Sporty's 350Z thread

Started by 12,000 RPM, July 22, 2013, 02:55:36 PM

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 23, 2013, 09:34:54 AM
Get a C208 Mercedes CLK55 AMG!  :ohyeah:

There's the wimmer I remember, representing mercedes benz. Thanks for not suggesting he get a 1964 caprice classic brouham deluxe starliner tourer.

Back on point, If manual isn't a requirement I'd seriously shop the older AMG options(C32/C43/E55 etc).

Those old AMG's are really really nice cars that are very reasonable on the used market.

FlatBlackCaddy

Here's an example from my area.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/3918299005.html

34K original miles.

I've also seen C55(my fav) and E55(non supercharged) in that same 9-10K price range.

Vinsanity

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on July 23, 2013, 10:01:48 AM
There's the wimmer I remember, representing mercedes benz. Thanks for not suggesting he get a 1964 caprice classic brouham deluxe starliner tourer.

Agreed :golfclap:

E55's are boss, even the W210's. Though I think a CLK55 would suit Sporty well.

12,000 RPM

Manuals are a requirement.

Drove a Prelude. It was beat. Bad wheel bearing. Hard to gauge the power as the A/C was on and the dude + my wife were in it. It felt slow though. He had a binder full of service docs though and he works at a dealership, so it's well maintained. Bad thing is it has some damage on the left quarter panel and an exhaust. Not really a good highway car. I need to drive one with a stock exhaust and good bearings to see if that one is worth getting + fixing.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

SJ_GTI

Quote from: HotRodPilot on July 23, 2013, 10:44:40 AM
Sporty's going to get another Maxima  :facepalm:

:lol:

Seriously given the available options I am kind of stunned that Maxima or Prelude are really being seriously considered.

330ci ftw,

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Heres the other problem a lot of you folks in big cities aren't considering

Most of the cars I'm looking at are far away. That M3 (that got away) was 75 miles away. There's jack shit here. And I don't really want to drive 100, 200 miles to check out a car I might not even want.

10K is a lot in a used market where there are a lot of cars. When the pickings are slim prices go up and shit's just not available. There aren't any manual 328iS's within 200 miles of me for example. Nobody is picking up their phone or returning emails either. I'm getting frustrated.

There's a Z 11 miles from me. I'm gonna go see what it's about.

Onslaught

cawimmer430

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on July 23, 2013, 10:01:48 AM

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on July 23, 2013, 10:01:48 AMBack on point, If manual isn't a requirement I'd seriously shop the older AMG options(C32/C43/E55 etc).

Those old AMG's are really really nice cars that are very reasonable on the used market.

I think even a manual-diehard would appreciate an automatic daily driver with performance to boot in his garage.  :ohyeah:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Onslaught

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 23, 2013, 01:24:24 PM

I think even a manual-diehard would appreciate an automatic daily driver with performance to boot in his garage.  :ohyeah:

Not me. Unless you can't get a manual at all with the particular car. The only way I want an auto is if I've got a truck.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Onslaught on July 23, 2013, 01:12:14 PM
I do that everyday. Don't see why having a stick is a problem.  :huh:

If I didn't have to commute in stop-and-go traffic, I would still have an s2000.

Sure, I could've put up with it, but why? It's the one thing that makes a miserable experience in an otherwise fun car.

Raza

Think again! :dance:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 23, 2013, 01:33:19 PM
If I didn't have to commute in stop-and-go traffic, I would still have an s2000.

Sure, I could've put up with it, but why? It's the one thing that makes a miserable experience in an otherwise fun car.

Because, all of a sudden, having an automatic in traffic makes it a party?  It's miserable in an automatic too, I don't see the difference. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on July 23, 2013, 01:39:00 PM
Because, all of a sudden, having an automatic in traffic makes it a party?  It's miserable in an automatic too, I don't see the difference. 

Well to be fair, it's a number of factors. Staring at the ass-end of a minivan in an s2k was literally like trying to see around a brick wall or a building. Not having to constantly work the clutch does help considerably.

