manual modulation of stability control on/off switch

Started by veeman, March 19, 2013, 06:06:46 AM

veeman

yesterday night had to get to work in the middle of a snowstorm.  since the temp was hovering around 31-32 degrees, mixture of snow, sleet, and freezing rain.  cars were skidding all over the place. 

what i learned a few years ago because i couldn't get up a hill in the snow was that you have to manually turn off your stability control so that your tires can spin until they gain traction.

yesterday, starting at every traffic light, i had to manually turn off the stability control.  also, on the highway, i had to continually fiddle with the button in order to gain any traction whenever the highway had even a slight incline.

my question is, do you just turn off the stability control the whole time you're driving in such weather or do you only turn it off when at a stop or going uphill?  also, do you have to do this in an all-wheel drive vehicle?

Soup DeVille

The Lincoln's I used to drive were horrible for that; traction control made it useless. I recently drove a land rover with a snow/ice mode and it was bloody brilliant; so I guess my answer is "it depends"

On most cars though, once I turn it off, I leave it off. None of my current vehicles have stability or traction control on them either.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

VTEC_Inside

Ugh, I got stuck good once because of traction control. That was an '02 Accord though which used the brakes quite a bit to limit wheelspin, thing braked me right into a rut.

The newer systems seem quite a bit better though. The gfs 2012 Civic still allows a little bit of spin.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

SVT666

When there is snow on the road I turn the traction control off as soon as I get in the car and leave it off.

CALL_911

Quote from: SVT666 on March 19, 2013, 09:12:43 AM
When there is snow on the road I turn the traction control off as soon as I get in the car and leave it off.

Same

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

Are we talking about stability control or traction control? Because they are not the same thing.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

hotrodalex

BMW's system is pretty good so I leave it on unless I want to have some fun.

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on March 19, 2013, 11:17:00 AM
Are we talking about stability control or traction control? Because they are not the same thing.

+1.  I usually turn off traction control if I'm having a hard time getting going in the snow.  Stability control goes off when I want to have fun.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SVT666

Quote from: Laconian on March 19, 2013, 11:17:00 AM
They are on our cars.  The VDC button turns both on or off at the same time.

Raza

E320:  Off when dry, on when wet or snow, switch as necessary in snow (ESP and TC integrated)
Passat:  Always off (TC, no ESP)
Jetta:  Always off (ESP and TC integrated)
Z4:  Generally on, don't drive in snow because you'll die

When I drove my brother's S4 in snow, I didn't turn it off and the light didn't flash once.  I'd imagine there are situations where it might be necessary, but I haven't seen it yet.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: MrH on March 19, 2013, 11:42:54 AM
+1.  I usually turn off traction control if I'm having a hard time getting going in the snow.  Stability control goes off when I want to have fun.

I think in the majority of cars, ESP and TC are integrated into one button. Most don't have two separate buttons. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CALL_911

Quote from: Raza  on March 19, 2013, 01:44:14 PM
E320:  Off when dry, on when wet or snow, switch as necessary in snow (ESP and TC integrated)
Passat:  Always off (TC, no ESP)
Jetta:  Always off (ESP and TC integrated)
Z4:  Generally on, don't drive in snow because you'll die

When I drove my brother's S4 in snow, I didn't turn it off and the light didn't flash once.  I'd imagine there are situations where it might be necessary, but I haven't seen it yet.

What the fuck are you doing in the dry to necessitate turning TC+ESP off on a daily basis?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  on March 19, 2013, 01:45:49 PM
I think in the majority of cars, ESP and TC are integrated into one button. Most don't have two separate buttons. 

On most, you can turn off traction control -- for precisely this reason -- but not stability control.

GoCougs

Yes, on the G37 one button controls both stability and traction control (and even then neither can be fully defeated it seems).

As to driving in snow I keep it on save for starting out when slick or buried. I've found stability control to be a moderate advantage to safe driving in snow.

MrH

Most are integrated into one button, but pressing it will just deactivate TC.  That's how it is on the BRZ and was on the miata too (at least that's how I remember it).  Press and hold the button for 5 seconds to disable TC and DSC.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MX793

Quote from: SVT666 on March 19, 2013, 12:09:26 PM
They are on our cars.  The VDC button turns both on or off at the same time.

On my Mustang, you can turn them off independently.  Push the TCS/ESC button once to kill the TCS.  Push and hold (while stopped) to kill both TCS and ESC.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on March 19, 2013, 02:08:18 PM
Yes, on the G37 one button controls both stability and traction control (and even then neither can be fully defeated it seems).
The AWD with the Active Brake Limited Slip is why it feels like TC is still on.

