Zombie Apocalypse

Started by SVT666, October 16, 2013, 04:50:30 PM

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Northlands on October 18, 2013, 12:47:03 PM
As for cars. No need for anything fast. Pretty much anything on four wheels with an engine sporting more than 60 horsepower will outrun zombies.  :lol:

Wimmer would be safe then.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

NomisR

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on October 18, 2013, 01:24:12 PM
Wimmer would be safe then.

Well, his choices would probably break down on him

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 18, 2013, 12:33:04 PM
LOL. I'd like to see what a 200 round drum of 12 gauge looks like.

A 200 round drum would be carrying over 20 lbs of ammo alone.  Have fun lugging that around.  I'm pretty sure the drum magazines for the auto shotguns cap out at 50 rounds.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: NomisR on October 18, 2013, 12:17:00 PM
Well, for close range, a blunt weapon would definitely work better against undead based on the rules you've stated.  And I believe blunt weapons also has a bonus vs undead too so this definitely helps.  So a large sledge hammer or a mace would be a much better close range weapon than a sword would.  Bats probably wouldn't last more than a few dozen blows at most.

A metal bat would probably be pretty good too; light, but durable, easy to swing, no learning curve. 

Or as The Last of Us has taught us, a pipe with scissors duct taped to it is pretty fucking effective too.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on October 18, 2013, 02:54:48 PM
A 200 round drum would be carrying over 20 lbs of ammo alone.  Have fun lugging that around.  I'm pretty sure the drum magazines for the auto shotguns cap out at 50 rounds.

Okay, so it might not be 200 rounds.  Don't know why that number was stuck in my head, but that's what was in there.  Maybe it's 200 round drum for an AK?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Northlands on October 18, 2013, 12:47:03 PM
Some of us can use a sword. Or one of us. Spears are better.  I don't think any of us have any notions of using it unless there's is only one or two zombies groping for us if there's no time to reload ammo.

As for cars. No need for anything fast. Pretty much anything on four wheels with an engine sporting more than 60 horsepower will outrun zombies.  :lol:

Yeah, if you know what you're doing with a sword, that's cool.  But most people think that because they watched a few episodes of Highlander they can rock the shit.  :lol:

As for the car, I feel you on speed.  I weighed that, thinking about a lower model Subaru.  BUT....you might run into people out there too and might need to make a getaway from something quicker than a zombie.  I stand by Forester 2.5XT--5 speed manual of course.  In the zombie apocalypse, people will still not be able to drive stick, so your car won't get stolen.  :lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 18, 2013, 08:50:06 AM
Tank seemed fine. Even if it wasn't an Abrams.

The guy in the tank didn't seem so fine. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on October 18, 2013, 02:54:48 PM

For the Saiga at least, the vast majority are 20 rounders, and are big enough. For $400 or so, you can get the 30 round "wraithmaker" drums, which are only slightly bigger.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on October 18, 2013, 03:20:47 PM
The guy in the tank didn't seem so fine. 

No, but it isn't quite clear how he ended up that way. He wasn't nibbled on, and his gun was still loaded, so he didn't run out of ammo either. 
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 18, 2013, 06:07:22 PM
No, but it isn't quite clear how he ended up that way. He wasn't nibbled on, and his gun was still loaded, so he didn't run out of ammo either. 

I assumed he either starved to death or committed suicide.  I suppose he could have died from fright (or a stress-induced heart attack).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rupert

I wanna add a bow and arrow, crossbow, ball and chain, war hammer, and silencer for the .22 and 9mm. And armoring to the Defender.

As for all this skills nonsense, a) these are zombies, and b) you will have plenty of time to develop skills.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

Quote from: Rupert on October 18, 2013, 08:29:32 PM
I wanna add a bow and arrow, crossbow, ball and chain, war hammer, and silencer for the .22 and 9mm. And armoring to the Defender.

As for all this skills nonsense, a) these are zombies, and b) you will have plenty of time to develop skills.

Yeah, if you happen to run across an experienced swordsman who'll teach you, you're good to go.  Just spend years practicing with it and you'll get pretty good. :devil:

The fact that they are zombies is what makes a foolproof melee weapon all the more important.  Every bite or possibly even a scratch is a kill shot on you.  You have to destroy the brain.  You can't go swinging your ancient relic Michonne style without knowing what you're doing or you'll be eaten alive. 

You've got the right idea with a bow and arrow though.  It's easier to get good, or at least of less consequence if you're not excellent, easier to teach yourself, and keeps distance between you and the target. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on October 19, 2013, 01:11:13 PM
Yeah, if you happen to run across an experienced swordsman who'll teach you, you're good to go.  Just spend years practicing with it and you'll get pretty good. :devil:

The fact that they are zombies is what makes a foolproof melee weapon all the more important.  Every bite or possibly even a scratch is a kill shot on you.  You have to destroy the brain.  You can't go swinging your ancient relic Michonne style without knowing what you're doing or you'll be eaten alive. 

You've got the right idea with a bow and arrow though.  It's easier to get good, or at least of less consequence if you're not excellent, easier to teach yourself, and keeps distance between you and the target. 

During the Renaissance era, a man regarded as one of the best swordsmen/fencers in Europe once said (paraphrased) "It is not the second best swordsman in the world that I fear to face in a fight; it's the worst."

Skill matters if you're fighting another intelligent, armed (and presumably trained) combatant.  Against unarmed, unarmored, mindless zombies, a sword will be as effective as a bat in untrained hands, maybe moreso.  For starters, a sword has a point, meaning that if you find yourself in close confines without room to actually swing, you can stab.  Second, a sword's CG is located a few inches from the grip, whereas a bat's is near the end.  Despite the two weighing about the same (if we're talking katanas), this makes a bat more difficult, and more tiring, to swing and to make quick and/or repeated strikes with.  Unless, of course, you choke up on the grip.  But then you've shortened your striking distance, meaning you have to get that much closer.

The most dangerous melee weapon for the untrained are any of the flail-type weapons (nunchuks, morningstars, ball-n-chains...).  Very easy to hurt yourself with a weapon like this, and some of them aren't even particularly effective at delivering powerful or lethal blows (nunchuks, specifically).
Needs more Jiggawatts

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on October 19, 2013, 01:35:05 PM
During the Renaissance era, a man regarded as one of the best swordsmen/fencers in Europe once said (paraphrased) "It is not the second best swordsman in the world that I fear to face in a fight; it's the worst."

Skill matters if you're fighting another intelligent, armed (and presumably trained) combatant.  Against unarmed, unarmored, mindless zombies, a sword will be as effective as a bat in untrained hands, maybe moreso.  For starters, a sword has a point, meaning that if you find yourself in close confines without room to actually swing, you can stab.  Second, a sword's CG is located a few inches from the grip, whereas a bat's is near the end.  Despite the two weighing about the same (if we're talking katanas), this makes a bat more difficult, and more tiring, to swing and to make quick and/or repeated strikes with.  Unless, of course, you choke up on the grip.  But then you've shortened your striking distance, meaning you have to get that much closer.

The most dangerous melee weapon for the untrained are any of the flail-type weapons (nunchuks, morningstars, ball-n-chains...).  Very easy to hurt yourself with a weapon like this, and some of them aren't even particularly effective at delivering powerful or lethal blows (nunchuks, specifically).

Well, what is a zombie or herd of zombies other than the worst swordsmen?  We're not talking about a duel here--you versus one unarmed, braindead zombie.  If you've got a pack of them to contend with, one swing of your sword that doesn't get the head or a stab that misses the head is probably the second- or third-to-last thing you'll ever do.  I get what you're saying with the flail weapons.  I agree, but I'm also not telling everyone to grab a cat o' ninetails in case of the apocalypse.  And a full size katana weighs a lot more than an aluminum baseball bat; yes, it's also longer, which has positives and negatives. 