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 23, 2013, 02:13:28 PM
Well to be fair, it's a number of factors. Staring at the ass-end of a minivan in an s2k was literally like trying to see around a brick wall or a building. Not having to constantly work the clutch does help considerably.

Maybe you're just getting old.  That's okay.  It happens to all of us.

Personally, I wouldn't trade a little bit less misery for those sublime moments. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FlatBlackCaddy

I'm a pretty die hard manual car guy, and I was shopping C55's and C32's for awhile. Probably would have ended up with one but didn't have much(if any) to choose from.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 23, 2013, 10:24:45 AM
Manuals are a requirement.

Drove a Prelude. It was beat. Bad wheel bearing. Hard to gauge the power as the A/C was on and the dude + my wife were in it. It felt slow though. He had a binder full of service docs though and he works at a dealership, so it's well maintained. Bad thing is it has some damage on the left quarter panel and an exhaust. Not really a good highway car. I need to drive one with a stock exhaust and good bearings to see if that one is worth getting + fixing.

Dude, "A/C was on and dude and my wife were in it, so it was slow" is a bunch of BS. My Evo doesn't turn into a dog because I have a few buddies in the car. Unless he was a 400 lb samoen and your wife pushing a size 30 then that ain't the reason it's slow. It's either slow to begin with(probably) or the thing just plain runs like shit(also likely).

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on July 23, 2013, 02:22:37 PM
Maybe you're just getting old.  That's okay.  It happens to all of us.

Personally, I wouldn't trade a little bit less misery for those sublime moments. 

Sadly, those sublime moments disappeared once I moved out of my parents house into my own place. Nice place, great area, but no more fun driving roads on the way home

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 23, 2013, 02:47:26 PM
Sadly, those sublime moments disappeared once I moved out of my parents house into my own place. Nice place, great area, but no more fun driving roads on the way home

I drive from a city on the highway to a ghetto.  I still have fun.  I fall back to you just getting old.   :devil:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

0 for 2. This Z felt weak and had a comical amount of tire roar. I think it might have had an exhaust or it might have just been a POS. The clutch engagement was typical Nissan crap.... 12" of travel and 1/2" of engagement. The cabin was a little cavernous as well; not like roomy but like dark and poorly lit. Other than that I thought it was decent. I liked the steering feel and even on 19s it rode decently, around here at least. Punch wise it honestly wasn't much better than the Prelude which I'm guessing means it was in really bad shape. PASS.

I am just going to take a break from looking tomorrow and focus on work. Today was a waste. People are sniping the Maximas but I'd rather one of those than one of the POS I drove today. I need to get my mitts on a Bimmer.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on July 23, 2013, 02:38:40 PM
Dude, "A/C was on and dude and my wife were in it, so it was slow" is a bunch of BS. My Evo doesn't turn into a dog because I have a few buddies in the car. Unless he was a 400 lb samoen and your wife pushing a size 30 then that ain't the reason it's slow. It's either slow to begin with(probably) or the thing just plain runs like shit(also likely).

Your Evo has torque and IIRC is modded.

I don't know. I think the bike might also have ruined me. These cars weren't SLOW, but they felt closer to my wife's car than my bike. I can't imagine the Bimmers, especially the non-Ms, being much better. Even the E36 M3 is "only" a mid to low 14 second car, which is quick but not "wowowowie". Prob not much better than the Z in the shape it was.

Yea I am fucking wiped. I am hungover and sleep deprived as well. Not dealing with this till Thursday unless I get a call about something I want tomorrow. Sucks

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on July 23, 2013, 03:13:40 PM
I drive from a city on the highway to a ghetto.  I still have fun.  I fall back to you just getting old.   :devil:

I stand by my assertion that a Caddy is better to drive to the ghetto than a 2-seat roadster.

12,000 RPM

Vinsanity

CJ

That thing has had a crash at some point. Headlight has been replaced and the hood is crinkled.