Pulled over for seatbelt violation

Started by Mustangfan2003, May 22, 2013, 06:27:40 PM

Mustangfan2003

But the funny thing is I had my seatbelt on the whole time.  My car has black interior and I wore a suit today.  It was a campus cop that got me out of all cops.  I just got a warning.  I said I ha.  d my belt on the whole time.  He mumbled something I said whatever and drove off.  Gee the ads say these guys are trained for this.

TurboDan

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on May 22, 2013, 06:27:40 PM
But the funny thing is I had my seatbelt on the whole time.  My car has black interior and I wore a suit today.  It was a campus cop that got me out of all cops.  I just got a warning.  I said I ha.  d my belt on the whole time.  He mumbled something I said whatever and drove off.  Gee the ads say these guys are trained for this.

He was probably using it as (presumed) PC to see if your were driving drunk.

Mustangfan2003

I don't see why it matters to a campus cop.  Stick to going after jaywalkers and drunk freshmen and leave the traffic violations to the real police.

MaxPower

Quote from: TurboDan on May 23, 2013, 02:34:05 AM
He was probably using it as (presumed) PC to see if your were driving drunk.
Or maybe because the cop didn't see his seatbelt on?

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: MaxPower on May 23, 2013, 05:08:22 PM

Black suit on with a black seat belt.  Guess he had too much pride to admit he was mistaken. 

cawimmer430

Isn't your dad a cop? Tell him "one of his buddies" was harassing you!  :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

TurboDan

Quote from: MaxPower on May 23, 2013, 05:08:22 PM

Depends on the hour/day of the week. If it's a Wednesday at 1 p.m., you have a point. If it's Saturday at 2:30 a.m., you know it's PC for some fishin'. ;)

bing_oh

Quote from: TurboDan on June 01, 2013, 01:00:27 AMDepends on the hour/day of the week. If it's a Wednesday at 1 p.m., you have a point. If it's Saturday at 2:30 a.m., you know it's PC for some fishin'. ;)

You act like there aren't DUI's out there at 1 pm on a Wednesday... :huh:

hotrodalex

Quote from: bing_oh on June 01, 2013, 09:27:25 AM

Well in the middle Ohio there's plenty of reason to drink in the morning, so yeah. :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: bing_oh on June 01, 2013, 09:27:25 AM

That's when old people get drunk.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

bing_oh

dazzleman

Quote from: bing_oh on June 01, 2013, 10:55:36 AM
And night shifters. And alcoholics.

Yes.

I don't know what Dan has such a hard-on for drunk driving enforcement.  That's one of the few areas where I don't agree with him.  I agree with him that the focus of drunk driving enforcement is often wrong, but I do think we should do a better job of getting dangerous drunks off the road with much stricter sanctions.  We take the usual American approach of watering down the crime (by repeatedly lowering BAC levels rather than concentrating on higher BAC habitual drunk drivers) and then having penalties that aren't strong enough to be effective against serious drunks until they kill somebody.  And sometimes, not even then.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

MaxPower

Quote from: TurboDan on June 01, 2013, 01:00:27 AM
Depends on the hour/day of the week. If it's a Wednesday at 1 p.m., you have a point. If it's Saturday at 2:30 a.m., you know it's PC for some fishin'. ;)
or maybe because there's a national click it or ticket campaign going right now and lots of cops are on details looking for seatbelt violations

dazzleman

Quote from: MaxPower on June 01, 2013, 11:09:15 AM
or maybe because there's a national click it or ticket campaign going right now and lots of cops are on details looking for seatbelt violations

I think Click it or Ticket is going on here right now....

TurboDan

Quote from: dazzleman on June 01, 2013, 10:59:52 AM
Yes.

I don't know what Dan has such a hard-on for drunk driving enforcement.  That's one of the few areas where I don't agree with him.  I agree with him that the focus of drunk driving enforcement is often wrong, but I do think we should do a better job of getting dangerous drunks off the road with much stricter sanctions.  We take the usual American approach of watering down the crime (by repeatedly lowering BAC levels rather than concentrating on higher BAC habitual drunk drivers) and then having penalties that aren't strong enough to be effective against serious drunks until they kill somebody.  And sometimes, not even then.

