Corvette project car

Started by 280Z Turbo, April 18, 2014, 09:19:25 PM

280Z Turbo

I'm officially down to one car, but I haven't given up working on old crap. :thumbsup:

Instead of buying a new project car, I decided to invest some money into fixing up my dad's Corvette. I'm not planning a NCRS restoration, but I just want to get it running, driving, and maybe looking better too.

The car was horribly abused and repaired before my dad got it in 1978, but it still goes down the road. The engine is tired and the suspension could use some work.

I'm planning a stock rebuild on the motor this winter. Maybe a slightly hotter cam.

My first order of business is replacing the horrible Cragar S/S's with some Torq Thrust D style mags in the proper size and offset. Not only are these ugly, they are too wide and the offset is all wrong for a Corvette.

Probably going with these:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aew-1117-5734/overview/

It will be fun to learn about old Chevy small blocks and use the other side of my socket set for once. :lol:

280Z Turbo

I'm also thinking a front disc brake swap may be in the cards. Non power front drums can be kinda spooky.

hotrodalex

Holy sidewall.

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on April 18, 2014, 09:22:32 PM
I'm also thinking a front disc brake swap may be in the cards. Non power front drums can be kinda spooky.

That's what I started with, then I caught pro touring fever. Be warned. Or give in now. Giving in is much more fun.

280Z Turbo

Yeah, there was a bad conversion there from vintage tire size to metric. :lol:

The new tires will be 215/65-15s, down from 215/75-15s.

Also, got it started today. I think the accelerator pump was sticky, but it got better as it ran more.

MX793

I'm guessing that's a '64 based on what I can see?  IIRC, '65 got front discs, so you could just upgrade the brakes to '65 spec and still retain some level of 60s authenticity.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

280Z Turbo

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

280Z Turbo

280Z Turbo

Quote from: MX793 on April 19, 2014, 07:21:06 AM
I'm guessing that's a '64 based on what I can see?  IIRC, '65 got front discs, so you could just upgrade the brakes to '65 spec and still retain some level of 60s authenticity.

Most 1965 models got 4 wheel disc brakes, but it's probably cheaper just to buy an aftermarket kit. I don't know how many parts you have to gather up to make '65 brakes work.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ssb-a137-3/overview/year/1963/make/chevrolet/model/corvette

FoMoJo

Sounds like fun.  Good luck with it.

p.s.  These wheels would be perfect...
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

280Z Turbo

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 21, 2014, 04:57:04 AM
Sounds like fun.  Good luck with it.

p.s.  These wheels would be perfect...

Ok, you buy em. :lol:

280Z Turbo

I like the gray centers, but I think my dad likes the polished centers better. Boooo. I think the gray looks more 1960s.

I found some firestone tires that aren't white letter dog turds in 215/65-15, but I wish I had more selection. I could pay $300 more and get 17s but they just don't look period correct, IMO.

MX793

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on April 21, 2014, 06:26:46 PM
I like the gray centers, but I think my dad likes the polished centers better. Boooo. I think the gray looks more 1960s.

I found some firestone tires that aren't white letter dog turds in 215/65-15, but I wish I had more selection. I could pay $300 more and get 17s but they just don't look period correct, IMO.

Agree on the 17s.  I saw a resto-mod Vette with retro-styled 17s and it just looked... off.  Tires were just too low profile.
Needs more Jiggawatts

280Z Turbo

There's some debate on Corvette lower rear control arms (they call em strut rods) are more angled than the half shafts. The camber gain curve is pretty aggressive as it was made for bias ply tires. They sell a kit that lowers the inboard strut rod mounting points and makes the camber gain almost nothing.

Seems to me that this would make the handling worse and cause track changes. It also lowers the roll center, which is a can of worms in of itself.

AutobahnSHO

ANY amount of tinkering will affect things and even if you're an automotive engineer it's hit or miss how the changes will affect handling/ride....

I personally wouldn't be changing the stock setup (which was obviously tweaked by those who knew what they were doing) without some money available to fix any negative effects.....
Will

MrH

I'll take a closer look tonight.  I know nothing about old vette suspensions, but a former GM vette developer and pooprod fanatic works with me.  He can break it all down for us.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 29, 2014, 08:27:34 AM
ANY amount of tinkering will affect things and even if you're an automotive engineer it's hit or miss how the changes will affect handling/ride....

I personally wouldn't be changing the stock setup (which was obviously tweaked by those who knew what they were doing) without some money available to fix any negative effects.....

Keep in mind this car was developed a LONG time ago.  I don't think they even believed in crumple zones back then.  They tried to make the entire body of the car not crumple as much as possible.  An old worn corvette is far from being some finely tuned piece of engineering prowess.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

hotrodalex

Yeah there's a lot of big gains that can be made with old 60's car suspensions. Not sure about this one, though.

GoCougs

There's more engineering in it than you probably think. Their test/analysis tools were very limited but they were clever bastards.

IMO it's going to be enough work just to get the car to factory specs - new u-joints, new bushings, new springs, new shocks, good set of tires - and it'll pay big dividends.

hotrodalex

C3 Vette's use a lower mounting position. I'd say moving to that bracket would be a good idea - is the one you're looking at more extreme than the stock C3?

Soup DeVille

It's my thought that the lower strut rod should be closer to parallel with the halfshafts, and that the distance between the center of the wheels and the lower strut mounting point should be roughly equal with the distance between the inner u-joints and the inner strut mounting point.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MrH on April 29, 2014, 08:37:54 AM
Keep in mind this car was developed a LONG time ago.  I don't think they even believed in crumple zones back then.  They tried to make the entire body of the car not crumple as much as possible.  An old worn corvette is far from being some finely tuned piece of engineering prowess.

True, and I don't doubt that tuners have figured out some pretty awesome stuff. Still, GM spent a LOT of money getting the best product they could to market, keeping costs down of course. So while there is definite room for tweakage, I still would be cautious.
Will

Rupert

Every car is a compromise.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on April 29, 2014, 09:34:55 AM
There's more engineering in it than you probably think. Their test/analysis tools were very limited but they were clever bastards.

IMO it's going to be enough work just to get the car to factory specs - new u-joints, new bushings, new springs, new shocks, good set of tires - and it'll pay big dividends.

GM aren't clever bastards now. They definitely weren't clever bastards half a century ago :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

hotrodalex

If they were that clever the pro touring scene wouldn't be so lucrative.

hotrodalex

What made you consider this upgrade?

If you plan on keeping the rest of the suspension stock and haven't had any issues with it, it might be best to save the money. If you've noticed it and want to fix the camber curve and don't mind a $200 order, go for it.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 29, 2014, 09:02:29 PM
What made you consider this upgrade?

If you plan on keeping the rest of the suspension stock and haven't had any issues with it, it might be best to save the money. If you've noticed it and want to fix the camber curve and don't mind a $200 order, go for it.

Want to replace the strut rods anyways. One of them was bent.

hotrodalex

How much are normal strut rods?