Sporty's 350Z thread

Started by 12,000 RPM, July 22, 2013, 02:55:36 PM

12,000 RPM

Well wifey landed a gig and will be needing to take the Rabbit to work every day for at least the next couple of months. I am working from home for now but I still need a car for rainy days, interviews, the winter, going to the gym etc. I don't think this thing will see more than ~500 miles a month and I have the bike. So a lot of shit doesn't matter. Maintenance costs don't matter though I would like the thing to run. Gas mileage doesn't matter though I don't want the worst of both worlds (weak performance + shitty mileage). Practicality kind of doesn't matter either, it can be a 2 seater. Only real limitation is price and possibly insurance.

My heart is set on a 2.8-3.0L E36 but there are some interesting alternatives. Main things I want are RWD, ~mid 14 sec or less quarter mile, <3200lbs, <$10K price, and some level of long distance comfort

E46 330i/Ci- not as dynamically sharp but that's easily fixable. My main gripe with these is I prefer the older car's more angular looks. E46 is just a little too organic for me.

350Z- I know it's a whale, super high door sills etc etc. I've driven a few Gs and liked them though. The early + bottom of the line ones are light and cheap enough at least. Only gripe with this is tire noise, though I will see myself how bad this is.

S14 240SX- dog out of the box, I know, but they look great and are good platforms. Overpriced but in my price range nonetheless.

SN95 Cobra- On paper they sound good, but the build quality, rear suspension and image are all real turn offs. But they are quick, cheap and RWD.

FD3S RX-7- I love these cars but the issues. Plus one in my price range would be dicey. Still an idea though.

Z3 coupe 2.8/3.0- rare rare rare. I would have to make a day trip to see one. I love these cars too though. <3000lbs!!!

Boxster- just an idea.

MR2 Turbo- also just an idea. I imagine this being hell on the highway.

S2000- also just an idea. My buddy had a 2.0. Off the small cam it was a real dog. I don't have roads nearby to enjoy its powerband. Still though it's a nice convertible.

I def prefer RWD but I could do FWD too.

Another Maxima- dirt cheap, Keith Richards dependable, good on the highway, I know it like the back of my hand.

SVT Contour- There's one in my complex... really nice. Yes I know they aren't the snazziest or best built but they are just the right size and supposedly really fun to drive.

Accord V6 coupe- OK but a little big.

I'm at a loss guys. I have to start looking at cars this week and want to narrow it down to ~3-4 alternatives to look at. Wifey starts in 2 weeks and we are taking a 1 week vaca in Charleston. You know... de part by de beech mon. Thoughts???
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

You're not going to get an FD RX-7 at that price point.  I hate how 350Zs drive.  E36's look like something robocop would drive.

Honestly...a Miata is my pick at that price point, but sounds like you want something faster.

E36 M3 is probably your best bet if you like the looks of it.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Meh, save for the Maxima and Accord those are all generally lousy cars for what you want need - just get a moderately used Civic, get a job and then after a time think about upgrading.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Yea part of me is questioning the idea of even spending $$$ on a car I prob won't drive more than 2-3x a week for ~10 miles at a time; plus with the Maxima I can do all my "enhancements" and still be well under budget. I'm just kind of tired of them though. Plus I do still have the bike. IDK

328is is prob the best balance of everything I want. I'm still gonna check out a 350Z though

MexicoCityM3

I had an E36 325is and an E46 328Ci.

Go for the E46. You don't lose any driving fun, it's more reliable and much, much more upscale.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 22, 2013, 03:13:59 PM
Yea part of me is questioning the idea of even spending $$$ on a car I prob won't drive more than 2-3x a week for ~10 miles at a time; plus with the Maxima I can do all my "enhancements" and still be well under budget. I'm just kind of tired of them though. Plus I do still have the bike. IDK

328is is prob the best balance of everything I want. I'm still gonna check out a 350Z though

You've had like 2 Maximas already.  Get something new.

350Zs look great, but don't drive that way. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

O man I found a purple on white 4dr 5 speed for 6K. Dude says someone is supposed to look at it tomorrow but he's a little flaky. This could definitely be it. If it's not I'm gonna look at Z's just to see if I personally hate them.