This was basically my point in all of these DWI threads.

As for enforcement, well, I'm coming from an NJ perspective where DWI is a discretionary arrest. So if you're a member of the "friends and family club" in your town, or have a nice shiny PBA/FOP shield on you, you're immune from arrest. I'd probably be less vocal if the playing field was more level. Some guy who's .081 on his way back from dinner will be cuffed, brought to the station and lose his license for months (and probably his job) while another guy who's .13 gets a lift back to his house.  :devil:

TurboDan

dazzleman

Quote from: TurboDan on June 02, 2013, 12:52:42 AM
This was basically my point in all of these DWI threads.

As for enforcement, well, I'm coming from an NJ perspective where DWI is a discretionary arrest. So if you're a member of the "friends and family club" in your town, or have a nice shiny PBA/FOP shield on you, you're immune from arrest. I'd probably be less vocal if the playing field was more level. Some guy who's .081 on his way back from dinner will be cuffed, brought to the station and lose his license for months (and probably his job) while another guy who's .13 gets a lift back to his house.  :devil:

New Jersey is so behind the times.  The whole "ride home" thing was common before the 1970s when drunk driving wasn't taken that seriously.  There was a story in my town about a priest who was the police chaplain and who had a serious drinking problem (as well as a problem with molesting boys, as was discovered later) who was repeatedly given rides home rather than arrested when the police caught him driving drunk.  Even so, he was arrested enough times that he had to go to jail.

I have to say though, the corruption is still not an excuse for driving above the legal limit by an "unconnected" person.  There will always be some level of this sort of corruption, and the best way not to get caught up in it is to obey the law.

TurboDan

Quote from: dazzleman on June 02, 2013, 04:26:24 AM
New Jersey is so behind the times.  The whole "ride home" thing was common before the 1970s when drunk driving wasn't taken that seriously.  There was a story in my town about a priest who was the police chaplain and who had a serious drinking problem (as well as a problem with molesting boys, as was discovered later) who was repeatedly given rides home rather than arrested when the police caught him driving drunk.  Even so, he was arrested enough times that he had to go to jail.

I have to say though, the corruption is still not an excuse for driving above the legal limit by an "unconnected" person.  There will always be some level of this sort of corruption, and the best way not to get caught up in it is to obey the law.

That's true. In practice, I'm insanely paranoid about DWI. I can't even tell you how much I spend a year on cabs lol.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Quote from: bing_oh on June 01, 2013, 10:55:36 AM
And night shifters. And alcoholics.

I used to work an 11-8am shift: More than a few people on that shift went directly to the bar when it opened at 8 (because that's when the shift got out!) and stayed there until noon or later.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

Just change the 8AM to 8PM, and it doesn't look so crazy, ya know?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on June 03, 2013, 02:17:15 AM
Just change the 8AM to 8PM, and it doesn't look so crazy, ya know?

I always start drinking at 8am.  It gets me through the day.

J86

cant be drunk all day if you dont start in the morning!

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: TurboDan on June 01, 2013, 01:00:27 AM

It was on a Wednesday around 6pm. 

TurboDan

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on June 08, 2013, 02:51:16 PM
It was on a Wednesday around 6pm. 

That works. People get sloshed at happy hour after work...

Morris Minor

Quote from: dazzleman on June 01, 2013, 12:02:51 PM
I think Click it or Ticket is going on here right now....

Click it or Ticket campaigns are worthless IMO.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

J86

dazzleman

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 11, 2013, 11:00:49 AM
Click it or Ticket campaigns are worthless IMO.

I guess it's a gimmick.  I'd rather see them go after people texting while driving or talking on cellphones.  The danger from not wearing a seatbelt is passive.

sparkplug

Mustangfan, we want to know how this ends..
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

bing_oh

Quote from: dazzleman on June 11, 2013, 06:48:27 PMI guess it's a gimmick.  I'd rather see them go after people texting while driving or talking on cellphones.  The danger from not wearing a seatbelt is passive.

Any publicity campaign is a gimmick. It's just an attempt to get people to wear their seatbelts...not a bad thing, considering they actually do save lives in crashes.