MB CLA revealed.....

Started by 2o6, December 24, 2012, 11:30:18 AM

2o6

TurboDan

Colonel Cadillac

Yeah I like it. The seats look comfortable.

SVT666

sportyaccordy

Need to see the side profile and get an honest perception of the overhang

Raza

Are there any photos that don't look like HDRs on acid?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

It's basically an "A-Class Sedan" (with a trunk). FWD is standard, AWD is optional/standard on the more powerful models.

Front looks ok, side and rear profile look a bit weird. Maybe it'll look better in person.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Submariner

Wouldn't buy one, but it looks pretty good.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

93JC

pendyman

I think it looks pretty good. Have to see it in a more normal color and without the HDR-ing. I wish Mercedes would hire a designer who can design headlights. Just saw an SL the other day. Like this car, the headlights are just goofy looking.

Raza

Quote from: pendyman on December 26, 2012, 08:07:53 AM
I think it looks pretty good. Have to see it in a more normal color and without the HDR-ing. I wish Mercedes would hire a designer who can design headlights. Just saw an SL the other day. Like this car, the headlights are just goofy looking.

They want the cars to look as perpetually surprised as I am at how much they can get people to pay for them.  I mean, shit...a base model SL starts at 105K, 12K more than a 911 cabriolet and a whopping 20K more than an XK convertible. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TurboDan

Quote from: Raza  on December 27, 2012, 12:14:12 AM
They want the cars to look as perpetually surprised as I am at how much they can get people to pay for them.  I mean, shit...a base model SL starts at 105K, 12K more than a 911 cabriolet and a whopping 20K more than an XK convertible. 

Yeah, the SL should still go for $80K MSRP. Triple digits for it is nuts. Holy depreciation, too!

Colin

I would like to see some photos as opposed to arty farty impressions........ but all the indications are that this is a ridiculously over-stylised machine, which some people will love and everyone else will hate. I doubt that there will be any middle ground.

Autocar magazine got all excited a year ago that this car would be just £19,000....... having seen what MB charge for A and B Classes, I suspect that they are £10,000 adrift of the price for even a modestly specced one, at which price point  I think its appeal ought to be quite limited. Doubtless I will be proved very wrong and people who buy cars for the prestige of the badge will stump up what ever is asked!

cawimmer430

MB stated that the reason this car exists is for people for whom a C-Class is to big and for whom an A-Class is not sedanish enough. It will most likely be successful in places where parking spaces are small and rare (Europe, Asia etc.) and where this is the perfect-sized car for a family/person.

BMW is reportedly working on a 1-Series sedan that will use a MINI FWD/AWD platform.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

TurboDan

Quote from: Colin on December 27, 2012, 01:48:17 AM
I would like to see some photos as opposed to arty farty impressions........ but all the indications are that this is a ridiculously over-stylised machine, which some people will love and everyone else will hate. I doubt that there will be any middle ground.

Autocar magazine got all excited a year ago that this car would be just £19,000....... having seen what MB charge for A and B Classes, I suspect that they are £10,000 adrift of the price for even a modestly specced one, at which price point  I think its appeal ought to be quite limited. Doubtless I will be proved very wrong and people who buy cars for the prestige of the badge will stump up what ever is asked!

That price is still too high, because you know you will never find one that doesn't have at least ONE expensive options package added on.

It should start in the high $20s USD, not in the $30s.

AltinD

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Raza

Quote from: TurboDan on December 27, 2012, 12:15:22 AM
Yeah, the SL should still go for $80K MSRP. Triple digits for it is nuts. Holy depreciation, too!

I thought 911s were super expensive now, and then I saw the base price of the SL...makes the XK look like the deal of the fucking century. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Colonel Cadillac

I just saw a reviewed 911 C4 on autoblog with an as tested price of $164,000. Unbelievable.

The Boxster is definitely no longer the poor man's Porsche.

MX793

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on December 31, 2012, 12:18:25 AM
I just saw a reviewed 911 C4 on autoblog with an as tested price of $164,000. Unbelievable.

The Boxster is definitely no longer the poor man's Porsche.

No, the poor man's Porsche has become the Cayenne.  And whenever that new small SUV shows up, that'll be the new poor man's Porsche.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

LonghornTX

Quote from: 2o6 on December 24, 2012, 11:30:18 AM
Nasty.

http://jokeforblog.blogspot.cz/2012/12/mercedes-cla-foto-ufficiali.html

Ugly styling, horrible proportions.
How you can think this car is so ugly but so many cheap Chinese sedans good looking (or even non objectionable) is beyond me.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

Cookie Monster

I like the front and rear fascias but I don't like the middle bit.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

cawimmer430

I think the problem in the photos is that the car looks so "squashed". I have a feeling that in real life it'll look slightly less "crushed together". It should be at the local Benz dealer in a few weeks for me to look at.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

S204STi

I dig.  Though I think the current C-series is better-looking.  Or whatever series competes with the 3er.

AltinD

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 31, 2012, 04:49:19 PM
I think the problem in the photos is that the car looks so "squashed". I have a feeling that in real life it'll look slightly less "crushed together". It should be at the local Benz dealer in a few weeks for me to look at.

From the spy pictures, you can see the front overhang is huge ... the enginedefinitelyelly in front of the front axel

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

2o6

cawimmer430

It's basically an A-Class sedan. The A-Class isn't a small car by any means. They're quite "large" for a compact.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Colin

Having seen some real photos now, as opposed to the art-farty images, my impressions have got better... until I got to the back end. The wings are all droopy - molten was a la latest CLS, but the boot lid is high and the rear bumper is just awful.

A cd of just 0.23 is mighty impressive.

As expected, it is going to be 35% more costly than all the excited predictions in the UK press of a year ago..... £25k for the cheapest hair shirt spec model....... so that means nearer £35k for a decent spec. At that price, it is costly.

2o6

Sometimes I feel like it's opposite day; this car has some of the worst FWD proportions I can think of....the huge front overhang, the high in the air beltline makes the wheels look like 13's, it's just a stylistic mess. Yeah, the low drag shape is impressive, and so is the interior, but holy cow is it an ugly car.

Catman

ifcar

It looks pretty good in all the photos I've seen except the profile.