TDI fades into regulatory oblivion; Enter Miata

Started by Tave, February 24, 2013, 02:15:38 PM

Tave

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 15, 2017, 03:51:33 PM
I had originally hoped that the Renegade was going to be more of a mini-Wrangler than the compact CUV that it ended up as. :( But at least it's good at what it was designed for.

To be fair I didn't drive even a gravel road. It had really good visibility, and as I said, rode well over broken roads. I didn't get a chance to adjust the AWD but it has multiple settings for different conditions. I can picture it being a decent trail bomber but couldn't tell you that for sure.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on May 15, 2017, 05:07:35 PM
Bruce Wayne drove a Jeep Renegade at the beginning of Batman vs. Superman. I have no idea why a multi billionaire would drive a POS like that. They dubbed in V12 sound effects to make it sound faster than it was.

That entire movie was just a skeleton to hang product placement on, but they could have at least chosen a believable vehicle.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Tave on May 15, 2017, 05:08:13 PM
To be fair I didn't drive even a gravel road. It had really good visibility, and as I said, rode well over broken roads. I didn't get a chance to adjust the AWD but it has multiple settings for different conditions. I can picture it being a decent trail bomber but couldn't tell you that for sure.

They're not incapable off road.  Ground clearance is probably their biggest issue, but it's plenty for dirt roads and light trail use.  They're like a new generation Geo Tracker.  Tiny little SUV that can handle itself on a trail. 

https://youtu.be/oYjwG4sFyhM

BimmerM3

Yeah, after I made the comment, I looked into them a little more, and it looks like the Trailhawk wouldn't be bad at all.

I'd still don't see me getting one over an XV Crosstrek, for example, if just for reliability concerns.

68_427

I know someone that had their Renegade Lemon'd, and it was a huge ordeal as FCA didn't want to lemon it until a lawsuit was dropped on their doorstep.  It was a base model FWD manual Renegade as well.  It replaced a manual Crosstrek, and that family is now back into two Subarus.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

Yeah, I had a friend that had a Fiat 500 Lemon Lawed, too.

mzziaz

How big of a turd is the 500e's btw? The ones that are coming off lease in Cali are super cheap.
Cuore Sportivo

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on May 17, 2017, 01:40:23 PM
Yeah, I had a friend that had a Fiat 500 Lemon Lawed, too.

A friend with a 500 Abarth just had his shift linkage break for the fourth or fifth time.  Car is off warranty now and apparently this time the parts made it past the 24 month new parts warranty.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Tave

FWIW the Renegade's tranny is the much-lauded ZF box and only programmed by FCA. It's absolutely atrocious.

On my way to pick up my Miata. Smell ya later Journey!
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

ifcar

Quote from: mzziaz on May 18, 2017, 07:14:37 AM
How big of a turd is the 500e's btw? The ones that are coming off lease in Cali are super cheap.

Probably not as much as the normal ones. Fewer pieces to break in an EV.

MX793

Quote from: Tave on May 18, 2017, 02:00:57 PM
FWIW the Renegade's tranny is the much-lauded ZF box and only programmed by FCA. It's absolutely atrocious.

On my way to pick up my Miata. Smell ya later Journey!

One of the Renegade's autos is made by ZF, but it's not the widely lauded ZF 8HP 8-speed that is found in the likes of Jags, BMWs, and Audis.  That gearbox will not work in transverse applications.  The Renegade gets the 9HP 9-speed unit, which has been problem-prone in some applications (Acura TLX, Jeep Cherokee) and is not particularly lauded by anyone.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Tave

Tave

I've never had so many random people come up to me and start talking about cars as with the Miata. Every once in awhile my 1st gen 4Runner would get some love, but nothing like this.

Laconian

Really? Nobody really cared about my NA and my ND seems to be nothing special now. I only get waves from NA stancebros.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Tave

Quote from: Laconian on June 21, 2017, 10:21:29 PM
Really? Nobody really cared about my NA and my ND seems to be nothing special now. I only get waves from NA stancebros.

Well in all fairness, your car is gray, so they probably just can't see it.  :evildude:

Kidding of course that color is awesome on the Targa, but yeah it's multiple times a week for me. I think the Soul Red is probably more eye-catching, and there's also the novelty factor of seeing a guy at my height climb in/out of it.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Tave on June 22, 2017, 09:11:57 AM
Well in all fairness, your car is gray, so they probably just can't see it.  :evildude:

Kidding of course that color is awesome on the Targa, but yeah it's multiple times a week for me. I think the Soul Red is probably more eye-catching, and there's also the novelty factor of seeing a guy at my height climb in/out of it.
Well, he lives in Seattle as well and it's always raining.  Who wants to stop and chat in the rain? :huh:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 22, 2017, 09:13:51 AM
Well, he lives in Seattle as well and it's always raining.  Who wants to stop and chat in the rain? :huh:

It's only rainy from mid/late fall to mid spring.  Seattle summers are actually quite dry.  The northeastern US (cities like Buffalo or Syracuse) actually gets more precipitation days per year than Seattle by a large margin.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Raza

I actually saw a gray RF the other day, but I wasn't in my car, so I didn't wave. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

I noticed your lack of a wave. I was so sad.

