TDI fades into regulatory oblivion; Enter Miata

Started by Tave, February 24, 2013, 02:15:38 PM

Tave

I'm fine with the roll but given that it's my daily, I appreciate that the ride is about as comfortable as they can make it. Plus everything else about the cornering is so neutral--you can dial out any front outside push with steering, breaking, or throttle just depending on the situation.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Rich

When are you going to roll up there again?  I'd like to go on a weekend in september or november. 

Gotta get Sporty out there too
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Tave

No return plans yet but I wouldn't need much convincing.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

68_427

Quote from: Tave on July 30, 2017, 11:11:41 AM

The Jag is phenomenal on corner entry and mid-corner, so dialed in. If you had told me it was ~200 lbs lighter than mine instead of 1000 heavier, just based on the way it looked as it attacked turn-in and flowed through the transitions, I would have believed it. That engine is a monster though, he had no hope of putting his power down on the exits. I actually did most of my damage on the "straights" by simply being able to hook up earlier.

Best part is the dude had a road bike and far-tire mtn bike on a backrack and was hucking it harder than the guys in Vette's, Camaros, and 911s.

Fastest group of the day (other than a couple solo bikers) was a motorcycle and Civic Si that were almost above my limit. We had a seriously fast run. I'm continually impressed by how well the FWD hot hatches handle that road; they're sooooo confident in the turns. Still can't put the power down like the Miata though.  :praise:

F-Type SVR is 4000lbs :lol:

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Tave

Quote from: 68_427 on July 30, 2017, 01:42:22 PM
F-Type SVR is 4000lbs :lol:

Cmon now, that beatiful, amazing, fat British porker isn't a hair over 3,800 pounds.  :lol:

Found it! Was the best I could do, I ran through all the photog websites and couldn't believe only 1 guy tried to get us in frame together. Ended up ordering the two below and a couple solos.

Edit: see below for original images

Tave

Here was another I thought about getting, think the first one is a better pic and obviously shows more of my ride. Dang those bikes are hilarious though.

Tave

Tave

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Makes me so happy to hear someone actually driving their sports car as intended. You and Rich are the real heroes.

There's a guy at my job with a last gen Boxster S.... it's stickshift at least.... but dude drives like an absolute grandma. It's infuriating and depressing
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 31, 2017, 05:42:16 AM
Makes me so happy to hear someone actually driving their sports car as intended. You and Rich are the real heroes.

There's a guy at my job with a last gen Boxster S.... it's stickshift at least.... but dude drives like an absolute grandma. It's infuriating and depressing

Maybe he tracks or autocrosses it on the weekends?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 31, 2017, 05:42:16 AM

Aren't you the one who chastises people for driving at unsafe speeds on the road?  ;)

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on July 31, 2017, 07:04:59 AM
Aren't you the one who chastises people for driving at unsafe speeds on the road?  ;)

Yeah, but to be fair he's also the one that has on throttle oversteer issues on his family sedan.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Raza  on July 31, 2017, 07:04:59 AM

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 31, 2017, 08:14:48 AM
Yeah, but to be fair he's also the one that has on throttle oversteer issues on his family sedan.

FoMoJo

So this Dragon place, they close the road off or what?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on July 31, 2017, 06:31:13 AM
Maybe he tracks or autocrosses it on the weekends?
I doubt it. I know some weekend warriors here. They drive like it
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Tave

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 31, 2017, 11:25:08 AM

Nope. And it can get pretty hairy with so many blind turns. There are plenty of cut-offs to yield to faster traffic, but the most important part of driving it is lane discipline. You can't take any chances with the inside line.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Tave on July 31, 2017, 11:42:06 AM
Nope. And it can get pretty hairy with so many blind turns. There are plenty of cut-offs to yield to faster traffic, but the most important part of driving it is lane discipline. You can't take any chances with the inside line.
You run into many sightseers? People just poking along?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 31, 2017, 11:25:08 AM

There are plenty of videos of shenanigans. YouTube search for something like "tail of dragon motorcycle crashes" or whatever and I'm sure there's some entertainment...

