944 Suspension

Started by Rupert, December 14, 2013, 03:38:16 PM

hotrodalex

Other option is to run some sick stretched tires in the back. 7" and 9" wheels with 205s all around ahhhh yeahhh.

Rupert

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 23, 2014, 03:05:47 AM
Assuming the sway bar is of a decent size, it should overcome the staggeredness.

Nah, I already have understeer to get rid of. I'm putting a little bit bigger bar on the front, too. (The 944s that came with a rear bar like I'm putting on also came with the bigger front bar that I'm putting on).
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 23, 2014, 03:07:44 AM
Other option is to run some sick stretched tires in the back. 7" and 9" wheels with 205s all around ahhhh yeahhh.

GTFO
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Finally got around to installing the rear sway bar-- or trying to, goddammit. Nothing is ever easy. There are some stripped threads that I have to deal with. Also, my nice floor jack bit the dust with the car in the air (can't let it down), so I had to use another stupid jack, etc. to get the thing out.

That, plus some other annoying little things, I might just have a mechanic do it. I don't seem to ever have the time/will.

MexicoCityM3

I stand in awe at your ability to do these things.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Rupert

Ability to throw my hands up and call a professional, you mean?

I did get a couple of Explorer things done today, so it wasn't a complete automotive waste of a day.

FlatBlackCaddy

Rupert

And a lazy one at that...

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

I don't think either of those things will help the handling.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on October 08, 2014, 08:07:00 PM
I don't think either of those things will help the handling.

I hear it helps to be hellaflush.

Rupert

The headlights are Hella. Maybe I should draw a toilet on the lens.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on October 08, 2014, 08:10:47 PM
The headlights are Hella. Maybe I should draw a toilet on the lens.

Put a flush handle on it.

Rupert

I'll replace the door handles.

Rupert

Finally got the sway bar on, but not until I chased down the right tap to chase the threads, etc. Actually went pretty well this time. Haven't driven around a huge amount, but I think the understeer issue is pretty much taken care of. Haven't put the thicker front bar on yet. I think at this point, I'll drive around like it is for a while. If it turns out to be oversteer-y, I'll either put the thicker front bar on, or move to wider rear wheels (see earlier debate about wheel widths).

Rupert

I like the setup as it is right now. Really good balance, nice ride. Not sure anymore that I want wheels, but pretty sure I would want the same width all around. Will need to do some  [more, protracted] considering.

But first! I think my other ball joint is going bad ($$$), and I think my AFM is very ready to be replaced with a MAF setup ($$$). At some point, I want to get this thing for-real no expense spared aligned right, as well ($). Wheels are at least $$$, so I'm looking at $$$$$$$$$$, which means it will be awhile.