OK this is worth hyperbole. Avalon Hybrid legitimately does 40 MPG combined???

Started by 12,000 RPM, June 17, 2013, 03:44:11 PM

12,000 RPM

My Rabbit can't do better than 23 MPG combined (it does have a CEL though)

That is damn impressive!!!!

Road Test: 2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid

Not exactly dog slow either though it won't thrill you. I'm impressed

Toyota needs to make a hybrid Corolla
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

A Corolla Hybrid.....would be a Prius.

People like to knock Toyota, but they deliver in real world fuel economy. My Yaris is averaging 35-36 mixed.

r0tor

My parents hybrid fusion regularly gets the same mileage i'm told... despite what lawsuits may want people to believe
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

ifcar

Quote from: r0tor on June 17, 2013, 05:50:57 PM
My parents hybrid fusion regularly gets the same mileage i'm told... despite what lawsuits may want people to believe

The lawsuit would be based on the fact that the Avalon is rated for 40 and the Fusion is rated for 47.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on June 17, 2013, 05:41:09 PM
A Corolla Hybrid.....would be a Prius.

Not with 200HP :rastaman:

That would actually be a Corolla worth buying

2o6

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CALL_911 on June 17, 2013, 07:34:58 PM
Your Rabbit does 23 MPG? Wow is the 2.5 a lump
I think it needs a tune. I'd rather this than the carbon buildup issues of the turbo engines though

r0tor

Quote from: ifcar on June 17, 2013, 06:33:14 PM
The lawsuit would be based on the fact that the Avalon is rated for 40 and the Fusion is rated for 47.

They have have measured tanks in the 60s and tanks in the 30s... Hybrid mileage is completely incomparable and unrepeatable in real world driving.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on June 18, 2013, 08:16:57 AM
They have have measured tanks in the 60s and tanks in the 30s... Hybrid mileage is completely incomparable and unrepeatable in real world driving.
Regular cars are the same way :huh:

EPA mileage is just a guide

But if the real world median is way under the EPA rating there's a problem. 40 combined is still good, Ford fucked up with that lie.

2o6

CALL_911

I just learned my car does 25 combined according to the EPA. I usually get between 25.5 and 27 combined.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 18, 2013, 08:45:11 AM
Regular cars are the same way :huh:

EPA mileage is just a guide

But if the real world median is way under the EPA rating there's a problem. 40 combined is still good, Ford fucked up with that lie.

You can't exactly lie on an EPA test.  The results are what they are - whether or not they match your driving style and scenario (huge variability in a hybrid) is a different story.

Laconian

What if Ford's GPS told the ECU "hey, I'm near an EPA address! SET EPA MODE TO TRUE"?

:lol:!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on June 18, 2013, 11:32:19 AM
You can't exactly lie on an EPA test.  The results are what they are - whether or not they match your driving style and scenario (huge variability in a hybrid) is a different story.

Is is a lie though if Ford games their hybrid system to take maximum advantage of the scripted EPA test at the expense of real-world driving scenarios?

r0tor

You mean just like most automakers choosing a top gear ratio for the test?

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on June 18, 2013, 11:32:19 AM
You can't exactly lie on an EPA test.
Yea you can. The EPA isn't conducting tests on every car, just a sample of models. They don't have the funding to do comprehensive testing. Most ratings are conducted by the manufacturers themselves in accordance w/the EPA's procedures and handed in in good faith. It's very easy to "game", at least on its way to the EPA. They could (and probably did) run the tests on cars w/no interiors or illegally modified engines or something. Or they just lied.

Its not like manufacturers are sending every car to the EPA to get tested. Though that is probably the most rational way to do it (and make the manufacturers pay).

2o6

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 18, 2013, 04:02:42 PM
Yea you can. The EPA isn't conducting tests on every car, just a sample of models. They don't have the funding to do comprehensive testing. Most ratings are conducted by the manufacturers themselves in accordance w/the EPA's procedures and handed in in good faith. It's very easy to "game", at least on its way to the EPA. They could (and probably did) run the tests on cars w/no interiors or illegally modified engines or something. Or they just lied.

Its not like manufacturers are sending every car to the EPA to get tested. Though that is probably the most rational way to do it (and make the manufacturers pay).

Tests are performed on a rolling dyno, stripping the interior (or aerodynamic aids) will do nothing to improve them.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on June 18, 2013, 12:47:52 PM

Skip-shift features on manual transmissions (a-la Corvette, Camaro, and GT500), automatic transmission programming specifically written for the EPA test, gearing chosen to perform well in the test as opposed to real driving...  Fuel mileage targets, based on the test, are design requirements.  The automakers will design accordingly to meet those targets in the test.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

:hammerhead:
Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 18, 2013, 04:02:42 PM

Do you realize the penalties involved if a manufacturer cheats the EPA test?  The absolute PR nightmare?

2o6

Quote from: r0tor on June 18, 2013, 06:07:17 PM
Do you realize the penalties involved if a manufacturer cheats the EPA test?  The absolute PR nightmare?

Ask Hyundai.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on June 18, 2013, 06:07:17 PM
Hyundai + Ford did just that, and got away with it for quite some time  :huh:

Just cause its a bad idea, doesn't mean manufacturers won't try it. Point is though cheating EPA tests is easy and manufacturers have done it.

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 18, 2013, 06:29:24 PM
Hyundai + Ford did just that, and got away with it for quite some time  :huh:

Just cause its a bad idea, doesn't mean manufacturers won't try it. Point is though cheating EPA tests is easy and manufacturers have done it.

And your proof that Ford did is what?  Now that my parents are no longer remote starting the car to warm it up, they are regularly meeting or exceeding epa estimates.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: 93JC on June 17, 2013, 11:17:53 PM
I forgot they still made the Avalon.

The new model is selling pretty well. They actually made it look good for once.

93JC

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 18, 2013, 08:22:47 PM
The new model is selling pretty well.

Wouldn't know, they don't sell 'em here! :lol:

This discussion sounded a little familiar so I did a search through my old posts. It turns out I had this very same discussion ("They still make the Avalon? wat.") about a year ago. :lol:

And it turns out Hyundai still makes the Azera! Who knew?! :lol:

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on June 18, 2013, 12:47:52 PM

Gotcha ;). Minimum RPM doesn't automatically equate to maximum MPG. If the test procedure is known ahead of time, what with electronic throttle, ECU and electronic transmission, a whole lot can be done to maximize MPG for said procedure - shift points, TC lockup, A/F mixture, timing, throttle position (esp. as it concerns pumping losses), etc. Turbo cars are even more so - now add boost control (and no coincident that turbo cars are falling well short in real-world driving - esp. Ecoboost V6 and Hyundai 2.0T). 

Is this lying or cheating? Meh...

GoCougs

As to the Avalon, it sells well for the class and this new generation is getting great if not rave reviews.