Volvo V60 will now be sold in US

Started by Yawn, March 29, 2013, 08:44:14 AM

Yawn

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/03/volvo-confirms-v60-sports-wagon-for-us.html

I think Volvo management is completely scattered. Whats next? I wouldnt be surprised if the S40/V50 will return.

Atomic

It makes a lot of sense based on the huge success of past Volvo wagons, even when other companies were struggling selling them. I still like the XC70 but there are people out there missing the V70 and I think this should satisfy them and appeal to others, as well. 

Yawn

The V70 was a horrible design as well.. It was way too fat and wide compared to the typical Volvo Wagon..

Atomic

Quote from: Yawn on March 29, 2013, 10:03:48 AM
The V70 was a horrible design as well.. It was way too fat and wide compared to the typical Volvo Wagon..

I really like the current S60 so I think I will embrace the V60 as well. It looks great, especially in blue and metallic red. I saw the wagon in red on the web earlier today. I think it was in an article covering the NY Auto Show.

Yawn

CALL_911

The center stack looks like a cyclops.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Atomic

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 29, 2013, 12:56:34 PM
The center stack looks like a cyclops.

^Yet very easy to get used to if not all that different from my '13 XC60 -- design wise, it seems to float. Everything is very intuitive but not unlike that of most European vehicles, Volvo had an unnecessarily complex navigation system. Honda-Acura has the best Navi's out of all factory installed systems from my experience, but an aftermarket Garmin is the next best thing. Hopefully, Volvo addressed its navigation complexity design, yet it's better than some.

UPDATE, 02/10/2014: The NAVI on all Volvo models is greatly improved across the board. In fact, I'd say one of the best in the business. The MY15 models are improved upon in many ways, thus I am assuming the navigation will only get even better than its '14 fix.

Colin

Quote from: Yawn on March 29, 2013, 08:44:14 AM
http://www.carscoops.com/2013/03/volvo-confirms-v60-sports-wagon-for-us.html

I wouldnt be surprised if the S40/V50 will return.
I would...... production ceased last year.

They may decide to offer you guys the new V40, if you are very lucky and promise actually to buy it, rather than the usual trick of moaning about cars you don't get and then no-one actually buys!

Atomic

2014-MY Volvo V60 T6 AWD R-Design Shown in N/C Passion Red (R-Design Exclusive Color): Photograph Taken at the 2013 New York NAIAS, New York, NY

Atomic

Atomic

Quote from: Colin on March 31, 2013, 08:01:31 PM
I would...... production ceased last year.

They may decide to offer you guys the new V40, if you are very lucky and promise actually to buy it, rather than the usual trick of moaning about cars you don't get and then no-one actually buys!

A 2014-MY Volvo V40 is said to be undergoing testing here in NA and reportedly has been spotted just recently. I am not truly certain if the "spy photo" directly above depicts the V40 where currently sold or nearly in either the U.S. or Canada. Anyway, Colin, my dealer claims more models are apart of Volvo's plan for America and perhaps our good neighbors in Canada but to expect staggered introductions. That would certainly makes perfect sense especially with the V60 coming in December of this year and nearly every Volvo freshened for MY14.

I think there is an all new Volvo XC40 crossover already on sale in Europe but so far, there has been no word on whether this more rugged variant of the V40 wagon will cross the pond. I will research its existence for sure and keep my eyes and ears open of it reaching these shores in the not-so-distant future.

Atomic

Car News ยป 2014 Volvo V40 Cross Country Takes Aim At Subaru XV CrossTrek

2014 Volvo V40 Cross Country Takes Aim At Subaru XV CrossTrek

Tony Pimpo | Sep 19, 2012

There a few things Volvo is really known for: safety, wagons and hatchbacks. Exciting combination? Maybe not, but it has been getting a whole lot more exciting lately. Volvo is spicing things up further with the addition of the 2014 Volvo V40 Cross Country today. Over the past few weeks we've seen the 2014 Volvo V40 R-Design and special edition models like the C30 Polestar debut.

The V40 R-Design only improves on what was already the company's most stylish hatchback ever. Unfortunately (and we've really been driving this point home) the V40 isn't slated for sale in the United States. We'll just keep saying it until they decide to do something about it. The V40 Cross Country comes as an extension of Volvo's strength in off-road wagons with the XC70.

Here in the U.S, the XC 70 has a fiercely loyal following, not dissimilar to Subaru and the Outback. As a big, luxury, off-road capable wagon the XC 70 is one-of-a-kind. Volvo is hoping to replicate that success with the V40 Cross Country. Its competitors are other small CUVs, and a direct target is the Subaru XV CrossTrek (although it isn't as luxurious).

