***2013 Jaguar F-Type Premiere at Avalon Cars, Munich***

Started by cawimmer430, May 25, 2013, 08:55:17 AM

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on May 31, 2013, 10:12:38 AM
Yeah, but the Boxster is only projected to sell 16k next year.  You can't point to 911 sales and say the f-type is a failure because it doesn't live up to it.

All projections I'm seeing for the F-type has it over 10k/year into 2020.
Projections are useless. ATS for example is slated to do about 1/2-2/3 the 50-60K GM claimed would be a cakewalk. I will bet monthly sales are in the single digit range in Europe
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 31, 2013, 10:51:19 AM
Projections are useless. ATS for example is slated to do about 1/2-2/3 the 50-60K GM claimed would be a cakewalk. I will bet monthly sales are in the single digit range in Europe

GM's are totally different than what I'm talking about. GM being optimistic to the media =/= third party volume predictions.

So now your hunch is worth more than projections from an analytics company and news that half a year's production has already been sold...
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

veeman

Quote from: SVT666 on May 31, 2013, 09:41:36 AM
Really?

Jaguar F-Type already halfway to being sold out
By Drew Johnson

The order books for the Jaguar F-Type have only been open for a few weeks, but the British automaker says the all-new sports car is already a rousing success.

"Half of the first year's production of the F-Type is already sold," Jaguar global brand director Adrian Hallmark told Automotive News. Hallmark added that anyone just ordering the F-Type will have to wait until at least the end of the year to take delivery.

Jaguar hasn't announced an official sales target for the F-Type, but the British automaker says the sports car will account for about 15-20 percent of its 60,000 annual sales. That means we can expect somewhere between 9,000 and 12,000 units to be sold this year.

Jaguar says most F-Types will end up in the United States, Great Britain and Germany. China will also be an important market for the drop top where, Jaguar says, "the average millionaire is 38 years old and likes to show wealth."

Offered in three different trim levels, F-Type pricing ranges from about $70,000 to $93,000. The car is currently offered exclusively as a convertible, but a coupe variant is expected to join the range sometime next year.

can't argue with those numbers.  if it continues to sell like that, i'm happy for them because it looks great.  it's priced in between a mercedes slk and mercedes sl, in between a porsche boxster and porshe carrera convertible.  i think its priced too high... won't be the last time i'm wrong :)   

like MX793 said, initial sales are often misleading.  everyone knows jaguar has a depreciation problem, unlike porsche.  best looking convertible out there, short of the superlux.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on May 31, 2013, 11:14:46 AM
GM's are totally different than what I'm talking about. GM being optimistic to the media =/= third party volume predictions.

So now your hunch is worth more than projections from an analytics company and news that half a year's production has already been sold...
That 50-60K estimate was from one of your beloved analytics companies. And like someone else said, we will see how long the hot sales continue.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 31, 2013, 01:47:35 PM
That 50-60K estimate was from one of your beloved analytics companies. And like someone else said, we will see how long the hot sales continue.

And it'll still get there.  They'll likely hit 40k+ this year, and generally models will hit peak sales in the second and third year of production. 50k-60k is not remotely unrealistic for that car.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Byteme

Quote from: SVT666 on May 30, 2013, 07:27:23 PM
Because you could say that about any new car versus a classic.  The F-Type isn't competing with the E-Type for sales.  It's like saying, "For the price of a LaFerrari I would rather get a GTO."

I never claimed it was competing although one does see a lot of comparisons or discussions of it being a worthy successor in the automotive press.  But the fact is that if I was wanting to drop about, say $70k on a car I'd prefer to buy an E-Type as opposed to an F-Type.  And in the real world both cars are pretty much luxury discretionary purchases and in that regard are competing for the buyer's dollars.

SVT666

So according to virtually every review I have read now, the F-Type is one hell of a sports car. 

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on June 25, 2013, 09:55:35 AM
So according to virtually every review I have read now, the F-Type is one hell of a sports car. 

I saw one drive past me on Sunday. It sure sounded like one hell of a sports car. :wub:

I'd have a tough time choosing between a 911 Carrera and an F-type.

SVT666

Well, this morning I made a decision.  I'm waiting to buy a new car for as long as it takes for the used prices on these things to get within my budget.  I saw a copper Jaguar F-Type scream up the hill going the other direction from me and I nearly hit the centre divider as I watched it over my shoulder.  I had my window down as well and the V6 sounds better than all but just a couple V8s that I've ever heard.  I am in love with this car.

r0tor

Lovely car.... I dont think I could justify it over a Cayman or Boxster though
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed