The G-spot

Started by SVT666, January 09, 2013, 05:30:19 PM

68_427

My car has noticeable power loss with the A/C on.  But it also snows inside my car when I use it...
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

TurboDan

Quote from: GoCougs on April 02, 2013, 09:42:38 PM
It doesn't - a modern automotive AC compressor draws relatively little power - imagine the power suck represented by a 10% drop in mpg ;). Ain't happening...

I've noticed this as I've owned cars of varying years. The LR2 has absolutely no noticeable loss of power when the A/C is on. The old Mazda, the Saab and the VW all had varying levels of power loss, improving as the years did. I guess they finally got it right by the time the LR2 was made.  :praise:

SVT666

I think AC compressor technology has come a long way, but I think it affects smaller engines that make less power more than big engines making big power.  If an AC compressor needs 5 hp to run, then that's a bigger loss to a 120 hp engine than it is to a 300 hp engine.  My SVT Focus had a noticeable loss of power when I used AC, but it pretty much makes no difference at all to my G37.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on March 31, 2013, 01:00:26 PM
If you're a control freak.

It's a really good transmission if you just let it do its thing.

I had some great redline runs yesterday and the traction control was blinking SLIP SLIP SLIP SLIP the whole time. Could've fooled me, I didn't perceive any bad behavior whatsoever. Point, shoot, go. I wonder how coddled I am by these nannies.

Drove wifey's MB this morning. Just went out with her to get lunch then return. Its amazing 7-speed auto gets a A+ to the Infiniti's B+.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

hotrodalex

GM and MB are probably the best at automatic transmissions.

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 06, 2013, 02:29:06 PM
Drove wifey's MB this morning. Just went out with her to get lunch then return. Its amazing 7-speed auto gets a A+ to the Infiniti's B+.
What does it do well? I've never driven an MB myself.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on April 06, 2013, 05:00:00 PM
What does it do well? I've never driven an MB myself.

Its presence in normal driving is almost undetectable; upshifts and downshifts are super-smooth & precisely matched to what you need. The Infiniti, while much improved by the reprogram, is still herky-jerky IMO, at least until the transmission is fully warm, at which point it smooths out. This suggests to me that there is more to do with mappings based on input from the TCM's fluid temperature sensor. Or maybe my sensor is messed-up.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

CALL_911

Hey, don't talk shit about the Infiniti's transmission. SVT might get offended. :lol:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT666

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 08, 2013, 08:15:02 AM
Its presence in normal driving is almost undetectable; upshifts and downshifts are super-smooth & precisely matched to what you need. The Infiniti, while much improved by the reprogram, is still herky-jerky IMO, at least until the transmission is fully warm, at which point it smooths out. This suggests to me that there is more to do with mappings based on input from the TCM's fluid temperature sensor. Or maybe my sensor is messed-up.
The transmission could do with improvement, but I'm pretty happy with it after the software upgrade.

GoCougs

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 08, 2013, 08:15:02 AM

Might want to have that checked. Between my car and a number of sedan loaners (G37, G37x, G25, G25x) I've never experienced any sort of cold start tranny smoothness issues. The most I've noticed is that the G25 is a bit smoother in rev matching manual downshifts.

GoCougs

I have my car in for service today and got a G25 loaner. I guess it's been a while since I've driven a RWD G sedan. In sum total - steering, brakes, AT, and throttle (mapping) - the G25 is more responsive. The most noticeable difference was in the AT in driving around town in D - more apt to downshift and quicker upshifts.

Also, had my first repair today. The right rear door lock had been making some grinding noise for a while and I asked them to look at it. Turns out it's a bad lock actuator - half the time the tested it it didn't actually unlock the door. Service advisory said it's not uncommon with the G sedan.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on April 08, 2013, 01:10:15 PM
Might want to have that checked. Between my car and a number of sedan loaners (G37, G37x, G25, G25x) I've never experienced any sort of cold start tranny smoothness issues. The most I've noticed is that the G25 is a bit smoother in rev matching manual downshifts.
Me neither.  There is no difference in transmission performance whether it's cold or warm.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: SVT666 on April 08, 2013, 02:00:23 PM
Me neither.  There is no difference in transmission performance whether it's cold or warm.

Lucky. My transmission feels like a bag of dicks when cold. I'm hoping a fluid change will help.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

SVT666

Quote from: thecarnut on April 08, 2013, 03:00:38 PM
Lucky. My transmission feels like a bag of dicks when cold. I'm hoping a fluid change will help.
Every manual I've had is stiffer in the first few minutes of driving in the winter, but no real difference between just starting the car and 10 minutes later any other time of the year.  The Infiniti's auto doesn't feel any different at any time of the year.

GoCougs

I'm surprised at how much better the G25 aggressive throttle + AT works vs. the G37x at just driving around town - it's much more responsive.

Laconian

Your G37x must be pretty lazy, because the G25x I drove was a total snooze in every way. I fell in love with my car all over again when I went back to it.

