understand how things pave the way for later innovations.  That's like saying we don't owe the cell phone to Alexander Graham Bell because a cell phone shares nothing with the first phone other than its name.  You're really dumb.  So keep throwing out the personal insults, I can do that too, and have a merry Christmas and all that, while you drive what I assume is some inferior Nissan around and assure yourself of your false superiority. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Quote from: Char on December 24, 2012, 09:49:22 AM
VW Beetle, the most sold car in the world, after the Corolla, I'll grant you this is an iconic car, if only for how amazingly simple and inexpensive it was. The rest of the list doesn't warrant me addressing when you make comments about the VR6 motor being a notable achivement.

The original Beetle is the most sold car for a given single design.  The Corolla is the most sold nameplate, but has been redesigned many times.  No single generation of Corolla comes close to the original Beetle in sales.  The original Beetle was still being sold in some Latin American countries, built to the same basic design as when it first came out, up until about 6 years ago.  Nearly 70 years and over 15 million units built.
Needs more Jiggawatts

MX793

Quote from: Char on December 24, 2012, 10:08:51 AM

And Lexus was a made-up brand for the American market to peddle one real luxury car (the LS) and then a bunch of gussied up Toyotas.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Char

Quote from: Raza  on December 24, 2012, 11:04:07 AM
You really don't know a damn thing, do you?  And as far as rash and predictable, I think you're looking into a mirror, because 90% of your posts are anti-VW whether or not it's relevant to the discussion. And you clearly don't understand how things pave the way for later innovations.  That's like saying we don't owe the cell phone to Alexander Graham Bell because a cell phone shares nothing with the first phone other than its name.  You're really dumb.  So keep throwing out the personal insults, I can do that too, and have a merry Christmas and all that, while you drive what I assume is some inferior Nissan around and assure yourself of your false superiority.

Not relevant? You insulting me personally because I don't share the same view as you are NOT relevant. What IS relevant to the discussion is talking about Infiniti's direction, now that it's headed by a former Audi employee. My distain for Audi is within perfect context to for this discussion, especially because I was asked directly. What is your excuse?

And now that we have everyone's attention, why don't know explain to me and everyone else how the Audi Quattro was directly responsible for the BNR32 GTR.  Prove to everyone here how a the GTR, which never competed with Audi's Quattro, used the car as their basis of the GT-R design. You apparently know more than I on this, which should be expected of someone who drives a Z4, a vastly superior automobile compared to my Nissan quest.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on December 24, 2012, 10:16:26 AM
Mercury Villager.

I guess nobody told Char that minivans are for hipsters.

Lebowski

This seems like the dumbest branding decision ever.

2o6

Quote from: Char on December 24, 2012, 11:47:47 AM
Not relevant? You insulting me personally because I don't share the same view as you are NOT relevant. What IS relevant to the discussion is talking about Infiniti's direction, now that it's headed by a former Audi employee. My distain for Audi is within perfect context to for this discussion, especially because I was asked directly. What is your excuse?

And now that we have everyone's attention, why don't know explain to me and everyone else how the Audi Quattro was directly responsible for the BNR32 GTR.  Prove to everyone here how a the GTR, which never competed with Audi's Quattro, used the car as their basis of the GT-R design. You apparently know more than I on this, which should be expected of someone who drives a Z4, a vastly superior automobile compared to my Nissan quest.

R32 GTR's are irrelevant.

Just because two AWD systems exist doesn't mean one is responsible for the other.

Char

Quote from: 2o6 on December 24, 2012, 12:04:04 PM
R32 GTR's are irrelevant.

Just because two AWD systems exist doesn't mean one is responsible for the other.
Then why are you quoting me, tell that to Raza.

Colonel Cadillac

Char

TurboDan

Quote from: Char on December 24, 2012, 11:47:47 AM
You apparently know more than I on this, which should be expected of someone who drives a Z4, a vastly superior automobile compared to my Nissan quest.

:confused:

TurboDan

MrH

Lol! This thread took an awesome turn.

And tape player in the audi?! How plebian of you
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MX793

Quote from: TurboDan on December 24, 2012, 12:49:27 PM
That's a lot of cheap-ass, fake wood.  :devil:

That's genuine Michigan burled vinylwood.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: MrH on December 24, 2012, 12:52:05 PM
Lol! This thread took an awesome turn.

And tape player in the audi?! How plebian of you

:lol:

Yeah I need to get a good iPod hookup; the tape deck contraption is not up to snuff.

TurboDan

This is very unlike Lexus, a brand that was unknown 30 years ago, is now a segment leader offering daring style,

Nobody's accused Lexus of daringly styling anything since they gave us a rebadged Toyota Soarer.  :devil:

Eye of the Tiger

Char

AltinD

Quote from: Char on December 24, 2012, 12:32:24 PM
NISSAN

VW 2002 model .... actual car owned, not some pic from some fake-wood installing business' webpage  :evildude:

Real walnut wood BTW

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD