Next gen Titan to offer Cummins V8

Started by Mustangfan2003, August 20, 2013, 03:47:50 PM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on August 23, 2013, 03:33:28 PM
I don't think that really qualifies. That's basically somebody's project. There's no off roading in that, no hauling around ATVs, motorbikes, or snowmobiles, or terrorizing lesser vehicles during the commute. It's basically for Sunday drives and car shows.

I actually like that truck: but did you read the dude's description?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 23, 2013, 03:57:34 PM
As opposed to RVers who tend to be sociopaths?

Who tend to be clueless old fucks who aren't even aware of other people on the road or in the campground.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 23, 2013, 03:58:20 PM
I actually like that truck: but did you read the dude's description?

I'm a sucker for pretty much any old Power Wagon, actually.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on August 23, 2013, 04:04:10 PM
Who tend to be clueless old fucks who aren't even aware of other people on the road or in the campground.

Oh, they're horrible drivers (mostly at least), I'll agree with that. In the campground, they seem to be largely a non-issue though. I'll take clueless old guys any day over drunken kids.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on August 23, 2013, 04:05:21 PM
I'm a sucker for pretty much any old Power Wagon, actually.

My old man is currently restoring a '49. Its an army ammunition truck or something, but I'm trying to convince him to make it look more civilian.

GoCougs

Quote from: Rupert on August 23, 2013, 03:54:36 PM
Eh, it's a weaker correlation. Horse people tend to be pretty reasonable and level-headed.

I think it's more that horse people are more often than not girls, or at least there are a lot of girls wherever there are horses. All that feminine energy blunts to a great extent Truck Thuggery.

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 23, 2013, 03:57:34 PM
As opposed to RVers who tend to be sociopaths?

Unlike Truck Thuggery (= intentional) IMO RVers tend to be a mix of incompetence, entitlement and naivete/cluelessness.

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 23, 2013, 04:06:16 PM
Oh, they're horrible drivers (mostly at least), I'll agree with that. In the campground, they seem to be largely a non-issue though. I'll take clueless old guys any day over drunken kids.

Generators, air mattress inflators, TVs.

But, yes, waaay better than yay-hoos, which are a constant problem and the bane of my camping existence. This is a whole 'nother can of worms, though.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on August 23, 2013, 04:12:01 PM
Unlike Truck Thuggery (= intentional) IMO RVers tend to be a mix of incompetence, entitlement and naivete/cluelessness.

I don't see the entitlement thing.

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 23, 2013, 04:07:32 PM
My old man is currently restoring a '49. Its an army ammunition truck or something, but I'm trying to convince him to make it look more civilian.

Awesome. Get some pics!

Not that my opinion means a damn thing to him, but I also say make it as civilian looking as possible.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on August 23, 2013, 04:13:00 PM
Generators, air mattress inflators, TVs.

But, yes, waaay better than yay-hoos, which are a constant problem and the bane of my camping existence. This is a whole 'nother can of worms, though.

Ehh, unless you're right in there with the big rigs, its not much of an issue. And most of the spots that can handle RVs around here have electric hookups, so the generators aren't a big problem. That changes a little out west.

Rupert

Quote from: GoCougs on August 23, 2013, 04:09:25 PM
I think it's more that horse people are more often than not girls, or at least there are a lot of girls wherever there are horses. All that feminine energy blunts to a great extent Truck Thuggery.

That's true. Other than Benz's brother, I don't think I know any male horse people that don't come with a female horse person.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on August 23, 2013, 04:14:12 PM
Awesome. Get some pics!

Not that my opinion means a damn thing to him, but I also say make it as civilian looking as possible.

If I could get him to send me some, I would: but mostly he does restoration of military trucks. He has one of the first 200 production Jeeps (Ford GPW) ever made, and a guy in his club actually has the second prototype sent to the DoD for testing.

So, odds are, its going to be meticulously restored with the original unit markings and equipment.

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 23, 2013, 04:15:27 PM
Ehh, unless you're right in there with the big rigs, its not much of an issue. And most of the spots that can handle RVs around here have electric hookups, so the generators aren't a big problem. That changes a little out west.

There are no hook-ups where I'm camping 98% of the time. It's an issue when the campground is full and the only open spot is next to Old Man Smith and his 35 ft fifth wheel with always-on generator. I can usually avoid them, though, by going to the least convenient campground, which is usually almost deserted.

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 23, 2013, 04:17:46 PM
If I could get him to send me some, I would: but mostly he does restoration of military trucks. He has one of the first 200 production Jeeps (Ford GPW) ever made, and a guy in his club actually has the second prototype sent to the DoD for testing.