Payman

My Miata is my daily driver, until November anyways. Cost me $2,000 and $480 in maintenance receipts ( new brakes, exhaust gasket, front bearing). Solid little car that's fun to drive. Find something similar you can pay cash for. Oh, and insurance cost me just $550 for the year.

Onslaught

You will never, never get a good FD RX-7 for that price. Never, never and did I mention never? And even if it's one of my all time favorite cars I'd not get one for anything other then a toy. And even then it's a time bomb.

12,000 RPM

I just remembered- Preludes. I can get a 97-01 all day for what I really want to pay (<$5000), they are bulletproof, fun, quick and comfy enough as well. Plus I know them inside out as they are basically SWB Accords, but they aren't actually Accords.

SVT666

SVT Focus > SVT Contour

SN95 Cobra looks good and is fast, but is extremely uncomfortable.

Get the Bimmer.

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 22, 2013, 04:40:04 PM
I just remembered- Preludes. I can get a 97-01 all day for what I really want to pay (<$5000), they are bulletproof, fun, quick and comfy enough as well. Plus I know them inside out as they are basically SWB Accords, but they aren't actually Accords.

Great car if you can find a good example. Also, RSX?

Onslaught

"MR2 Turbo- also just an idea. I imagine this being hell on the highway."

Always a fan of that car. Looked great and had lots of leg and head room in it for a car that small. And not a bad amount of trunk space.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 22, 2013, 04:11:38 PM
O man I found a purple on white 4dr 5 speed for 6K. Dude says someone is supposed to look at it tomorrow but he's a little flaky. This could definitely be it. If it's not I'm gonna look at Z's just to see if I personally hate them.

Purple on white?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

S204STi

The SN95 is a riot to drive. Loud, torquey, loud, and a bit loose feeling. I like it.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on July 22, 2013, 06:44:56 PM
Purple on white?
Techno Violet on.... silver

I am warming up to the Prelude idea though. It's a more rational choice. This M3 is a steal though. It's undervalued by an easy 3-4K if everything is on the up and up.

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 22, 2013, 07:07:19 PM

http://www.discountautoinc.com/detail.aspx?id=2557757&PrefID=521&.aspx
Is that a 525??? What do I look like, Dazzleman :lol:

Vinsanity

SVT666

Quote from: S204STi on July 22, 2013, 07:10:21 PM
The SN95 is a riot to drive. Loud, torquey, loud, and a bit loose feeling. I like it.
It's fun with suspension work done, otherwise it's very disconcerting that the car rolls and dives as much as it does.

SVT666

12,000 RPM

I find the SVT Focus to be really, really, really, really, really ugly. Not even the exterior. The interior is what kills me. If I go the SVT route it will be the Contour. Looks better in and out, sounds better too. Focus is good but I can't get past the looks. There's a Contour by me for ~3500. If the Bimmer doesn't pan out I will def look at that.

SVT666

I understand the statements about the interior, even though you eventually find it unique and interesting instead of the boring ass interiors found in other cars in it's class.  The exterior though, is pretty nice looking. 

SVT Contour is pretty awesome.

Tave

Take the bike to interviews, stay inside the 1 day a year it snows like everyone else.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

12,000 RPM

It's a good looking car from the outside.  Interior is where I will see it most though and I just can't get behind it. Contour's pretty generic but it's inoffensive. And that V6 snarl :wub:

Quote from: Onslaught on July 22, 2013, 04:55:59 PM
"MR2 Turbo- also just an idea. I imagine this being hell on the highway."

Always a fan of that car. Looked great and had lots of leg and head room in it for a car that small. And not a bad amount of trunk space.
People want a king's ransom for them though. And the NA one is a little slow IIRC (16 second quarter???). They are bulletproof though. If I can find one in the next couple of days I will check them out.

Quote from: Rockraven on July 22, 2013, 04:46:04 PM
Great car if you can find a good example. Also, RSX?
Im on the fence about the RSX. Pricey, not much faster than the Prelude, no double wishbone cred (suspension is actually pretty bad geometry wise). The K20A is cool but not really worth the 2-3K more they go for over the Prelude. Plus the Lude has a more mature look IMO

Quote from: Tave on July 22, 2013, 08:41:54 PM
Take the bike to interviews, stay inside the 1 day a year it snows like everyone else.
It's been rainy as hell dude.

Tave

This is a rain season of biblical proportions. It won't be this bad for another 3000 years.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.