Another great curve driving road is the canyon between Logan, UT and Bear Lake UT. Problem is that it's got really good sight distance, and huge shoulders, so doesn't seem as intense.
Will

Tave

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 31, 2017, 12:28:34 PM
You run into many sightseers? People just poking along?

Yeah, plenty of blue hairs in Park Avenues and RVs, most of them are considerate and will yield. You do run into oblivious a-holes that won't pull over, but the cut-offs also allow you to let gaps build.

The motorcyclists tend to be pretty quick, but I caught a pack of Harleys this weekend that were agonizingly slow.

Tave

Whenever I drive the Dragon it's like a revelation mixed w therapy.

Everytime I'm tempted to rethink my purchase--really, WTF am I doing at 6'4", driving 20K miles/year for work, with a Miata for a DD--I just remind myself how many smiles per dollar I generate and I can't think of a better car, period.

I'm not the fastest guy up there or the coolest car by a long shot, but damnit if I'm not nipping at the heels of the speed demons and letting out some of the biggest "Wooooooooooo's!" I hear all day.

Forgot to mention I caught up with a powder-blue, super clean S2000 hardtop tagged for NY outside of Asheville and saw them 10+ times the rest of the day waving at me. Really bummed we didn't get a chance to run together.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Tave

Quote from: Laconian on July 31, 2017, 05:17:18 PM
I wish I had a road like that nearby. :facepalm:

Oh poor you, you only have like the entire Olympic peninsula that hardly anyone drives.  :lol:

There's gotta be some good back roads in the Cascades too.

I always thought the prettiest stretch of interstate in the US was that drive from Seattle to the San Juans.

Side note: mini-Seattle-vaca 3rd weekend in August and thinking about surprising the lady friend w a fast car and night-trip to Friday Harbor.

Laconian

The Olympic peninsula is pretty bereft of roads (that nat'l park is huge!) There are scenic drives to be had for sure, but they're generally neither fast nor twisty.

I think my favorite road through the Cascades is Hwy 20. I-90 is boring in that it's wide, fast, and fairly straight. Central/eastern WA isn't really interesting to drive in either, unless you like endless rolling brown hills and sunburns. :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Tave on July 31, 2017, 05:04:42 PM
-I just remind myself how many smiles per dollar I generate and I can't think of a better car, period.

I'm not the fastest guy up there or the coolest car by a long shot, but damnit if I'm not nipping at the heels of the speed demons and letting out some of the biggest "Wooooooooooo's!" I hear all day.

The guys at work snicker when I say "Miata". But I agree, even if my experience was just a 7month stint in a 19yr old bone-stock but repaired so it had 3 different body colors underneath NA ....
Will

Rich

Quote from: Laconian on July 31, 2017, 05:17:18 PM
I wish I had a road like that nearby. :facepalm:

How long of a drive is it for you to get to Astoria/Portland?

Those driving roads were even better than the dragon, IMO.  So much fun
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Laconian

Cookie Monster

I want to drive/ride the Dragon at some point.

Access to amazing roads is what keeps me here, tbh.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MX793

Quote from: Rich on July 31, 2017, 06:02:00 PM
How long of a drive is it for you to get to Astoria/Portland?

Those driving roads were even better than the dragon, IMO.  So much fun

The Dragon is the one everybody knows about and visits, but there are a ton of other great roads in the same vicinity without the tourist appeal (or crowds).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: Tave on July 31, 2017, 05:04:42 PM
Whenever I drive the Dragon it's like a revelation mixed w therapy.

Everytime I'm tempted to rethink my purchase--really, WTF am I doing at 6'4", driving 20K miles/year for work, with a Miata for a DD--I just remind myself how many smiles per dollar I generate and I can't think of a better car, period.

It's the way to be, brother. Who needs four seats to drive themselves around alone everyday? I smile every time I get behind the wheel.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i