Visually the car gets more aggressive front and rear bumpers with plastic cladding, a raised ride height, roof rails, contrasting side sills and a skid plate. Volvo say it has been designed for "those who want a sense of adventure in their everyday life." Practically, the V40 Cross Country adds an all-wheel drive system when paired with a T5 engine. The v40 has a plethora of engine options, but the one you really care about is the 2.5-liter turbocharged five-cylinder. The V40 Cross Country has the right combination of extra ruggedness, style and fuel-efficiency. With it we could see Volvo establishing itself in yet another niche market. The company hasn't weighed in on whether the Cross Country will be sold here, but it isn't a no as far as we've heard. If it happens it would sure aggravate many who want the V40 over here in standard guise.

OTHER VOLVO NEWS

2013 Volvo V40 Adds R-Design Package - And You Can't Have It  :cry:

2013 Volvo V40 Gets Top Safety Marks by EuroNCAP

Atomic

2013-MY Volvo V40 (Sold in Europe)

2013-MY Volvo V40 Cross Country (std. AWD), a.k.a. XC40, but NOT officially called "XC40" for 2013 as initially thought pre-introduction... For MY14? (Sold in Europe)

BENZ BOY15

The V60 was very nice...the interior is especially cool.

Atomic

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on April 14, 2013, 12:39:01 PM
The V60 was very nice...the interior is especially cool.

I agree, Joe, and lots of room, too.

Char

I'm sure a lot of (soon to be?) married same sex couples are very happy about this news.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

TurboDan

Quote from: Char on April 17, 2013, 04:42:29 PM
I'm sure a lot of (soon to be?) married same sex couples are very happy about this news.

Lots of suburban housewives in the northeast and mid-Atlantic as well ;)

CALL_911

Quote from: TurboDan on April 17, 2013, 11:59:29 PM
Lots of suburban housewives in the northeast and mid-Atlantic as well ;)

Probably not, considering they've all bought their RXs and Q5s, and are probably thrilled with them.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

cawimmer430

Why sell a roomy and efficient Volvo V60 when you can buy a massive 11 mpg Volvo XC90 V8?  :golfclap:  :praise:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Yawn

Raza

These new bubbly shapes don't work that well as wagons.  I prefer the old V70's shape. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Atomic

From the spy pics (no, not just the ones disguised to look like the XC70 and V70 wagons) I've seen and subsequent company teaser shots, the upcoming and far more fuel efficient XC90 should look more like a modern interpretation of the boxier styled Volvo's of yore. One reason for this configuration is for compactly sake. How else can they design a vehicle to seat up to eight in "so called" comfort and carry all of their travel gear :huh:

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: Atomic on April 14, 2013, 09:00:38 AM

2014-MY Volvo V60 T6 AWD R-Design Shown in N/C Passion Red (R-Design Exclusive Color): Photograph Taken at the 2013 New York NAIAS, New York, NY

It's a really nice car and it felt great inside....it also looks better in person. It's a nice size as well but it's also relatively roomy on the inside.

Laconian

I'm going to push for a V60 test drive.

But oh my god. Volvo has fallen for the same sickness that has afflicted BMW and Mercedes. "T5" doesn't mean turbocharged 5 cylinder. "T5" = turbo 4. "T5 AWD" = turbo 5. God people are stupid.
http://www.volvocars.com/us/all-cars/volvo-v60/details/pages/default.aspx

Catman

I want a wagon for my next vehicle mostly because my wife hates them.

Laconian

$39875 MSRP with xenon, parking camera, heated seats and auto climate control, but leatherette (no leather option?)

Not terrrrrrrrrrrible? The TSX was a few thousand less but :huh:

Catman

Quote from: Laconian on February 06, 2014, 06:22:28 PM
$39875 MSRP with xenon, parking camera, heated seats and auto climate control, but leatherette (no leather option?)

Not terrrrrrrrrrrible? The TSX was a few thousand less but :huh:

Yeah, still a lot for a rather small car and I really don't want to spend that kind of dough.  I am really interested in the forthcoming 2015 VW Sportwagon and the Alltrac version.

Laconian

Small car? You're not Shaq..

VW Jetta SW TDI is on my list as well.

Catman

Quote from: Laconian on February 06, 2014, 06:26:27 PM
Small car? You're not Shaq..

VW Jetta SW TDI is on my list as well.

I don't think its small as in too small for me but for the money....  As long as I can get a couple hockey bags in the back I am good.