Is your loaner a G25 or a G25x? Maybe it's the "x" that's cramping your 37's steez?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Cookie Monster

Don't you guys live close to each other? Try each others cars out!
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on April 08, 2013, 05:18:29 PM
Your G37x must be pretty lazy, because the G25x I drove was a total snooze in every way. I fell in love with my car all over again when I went back to it.

Is your loaner a G25 or a G25x? Maybe it's the "x" that's cramping your 37's steez?

The loaner is a G25. I had to bring it home so I've had a lot of seat time. It'd definitely more aggressive throttle mapping and more aggressive AT programming (to downshift). It's been a while since I had a G25x loaner but don't remember noticing a difference vs. the G37x. I also noticed this with the Accord V6 vs. the Civic loaners I had - virtually any movement of the throttle at cruise speed and the Civic AT would immediately (and smoothly) downshift. It too had much more aggressive throttle mapping. Made for a much more responsive drive around town.

GoCougs

Quote from: thecarnut on April 08, 2013, 05:23:29 PM
Don't you guys live close to each other? Try each others cars out!

Seattle GTG!

Cookie Monster

Quote from: GoCougs on April 08, 2013, 09:15:38 PM
The loaner is a G25. I had to bring it home so I've had a lot of seat time. It'd definitely more aggressive throttle mapping and more aggressive AT programming (to downshift). It's been a while since I had a G25x loaner but don't remember noticing a difference vs. the G37x. I also noticed this with the Accord V6 vs. the Civic loaners I had - virtually any movement of the throttle at cruise speed and the Civic AT would immediately (and smoothly) downshift. It too had much more aggressive throttle mapping. Made for a much more responsive drive around town.

Maybe it's one of those transmissions that learns and adapts to your driving style, and the rentals get constantly beat on and abused so it's more aggressive. :lol:
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

GoCougs

Quote from: thecarnut on April 08, 2013, 09:47:15 PM
Maybe it's one of those transmissions that learns and adapts to your driving style, and the rentals get constantly beat on and abused so it's more aggressive. :lol:

Lots and lots and lots of Internetism regarding G37 AT issues like I describe (general lack of response). I don't call my car a problem per se just that it is noticeably muted in its response. It's why I drive in manual mode at least 50% of the time.

Raza

I prefer manual mode in my car too.  Transmission is very unresponsive if you just let it do its thing. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

So my previous service adviser is now gone from the dealer. His replacement is a typical douchenozzle dealer lackey. He said I needed a PS fluid change and fuel injector cleaning, and in response to my concern that my brakes felt soft he said the G25 loaner weighed 1,000 lbs less. Jesus.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on April 09, 2013, 09:45:46 AM
So my previous service adviser is now gone from the dealer. His replacement is a typical douchenozzle dealer lackey. He said I needed a PS fluid change and fuel injector cleaning, and in response to my concern that my brakes felt soft he said the G25 loaner weighed 1,000 lbs less. Jesus.
My brakes are so grabby it can get annoying at slower speeds.  Maybe your pads are toast.  Have you checked your brake fluid levels?

afty

My brakes feel soft too.  The last G37 loaner I had had really grabby/responsive brakes.  Will probably get my brake fluid changed at the next service appointment.

I've found the service department at my Infiniti dealer to be awful.  Always trying to upsell you, very high costs for normal stuff ($75 for a non-synthetic oil change!), etc.  I've started taking it to the Nissan dealer for basic services, and they're way, way better.

GoCougs

The last visit I had brake fluid change and new rear brakes - no change.

SVT666

Quote from: afty on April 09, 2013, 10:37:34 AM
My brakes feel soft too.  The last G37 loaner I had had really grabby/responsive brakes.  Will probably get my brake fluid changed at the next service appointment.

I've found the service department at my Infiniti dealer to be awful.  Always trying to upsell you, very high costs for normal stuff ($75 for a non-synthetic oil change!), etc.  I've started taking it to the Nissan dealer for basic services, and they're way, way better.
I don't even take my car to the dealer anymore.  There is a $50 premium for a full synthetic oil change alone ($135 vs. $85).  I will only go for warranty stuff.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on April 09, 2013, 10:46:55 AM
The last visit I had brake fluid change and new rear brakes - no change.
What about your front brakes? 

GoCougs

SVT_Power

Quote from: SVT666 on April 04, 2013, 07:17:00 AM
I think AC compressor technology has come a long way, but I think it affects smaller engines that make less power more than big engines making big power.  If an AC compressor needs 5 hp to run, then that's a bigger loss to a 120 hp engine than it is to a 300 hp engine.  My SVT Focus had a noticeable loss of power when I used AC, but it pretty much makes no difference at all to my G37.

It was very much noticeable on the SVTC. But that damn car's AC was ridiculously cold. Couldn't direct it at skin even at the lowest fan setting without getting too cold within minutes.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna