Audi Q5 v BMW X3

Started by Catman, March 09, 2013, 01:15:08 PM

Catman

We test drove these two in their 4 cylinder variants.  The Audi saleman asked my wife, "So, what's the one thing you like about your Maxima?".  "I like my heated steering wheel".  Salesman replies, "Ooooo, yeah, that's the only option we can't get in the Q5".  LOL

Anyway, the Q5 is a nicer package overall.  The interior had better materials overall and the power delivery was smoother and, at least to my wife, felt a little more powerful than the BMW.  The BMW felt like it lacked the quality heft of the Audi.  The Audi dealer seems to want to option out the Q5 until they are priced too high, I might look at a dealer with a bigger inventory when we're ready.

We're not buying yet but still looking around.  Small luxury SUV's is what she wants.  Might not bother with Lexus as there's no dealer close by and the Infiniti EX is tiny inside.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Catman

She doesn't like Volvos but maybe we can look

cawimmer430

Quote from: Catman on March 09, 2013, 01:15:08 PM
The Audi saleman asked my wife, "So, what's the one thing you like about your Maxima?".  "I like my heated steering wheel".  Salesman replies, "Ooooo, yeah, that's the only option we can't get in the Q5".  LOL

It's probably a $ 15,000 option. You know, German cars...  :ohyeah:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Catman

Yes, if it was up to me I wouldn't be paying 45 grand for a car.

AltinD

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

AltinD

My friend just got a S-Line Q5 (2.0T) .... niiiiiiiiiiiiice

Catman

Quote from: AltinD on March 09, 2013, 05:31:07 PM
My friend just got a S-Line Q5 (2.0T) .... niiiiiiiiiiiiice

No question its a nice vehicle

cawimmer430

Why not just get a 1974 Ford LTD? I'm sure it has a heated steering wheel as standard.  :praise:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ifcar

Are you also looking at the X1, or is that too small?

veeman

Q5 and X3 are both perfect combination of luxury, size, and nimbleness.  Also, unlike the lexus rx, i wouldn't be embarassed to drive one. 

CJ

I actually like the new RX.  The F-Sport looks pretty decent and the seats seem wonderful.

TurboDan

Tiguan SEL? All the bells the whistles and a few grand less. That's what my mom ended up with.

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Catman

RDX looks like a good value maybe we can try one though she does not like Honda.

CJ

I wouldn't even glance at an RDX. The interior's just not nice enough.  It's all standard Honda but marginally nicer.

GoCougs

Tiguan is great though it doesn't have the brand panache.

In this price/class I'd be looking at the new RDX or a used RX (still expensive though - ouch).

Catman

Quote from: CJ on March 10, 2013, 10:28:24 PM
I wouldn't even glance at an RDX. The interior's just not nice enough.  It's all standard Honda but marginally nicer.

I noticed.  The BMW is a bit stark as well. No one beats Audi on the interior.

Galaxy

How is a Touareg priced in the US, compared to the Q5?

Raza

My one question for everyone looking at the Q5 is "why not consider the Tiguan?"  The interior might not be as nice as the Audi's but I bet the options packs are similar and I'd also wager that the interior is nicer than the BMW's.  And unless I'm mistaken, they're the same car mechanically.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Catman

Quote from: Raza  on March 11, 2013, 09:15:01 AM
My one question for everyone looking at the Q5 is "why not consider the Tiguan?"  The interior might not be as nice as the Audi's but I bet the options packs are similar and I'd also wager that the interior is nicer than the BMW's.  And unless I'm mistaken, they're the same car mechanically.

Not sure I like the styling but let me check it out.

CALL_911

Quote from: Raza  on March 11, 2013, 09:15:01 AM

The Tiguan is on the A platform. Q5 is on the B.

I second Galaxy with his Touareg suggestion.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

Hell, I don't get the hate for the RX. Its bland and not terribly good looking, but for a luxo-ute for my wife, I'd totally go for one. Well made, comfortable, powerful, luxurious. Its not like the Q5 and X3 are that exciting either.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 11, 2013, 10:29:24 AM
The Tiguan is on the A platform. Q5 is on the B.

I second Galaxy with his Touareg suggestion.

Oh, did not realize it was built off the A4 platform.  Still, the Tig is worth checking out. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

veeman

the cars you've initially test driven are the best there is to offer in that size range.  the tiguan and rdx are going to feel noticeably inferior.  the touareg is noticeably larger and not as agile.  the lexus rx is the quintessential woman's car.  cabin is nice, the ride is probably softer and quieter, but again its not as agile.  another option is the cadillac srx, which is similar to the lexus rx.  the srx is more the size of the touareg however.

if the x3 and q5 suit your backseat and cargo needs (not a ton of room due to relatively smaller dimensions), i'd suggest testing the lexus rx for a different take on driving.  less road feel but better ride.  if she likes the rx, then i'd suggest also testing the cadillac. 

i like the look of the mercedes glk but i don't think it compares well with the x3 and q5.   

r0tor

The tig  seemed way small when I drove it... Wasn't a fan
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Catman

Tiguan is smaller in every dimension and its kind of ugly. She wants the q5 and has wanted an Audi for as long as I can remember. So I just need to pay off the CX9 which won't take long and we will get one.

AltinD

Quote from: Galaxy on March 11, 2013, 07:10:22 AM
How is a Touareg priced in the US, compared to the Q5?

I am not sure if they are still selling it in USA ... last I read they were just moving a couple of thousands a year, which is a total shame for such a nice vehicle :(

AltinD

Quote from: TurboDan on March 09, 2013, 11:32:19 PM
Tiguan SEL? All the bells the whistles and a few grand less. That's what my mom ended up with.

I will take a Passat (not the US model) over a A4, the GTI over the A3, but I would not recommend the Tiguan to anyone, certainly not to those looking at the Q5