manual modulation of stability control on/off switch

Started by veeman, March 19, 2013, 06:06:46 AM

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 20, 2013, 07:30:30 AM
This is completely false.

It is sometimes needed to spin the wheels in snow, to both claw your way to more solid stuff and to spin the tires fast enough that they clean themselves off.

times a billion.

Speed_Racer

I wouldn't mind the option of traction control on my motorcycle, or an adjustable throttle map for those wet days.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 20, 2013, 07:30:30 AM
This is completely false.

It is sometimes needed to spin the wheels in snow, to both claw your way to more solid stuff and to spin the tires fast enough that they clean themselves off.

Or you just dig yourself into a hole and get more stuck.

Like I said, I've just never been in a situation where my particular car was better with TC off in the snow. Maybe you guys just have.crappy systems. :devil:

I've been on ice with 1/100 the amount of traction of a dry road and with TC off you just spin the tires. With TC on it will start to crawl after a few seconds and then you can give it a little gas to go faster.

Another example. Went to a frienda house who had a gravel driveway covered with snow/ice. Could get 10 feet up the driveway with TC magic, only 5 feet without it. Would end up spinning the tires and then start sliding backwards.

GoCougs

I've put a lot of snow miles on cars with TC and I've found TC to universally suck in snow/ice when starting out, buried, or going really slow. It simply doesn't allow enough (any) wheels spin. TC systems specifically designed for such situations are rumored to work well (and they work well by allowing a fair measure of wheel spin) but they're usually only on the hardcore off-road rigs like a Discovery or FJ Cruiser.

Northlands

Add my post to the pile of people saying TC doesn't do shit when you are stuck in snow. Tire spin is essential. Pedal modulation via the human foot is the best way.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 20, 2013, 12:38:17 PM

Like I said, I've just never been in a situation where my particular car was better with TC off in the snow. Maybe you guys just have.crappy systems. :devil:

I've been on ice with 1/100 the amount of traction of a dry road and with TC off you just spin the tires. With TC on it will start to crawl after a few seconds and then you can give it a little gas to go faster.

Another example. Went to a frienda house who had a gravel driveway covered with snow/ice. Could get 10 feet up the driveway with TC magic, only 5 feet without it. Would end up spinning the tires and then start sliding backwards.

Or, maybe it's you that's the crappy part of the equation.

I mean, you've repeatedly been confused about the difference between snow and ice...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MrH

Sounds like you just don't know how to drive :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Cookie Monster

I probably have the least amount of snow driving skill/experience here, but when the MDX got snowed in one night when we went skiing, I was able to rock it out with a lot of wheelspin. I think TC would've just left me stuck there.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

ifcar

But with traction control, giving the car gas when the wheels are spinning has no effect because it works by cutting power. It's not doing anything you can't duplicate, but it takes away your ability to get power and spinning that is valuable.

SVT666

Quote from: thecarnut on March 20, 2013, 02:50:05 PM
I probably have the least amount of snow driving skill/experience here, but when the MDX got snowed in one night when we went skiing, I was able to rock it out with a lot of wheelspin. I think TC would've just left me stuck there.
Don't "think"...."know".

r0tor

I drove a rwd sporty car for 7 wintets in the snow and never had problems with traction or stability control.  Actually, it probably saved my ass a handful of times.  On slick uphills I use to just floor the gas and let the tc limit the throttle to the point where you had the most traction and let the stability control take care of the wagging tail... no problems
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

Quote from: r0tor on March 20, 2013, 06:58:03 PM
I drove a rwd sporty car for 7 wintets in the snow and never had problems with traction or stability control.  Actually, it probably saved my ass a handful of times.  On slick uphills I use to just floor the gas and let the tc limit the throttle to the point where you had the most traction and let the stability control take care of the wagging tail... no problems
Ice and snow are two very different things.

hotrodalex

Quote from: ifcar on March 20, 2013, 03:15:34 PM
But with traction control, giving the car gas when the wheels are spinning has no effect because it works by cutting power. It's not doing anything you can't duplicate, but it takes away your ability to get power and spinning that is valuable.

I have no ability to brake individual wheels in quick bursts like TC can. And I've had TC off plenty of times when doing donuts in a parking lot. Much easier to get going with TC on. Spinning tires to clear an area should be the last resort.

Antecedent #3: guy in a Mustang got stuck in front of my house in half a foot of snow and couldn't get out because he refused to do anything but spin the tires. Tried digging him out, but he'd just get stuck immediately after getting out. Also tried putting carpet underneath for traction, but again he would just end up spinning the tires and get stuck once he got off the carpet. Ended up having to be pulled out with a neighbor's truck.

I'm sure turning off TC could help in some situations, but that doesn't mean it's always the best method.

SVT666

Traction control helps about as much as just mindlessly flooring it.

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on March 20, 2013, 11:26:53 PM
Traction control helps about as much as just mindlessly flooring it.

Seriously do your guys' traction control just lock the brakes for an hour every time you spin a tire? That's what you're acting like...

hotrodalex

Quote from: MrH on March 20, 2013, 02:49:28 PM
Sounds like you just don't know how to drive :lol:

I learned to drive in a car without any electronic nannies and never got stuck. And I'm a much better snow driver now than I was then.

In my car, if I leave TC on I can take off fairly normally, maybe a slight delay once or twice. If I turn it off, it takes me about twice as long to get going. This is in snow, ice, whatever.

2o6

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: MrH on March 21, 2013, 10:07:56 AM
:lol: +1

I'm half serious here. He gets like 1/3 the snow and ice Cleveland and Akron does, and CAK in turn only gets roughly 1/2 some of what you guys get.

AutobahnSHO

seen only a couple of flakes this year.  I live on the TN/KY border.
Will

hotrodalex

Quote from: 2o6 on March 21, 2013, 10:21:39 AM
I'm half serious here. He gets like 1/3 the snow and ice Cleveland and Akron does, and CAK in turn only gets roughly 1/2 some of what you guys get.

Yeah, I've never actually seen snow.

2o6

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 21, 2013, 08:00:56 PM
Yeah, I've never actually seen snow.

STFU. You get like an inch or so and now you're a fucking genius at everything. I know you mean well, but sometimes your posts read that way.

hotrodalex

Quote from: 2o6 on March 21, 2013, 08:01:52 PM
STFU. You get like an inch or so and now you're a fucking genius at everything. I know you mean well, but sometimes your posts read that way.

Well this is ironic.

mzziaz

I only turn it off when I'm stuck. In my previous car I sometimes had to turn it off going uphill, but that was a first gen TC only system.

You guys must have shitty ESP systems, or rather shitty tires.
Cuore Sportivo

Rupert

In deep snow, spinning tires might be the only thing keeping you going. In shallow snow and on ice, spinning tires might just be spinning tires, and traction control only helps. Alex, have you ever driven through un-iced snow up to the sills of the car?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hotrodalex

Quote from: Rupert on March 22, 2013, 01:32:50 AM
In deep snow, spinning tires might be the only thing keeping you going. In shallow snow and on ice, spinning tires might just be spinning tires, and traction control only helps. Alex, have you ever driven through un-iced snow up to the sills of the car?

A couple times for short distances, don't think I ever bothered turning TC off (didn't get stuck)

Although I doubt most people here who are claiming to be better than traction control constantly drive through those conditions. Seems like it's been way overstated the amount the TC really sucks in the snow. For the average situation and average driver, keeping traction control on is the smartest option. Only when you actually get stuck and it's hindering motion does it make sense to turn it off. To do otherwise just seems like an ego booster.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 22, 2013, 01:51:44 AM
Seems like it's been way overstated the amount the TC really sucks in the snow. .

nah- the car using brakes when you're trying to move Forward really sucks.
Will

SVT666

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 22, 2013, 01:51:44 AM
Only when you actually get stuck and it's hindering motion does it make sense to turn it off. To do otherwise just seems like an ego booster.
You couldn't be more wrong.  Waiting to get stuck before turning it off doesn't really help.  Once you've stopped moving in deep snow, you're pretty much fucked.  Unless you actually drive in snow on a regular basis you have no idea.  TC works on ice, but in snow it sucks ass.

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on March 22, 2013, 10:32:17 AM
You couldn't be more wrong.  Waiting to get stuck before turning it off doesn't really help.  Once you've stopped moving in deep snow, you're pretty much fucked.  Unless you actually drive in snow on a regular basis you have no idea.  TC works on ice, but in snow it sucks ass.

I worded that badly. Should have just said when it starts hindering your motion.

SVT666

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 22, 2013, 10:42:34 AM
I worded that badly. Should have just said when it starts hindering your motion.
It's better just to turn it off so your motion isn't hindered, since it can happen pretty quickly.