AltinD

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Speed_Racer

I just leave mine on all the time, because a) I never notice it and b) I'm not doing the kind of driving that necessitates turning it off. If I screw up so bad that ESC kicks in, I'm gonna need it to save me from my stupid self.

AutobahnSHO

buy a 1997. Problem solved. ;)

I can see stability control being cool, but traction control in an AWD seems 100% unecessary.
Will

hotrodalex

Quote from: MrH on March 19, 2013, 11:42:54 AM

If my traction control can't get me going in snow, there's no way I'm going to be able to do it with just my right foot.

Might be different with a manual transmission, but I haven't driven any stickshift cars with TC.

ifcar

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 19, 2013, 09:22:12 PM
If my traction control can't get me going in snow, there's no way I'm going to be able to do it with just my right foot.

Might be different with a manual transmission, but I haven't driven any stickshift cars with TC.

Traction control works by cutting power when the wheels slip. Sometimes you need that power, or to control when you have it.

SVT666

No.  If your TC slows your tires down and they get bogged down, then you're stuck. In snow you need to keep your tires spinning to avoid getting stuck.

Cookie Monster

I've never had much experience driving any cars with TC/stability control. My mom's car has it but I rarely drive that. My dad's MDX is an '02 and I believe that was the only year it wasn't offered on MDX's (first year).
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on March 19, 2013, 10:05:37 PM
No.  If your TC slows your tires down and they get bogged down, then you're stuck. In snow you need to keep your tires spinning to avoid getting stuck.

Oh, are you talking about when you're already moving? I've never had an issue with that, TC on or off.

Thought you meant taking off from a stop, in which case my TC is a much better option than trying to feather the gas pedal.

MX793

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 20, 2013, 12:19:15 AM
Oh, are you talking about when you're already moving? I've never had an issue with that, TC on or off.

Thought you meant taking off from a stop, in which case my TC is a much better option than trying to feather the gas pedal.

On really slick surfaces, like ice, the TC can prevent you from being able to get moving from a stop.  A lot of systems tell you to turn it off in such conditions.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

68_427

Don't have it.  AWD and no stability control works great
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

veeman

thanks for all the replies!

yes previous posters are right that it's not the stability control i'm turning off, it's the traction control.  maybe the button is turning off both?  since my car (2007 sonata) is the antithesis of anything even remotely resembling sporty, i doubt the car has capability to turn off the stability control but not the traction control. 

i love having the stability control.  i've had two especially harrowing incidences in my life regarding this prior to the advent of stability control.  in an 89 dodge daytona i did a 180 on a rain soaked local fast moving traffic bidirectional road during morning rush hour ending up in the oncoming lane and by luck no one was in the opposite lane.  in a mid 90s taurus i ended up sliding 300 feet down a 45 degree downward slope highway rain soaked onramp embankment, finally stopping at the bottom of the grassy embankment after hitting a tree.  if i had been in an explorer or cherokee, i would have likely flipped.  in both cases, i was going too fast but not crazy fast and my tires had low tread.  since i've owned my own cars, i damn make sure my tires have good tread and that there are no mismatched tires.  wife gets mildly irritated because i'm spending 600 - 1000 bucks on both cars each every 50,000 miles for new tires but totally worth it.  you immediately can tell the difference.   

veeman

regarding the traction control, in my sonata, i will get nowhere in the snow with it on.  absolutely nowhere.  may be a totally incompetent bunch of engineers designed it because, especially to a non-enthusiast, it's not apparent you have to disable it.  the button is out of the way below and to the right of the steering column and there is no way an inexperienced driver would know what to do.  it's got a fairly powerful 235 horsepower engine.  when the roads are slick, traffic is slow, and there is slushy snow stuck to your tires turning them essentially bald, you will go nowhere.  you'll start sliding down hills going in reverse because as you slam or feather the accelerator, the traction control detects they are spinning (no shit) and will cut power to them.  the car starts behaving like a donkey that won't move no matter how hard you whip its ass. turn off the traction control, the tires spin like a high speed laboratory centrifuge, all the stuck snow on your tires gets disintegrated by the intense heat and friction, and the car starts behaving properly.  maybe the traction control is useful if only one of the front tires is spinning, because it'll redirect power to the other front tire.  but in slushy unplowed roads, obviously both front tires are going to be equally impaired.  when i see these newer sedans stuck in the middle of roads usually where there's a slight incline, with other sedans going right around them, i just know the driver doesn't know to turn off their traction control.

Soup DeVille

This is completely false.

It is sometimes needed to spin the wheels in snow, to both claw your way to more solid stuff and to spin the tires fast enough that they clean themselves off.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator