Mercedes Sprinter

Started by CWW, November 25, 2005, 05:23:09 AM

CWW

How the new Sprinter could look with an optional sport package...:

<< Mercedes Sprinter >>

Btw.: That truck comes with an V6 engine producing 258hp...

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

SaltyDog

I like it.  It's sold as a Dodge in the US I think.  The only way to buy a new Mercedes diesel.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

ifcar

They also sell the E320 CDI.  

TBR

I hope the bring they new Sprinter to the US, the current one is the best fullsize van available but its weak engine has kept it from being a serious contender..

BMWDave

QuoteI hope the bring they new Sprinter to the US, the current one is the best fullsize van available but its weak engine has kept it from being a serious contender..
That weak engine gets about 25mpg...for businesses, that means A LOT! ;)  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

For businesses the ability to haul equipment at freeway speeds also means a lot. And. I am fine with them offering the 2.7l  as the base engine, but they should offer at least the 3.2l as an option.

CWW

Stuttgart, Nov 22, 2005
For ten years now the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter has led the way in what has long been known as the ?Sprinter class? in Europe. With some 1.3 million units sold, the Sprinter?s record as the market leader for vans with gross vehicle weights of around 3.5 t speaks for itself. A new Sprinter is due for launch in the spring of next year and will once again set the benchmark. Its emotive design represents a flawless blend of form and function and whets the appetite for the innovative and practical technology under the surface.
Versatile: body and engine variants to meet all requirements

With three wheelbases, four body lengths ranging from 5243 mm to 7343 mm, three roof heights and a wealth of body options, the new Sprinter is even more flexible than its predecessor. The new range includes variants between 3.0 and 5.0 t gross vehicle weight and, as a panel van with a load capacity of 7 to 17 m? for example, it meets almost every conceivable requirement.

The same is true of the engine variants. The powerful, cutting-edge four and six-cylinder CDI diesel engines with outputs ranging from 65 kW (88 hp) to 135 kW (184 hp) respond to every need. All of the Euro 4/EU 4 diesel engines are fitted with a particulate filter. The V6 petrol powerplant, meanwhile, delivers exceptional levels of comfort and effortless performance with its output of 190 kW (258 hp).

Among the many innovations of the new Sprinter are a variant with 4.6 t gross vehicle weight and space-saving Super-Single tyres for the rear wheels.

Safety first: ADAPTIVE ESP? for all models, strong brakes, bi-xenon head-lamps

The already exemplary safety features of the outgoing Sprinter have been improved on still further in the new model. Various different bodyshell measures have taken the vehicle?s crash responses to a whole new level. Added to which, thorax airbags are now also available in addition to the driver?s and front passenger airbags and windowbags fitted in its predecessor. Another highlight is the standard addition on all models of ADAPTIVE ESP? - the latest generation of the Electronic Stability Program (ESP?). Its extended functionality allows this system to, among other things, measure the weight of the vehicle?s load, calculate the centre of gravity and adapt its responses precisely according to these factors.

The Sprinter?s chassis is even more agile than before and now offers even greater active safety. Included as standard on all models are 16-inch wheels with a highly effective and durable braking system, including disc brakes all round, the anti-lock braking system (ABS), electronic brake force distribution and hydraulic Brake Assist (BAS).

Safety is further enhanced by the optional bi-xenon headlamps with the additional Add-Light System and cornering light function - a new dimension in light and therefore safety technology for vans.

Convenience-enhancing: extensive standard equipment, innovative extras

Convenience is also an important issue in a van and the new Sprinter ticks this box with standard-fitted power windows and central locking with radio remote control. Another noteworthy feature is the new interior concept with even better ergonomics and a substantial increase in stowage areas inside the driver?s cab. This is another area in which the Sprinter raises the bar in its class ? and the same applies to the large number of new individual options headed by the innovative access system, Keyless Entry and Slide. This system provides automatic locking and unlocking of all doors and automatic opening and closing of the sliding load compartment door.

The launch of the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter will begin at the end of March 2006. The new van will be produced at the plants in D?sseldorf (panel van and crew-bus) and Ludwigsfelde near Berlin (pickups and chassis incl. crewcabs).

ifcar

QuoteI hope the bring they new Sprinter to the US, the current one is the best fullsize van available but its weak engine has kept it from being a serious contender..
The Sprinter gets great gas mileage and has tons of interior space, but it isn't well-rounded for most businesses. It's expensive and slow, too high even in base form to get into some places, has an awful driving position, and a very weak air conditioner, among other things.

An Econoline or an Express offer sufficient usable space for most businesses for much less money. The gas mileage difference simply can't compensate for that and for the Sprinter's other flaws, especially considering the higher cost of diesel.  

TBR

The Sprinter gets great gas mileage and has tons of interior space, but it isn't well-rounded for most businesses. It's expensive and slow, too high even in base form to get into some places, has an awful driving position, and a very weak air conditioner, among other things.

An Econoline or an Express offer sufficient usable space for most businesses for much less money. The gas mileage difference simply can't compensate for that and for the Sprinter's other flaws, especially considering the higher cost of diesel.
Gas price v. diesel price is entirely regional, in some places diesel is much cheaper than gas (than was certainl;y true here before Katrina, but I haven't checked diesel prices lately). The Sprinter's msrp is very  comparable to the domestic vans, though its tmv is much higher. The A/C problem also isn't a problem if you opt fo the heavy duty rear A/C unit.  As far as the height issue goes, I have a hard time believing that a standard height Sprinter is any taller than an Econoline, but then I haven't seen the two side by side (and, that is only an issue in the city). Finally, for the driving position, I would be willing to forego a little personal comfort for the safety of my passengars, the domestic fullsizers are death traps (from the b-pillar back the only protection offered is from the sheet metal, cardboard, and interior plastic).

93JC

QuoteThe Sprinter's msrp is very  comparable to the domestic vans, though its tmv is much higher.
?Qu??

Sprinter 2500 118in WB cargo: C$39,135
E-150 Cargo: C$29,099
Express 1500: C$27,080

QuoteAs far as the height issue goes, I have a hard time believing that a standard height Sprinter is any taller than an Econoline, but then I haven't seen the two side by side (and, that is only an issue in the city).

Sprinter 2500 118in WB cargo: 93.1"
E-150 Cargo: 81.2"

QuoteFinally, for the driving position, I would be willing to forego a little personal comfort for the safety of my passengars, the domestic fullsizers are death traps (from the b-pillar back the only protection offered is from the sheet metal, cardboard, and interior plastic).

:mellow:

TBR

Sprinter- $29881, 94.5"
Econoline- $26170, 81.2"
Express- $26770, 79.4"

So I guess it is considerably taller, but once again that doesn't matter unless the van will mainly be used in downtown areas. The price difference is also larger than I would have thought, but the Sprinter's massive safety advantage makes it worth the extra dough imho, unless you are towing.

93JC

Wow, you yankees sure get a good deal on the Sprinter. Anyone who buys one up here is an idiot.

I'm curious as to what this so-called "safety advantage" entails. 'Cause, I mean, I've been in a Sprinter, and I don't remember any particularly obvious safety equipment...

TBR

It isn't about what the Sprinter has, it is about what the Econoline/Express don't have.  There is no crash structure from the b-pillar back.  They are so dangerous that is illegal for a dealer in TX to sell an Econoline or Express to a school or church that intends to use them to transport children. ESC makes them a lot safer, but no electronic device can stop a vehicle as top heavy as a fully loaded fullsize van from rolling and when they do there is almost no protection for anyone besides the driver and front passengar.

ifcar

And the Sprinter is appreciably better? More importantly, is it $6,000 better?

The 2006 Ford Econoline at the MSRP you provided is currently no-haggle at $22,872. The cheapest 06 Sprinter wagon stickers at $30,465 (couldn't find the price you listed), with a TMV price of $28,824.

Looking at that difference, and considering that most full-sized vans (particularly those purchased by businesses) are more frequently used for cargo than passenger transport, and the Sprinter just isn't a reasonable alternative.  

TBR

To a certain extent I agree with you, businesses typically go for the cheapest thing that can   do what needs to be done, and the Econoline/Express fit that bill better than the Sprinter does. Actually, when I made my original post about the Sprinter needing more power I was actually thinking of people who would want to tow boats and RVs with it, I didn't even think about businesses at all until Dave brought them up. To be quite frank I don't even know what we're arguing about here and why we are arguing about it. I said that the Sprinter is the best fullsize van (ignoring price, not as big of a factor to personal buyers) but it needed more power, both comments that few would disagree with (I think so anyway).

ifcar

It's severely lacking in too many areas to be considered the best in its class, much less be considered worth the extra money over its conventional competitors.  

TBR

So then what is the best in class? The Econoline? A vehicle so dangerous that the government forbids dealers from selling it to particular groups? The Sprinter may be a little weak in the power department, but it handles better, gets much better gas mileage, has more room, and is much safer. None of the fullsize vans are really winners, but the Sprinter comes closest to being one.  

ifcar

The Express van is the most well-rounded IMO. Inexpensive and powerful, safe handling, decent ride comfort, plenty of interior space. The Econoline has its handling issues, the Sprinter is frightfully expensive and underpowered.

Though FWIW, I'd be inclined to buy the Sprinter if I were personally buying a jumbo-van.

93JC

QuoteThe Express van is the most well-rounded IMO.
Mm-hmm.

TBR

QuoteThe Express van is the most well-rounded IMO. Inexpensive and powerful, safe handling, decent ride comfort, plenty of interior space. The Econoline has its handling issues, the Sprinter is frightfully expensive and underpowered.

Though FWIW, I'd be inclined to buy the Sprinter if I were personally buying a jumbo-van.
Since when is costing $3k more frightly expensive? It's a lot of money, but it isn't that much money. Perhaps if you were buying a van for a work vehicle, ie to transport two people and  their  equipment, then the Express might make the most sense. But, for passengar transportation there is no doubt in my mind that the  Sprinter the best choice, unless you need to tow (which is why I suggested it needed more power in the first place).

ifcar

It's more like $5k between the Sprinter TMV and Express Red Tag price, and the Econoline Keep It Simple is another $1k below that.

Getting better gas mileage doesn't make it a better passenger hauler. And I've seen complaints of its long-term rear-seat comfort as well.

TBR

Being reasonably safe makes it a better passengar hauler, I never connected gas mileage and passengar transporting together. And, the Econoline is hardly comfortable either.

ifcar

The Econoline is only spacious and inexpensive. It doesn't really have any other significant strong points.

And you still never supported your statement that the Sprinter was in fact safer than the others (though it wouldn't really surprise me).

And even if it is the case, safety seems to have its price: $6,000. Most people would be more likely to take their chances with the van's size in a crash, and it's hard to criticize such a decision.

TBR

Most accidents involving fullsize vans are one vehicle crashes, size doesn't help there. Those things roll easily and the  American vans just have no safety structure to protect rear seat passengars in such an event.

And, the Sprinter or an expensive mini-bus are the only  options for many people who need  9+ passengar capability, and in that case the Sprinter is a much better value.  

ifcar

You still haven't proven that the Sprinter is significantly better. And looking at the Sprinter's cg, it wouldn't be unreasonable to suggest that it is even more prone to roll over than the American vans.

"And, the Sprinter or an expensive mini-bus are the only options for many people who need 9+ passengar capability, and in that case the Sprinter is a much better value."

Maybe in Texas. Anywhere else you can just buy the others.

And looking around, a minibus really isn't that expensive. I found a new 16-passenger GMC for under $36k "before manufacturer discounts".

TBR

The Sprinter is probably more likely to roll, but it has the structure to protect passengars in such an event, the Econline and Express don't. Unfortunately, I read the information regarding the American van's lack of safety structure in a printed safety course for them, so I can't provide a source. Let me do some searching.

ifcar

Again, I'd like to see the evidence of the Sprinter's superior safety cage. I'm not interested in any source that doesn't directly compare the three vans.

And in case you missed it, I edited my previous post to include the minibus info.

93JC

You really are quite mad.