I knew it was you because I recognized your watch and arm hair
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Tave

Today I got a waive and a "Wooooooooo!" from a kid in a new Mustang I passed at an intersection.

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on June 22, 2017, 01:24:36 PM
I noticed your lack of a wave. I was so sad.

I knew it was you because I recognized your watch and arm hair

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I just got a new watch, though. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Getting after it on Dragon yesterday, might end up buying a couple prints (I'd never been in the summer, didn't realize photographers set up roadside)

MrH

:thumbsup:

Car looks great.  Shame there's such an ugly driver ruining the picture.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Tave

Tave

Even though I got up there kinda late and my back is killing me this week, I made more passes (5 or 6 round trips) that I had on previous trips. Did some really clean runs with a couple fast groups.

By far the highlight of the day was playing with a red F-type SVR convertible. I saw him at the end of a lap I started from the NC side while he was coming in from TN, flipped around, and caught him before the bridge. We waited for a big gap, he opened his exhaust, and we just crushed it. I turned off my stereo the entire time because his engine sounded so great on the overrun. After seeing how well I kept up w him, he traded me the lead for the last stretch and I definitely made him work for it. I'd really like to find a print of the both of us in frame.

The Jag is phenomenal on corner entry and mid-corner, so dialed in. If you had told me it was ~200 lbs lighter than mine instead of 1000 heavier, just based on the way it looked as it attacked turn-in and flowed through the transitions, I would have believed it. That engine is a monster though, he had no hope of putting his power down on the exits. I actually did most of my damage on the "straights" by simply being able to hook up earlier.

Best part is the dude had a road bike and far-tire mtn bike on a backrack and was hucking it harder than the guys in Vette's, Camaros, and 911s.

Fastest group of the day (other than a couple solo bikers) was a motorcycle and Civic Si that were almost above my limit. We had a seriously fast run. I'm continually impressed by how well the FWD hot hatches handle that road; they're sooooo confident in the turns. Still can't put the power down like the Miata though.  :praise:

CaminoRacer

That's some nice body roll. I guess I'll take that as proof of your speed.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 30, 2017, 11:25:56 AM
Needs coilovers? :ohyeah:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Tave

I had a huge "oh shit" moment about 5 minutes into the day. :facepalm:

Hit a loose patch of gravel and my outside rear kissed the road edge. Made such an awful noise, at first I thought I scraped the exhaust. Spent a good 1/2 hr hyperventilating and touching every spec of dirt on the rear undercarriage before I was convinced it hadn't hit. I think what happened is the shock topped out while I ran over some debris and/or my inside lip scraped and the diff stopped and/or it was hanging loose and the diff stopped. Alignment seems fine--no vibrations at speed and it tracks straight--but I should probably have it done anyway.

Dodged an expensive bullet. Even more freaky I wasn't on it that hard and had my TC on, just a gnarly bit of gravel.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Tave on July 30, 2017, 11:11:41 AM
Even though I got up there kinda late and my back is killing me this week, I made more passes (5 or 6 round trips) that I had on previous trips. Did some really clean runs with a couple fast groups.

By far the highlight of the day was playing with a red F-type SVR convertible. I saw him at the end of a lap I started from the NC side while he was coming in from TN, flipped around, and caught him before the bridge. We waited for a big gap, he opened his exhaust, and we just crushed it. I turned off my stereo the entire time because his engine sounded so great on the overrun. After seeing how well I kept up w him, he traded me the lead for the last stretch and I definitely made him work for it. I'd really like to find a print of the both of us in frame.

The Jag is phenomenal on corner entry and mid-corner, so dialed in. If you had told me it was ~200 lbs lighter than mine instead of 1000 heavier, just based on the way it looked as it attacked turn-in and flowed through the transitions, I would have believed it. That engine is a monster though, he had no hope of putting his power down on the exits. I actually did most of my damage on the "straights" by simply being able to hook up earlier.

Best part is the dude had a road bike and far-tire mtn bike on a backrack and was hucking it harder than the guys in Vette's, Camaros, and 911s.

Fastest group of the day (other than a couple solo bikers) was a motorcycle and Civic Si that were almost above my limit. We had a seriously fast run. I'm continually impressed by how well the FWD hot hatches handle that road; they're sooooo confident in the turns. Still can't put the power down like the Miata though.  :praise:

luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust        :lol:
Will

Tave

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 30, 2017, 11:25:56 AM

:rockon:

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 30, 2017, 11:34:53 AM
Needs coilovers? :ohyeah:

It comes with Bilstein coilovers in the Cup but evidently they have the same travel/roll issues. I think if you wanted to really flatten it out, you'd need to lower the ride height, put super stiffies on it, or add some form of chassis bracing. Supposedly they fiddled with the rates on the RF and 2017s. I'm kind of curious wether the 2017s sacrifice any ride comfort and if it'll only benefit the RF since it has the extra weight over the rear.