2015 Dodge/SRT Brand Challenger Thread

Started by Atomic, November 06, 2013, 05:17:23 PM

Atomic

As predicted, Chrysler Corporation's Dodge Division is expected to unveil its 2015-MY Challenger (along with an even hotter SRT branded model)* at roughly 7:30 p.m. EST, today, November 6, 2013. Stay tune for pics or follow the reveal LIVE online at the link, below.

There is no telling at this stage if BOTH Dodge and SRT versions of the muscle car will be introduced tonight... or merely. Nevertheless, many should be excited. Earlier today, Chrysler showcased this gorgeous 2014 Challenger... Tom

2014-MY Dodge Challenger R/T Shaker, Above

And Yet Another MY14 Dodge Challenger...

2014 Dodge Challenger R/T Shaker MOPAR Edition, Above & Below

:mrcool:

Atomic

ADDITIONAL NEWS

What SEMA Surprise Debut is Dodge Hiding Under These Black Covers? [Live Stream]*

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 05, 2013 CATEGORIES: DODGE, DODGE CHALLENGER, MYSTERY SCOOP, SEMA SHOW

Update: Watch the reveal live from the SEMA Show in the video after the jump

We just received an intriguing email from one of Dodge's partners informing us about a "big announcement" from the brand at the SEMA Show in Las Vegas today.

Here's what Dodge says: "We'll be holding our SEMA press conference later today at 4:40 p.m. PST (7:40pm EST) and you Dodge fans will be smiling ear-to-ear and clamoring for more details when you hear what our Dodge Brand CEO, Tim Kuniskis, is going to reveal."

To help (...or complicate) things, we also have this picture of the surprise car hidden underneath some black covers at Mopar's stand.

We've heard some people say that your first guess is the most likely to be right one, so here goes: the outline of rear end reminds us of a Dodge Challenger with a big spoiler/wing attached to the boot, so we're going to go with that.

Plus, we have heard that Dodge is actively working on some updates for the Challenger, including the use of a supercharged 6.4-liter HEMI V8 called the "Hellcat" for the SRT8. Could it be this car? Well, we'll soon find out, won't we...

In the meantime, tell us what you think is lurking beneath the black wraps in the comments.

*My apologizes, as the "Live Stream" link is not transferring onto post... Will include pics upon availability

Atomic

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SVT32V

707 hp, nice. I didn't expect it to top the trinity 5.8, especially after the SC LT1 came up short.

hotrodalex

I'll wait until a review to see if it can actually handle the power or if it's just a drag car.

GoCougs

I'm seeing another Shelby GT500 - a whole lotta motor + styling in an old chassis = not all that useful. Will have to venture on over to Chevy for useful big power ;).

SVT32V

Much like the GT500, I imagine the hellcat will have ZL-1s looking for their panties at the stoplights or highway rolls. Of course, this is where most of the pony cars wars are won and lost.

The SC-LT1 certainly seems disappointing in light of the hellcat, not to mention the several year old trinity 5.8.

68_427

GM wasn't trying to have the most HP with the SC-LT1. 
'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

Quote from: 68_427 on July 01, 2014, 07:27:27 PM
GM wasn't trying to have the most HP with the SC-LT1. 

Nope, GM already did that more than 5 years ago with the ZR1 ;). Even with "only" ~625 hp the C7 Z06 will be in another universe of performance WRT the GT500 or Hellcat and the C7 ZR1 won't even enter the discussion.

With old platforms there wasn't a whole lot to do to the Mustang and Challenger other than more power. With new/newer platforms Chevy had flexibility to make better overall performing cars - 1LE, ZL1, Z28, Z06 and ZR1.

Galaxy

Even if it is suboptimal in many regards, 707hp for what I presume will be a base price of between $60k - 70k is damn impressive.

Char

I feel sorry that such an engine is paired to that car. What an overweight pig.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

Payman

Quote from: Char on July 02, 2014, 01:04:03 PM
I feel sorry that such an engine is paired to that car. What an overweight pig.

You've driven one?

Are the GT-R and Veyron pigs as well?

This category of car (muscle car) was never about low weight or handling. Hell, a Honda Fit could probably destroy a '70 Hemi 'Cuda around a tight racetrack. Muscle cars are all about the cool factor. Monster engines, badass looks and general go-fuck-yourself-ness. I love that the Hellcat exists in this oppressive age, and I'd love to own one.