So, odds are, its going to be meticulously restored with the original unit markings and equipment.

Eh, that's kind of cool, too. Just not in the logger woodsman way.

Rupert

Quote from: GoCougs on August 23, 2013, 04:12:01 PM

Yeah, but they're still idiots.

GoCougs

Quote from: Rupert on August 23, 2013, 03:56:55 PM
Yup. I hate it when I have to drive one of our 3/4 ton crew cab monsters (or-- geesh-- the 1 ton crew cab long bed!) out into the woods. Just a pain in the ass. Give me the Grand Cherokee any day!

Having spent lots of time off road those big trucks are awful; too much wheelbase, too much weight, too much turning radius, to do much other than just drive on dirt/gravel roads or VERY wide open spaces. There's a reason why true off roaders are in Jeeps, 4Runners, Tacomas, Blazers, etc.

Rupert

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 23, 2013, 04:13:26 PM
I don't see the entitlement thing.

Despite having virtual no experience or training driving a de facto commercial rig, they feel entitled to try to drive it like a car, park it wherever, to not use slow vehicle turnouts, etc.

Bonus points when towing a get-around vehicle.

GoCougs

Quote from: Rupert on August 23, 2013, 04:15:35 PM
That's true. Other than Benz's brother, I don't think I know any male horse people that don't come with a female horse person.

Have you seen the hair on that kid though?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on August 23, 2013, 04:25:11 PM
Despite having virtual no experience or training driving a de facto commercial rig, they feel entitled to try to drive it like a car, park it wherever, to not use slow vehicle turnouts, etc.

Bonus points when towing a get-around vehicle.

I chalk all those things up to "not knowing how" rather than feeling entitled.

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 23, 2013, 04:28:19 PM
I chalk all those things up to "not knowing how" rather than feeling entitled.

Sometimes, yes, but sometimes (based on my personal experience), it was very much I-pay-taxes-for-these-roads-so-I'm-gonna-drive-whatever-wherever-whyever.

Rupert

Tave

Agree with Cougs and Rupert on all fronts--big truck thuggery, RVer entitlement, etc., etc...
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

TBR

Quote from: Rupert on August 23, 2013, 03:54:36 PM
Eh, it's a weaker correlation. Horse people tend to be pretty reasonable and level-headed.

Spending thousands upon thousands to sit on top of a relatively slow moving, stinky, beast of an animal? I don't get it, not one bit.

I think it's much more sensible to ATV.

Rupert

Oh christ, are we gonna get into an ATV thing? They're loud, dusty, smelly, expensive (considering that you need a truck to get them anywhere, you aren't saving money by also buying ATVs), dangerous, and ridden by idiots. Horses are also some of these things, but strangely, the properties of the mode of transport don't necessarily correlate to the kind of people that use them. In other words, sensibility has nothing to do with it.

In my experience, again it's a fair amount, ATVers are idiots more than half the time, and horse people are not idiots more than two-thirds of the time.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Tave on August 23, 2013, 04:33:42 PM
Agree with Cougs and Rupert on all fronts--big truck thuggery, RVer entitlement, etc., etc...

I'm not going to say they're entirely wrong, but I'm going to disagree on a few points.

1: There are people who really do use these trucks in a manner where their capabilities are useful, They don't have to always be using 100% of their capacity to justify that anymore than Corvette and Ferrari owners do.

2: Just because a certain type of vehicle tends to draw douchebag drivers, it doesn't mean that you need to be a douchebag in order to drive one.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on August 23, 2013, 04:43:54 PM
Oh christ, are we gonna get into an ATV thing? They're loud, dusty, smelly, expensive (considering that you need a truck to get them anywhere, you aren't saving money by also buying ATVs), dangerous, and ridden by idiots. Horses are also some of these things, but strangely, the properties of the mode of transport don't necessarily correlate to the kind of people that use them. In other words, sensibility has nothing to do with it.

In my experience, again it's a fair amount, ATVers are idiots more than half the time, and horse people are not idiots more than two-thirds of the time.

Horses, however, will simply refuse to do incredibly stupid things. ATVs will do whatevere they're told.

GoCougs

Man I hate ATVs (including snowmobiles). I hate horses too - dangerous and stupid, though they do tend to be a much easier demographic to get along with. (Mountain biking rules both of them IMO.)

TBR

Quote from: Rupert on August 23, 2013, 04:43:54 PM

I mean you're right, ATVers are more frequently morons, but owning an ATV is less moronic than owning a horse.

I understand the thrill of an ATV. I don't understand the thrill of a horse.