Perhaps it's the strategy that I'm assuming people will take with a sword--more of an attack than defense.  I mean, if I'm being swarmed by zombies, I'm clearing a path to get some distance between me and them, not standing around unsheathe my sword and take them all out before sauntering away, which is what I imagine most people envisioning themselves doing with a sword.  Bash, bash, bash, run, pop, pop, pop.  That's my close quarters plan. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on October 19, 2013, 01:35:05 PM

I really think for zombies, a rapier would be better than a katana.

S204STi

Katana = razor sharp.  Removes libs more easily.

On second thought, I'll drop the Claymore and go with a mace, or a daibo with a fair amount of skull-crushing power.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: S204STi on October 19, 2013, 02:37:55 PM

On second thought, I'll drop the Claymore and go with a mace, or a daibo with a fair amount of skull-crushing power.

Zombies don't care about lost limbs, and the katana only stays sharp with close and expert care. Swing into a door jamb or any decent sized piece of metal and you've nicked your blade.

Rupert

Quote from: S204STi on October 19, 2013, 02:37:55 PM

You can make any quality sword of any kind razor sharp. You can make any kind of metal with the right properties (not too brittle and not too soft) razor sharp, at that.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 19, 2013, 02:12:57 PM
I really think for zombies, a rapier would be better than a katana.

Katana = slicing; rapier = stabbing. Anyone can survive a few rapier stabs if they miss only a few very small vital areas.

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on October 19, 2013, 01:48:32 PM
And a full size katana weighs a lot more than an aluminum baseball bat; yes, it's also longer, which has positives and negatives. 

The typical katana weighs roughly 1-1.5 kg.  Your typical, adult-sized regulation bat runs .9-1.2 kg.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on October 19, 2013, 03:08:10 PM
Katana = slicing; rapier = stabbing. Anyone can survive a few rapier stabs if they miss only a few very small vital areas.

Zombies only respond to head trauma though. In other words: you have to hit a small, vital area, or else you're just making a mess.

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  on October 19, 2013, 01:11:13 PM

You don't have to be good against Olympic fencers; these are zombies.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on October 19, 2013, 03:08:31 PM
The typical katana weighs roughly 1-1.5 kg.  Your typical, adult-sized regulation bat runs .9-1.2 kg.

Fungo bats and wakazashis it is then.

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 19, 2013, 03:10:16 PM
Zombies only respond to head trauma though. In other words: you have to hit a small, vital area, or else you're just making a mess.

Heads are pretty big, and slicing is more likely to catch the head than stabbing. And removing limbs still counts for something.

S204STi

Quote from: Rupert on October 19, 2013, 03:07:34 PM
You can make any quality sword of any kind razor sharp. You can make any kind of metal with the right properties (not too brittle and not too soft) razor sharp, at that.

w/e but if you remove all their limbs, or behead them, no more pursuit.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on October 19, 2013, 03:14:47 PM

Heads are pretty big, and slicing is more likely to catch the head than stabbing. And removing limbs still counts for something.

Unless you're indoors or otherwise don't have the room for slicing attacks. Even samurais used the katanas mainly on the open battlefield, and kept a shorter sword for indoors (the wakazashi).

Soup DeVille

Quote from: S204STi on October 19, 2013, 03:15:32 PM
w/e but if you remove all their limbs, or behead them, no more pursuit.

Seems like a lot of work to me.

S204STi

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 19, 2013, 03:17:42 PM
Seems like a lot of work to me.

Last resort, really.  That's why I'd go with firearms with considerable stopping power.  The katana is just in case.,

Rupert

Aye. My list of weapons is pretty ridiculously long. Many options preferred before the katana.

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 19, 2013, 03:17:20 PM
Unless you're indoors or otherwise don't have the room for slicing attacks. Even samurais used the katanas mainly on the open battlefield, and kept a shorter sword for indoors (the wakazashi).

No doubt. If I could only have one weapon, it wouldn't be a katana, tell you what.