MrH

:thumbsup:  This thing is silly awesome.  We were working on it, and I was hearing reports about the power.  Didn't think it was going to end up with 700+ though :mask:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Galaxy

Quote from: Char on July 02, 2014, 01:04:03 PM
I feel sorry that such an engine is paired to that car.

I'm sure they will put this engine into a Ram truck in the not to distant future.  :lol:

They probably will.  :mask:

Payman

They should take that V10 lump out of the Viper and use this engine. Never liked the sound nor throttle response of the V10.

SVT666

The name is awesome too.  I agree Rocky.  The Viper should go big ass V8 and dump the V10.  It sounds like ass and always has.

MX793

Quote from: Rockraven on July 02, 2014, 01:23:04 PM
You've driven one?

This category of car (muscle car) was never about low weight or handling. Hell, a Honda Fit could probably destroy a '70 Hemi 'Cuda around a tight racetrack. Muscle cars are all about the cool factor. Monster engines, badass looks and general go-fuck-yourself-ness. I love that the Hellcat exists in this oppressive age, and I'd love to own one.

Yes, the Veyron is a heavy pig.  And the Challenger and Veyron weigh hundreds of pounds more than a GT-R (which isn't a lightweight, but is solidly under 2 tons).

That said, this thing is still awesome by virtue of how outrageous it is.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

I've driven a GT-R on a track and even though it does stuff it shouldn't be able to, it still feels heavy.

Galaxy

68_427

Quote from: SVT666 on July 02, 2014, 02:44:23 PM
The name is awesome too.  I agree Rocky.  The Viper should go big ass V8 and dump the V10.  It sounds like ass and always has.

The V10 has lots of untapped potential.  Gilles has said that engine could make more power than the F12s V12, but Fiat/Ferrari have said the Viper cannot eclipse the power/weight ratio of the F12.

I think there should be a V8 Viper that sits below the V10 though.
'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

68_427

Quote from: Rockraven on July 11, 2014, 10:24:47 AM
It's a full second faster in the quarter mile than the VIPER!  :mask:

http://jalopnik.com/the-707-hp-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-is-a-10-second-1603567665

With drag radials and 8spd auto.  the 125/126mph trap speed isn't that impressive.
'racecar is die'
no

Payman

Quote from: 68_427 on July 11, 2014, 10:51:47 AM
With drag radials and 8spd auto.  the 125/126mph trap speed isn't that impressive.

"Similarly, with its production tires, the Hellcat runs the quarter in 11.2 seconds at 125 mph, also certified."  That's still almost a half second quicker than the ~500 lb lighter Viper. If you're not impressed, I don't know what to do for you.

Rupert

If there was a really good handling package for the Challenger... It looks so cool, but doesn't back it up in the ways I care about.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on July 02, 2014, 01:23:04 PM
Cant speak on the Veyron, but if it's like the GT-R I drove then yes its a pig too. The Veyron at least has a sporty seating position and nice interior though.

Nowadays a 1 trick pony is no good. Anyone can build a car with 1000 HP or a car that gets crazy lap times. But to build a car that's great in a wide range of categories and uses... straight line, turns, track, street... that's something to talk about. Cars like this or the Super Snake try to cash in on that old muscle car classic formula without having the context (of general automotive awfulness) that made old muscle cars "great". Today such cars are just terrible handling overpowered land barges.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 11, 2014, 01:03:18 PM
Cant speak on the Veyron, but if it's like the GT-R I drove then yes its a pig too. The Veyron at least has a sporty seating position and nice interior though.

Nowadays a 1 trick pony is no good. Anyone can build a car with 1000 HP or a car that gets crazy lap times. But to build a car that's great in a wide range of categories and uses... straight line, turns, track, street... that's something to talk about. Cars like this or the Super Snake try to cash in on that old muscle car classic formula without having the context (of general automotive awfulness) that made old muscle cars "great". Today such cars are just terrible handling overpowered land barges.

I don't buy that. Today's muscle cars are much better all-around cars than their '60s predecessors. A 2015 Challenger can perform 90% of the tasks a mainstream sedan can do, and still be 1000% cooler. The only real downside to owning one of these cars (if gas prices don't bother you) is if you live in a northern climate and don't have a garage. Additionally, the new Mustang has IRS, as does the Camaro and Challenger. They are just fine in the handling department, and the new Z28 is proving to be one of the best handling cars in the world. I love that these cars exist, and if people stop fooling themselves that only a Corvette or Cayman is an acceptable performance car, maybe they can accept and appreciate these wonderful machines.