OK this is worth hyperbole. Avalon Hybrid legitimately does 40 MPG combined???

Started by 12,000 RPM, June 17, 2013, 03:44:11 PM

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on June 18, 2013, 06:07:17 PM
:hammerhead:
Do you realize the penalties involved if a manufacturer cheats the EPA test?  The absolute PR nightmare?

They ain't explicitly cheating or lying - they're gaming, as all government regulation exists for, by tailoring performance to the known test procedure.

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on June 18, 2013, 11:53:47 PM
Gotcha ;). Minimum RPM doesn't automatically equate to maximum MPG.

I dont remember typing this...  Every engine has a spot on its operating curve to achieve the best brake specific fuel consumption.  American automakers tend to tie this to speeds for the EPA test by choosing a specific top gear.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on June 18, 2013, 06:49:48 PM
And your proof that Ford did is what?  Now that my parents are no longer remote starting the car to warm it up, they are regularly meeting or exceeding epa estimates.
Do they have a Fusion/C-Maxx hybrid?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on June 19, 2013, 02:58:28 PM
2013 fusion hybrid
I never said it was impossible... but they're clearly the exception to the rule

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/fusion/2013/hybrid%20l4

140 people are averaging 41 MPG in their Fusion Hybrids... some getting as much as 49... some getting as little as 33... but on average getting nowhere near 47

Most other cars match their EPA ratings on average... Ford lied

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 19, 2013, 03:47:06 PM

140 people are averaging 41 MPG in their Fusion Hybrids... some getting as much as 49... some getting as little as 33... but on average getting nowhere near 47

Not to mention that CR couldn't meet the EPA ratings.

r0tor

Yippee... fuelly!  Another waste of internet resources to try and make people think they are important in the world.  Why bother with testing standards when you have social media!!!

BTW, I beat the fuelly averages in my RX8 and Jeep by 2-3mpg routinely and I dont even drive that nicely

2o6

Quote from: r0tor on June 19, 2013, 04:46:10 PM
Yippee... fuelly!  Another waste of internet resources to try and make people think they are important in the world.  Why bother with testing standards when you have social media!!!

BTW, I beat the fuelly averages in my RX8 and Jeep by 2-3mpg routinely and I dont even drive that nicely

.....Ford has created MPG numbers that have been nearly impossible to achieve. Hyundai had believable numbers, and they were caught cheating.

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on June 19, 2013, 04:55:50 PM
.....Ford has created MPG numbers that have been nearly impossible to achieve. Hyundai had believable numbers, and they were caught cheating.

Have either of you actually read the EPA test procedure for how they go about measuring fuel economy?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

And my parents fuel mileage sucked up until a few months ago because they were using the remote start to warm the car up in the morning.  They also never had a hybrid before and werent use to driving it to get the best mileage.

Until you have results from a standardized test, all the internet hype in the world is just pissing in the wind.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on June 19, 2013, 04:46:10 PM
Yippee... fuelly!  Another waste of internet resources to try and make people think they are important in the world.
Kind of like posting on a message board?

Quote from: r0tor on June 19, 2013, 04:46:10 PMWhy bother with testing standards when you have social media!!!
Because real world drivers are more representative of real world results?

Quote from: r0tor on June 19, 2013, 04:46:10 PMBTW, I beat the fuelly averages in my RX8 and Jeep by 2-3mpg routinely and I dont even drive that nicely
Your purple heart is in the mail. Most people don't though, as evidenced by Fuelly. And you yourself are an example that EPA estimates aren't necessarily true for everybody.

Quote from: MX793 on June 19, 2013, 04:58:25 PM
Have either of you actually read the EPA test procedure for how they go about measuring fuel economy?
EPA doesn't even conduct most of the EPA tests... if they did, Hyundai & Ford wouldn't have been able to lie, and the lawsuit for Hyundai's universally missed mileage would have been filed against the EPA, not Hyundai :huh:

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 19, 2013, 05:20:47 PM
EPA doesn't even conduct most of the EPA tests... if they did, Hyundai & Ford wouldn't have been able to lie, and the lawsuit for Hyundai's universally missed mileage would have been filed against the EPA, not Hyundai :huh:

Have you read the procedure or not?

Or let me put it another way.  Do all of those consumers reporting lower mileages drive in the exact same manner as the vehicle is "driven" (vehicles aren't actually driven, they are on a dyno for the test) during the test?  Do they accelerate at the same rate?  Does their commute have the same level of "stop and go" as the test's city cycle?  Do they travel at the same speeds on the highway?  Do they run their AC more or less? Do they use the same grade of fuel (EPA testing is done with pure gasoline, not E10 which is practically all you can buy these days)?  And so on and so forth...

Hybrids are far more sensitive to driving style and driving conditions than regular IC powered cars.  As such, there will be far more variability in the amount of "YMMV" than with a traditional vehicle.

Does any of this mean that Ford didn't fudge the numbers or cheat the test?  No.  But I'm not going to jump to the conclusion that Ford lied or cheated based on a bunch of anecdotal fuel mileage numbers posted on the web that aren't accompanied by any data on driving style or conditions.  Especially when some people are able to meet or beat the published fuel economy numbers.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

I will add that I find it strange that the Energi plug-in hybrid version of the Fusion has a lower EPA rating (by several MPG) than the regular Hybrid model.  I would have expected them to be more or less the same, with the plug-in perhaps being slightly worse on account of more weight.
Needs more Jiggawatts

12,000 RPM

Again the fact that most of the cars on Fuelly (including other hybrids) come within 1-2 MPG of combined mileage on average means the EPA guidelines are applicable in the real world. The real world isn't an EPA test loop... the EPA test loop is supposed to approximate the real world.

Raza

Man, I really need to get back to keeping my records on Fuelly.  I enjoyed that.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 20, 2013, 07:40:51 AM
Again the fact that most of the cars on Fuelly (including other hybrids) come within 1-2 MPG of combined mileage on average means the EPA guidelines are applicable in the real world. The real world isn't an EPA test loop... the EPA test loop is supposed to approximate the real world.

Actually, there's an equation that adjusts the results from the EPA test to generate the "real world" numbers published on the window stickers.  The raw numbers aren't anywhere close to what one could expect to achieve.  The fact is that the EPA test doesn't match real world operating conditions.  In the real world, temperatures vary, there are hills, there is wind...  That doesn't even take into account the human factor.  The EPA uses specific acceleration rates and throttle inputs.  They use specific shift points for cars with manual gearboxes.  Do you know how GM decided at what RPM the skip-shift feature on the Corvette and Camaro turns off?  It's set a bit higher than the EPA-mandated shift RPM to allow them to game the test by skipping gears (not allowed by EPA testing unless the vehicle has features to lock out gears).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2o6

Quote from: Raza  on June 20, 2013, 09:13:09 AM
Man, I really need to get back to keeping my records on Fuelly.  I enjoyed that.

Use the phone app. Usually I update my MPG at the gas station every time I fill up.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 18, 2013, 04:02:42 PM
Yea you can. The EPA isn't conducting tests on every car, just a sample of models. They don't have the funding to do comprehensive testing. Most ratings are conducted by the manufacturers themselves in accordance w/the EPA's procedures and handed in in good faith. It's very easy to "game", at least on its way to the EPA. They could (and probably did) run the tests on cars w/no interiors or illegally modified engines or something. Or they just lied.

Its not like manufacturers are sending every car to the EPA to get tested. Though that is probably the most rational way to do it (and make the manufacturers pay).

The EPA doesn't even conduct the tests: the manufacturers do, under strict EPA guidelines; on a rolling dyno set to simulate the car's actual curb weight, and any "cheating" would be severely dealt with. Its not done on "good faith": the data is sent to the EPA for auditing.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 22, 2013, 01:32:06 AM
The EPA doesn't even conduct the tests: the manufacturers do, under strict EPA guidelines; on a rolling dyno set to simulate the car's actual curb weight, and any "cheating" would be severely dealt with. Its not done on "good faith": the data is sent to the EPA for auditing.
How can the EPA scan for ringers? I'm not saying the EPA doesn't check or see the details of the results, just that without actually testing the cars themselves there's no way for them to know whether the cars being tested = the cars that will be sold to consumers, no matter how much they analyze the data.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 22, 2013, 07:32:54 AM
How can the EPA scan for ringers? I'm not saying the EPA doesn't check or see the details of the results, just that without actually testing the cars themselves there's no way for them to know whether the cars being tested = the cars that will be sold to consumers, no matter how much they analyze the data.

You do understand how mass production works, right? Lots and lots of cars, made exactly the same way?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

cawimmer430

Since it's a Toyota, the EPA adds 20 mpg extra for a combined total of 60+ mpg!  :winkguy:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 22, 2013, 08:06:56 AM
You do understand how mass production works, right? Lots and lots of cars, made exactly the same way?
Not sure what mass production has to do with Hyundai making special ringers for EPA tests :huh:

The point is Ford & Hyundai somehow gamed the EPA tests. I was just speculating how they might have done it. But they did.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 23, 2013, 12:52:53 PM
Not sure what mass production has to do with Hyundai making special ringers for EPA tests :huh:

The point is Ford & Hyundai somehow gamed the EPA tests. I was just speculating how they might have done it. But they did.

They take random samples off the line, that's why.

The tests are always gamed, by programming the ECM and transmission to maximize the efficiency along the EPA trace, which is never an exact fit for real world driving; and there are serious flaws with the standards for hybrid cars in the tests themselves.

But, that's completely different from making one off ringers.

280Z Turbo

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 23, 2013, 05:46:14 PM
Lets not forget about GMs skip shift, which is bullshit.

Also why their seven speeds automatics shift so weirdly.

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 23, 2013, 12:57:07 PM

The tests are always gamed, by programming the ECM and transmission to maximize the efficiency along the EPA trace, which is never an exact fit for real world driving; and there are serious flaws with the standards for hybrid cars in the tests themselves.

Turbo cars also add an extra measure of gamability what with boost (Ecoboost V6 and Hyundai 2.0T get way under EPA in real-world driving).

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 23, 2013, 12:57:07 PM

I agree that there are issues, but at the end of the day on average most cars are hitting their EPA estimates and Ford + Hyundai weren't. How come there is only a disparity for those two brands?

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 23, 2013, 09:11:59 PM
I agree that there are issues, but at the end of the day on average most cars are hitting their EPA estimates and Ford + Hyundai weren't. How come there is only a disparity for those two brands?

A trillion engineering decisions came together to give them vehicles that were better able to game the system?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 23, 2013, 09:11:59 PM

Most cars get below their ratings, some more than others. Ford's ecoboost engines consistently do worse though.